Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend (2781 Views)

The Need To Eliminate Wage Disparity In Nigerian Public Sectors / A Theory Of Value Vs. Need – The Need For Personal Development. / Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 4:32pm On Aug 11, 2013
Hi guys,
I really feel compelled to write this because I think it’s high time we did sometime about education trend and study patterns in Nigeria (and Africa). Looking at the population of Nigerian students in tertiary institutions (home and abroad), it is saddening that students studying Art related courses constitute a larger percentage than those in pure and applied sciences.

While studying Art courses isn’t a bad idea altogether, but when 70% of the young minds run into Humanities, it becomes a big problem for the nation on the long run especially considering the fact that the world now is a science-defined, idea-driven and innovation-dependent one. Having gone through several top university directories in the States, Canada and United Kingdom, black students (and Nigerians) are wanting in core courses in sciences and applied sciences.

Majority of contemporary inventions (almost 98%) are done by science students in their teens, 20s and 30s. Unfortunately, one can actually count the number of young black inventors on one’s fingers.
Take a look at the list of some of these young inventors:
Mark Zuckerberg (1984) was 20yo when he founded Facebook in 2004, along with Eduardo Saverin (Brazilian) @ 22,
Dustin Moskovitz @ 22, Chris Hughes @ 21 and Andrew McCollum.
Jaan Tallinn (1972) founded SKYPE @ 31 in Estonia.
Max Levchin (1975) was 23yo when he founded PAYPAL in 1998, along with Peter Thiel @31yo, Luke Nosek @ 23yo, Ken
Howery @ 23yo, Elon Musk @ 27yo.
Mike Lazaridis (1961) founded Blackberry in Canada in 1999 @ 38yo
Jan Koum (1977) and Brian Acton (1973) founded WhatsApp in 2009 @ 32yo and 36yo respectively.
Ted Livingston was 20yo when he launched KIK in 2010.
Larry Page (1973) and Sergey Brin (1973) were 25yo when they founded Google in 1998.
Chad Hurley (1977) was 28yo when he founded Youtube in 2005 along with Jawed Karim @ 26yo and Steve Chen @ 27yo.
Kevin Systrom (1984) and Michael Krieger (1986) were 26yo and 24yo when they founded Instagram in 2010.
Jack Dorsey (1976) was 30yo when he founded Twitter in 2006 along with Evan Williams and Biz Stone.
Talmon Marco, the founder of Viber is in his 30s.
Reid Garrett Hoffman (1967) was 35yo when he founded LinkedIn in 2002
And of course, my favorites, my friends and young Canadian entrepreneurs,
Hongwei Liu (21yo) and Leander Lee (19yo) were just 20yo and 18yo when they started MappedIn in Waterloo, Canada. Now, they are rolling in millions. Check out their 7mins Dragon’s Den presentation here: http://www.mappedin.ca/about (click on the Dragon’s Den Video).

All the apps on Google play, Play Stores and Appstores are developed by teenagers and early 20yos in North America, Asia and Europe; and these apps are downloaded by millions every day. Who isn’t familiar with games like Angry Birds, Jewel Stars, Bubbleshoots, Minecraft, Tetris, Solitaire, Mario, Mortal Kombat, Sudoku, Scrabble, Monopoly, Temple Run, etc All these are being developed by teenagers and 20yos.

Landmark break-throughs are being recorded daily in cancer research, quantum physics, neuroscience, health, environment, engineering, space science, aeronautics, computer science, finance, etc but we hardly hear of Nigeria names (or even Africans) being mentioned. And these are carried out by young scholars - Caucasians and Asians predominantly.

The bottom line is, we have to start encouraging our young ones to venture into science especially from junior high school. When 60% of the students in a university is into Arts and Humanities (Philosophy, Mass Comm, Anthropology, Sociology, History, Political Science, Public Admin, Music, Philosophy, Cultural Dance, Geography, etc), then there is a big problem for the country and the future of the youths. Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths must be encouraged at all cost.

