Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only (31921 Views)

Lagos Has 4 Billionaires, 360 Multi-millionaires, 6,800 Millionaires / Lagos Has 4 Billionaires, 360 Multimillionaires, 6,800 Millionaires. / GTBANK Introduce Security Pin For *737# Transactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by hlord: 11:26am On Aug 10, 2016
And if I told u I have a friend who uses 6 digits? grin
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by cnwamo(m): 11:29am On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:
We as Nigerians come across a lot of exciting, captivating and thought provoking things in our day to day activities. However, due to our busy schedule, and sometimes the thought of where we're headed at the particular period in time, across we don't really bother to look into the background of these amazing inventions. I am 100% sure that 99.9% of my readers make use of the ATM machines more than twice within the period of a week.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4086611_4082151transferfundsonatmmachinejpeg3d61ca2fc5c6519649df5c3901c51965_jpeg80cf306dce9178f7ea7c49c21e6a2697
Majority of the time we have the need to make use of the atm, we are often saddled with the thought of how long we need to wait before making withdrawals or any other ATM enabled task due to the status of the queue. The highlighted points above are some of the reasons why many Nigerians have never bothered to look into why the ATM pin is only four(4) digits.

The main purpose of this post is to educate my readers on why the ATM pin has only four digits. Before we talk about that, however, let's skim through how the ATM machine came into existence.

The Computer Loan Machine triggered the invention of the ATM machine. The individual who took it upon himself to design the first ever Automated Teller Machine is a man called John Adrian Sheperd-Barron. Barron also developed the idea of embedding pin code into individual debit and credit cards.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4086612_shepherdbarron1640787c_jpeg755ea011c4bd3789503f2858c9fd3c2f
Picture source - www.telegraph.co.uk
Now, to the main part of the post , which is why ATM pin consists of only 4-digits. The inventor of the ATM machine which is John Adrian Shepherd-Barron was born to the family of Dorothy Barron, two time Wimbledon women champion, in Shillong.

Barron initially proposed a 6 digit pin, but later had to reconsider his proposal due to his wife's inability to remember a large string of digits. The reason our ATM pin has only four digits is because of the inventor's wife's disability.

Nowadays, 4 digit pin is no longer enough to keep our funds secured, due to cyber theft. Most banks outside Nigeria are now offering a 6-digit pin code for accessing credit and debit cards. This development is a good one but it'll burden the average Nigerian banks' customer care assistants as many Nigerians are bound to forget their pins easily.

http://www.eodob.com/2016/08/heres-reason-why-atm-pin-has-only-4.html?m=1

oh really?
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by damon222: 11:41am On Aug 10, 2016
Am sure those who still forget four digits are likely to be more dumbest than Buhari. Osunbade, Osunibadan comes to mind
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by mattmogan88: 11:42am On Aug 10, 2016
Abi Na him wife b d purpoz he invented d machin
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by damon222: 11:48am On Aug 10, 2016
Daslim180:
Wetin women go turn us to ehn, our eyes go clear.
Woman, woman, woman. How many times have I called you? Well the bible clearly advised that if a man can live without woman, it is better. Otherwise, marry but stick to her alone. It is no joke.
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Tobium1(m): 11:54am On Aug 10, 2016
power of pucci
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by akaahs(m): 12:07pm On Aug 10, 2016
Ops why is it that our mobile number is 11 and not 16 nd account number 10 not 12?
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:
This development is a good one but it'll burden the average Nigerian banks' customer care assistants as many Nigerians are bound to forget their pins easily.

In other words, Nigerians are disabled?
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by SamMilla1(m): 12:29pm On Aug 10, 2016
My Chinese cards use 6 pins.
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Opistorincos(m): 12:47pm On Aug 10, 2016
Idiots:
op u talk too much...its lik u are a january or june born. Good writeup though.

October born
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Code45: 12:57pm On Aug 10, 2016
feldido:
Just like why we say hello when we use the phone... All cos of women grin
You aren't making any sense. So you only say "hello" because of women? SMH.

The moment you stop fantasising too much on women, the moment you start pursuing your goals.

