Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' (6035 Views)

My Mother Is Trying To Turn Me Against My Father. / Woman Sets Home On Fire Trying To Kill Spider With Lighter / My Grandfather was a sadistic murderer; would have shot me! - Jennifer Teege (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by JulesB(f): 10:28pm On Jun 10, 2010
I have read a post on the fabulous Nairaland to trace a family member by M.Sijuad, and have been impressed by all the useful comments made, so I’ve been inspired to give it a try, here’s my attempt and I hope that I’ll be just as lucky, Please read on.

I have decided to embark upon the journey of possibly finding my Grandfather,  I’m trying to help my mother, who was unsuccessful the first time around, in tracing her father. Now we have this great tool called ‘New Technology’, so I have brought the search further forward, but it’s now beginning to slow down.
My Grandfather's name is Ola Coker, I realise his first name, is an abbreviation of a much longer name, which unfortunately is impeding conclusion to my search.
He was from Lagos, living in London and studying Law during the early1950’s.  He was called to the Bar and passed his exams to qualify as a Barrister. For a period of time Mr Ola Coker and my Grandmother lived together whilst in London. They lived in the Islington area, and I have traced them on an electoral register- but his abbreviated name is proving an issue.

I have made contact with the various educational institutions, some of which, have been unable to provide the information I need, due to data protection etc. They have said, 'I have to prove that the person I’m looking for is deceased before they confirm attendance'. For obvious reasons, I’m unable to do this, plus most importantly, this is not the outcome I am looking for, but I do realise this could be a possibility.

I am working within a specific time frame and I am interested in making contact with the following Mr Coker’s:
Mr COKER, DANIEL SODAMOLA - Date of Birth 13/04/1927 (83 years old)- Son of Jonathan K Coker of Iju Junction, Lagos, Nigeria.

COKER, EMANUEL OLADIPO, Date of Birth ?/?/1918 (92 years old) - son of Gabriel Ogunmuyiwa Coker.

I’ve also heard that the Coker family name, worshiped at the ‘Christ Church Cathedral’, Marina, Lagos(Anglican)  Does anyone know how true this is?

I remain encouraged by the information I have gathered to date,  If you're reading this thinking you could provide genuine helpful advice, please do share it with me- It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Julesb
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Outstrip(f): 1:50am On Jun 11, 2010
The only Cokers I know are actually in the States now but I actually found out that their parents were actually born in Sierra Leone so they cannot be the same Coker family. If it is a possibility then I can ask for you. They have yoruba names too but many Sierra Leonans answer yoruba names
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 1:59am On Jun 11, 2010
I think there is a popular coker in Lagos. Is it Fumni coker Of NTA channel 10 or something. May be they are related. I have no idea.

Then this Fumni coker (very pretty woman). I think she is now married so her new name is Fumni Wakama. You may try contacting Nigeria Television Authority.

There are may be many cokers anyway.

Good luck in your search
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by tigerpaws(f): 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2010
I know a  Coker she resides in London; I will show her this thread

COKER, EMANUEL OLADIPO, Date of Birth ?/?/1918 (92 years old) - Is your granddad 92years?
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 11, 2010
Hi JulesB,

I am a female of Coker descent. My grandfather, Babatunde Coker, died @ 1942. I know, cos from what our dad told us, he lost his dad when he was around 8yrs. My dad, Olujinmi Coker, was born in 1934. He was the old man's first son, and had three other brothers. Unfortunately, all of the brothers are late now, including my dad. I know of their only sister, but unfortunately again, don't have her contacts. But I know she lives in Lagos. I really don't know much of our many 'cousins', as we lived virtually exclusive of family ties. Most Cokers I know live in either Lagos or Abeokuta, their ancestral home town. I wish I could help you, but as you can see, I myself am deficient in knowledge. Wish you success in your search.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2010
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 9:47pm On Jun 12, 2010
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 9:50pm On Jun 12, 2010
^Good man-fatkubu grin
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 11:38pm On Jun 12, 2010
@ Aga
U must be the facebook person. What's it about Fatkubu? There must be something I'm missing. Thanks for showing me this thread
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 4:53am On Jun 13, 2010
Yea

Nothing about it just used it as a sign
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by JulesB(f): 1:23pm On Jun 13, 2010
Firstly,
@ Outstrip, agabaI23, tigerpaws, Kiki2000 & Dr. Dre - Thank you for all of your comments, recommendations & advice.
My replies to each of you,

@ Outstrip
Hi Outstrip - Thanks for looking into the situation on the Coker’s you know and their Sierra Leone connection and the tip on them answering to Yoruba names.
I don’t believe it to be a possibility- but if it’s not too much trouble for you, I’m happy for you to ask.