Your opinions and contributions are welcome. Share with us if you know a young black (Nigerian or African) with inventions. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 4:34pm On Aug 11, 2013
Mod, if there is a need to edit the topic, please do so. I would really appreciate if this is moved to the FP. It's an awareness for everyone - the young and the old. Thanks.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Elcapo(m): 2:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
U make sense jare... even for our universities nah only theory den dey teach us.. Frm part 1 to part 5, haba i tire.ooo Imagine a cse graduate nt knwing hw to write any code except an old pascal programming even pascal himself don forget say hin write code wey be pascal. or is it dat our lecturers no sabi any practical ni

2 Likes

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by begwong: 2:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
Abeg MOds,on bended knees FP biko!

#teamlobbyFP#

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by begwong: 2:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
ehrrm! How about 2g0?
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 3:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
El_capo: U make sense jare... even for our universities nah only theory den dey teach us.. Frm part 1 to part 5, haba i tire.ooo Imagine a cse graduate nt knwing hw to write any code except an old pascal programming even pascal himself don forget say hin write code wey be pascal. or is it dat our lecturers no sabi any practical ni
Not to sound too critical, i tell you the truth bro, some (if not all) of our lecturers need to go and update themselves. Those guys do no research, nothing new. Little wonder they teach only the limited they know thus producing average students. Everyday, we hear say scientists discovered this, that, those, these etc abroad in the States, Germany, China, Canada, etc but in Nigeria? Never!
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by 360command: 3:18pm On Aug 13, 2013
with those ARTS you mentioned which seems not good enough for you , i think there is still alot for ART student in Nigeria and Africa to discover .We need art and science , we cannot all jump on the same boat. The fact that other countries are going into technology does not mean every country should follow. There must be a balance of trade so as it can become a globalized world/economy for everyone.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 3:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
360command: with those ARTS you mentioned which seems not good enough for you , i think there is still alot for ART student in Nigeria and Africa to discover .We need art and science , we cannot all jump on the same boat. The fact that other countries are going into technology does not mean every country should follow. There must be a balance of trade so as it can become a globalized world/economy for everyone.
Agreed, we need Arts. i did not say it was bad. Check the write up. Having been in the academics for a while (nIgeria and abroad), I felt so compelled to write that. Imagine an engineering or computer science student who studied for 5 years without writing any program or code or develop any computer idea. High school students here write better programmes that most of our graduates. It is true bro. I was in Arts and I had a First Class from one of Nigeria's best (currently best actually.) but I switched a little into sciences just to up my game. Even someone who studied History still needs to be sound in tech esp in this modern world of iphones, notebook, palm tops etc...We are seriously lagging behind bro. This is meant to be a wake up call, not much of a debate.
Even our own dear Nairaland remains almost dormant all these years with little next to nothing changing in its platform, features or services. Same cannot be said of Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc some of which started after nairaland. That's not creativity...that's dormancy. MTN, and co cheat us daily even if we pay 10kobo per sms because they know we don't know what's up. In Canada, you could make free calls international (to US)...most of these intel telecomms don't make half of what MTN and co makes from Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 4:08pm On Aug 13, 2013
We have geography graduates and lecturers yet we do not have e-maps working for us. No GPS, nothing.
We have engineers yet we cannot even manufacture electonics inspite of our population. Chinese phones flood our markets and we rush to buy them. all developed by kids. The first rounds of china phones that came to Nigeria were just experimental ones just to see how some outdated software worked. Now, thy are developing world competitors HTC and co. we kept mocking them but now, we are at their mercies.
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING AT SCHOOOOOOOOOL?? angry angry angry
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Emekayoung(m): 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
delors: We have geography graduates and lecturers yet we do not have e-maps working for us. No GPS, nothing.
We have engineers yet we cannot even manufacture electonics inspite of our population. Chinese phones flood our markets and we rush to buy them. all developed by kids. The first rounds of china phones that came to Nigeria were just experimental ones just to see how some outdated software worked. Now, thy are developing world competitors HTC and co. we kept mocking them but now, we are at their mercies.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Emekayoung(m): 5:24pm On Aug 13, 2013
delors: We have geography graduates and lecturers yet we do not have e-maps working for us. No GPS, nothing.
Meeeenn,u really tried for dis article,its not easy to dedicate time and all that,and i knw most people will learn frm dis ur write up,kip it flowing bro,respect.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 2:29pm On Aug 15, 2013
Mr Moderator (CrazyMan), I bow to you o. So none of the topics in your section dey hit front page in spite of the resuorcefulness of the topics abi? When other yeye unimportant uncommentable unbelievable topics dey make front page on a daily basis undecided ? Later una go dey yab our politicians and leaders when na like this dem take start. Even copy-and-paste topics wey people don over-read from yahoo, facebook, give-me-sport, etc dey make FP without a single comment or up to 100 views.
Better wake up bros.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by CaptJHMiller: 7:31pm On Aug 15, 2013
What did you divert into?
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Lordave: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2013
delors: Mr Moderator (CrazyMan), I bow to you o. So none of the topics in your section dey hit front page in spite of the resuorcefulness of the topics abi? When other yeye unimportant uncommentable unbelievable topics dey make front page on a daily basis undecided ? Later una go dey yab our politicians and leaders when na like this dem take start. Even copy-and-paste topics wey people don over-read from yahoo, facebook, give-me-sport, etc dey make FP without a single comment or up to 100 views.
Better wake up bros.
you don't have to keep reminding them of their duty. You've done your part perfectly well,now it's left for them to carry out their routine simple duty.

