Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Industria Chemistry? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Industria Chemistry? (2756 Views)

Meet Uzoma Dozie New MD Of Diamond Bank And Graduate Of Chemistry / Can A Chemistry Graduate Work In Oil Company? / Chemistry Graduate In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Industria Chemistry? by deolu2000(m): 8:45am On Sep 24, 2009
Please nairalanders,i need your help on my course of study which is industrial chemistry at unilorin.please need your help on how lucrative this course is in the labour market because i don't see many vacancy requiring an industrial chemist.
Re: Industria Chemistry? by dapee(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2009
Well this is my opinion on the subject matter.Nigeria's economy relies on importation of finished products becos there is no infrastructure to drive manufacturing.The cost of production for some these companies is high so they  cannot compete effectively with the imported goods becos there are far more cheaper .That is the fact but if your vision is to be an industrial chemist you may need to go for your postgraduate studies with God on your side you will get there.I am a graduate of chemistry but i am changing my career path.
Re: Industria Chemistry? by neemat: 12:04pm On Sep 24, 2009
the truth of the matter is dat u av to be prayerful.i studied industrial chemistry ,i graduated 2005 frm unilorin and all the jobs av been doing is not related to my course.Nigeria of today u will see a mechanical engineer working in a bank.so take the course and be prayerful
Re: Industria Chemistry? by nnaawiz: 10:22pm On Sep 24, 2009
Bros,
First thing first. Get your degree first and then find out what u really want to be. I studied Industrial Chemistry but right now I have picked PGD form because I am changing my field.The country does not appreciate and recognise chemists,just few vacancies are there. But with God all things are possible.
Re: Industria Chemistry? by deolu2000(m): 1:57am On Sep 25, 2009
Wel,tanx to u al.but plz is it dt d chemical allied companies ar nt functioning b'z atleast we hv a few around?plz my fellow nairalanders i need ur help b'z am in my 2nd yr nd nw am afraid.i also blive dt God can do al thgs if u hv d faith or wot do u guyz think?
Re: Industria Chemistry? by ayoorr: 2:19pm On Sep 25, 2009
We live in a consuming economy not in a manufacturing one, we both made the mistake of studying that course which kept me for 5 years in the university although I had a 2:1 which is equivalent to 2:1 in “Yoruba Engineering” if there is something like that in the banking sector (where I work). All hope is not lost as there are few spaces for the lucky ones. I will never advise anybody to study those “yeye” course in Nigeria again where there are not applicable rather do something on Management, Accounting, Marketing and other related courses.
Re: Industria Chemistry? by deolu2000(m): 5:23pm On Sep 25, 2009
@broz ayorr nd others,u nd evry1 here hv d same issue.which is non practising in ur field.wel,i jst wnt to knw dt,when i get out of unilorin with my degree in ICH,can i work with d certificate in any other institution?b'z i dnt wnt to be useless at home after graduating?
Re: Industria Chemistry? by kay80(m): 8:29pm On Sep 29, 2009
deolu2000:

@broz ayorr nd others,u nd evry1 here hv d same issue.which is non practising in your field.wel,i jst wnt to knw dt,when i get out of unilorin with my degree in ICH,can i work with d certificate in any other institution?b'z i dnt wnt to be useless at home after graduating?

They have said it all. Try and get good grade out of the course (preferably 2:1). Believe me, you will surely get better opportunities.
Re: Industria Chemistry? by qeemus: 8:34pm On Sep 29, 2009
kay80:

They have said it all. Try and get good grade out of the course (preferably 2:1). Believe me, you will surely get better opportunities.
I also finished from unilorin(2002)and believe me only one person can graduate with 2:1 at any given year(still wondering why).I've been in the aviation line ever since,cant remember a thing bout ICH
Re: Industria Chemistry? by Chemical2(m): 8:46pm On Sep 29, 2009
I studied Industrial Chemistry at University of Benin.I must say that would be a good start for you,the most important thing for you is to know your onions.A chemist finds applications in so many areas even in Nigeria although grossly under-utilized.I am currently in FirstBank though,but anywhere you go as a chemist,you are appreciated and most people wants to discuss with you.Follow your heart my guy.See you at the Chemical Society of Nigeria.
NB;MOST BANKS AND ORGANIZATIONS REQUIRES A FIRST DEGREE FROM ANY COURSE FOR ENTRY LEVEL.

(1) (Reply)

How I Bagged The Intern Of The Year At Sesewa Nigeria Doing These 4 Things. / Air Hostesses In Nigeria . / Please Any Idea Of Good Acca Lecture Centres In Abuja Or Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.