@ agabaI23
Hi agabaI23 - Yes you’re right many many Coker’s – I understand you passed my thread to Dre, thanks for taking the time to do this, he has provided extremely useful info. Thanks your wishes of good luck also.

@ tigerpaws
Hi tigerpaws - Thanks for adding momentum to my thread and passing on to the Coker you know in London.

@ Kiki2000
Hi Kiki - Thanks for sharing your story, an interesting one too! Are you based in London then?
So you’re from a line of Coker’s as well- I couldn’t make out from your post if you were actually interested in following your line further- but as you may have already noticed, Dre has made a suggestion below, which could help you in making contact with your aunt- Is this something you have considered doing in the past? Or have you been reluctant by the daunting task of the search?
Thanks for your wishes.

@ Dr. Dre
Hi Dre –Your introduction doesn’t sound weird, I’m only too pleased for you detailed response and time spent to reply to this.
Your facts- Extremely interesting- and yes- I was aware of # 1, 2 & 4. I respect your reasons for not continuing with anymore.

Thanks for the information in your 2nd post as well. It’s disappointing to hear of the passing of Oladipo Emmanuel Coker, but not surprising given his age.
I’d like to take you up on your offer to communicate further. Not sure how we can get around this one on the forum, without supplying to much personal info.
I can set up a specific email address and post on here for us to make initial contact? How does that sound?

Thank you,
Julesb
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2010
Thank you for thanking me JulesB grin

Hopefully, you will end up connecting the dots.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 4:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
JulesB
Good to hear 4rm U. U are welcomed wit anyhow U want 2 go about it. Sorry U wont be able 2 meet Oladipo Emmanuel. He died long ago but his sister is still alive though very old. I know her very well 'cos she's like my Dad's dad (hope U get my point). Oladipo Emmanuel was a very prominent law practitioner during his days & also studied Law in England so I'm guessing Ur grandpa knew him.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 4:13pm On Jun 13, 2010
The Cokers from SLeone, IMO, are 1 with the Nigerian side. Some of them still have links back here & even visit. I had the chance of meeting one of them around 2003 when she came for her University education here in Nigeria. She bears a Yoruba name (amazingly for me) exactly same as my own brother. U can imagine my shock when she said - in public - that she is from another country. lol. Got all sorts of funny comments from every1 dat heard of it back then in school. lol
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 4:20pm On Jun 13, 2010
A picture would really help also if U have any. No matter Ur location, there is always a Coker-lineage person not too far. Trust me, the family is that large. U can find my email addy in my Nairaland profile here. I'm also on Facebook. Just search for my full name there & U'd find me.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by JulesB(f): 6:07pm On Jun 13, 2010
Hi Dre,

Thanks - I've added you to my MSN. There's a few people sharing your name on Facebook. Are you in orange holding a baby, in your profile pic?

Julesb
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2010
He is scary and hooded with goatie  grin
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 6:40pm On Jun 13, 2010
@ JulesB
No that's not me. I have my head covered with a brown towel.

@ Aga
Hahahahahaha. What a description! Wicked U! grin
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by JulesB(f): 6:15pm On Jun 14, 2010
@ Dre,

Hi Dre, just to let you know I've tried to send you an email but it keeps getting returned to me as undelivered.
Don't quite know why, as it's the same one which you accepted on your MSN account.