Nairaland's mods are indeed clueless and visionless, most of em lack intellectuall finesse.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by SaintChukz(m): 12:03pm On Aug 16, 2013
delors: Hi guys,
I really feel compelled to write this because I think it’s high time we did sometime about education trend and study patterns in Nigeria (and Africa). Looking at the population of Nigerian students in tertiary institutions (home and abroad), it is saddening that students studying Art related courses constitute a larger percentage than those in pure and applied sciences.

While studying Art courses isn’t a bad idea altogether, but when 70% of the young minds run into Humanities, it becomes a big problem for the nation on the long run especially considering the fact that the world now is a science-defined, idea-driven and innovation-dependent one. Having gone through several top university directories in the States, Canada and United Kingdom, black students (and Nigerians) are wanting in core courses in sciences and applied sciences.

Majority of contemporary inventions (almost 98%) are done by science students in their teens, 20s and 30s. Unfortunately, one can actually count the number of young black inventors on one’s fingers.
Take a look at the list of some of these young inventors:
Mark Zuckerberg (1984) was 20yo when he founded Facebook in 2004, along with Eduardo Saverin (Brazilian) @ 22,
Dustin Moskovitz @ 22, Chris Hughes @ 21 and Andrew McCollum.
Jaan Tallinn (1972) founded SKYPE @ 31 in Estonia.
Max Levchin (1975) was 23yo when he founded PAYPAL in 1998, along with Peter Thiel @31yo, Luke Nosek @ 23yo, Ken
Howery @ 23yo, Elon Musk @ 27yo.
Mike Lazaridis (1961) founded Blackberry in Canada in 1999 @ 38yo
Jan Koum (1977) and Brian Acton (1973) founded WhatsApp in 2009 @ 32yo and 36yo respectively.
Ted Livingston was 20yo when he launched KIK in 2010.
Larry Page (1973) and Sergey Brin (1973) were 25yo when they founded Google in 1998.
Chad Hurley (1977) was 28yo when he founded Youtube in 2005 along with Jawed Karim @ 26yo and Steve Chen @ 27yo.
Kevin Systrom (1984) and Michael Krieger (1986) were 26yo and 24yo when they founded Instagram in 2010.
Jack Dorsey (1976) was 30yo when he founded Twitter in 2006 along with Evan Williams and Biz Stone.
Talmon Marco, the founder of Viber is in his 30s.
Reid Garrett Hoffman (1967) was 35yo when he founded LinkedIn in 2002
And of course, my favorites, my friends and young Canadian entrepreneurs,
Hongwei Liu (21yo) and Leander Lee (19yo) were just 20yo and 18yo when they started MappedIn in Waterloo, Canada. Now, they are rolling in millions. Check out their 7mins Dragon’s Den presentation here: http://www.mappedin.ca/about (click on the Dragon’s Den Video).

All the apps on Google play, Play Stores and Appstores are developed by teenagers and early 20yos in North America, Asia and Europe; and these apps are downloaded by millions every day. Who isn’t familiar with games like Angry Birds, Jewel Stars, Bubbleshoots, Minecraft, Tetris, Solitaire, Mario, Mortal Kombat, Sudoku, Scrabble, Monopoly, Temple Run, etc All these are being developed by teenagers and 20yos.

