Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako (2390 Views)

My Grandfather was a sadistic murderer; would have shot me! - Jennifer Teege / Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu's Will Read-the Full Detail / 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by Louisaf: 9:54am On Sep 24, 2009
Does anyone know of a Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako? He was called to the bar in England in 1950 and then returned to Nigeria and became a prominent lawyer within the government.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by ikpuru1234: 10:27am On Sep 24, 2009
I know Uchenna okam,he is in London with his siblings but i think their Parents are in Nigeria.
Type his name on Facebook.You'll start from there.
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by Louisaf: 10:39am On Sep 24, 2009
Would this person be a relative of Theodore?

I am not sure I understand how the nigerian names are formed?

Is Okam or Ojiako the surname?

Thanks
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by kiwi992(m): 5:04pm On Sep 27, 2009
Mate,

The Nigerian names are formed as follows:

1.  Theodore is your grandad's Christian (baptismal) name
2.  Chukwuemeka is his native Nigerian name (most likely)
3.  Okam is his own dad's name (i.e. your great grandad's name)
4.  Ojiako is the family (i.e. family compound) name and is usually unique in Nigeria, depending on which part of the country the one originates.

You could start searching by possibly writing to the Nigerian Bar Association, Lagos or maybe Abuja (I'm not sure).  They might give you pointers or indeed, you could search on the Internet for a list of past and present members.

Again, there's an African Centre in Moss Side, Manchester.  The guys there came to the UK around the same time as your grandad did, and so, might know him.  Some of them lived in London before moving to the North West.

Ring up Nigeria House (aka Appleby House), Platt Lane, Manchester, M14 5NE and ask them as well.  Their number used to be 0161 256 1059 but it's dead now.  Just ask directory enquiries (0118) and they'd be able to help you.  There are many elderly Nigerians there. 

Somebody there is bound to have known him before he left for Nigeria.  They'd also be able to give you the telephone number of the African Centre.

Lastly, you could post this in the Culture section because the surname is an Ibo (Igbo) one and so, a lot of those guys from Iboland might be able to help you in terms of which specific town the name originates.

That said, please do NOT pay anyone who offers to 'help' you trace someone that knows your grandad.  Never be taken in by any greedy bugger.  Nairaland is your best bet.   

Good luck in your quest.

kiwi992.
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by africhika(f): 7:54pm On Sep 27, 2009
@ poster,
are u doing genealogical research? how far back have you gone?
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by Embark2: 3:36am On Oct 18, 2009
Loiusaf, the person u are looking for MAY actually be my late uncle popularly known as TOC Ojiako from the very large and popular Ojiako family of Adazi-Nnukwu in Anambra State of Nigeria. TOC and a lot of his brothers went to school in England in the 40's, 50's and 60's. TOC and some of his brothers were/are british-trained lawyers, and I know of 2 very prominent positions he held in Nigeria. My cousin in England (not TOC's son) may be able to help u. Send him a message on facebook and go from there. I can give you a little more info on TOC and my cousin's name, if u are still searching for your grandpa.
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by juchenna: 6:54pm On Nov 18, 2009
Woooooo! FYI I was just doing a crazy search about TOC and came across this forum
Well, Just to let you know.

TOC Ojiako was legally married to my Aunt and my Dad's Cousin. She Died couple of years ago and Had a Daughter called " Adaeze" TOC as am told when I was still little that she was the first Nigerian Ambassador to Germany. My Aunt (RIP) was dear to me. I spoke with her few days prior to her death and it happend that My husband is a TOC's Nephew.
In other words, My Mother in-law from adazi is also a younger sister of TOC though she is late before I got married.

TOC as am told has other concubines who gave birth to other kids but as far as am I know, Adaze was the only female child they both had. though I learnt later about the attorney in London.

It was also a happened that my hubby and my uncle ( Late Rev Fr. Metuh) are also nephew because TOC, my hubbys' mum (mother inlaw) and my uncle's mum are all from the same parent.

What a small world !!!!!!!!!
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by Embark2: 3:09am On Nov 19, 2009
Hi Juchenna,

Thanks for your response. The author (louisaf) and her father have been able to reconnect with TOC's family and the Ojiako family.

I gather from your response that your mother-in-law was an Ojiako married into the Metuh family of Nnewi (possibly Mrs Theresa Udeaku Metuh??). If that's the case, then your husband is my cousin. He can go on facebook and join Umuezeanaekwe group. He will find a lot of his relatives from Adazi-Nnukwu. Ezeanaekwe was Mrs Metuh's great-grand father.

It's indeed a small world.
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by OAM4J: 3:35am On Nov 19, 2009
Happy family re-union!!! wink
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by juchenna: 10:18am On Nov 19, 2009
I guess I was a bit confusing by my explanation. grin

>> Ok. Am from Metuh's Family in Otolo Nnewi and TOC's Late Wife " Iyom" as she is popularly known is my Aunt and also my Dad's Cousin

>> Mama Theresa you mentioned here is probably my uncle's Mother (Rev Fr. Metuh) or Augustine Metuh who are also my uncle

>>My hubby's Mum late Benedith (TOC's Sister) was also from Ojiako' s family but married to Anetoh's family from Adazi-Nnukwu. In other words, am from Metuh's family in Nnewi but married to Anetoh's family.

>>Yes! you are right. I would guess that my hubby is your cousin. He also have other cousin here in USA ( Mike and Innocent Ojiako ) the current Adama's children.

My hubby is on facebook but he barely have patient to go there. I will definitely inform him about family site you made mentioned.

I hope i was able to clear that up. wink

Thanks for your response.
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by Embark2: 3:41am On Nov 21, 2009
Explanation understood. Bernadette and Theresa were sisters, and yes ur husband is my cousin, so are Mike and Inno.

Hope to meet the both of you on FB.

Cheers.
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by Hotstepper(f): 6:59am On Nov 22, 2009
@juchenna, I have heard of ur family, Metuh
I know one uchenna Metuh but shez not marriec
Re: Tracing My Grandfather - Theodore Chukwuemeka Okam Ojiako by juchenna: 6:19am On Nov 24, 2009
well, we have so many Uchenna Metuh. We all meet at Facebook

(1) (Reply)

Advise & Discipline 6-year Olds Caught Doing It / Picture Of The 16 Year Old Girl Who Gave Birth To Triplets In Delta State / Our Colleague Was Left By Her Fiance Cos She Eats Too Much

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.