Thanks,

Jules
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 7:33pm On Jun 14, 2010
@ JulesB
Hmm, that's weird. Did U get the offline I sent U on MSN? Sent U my name on facebook. Try & get me there then send me the message thru facebook.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Skywalker5(m): 7:54pm On Jun 14, 2010
Hello
I just cant help to read this. well my dad was revd at a Methodist church but it was in Yaba. i am coker also. Some of the names you wrote are familiar to me but to be honest,i am not some1 who really keeps tab of family history but my dad will. i com from the OJE family. dont know if you know that its. but thats the part of Coker i come from but my dad knows a lot of people and being a revd ,i am sure he can help figure out some things. but i think Gabriel Ogunmuyiwa Coker rings a bell
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 7:58pm On Jun 14, 2010
The dots are connecting albeit slowly.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 10:10pm On Jun 14, 2010
@ Sky
Thanks bro.

@ JulesB
There U have another COKER. Sky is a grandchild of Ogunmuyiwa Coker's brother. Gabriel Ogunmuyiwa's parents had 4 kids (all males) - Gabriel, My Grandpa, Sky-Walker's Grandpa & the 4th child. I wuldn't want to post all the names here but Sky-Walker's Grandpa's firstname starts with OJE. That's what he (Sky) meant by the OJE part. I hope I'm not confusing U with all these details.

@ Aga
Yes. This surely shuld end well.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 6:12pm On Jun 15, 2010
JulesB
In case U check here first, I already sent U a mail. Posting this here so that U dont miss it in case it goes into the Spam folder.
I want to also state clearly that the family meeting I mentioned earlier in one of posts - AYE DESCENDANTS something - is one of the many big arms of the main family. The Annual Family Reunion which holds in Abeokuta is under the name of JIBOLU-TAIWO FAMILY OF EGBALAND. This main umbrella body that unifies the whole family. This family union was established in 1930 and holds till date.

Regards
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by JulesB(f): 6:33pm On Jun 15, 2010
@ Dre

Yes - Thank you- I got it this time- will respond when I get home.

@ Sky

Thanks for the post.

Julesb
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 16, 2010
@Dr Dre,

Thanks for your offer of help. I suppose it won't hurt to know more about one's family. I do know the surviving aunt, but can't remember her name right now. But that's all I know. My family is from the AJOBO descendant from Iporo-Ake, Abeokuta. Would really be happy to know more.

Hello JulesB,

I'm happy to see you're making progress in your search. T'is nice to know people who can offer help to their fellow men without condition. I'm confident this will end well. I live in Lagos with my family.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 3:50pm On Jun 16, 2010
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 4:07pm On Jun 16, 2010
In all, I stand to be corrected. Note if any of the names I mentioned rings a bell but then I'm guessin we may share d same great grandfather. Wuld be a great deal of help also if U can come up with Ur aunty's name/precise location.

Hope this helps.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 10:07am On Jun 17, 2010
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 17, 2010
Dr. Dre,

I must commend your commitment and tenacity. Thanks a lot. You're loaded! I do recall my dad always mentioning the name Ajobo alongside Aderupoko. Unfortunately, neither I nor any of my other siblings were ever keen to know more. My dad knew quite a lot about the family, despite not being in close relationship with the larger unit. He generally referred to all Cokers as cousins. So I guess it makes sense now, i.e. we possibly coming from the same great greandfather. The world indeed is a small place! Kudos.

As for my aunty, I shall find out more about her.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 11:17pm On Jun 17, 2010
@ Kiki
Thank U for thanking me grin
I wish I knew Ur dad. Trust me, I myself use to be non-chalant towards these details until recently. Got tired of looking stupid when people hear my name &the next thing they say is "Ur name is Coker, ehen, I know one Coker in bla bla bla, do U know them?". grin Then I'd have to stutter myself out. lol.
This thread has also increased my zeal to learn more astronomically. There is really no harm in knowing about one's roots. Strangely, I've discovered that most of the current younger generation dont bother about it also. We all just bear the name without knowing about it. If care isn't taken, one day we'd just wake up to discover knowledge about us has been lost, possibly completely.
Ur dad is very right that all COKERs are cousins. U will discover how when I complete the details. Good to know U are reading wink
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 11:22pm On Jun 17, 2010
The ancestral tree.

Yea I just remembered, my name was coker

Dr Dre, do you know my greatx6 grandfather? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is She Really Pregnant? / Married Nairalanders I Need Your Help! It's Urgent. / Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.