Landmark break-throughs are being recorded daily in cancer research, quantum physics, neuroscience, health, environment, engineering, space science, aeronautics, computer science, finance, etc but we hardly hear of Nigeria names (or even Africans) being mentioned. And these are carried out by young scholars - Caucasians and Asians predominantly.

The bottom line is, we have to start encouraging our young ones to venture into science especially from junior high school. When 60% of the students in a university is into Arts and Humanities (Philosophy, Mass Comm, Anthropology, Sociology, History, Political Science, Public Admin, Music, Philosophy, Cultural Dance, Geography, etc), then there is a big problem for the country and the future of the youths. Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths must be encouraged at all cost.

Your opinions and contributions are welcome. Share with us if you know a young black (Nigerian or African) with inventions. Thanks.

Following....this is the sort of Idea that should be splashed on FP, not some silly topics and threads.@Op..i share same sentiments and opinion with you. As a matter of fact,the modern world in which we live in today is being ruled by Developments in Science and Technology.It's a pity that our educational system doesn't see the huge gap in fields of Science and Technology.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by SaintChukz(m): 12:11pm On Aug 16, 2013
^ Although basically Science covers a wide range of disciplines. And i don't think it is every one of those disciplines that are progressive in outlook. What i mean here is that some science disciplines will only offer basic principles that were applied in the past. But what in your opinion do you think are those science disciplines that can a solution to future problems? because that's the main need for science- solving problems.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 12:43pm On Aug 16, 2013
Saint Chukz: ^ Although basically Science covers a wide range of disciplines. And i don't think it is every one of those disciplines that are progressive in outlook. What i mean here is that some science disciplines will only offer basic principles that were applied in the past. But what in your opinion do you think are those science disciplines that can a solution to future problems? because that's the main need for science- solving problems.
Truly, I havent seen a 'usless' science field. Now, treatments and cure for cancer are being developed by 'physists (physics) and chemists (chemistry) using experiments carried out on animals & plants by biologists, zoologist etc. Mathematicians are even more valuable in this part of the world. It is only when these scientists do no further research to upgrade themselves that they become redundant like most Nigerian lecturers who just sit in and teach students the same thing for over 10years. Those ones are redundant
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Ajibel(m): 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2013
Op, you and i share almost exactly the same thought. I think practicals should be encouraged to take bulk of school activities and leave students to do research on the internet on theory aspect. Most of what is being taught theoretically are available FREELY on the internet. Practicals should take a major chunk during exams and the education board should reduce OBJ questions of A, B ,C etc. It makes us lazy and encourages malpractice. I have more to say buh no one listens to me cry cry

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by AjanleKoko: 5:34pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ajibel: Op, you and i share almost exactly the same thought. I think practicals should be encouraged to take bulk of school activities and leave students to do research on the internet on theory aspect. Most of what is being taught theoretically are available FREELY on the internet. Practicals should take a major chunk during exams and the education board should reduce OBJ questions of A, B ,C etc. It makes us lazy and encourages malpractice. I have more to say buh no one listens to me cry cry

All universities teach theory anywhere in the world. You have to learn the theory before you can even know what to do with it. How can you understand how the internal combustion engine works without a detailed understanding of thermodynamics? Or how to built wireless networks without a solid foundation in electromagnetic theory? How will you design, prototype, and manufacture real-life products, without the solid understanding of the science behind those products?

No university will teach you how to wire a house, or fix a car. That's what vocational training is meant for.
The problem in Nigeria is the mentality of the average Nigerian (student and teacher alike), the lazy thinking that refuses to apply themselves and do the rigorous work required to bridge the gap between theory and application. Note I said application, not practical. Application of theory goes beyond performing experiments in a laboratory.

Until the day Nigerians stop running away from doing real intellectual work, we will continue to have this debate.

4 Likes

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by zebra(m): 5:42pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ajibel: Op, you and i share almost exactly the same thought. I think practicals should be encouraged to take bulk of school activities and leave students to do research on the internet on theory aspect. Most of what is being taught theoretically are available FREELY on the internet. Practicals should take a major chunk during exams and the education board should reduce OBJ questions of A, B ,C etc. It makes us lazy and encourages malpractice. I have more to say buh no one listens to me cry cry
More practical learning and less theory is done in the polytechnics. Are u saying that universities too should emphasize on more practical learning than theory too? I thought their mandate is to research and come out with designs?
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2013
And with all the practicals and applications at Polytechnics, what do we have to show? Absolutely nothing. malaria fever kills everyday in Nigeria than anywhere in the world, yet our medical researchers have no solution (thanks to our herbalists who can cure with very bitter concoctions).
With polytechnics sprawling all over Nigeria, we are yet to produce a torch light. the last ones i saw were imported from china.
- Mention a Nigerian company that produces umbrella.
- mention one that produces tyres or even NYSC boots.
- Mention one construction or engineering company in Nigeria whose staff is 100% Nigerians and 100% locally trained...

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Ajibel(m): 6:04pm On Aug 16, 2013
zebra: More practical learning and less theory is done in the polytechnics. Are u saying that universities too should emphasize on more practical learning than theory too? I thought their mandate is to research and come out with designs?

my argument is that much emphasis is placed on theories not just in unis buh every level of education. You should do ur research online and come to the school lab and carry out practicals and physical research. And which poly in uni carries out practicals Lol we need to change. The current settings havent helped us and cant.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Djtm(m): 6:33pm On Aug 16, 2013
The problem is not teaching theory only, another problem is how well are we being taught that theory. Many of those lecturers do not know what they are teaching. Many of the students are not knowledgeable enough to learn anything new (blame it on poor educational background). Nigeria's educational system is a pretty fuck3d up system and it needs a lot of serious effort to change it from what it currently is.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by zebra(m): 9:00pm On Aug 16, 2013
delors: And with all the practicals and applications at Polytechnics, what do we have to show? Absolutely nothing. malaria fever kills everyday in Nigeria than anywhere in the world, yet our medical researchers have no solution (thanks to our herbalists who can cure with very bitter concoctions).
With polytechnics sprawling all over Nigeria, we are yet to produce a torch light. the last ones i saw were imported from china.
- Mention a Nigerian company that produces umbrella.
- mention one that produces tyres or even NYSC boots.
- Mention one construction or engineering company in Nigeria whose staff is 100% Nigerians and 100% locally trained...
But what is really the problem with the nigerian educational system? What about the millions of Naira govt allocates to universities and lecturers for research every year? Can they show us what they've achieved with it in terms of research? Only God knows the solution to Nigeria's problems.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 10:02pm On Aug 16, 2013
zebra: But what is really the problem with the nigerian educational system? What about the millions of Naira govt allocates to universities and lecturers for research every year? Can they show us what they've achieved with it in terms of research? Only God knows the solution to Nigeria's problems.
That's the main thing. Nobody knows what research they do. I really dont understand. No accountability whatsoever. Pathetic.
I can count the number of lecturers that have blogs in Nigeria. How can they even have blogs when there is nothing to put on it. SMH
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Djtm(m): 11:01pm On Aug 16, 2013
delors:
That's the main thing. Nobody knows what research they do. I really dont understand. No accountability whatsoever. Pathetic.
I can count the number of lecturers that have blogs in Nigeria. How can they even have blogs when there is nothing to put on it. SMH
Lecturers have labs where they carry out research (@least in some schools). I know some lecturers who do. The problem is that these research are funded by foreign organizations and they pay them (the lecturers) monthly. Any breakthrough or discovery from those research will be in the organization's name. So you basically will not hear of any achievement until government starts funding research.
As for the dude who talked about government pouring millions of naira into universities, those 'millions' are not enough to run the system. I heard from someone who heard from the v.c of a school that the money they receive from the government is just a little above what they need to pay salaries. They receive 60% of the needed money and about 50% are used to pay salaries. They have to generate the rest themselves every year. Have you ever wondered why a school that will admit 5000 students will sell 80k post utme forms?
I heard from Gov Fashola himself that Lagos state's annual allocated budget is about 5% of that of Havard university.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by zebra(m): 5:37am On Aug 17, 2013
Djtm:
Lecturers have labs where they carry out research (@least in some schools). I know some lecturers who do. The problem is that these research are funded by foreign organizations and they pay them (the lecturers) monthly. Any breakthrough or discovery from those research will be in the organization's name. So you basically will not hear of any achievement until government starts funding research.
As for the dude who talked about government pouring millions of naira into universities, those 'millions' are not enough to run the system. I heard from someone who heard from the v.c of a school that the money they receive from the government is just a little above what they need to pay salaries. They receive 60% of the needed money and about 50% are used to pay salaries. They have to generate the rest themselves every year. Have you ever wondered why a school that will admit 5000 students will sell 80k post utme forms?
I heard from Gov Fashola himself that Lagos state's annual allocated budget is about 5% of that of Havard university.
i won't believe what u just said. Federal govt give research grants to federal universities that claim to be doing researches every year different from the money used in running the universities. If govt were not giving them research grants they would have probably gone on strike for that reason, or better still come out to tell nigerians that govt are not encouraging them financially on research. Because they have no research agenda they divert money meant for research into other uses.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by since1914(m): 9:03am On Aug 17, 2013
As much as I don't totally dispute your analogy, I still think it has a lot more to do with individual ambitions and independent mindedness than the school curriculum, or else what do we say about people who never set foot on a University campus at all, but turned successful at a young age? Considering that a high school education isn't even sufficient enough 'technical' knowledge to invent all that you have listed. In my opinion, I think it takes a lot of personal effort fueled by ambition to achieve this. Take for instance Dave Karp the 27 year old High-school drop-out CEO of Tumblr whose company was acquired by Yahoo for $1.1 billion in May this year, he practically taught himself all he knew about his trade and still went on to make a success out of it.

These kind of people are typically restless and simply can't stick to conventional routines and are also usually very stubborn about what they want to achieve, for them, it doesn't matter if everybody is headed in one direction, they will simply head in the opposite if it will further their cause. The truth is,most Africans are too scared to take the unconventional route to their dreams. They would rather go to school, graduate and get a good job like everyone else and probably keep 'daydreaming' about launching their own venture someday (but would probably never get around to doing it).

Another reason is that, Most Nigerians nay Africans cannot see beyond money, and would rather have instant wealth than taking the time to do anything of value. Most of these inventors you talked about started their ventures with the aim of been part of something of VALUE, and eventually that value translates to wealth. But here, people simply assume that it is only wealth that can create value.For instance after Max Levchin and his partners sold Paypal to Ebay in 2002, he said he was almost depressed because he spent day and night wondering what to do to stay busy (after collecting his own share of at least $32 million from the sale). According to him, he simply wanted to be a CEO of 'something' it didn't matter what it was, he just wanted it to be something of value, so he went to work and today he has to his credit a string of ventures like HVF, Affirm, Glow, Yelp and Slide (which he sold to Google).

Another key but surmountable obstacle here in Africa, is the availability of private funding. Most of these businesses you listed got funding from investors at one time or the other during the early stages of the business, which in the long run helped shaped it early enough. Although, this isn't much of a problem in Africa today as it used to be in the past, because a handful of African start-ups are beginning to receive funding from overseas Venture Capitals and Private Equity funds, it could still be better.

Lastly, I think most Africans are mentally lazy, they simply don't like leaving their comfort zone, not even for a brief moment. Even on this forum, people show up here to ask very mundane questions that they could easily have googled themselves, or better still, taken time to digest all the information at their disposal, they would rather want other people to talk them through the pile of information that is right before them. Whereas the one hour they spent fighting E-tribal wars on Nairaland would have been more than sufficient for them use to thoroughly grasp all the information they seek.

2 Likes

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 12:58pm On Aug 17, 2013
soild point over all. I like the fact that you pointed out so many angles. This is what we need.

since_1914: As much as I don't totally dispute your analogy, I still think it has a lot more to do with individual ambitions and independent mindedness than the school curriculum, or else what do we say about people who never set foot on a University campus at all, but turned successful at a young age? Considering that a high school education isn't even sufficient enough 'technical' knowledge to invent all that you have listed. In my opinion, I think it takes a lot of personal effort fueled by ambition to achieve this. Take for instance Dave Karp the 27 year old High-school drop-out CEO of Tumblr whose company was acquired by Yahoo for $1.1 billion in May this year, he practically taught himself all he knew about his trade and still went on to make a success out of it.
I agree with you. spot on. Imagine instagram was started by a mere photographer who wanted to up his game. While school curriculum isnt the only way, I think it has a lot to do with how these dudes think. I mean, Mark was a student before he dropped out, right? Same with Bill Gate and all those billionaires who claim to have dropped out at one point or the other.

since_1914: These kind of people are typically restless and simply can't stick to conventional routines and are also usually very stubborn about what they want to achieve, for them, it doesn't matter if everybody is headed in one direction, they will simply head in the opposite if it will further their cause. The truth is,most Africans are too scared to take the unconventional route to their dreams. They would rather go to school, graduate and get a good job like everyone else and probably keep 'daydreaming' about launching their own venture someday (but would probably never get around to doing it).
You are right. I know some of them like that.

since_1914: Another reason is that, Most Nigerians nay Africans cannot see beyond money, and would rather have instant wealth than taking the time to do anything of value. Most of these inventors you talked about started their ventures with the aim of been part of something of VALUE, and eventually that value translates to wealth. But here, people simply assume that it is only wealth that can create value.For instance after Max Levchin and his partners sold Paypal to Ebay in 2002, he said he was almost depressed because he spent day and night wondering what to do to stay busy (after collecting his own share of at least $32 million from the sale). According to him, he simply wanted to be a CEO of 'something' it didn't matter what it was, he just wanted it to be something of value, so he went to work and today he has to his credit a string of ventures like HVF, Affirm, Glow, Yelp and Slide (which he sold to Google).
Trust me bro, this is one of our main problems. I wished the mentality would change.

since_1914: Another key but surmountable obstacle here in Africa, is the availability of private funding. Most of these businesses you listed got funding from investors at one time or the other during the early stages of the business, which in the long run helped shaped it early enough. Although, this isn't much of a problem in Africa today as it used to be in the past, because a handful of African start-ups are beginning to receive funding from overseas Venture Capitals and Private Equity funds, it could still be better.
spot on.

since_1914: Lastly, I think most Africans are mentally lazy, they simply don't like leaving their comfort zone, not even for a brief moment. Even on this forum, people show up here to ask very mundane questions that they could easily have googled themselves, or better still, taken time to digest all the information at their disposal, they would rather want other people to talk them through the pile of information that is right before them. Whereas the one hour they spent fighting E-tribal wars on Nairaland would have been more than sufficient for them use to thoroughly grasp all the information they seek.
Solid! I couldn't have written this piece better.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Djtm(m): 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2013
zebra: i won't believe what u just said. Federal govt give research grants to federal universities that claim to be doing researches every year different from the money used in running the universities. If govt were not giving them research grants they would have probably gone on strike for that reason, or better still come out to tell nigerians that govt are not encouraging them financially on research. Because they have no research agenda they divert money meant for research into other uses.
well, they're on strike and I also won't believe that a government that can not provide the total amount needed to run a school will give the school money to carry out researches.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 2:16pm On Aug 17, 2013
zebra: i won't believe what u just said. Federal govt give research grants to federal universities that claim to be doing researches every year different from the money used in running the universities. If govt were not giving them research grants they would have probably gone on strike for that reason, or better still come out to tell nigerians that govt are not encouraging them financially on research. Because they have no research agenda they divert money meant for research into other uses.
I kinda agree with you. If there was no money for research, ASUU would have gone on strike for that purpose alone or betterstill, claim that the present strike is because there is no fund for quality research. We all know the present strike is a result of the lecturers' demands for salaries and arrears...not research funds. i think our so called lecturers have misplaced their priorities and they do not care for the students. They form the bulk of the problems we have in that sector truly. i can list their faults:
1. No improved teachings (same old things), no research
2. They do not encourage the students, they exploit them and paint a bleak future (some of my highly trained lecturers did that).
3. they sell copy-and-paste, buy-and-pass handouts to students
4. They exploit the students monetarily and sexually
The list goes on.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 2:22pm On Aug 17, 2013
In most accounting/auditing firms in Nigeria - PWC, Ernts and Young, Deloitte, Accenture, most of the Nigerians there are foreign trained. Reason, they do not value the quality of education being given to our students. Who would blame them anyway?

(1) (2) (Reply)

COREN Registration Made Easy / Result Of Trade And Non Trade Of Nigerian Airforce Recruitment 2014 Is Out / `

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.