1 Like

Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Orion21: 1:44pm On Aug 10, 2016
i have always known that women are the reasons for major decisions .. war, peace, nw ATM pin codes grin cheesy cheesy..
Lawd save us form the Daughters of Eve
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by ophilly: 1:56pm On Aug 10, 2016
People are just not good with numbers, that is why 85% of nigerian car owners don't know their plate numbers.
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Burgerlomo: 2:10pm On Aug 10, 2016
heilige:
[size=18pt]There are other places in the world which has 6 digits.[/size]

Seconded, you are absolutely 100% correct.
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by louqas: 2:32pm On Aug 10, 2016
heilige:
[size=18pt]There are other places in the world which has 6 digits.[/size]

Some banks in Nigeria also issue atm with 5digits
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by louqas: 2:34pm On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:
We as Nigerians come across a lot of exciting, captivating and thought provoking things in our day to day activities. However, due to our busy schedule, and sometimes the thought of where we're headed at the particular period in time, across we don't really bother to look into the background of these amazing inventions. I am 100% sure that 99.9% of my readers make use of the ATM machines more than twice within the period of a week.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4086611_4082151transferfundsonatmmachinejpeg3d61ca2fc5c6519649df5c3901c51965_jpeg80cf306dce9178f7ea7c49c21e6a2697
Majority of the time we have the need to make use of the atm, we are often saddled with the thought of how long we need to wait before making withdrawals or any other ATM enabled task due to the status of the queue. The highlighted points above are some of the reasons why many Nigerians have never bothered to look into why the ATM pin is only four(4) digits.

The main purpose of this post is to educate my readers on why the ATM pin has only four digits. Before we talk about that, however, let's skim through how the ATM machine came into existence.

The Computer Loan Machine triggered the invention of the ATM machine. The individual who took it upon himself to design the first ever Automated Teller Machine is a man called John Adrian Sheperd-Barron. Barron also developed the idea of embedding pin code into individual debit and credit cards.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4086612_shepherdbarron1640787c_jpeg755ea011c4bd3789503f2858c9fd3c2f
Now, to the main part of the post , which is why ATM pin consists of only 4-digits. The inventor of the ATM machine which is John Adrian Shepherd-Barron was born to the family of Dorothy Barron, two time Wimbledon women champion, in Shillong.

Barron initially proposed a 6 digit pin, but later had to reconsider his proposal due to his wife's inability to remember a large string of digits. The reason our ATM pin has only four digits is because of the inventor's wife's disability.

Nowadays, 4 digit pin is no longer enough to keep our funds secured, due to cyber theft. Most banks outside Nigeria are now offering a 6-digit pin code for accessing credit and debit cards. This development is a good one but it'll burden the average Nigerian banks' customer care assistants as many Nigerians are bound to forget their pins easily.

But some banks in Nigeria are issuing ATM with 5digits now
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Opistorincos(m): 2:38pm On Aug 10, 2016
louqas:

This is the first time I'm hearing this, can I have the name of the bank??
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Praktikals(m): 2:47pm On Aug 10, 2016
Sugarcious:
. According to some online reports especially on social Media, a lot of people actually believe that "hello" was the name of Bell's wife I.e the inventor of telephone. So after the invention, he dialled his wife's phone and when she picked he called her "hello" and that name stock till today.

But after my research, I discovered that it was actually a lie. Bell never called his wife and his wife's name wasn't HEllO either. Rather the first person he phoned was a assistant in the other room where he sat.

Don't be quick to believe everything u see. Take some time and research.
Some people get plenty time sha sad
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by power900: 3:12pm On Aug 10, 2016
Can someone tell again that women doesn't rule the world? undecided undecided
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by mayoralex(m): 3:16pm On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:

Correct.. Here in Malaysia all banks ATM's are 6 digit pin
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by louqas: 3:23pm On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:

Wouldn't believe if it didn't happen to me . Was at an ATM and a man asked my help in operating the machine . When it was time to input the pin I asked the man to type his pin no. He typed 5 digits I objected but the man assured me it was correct and it was because he got paid. I'm not sure if the man's bank but it was at a first bank atm.
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by babyface224(f): 4:38pm On Aug 10, 2016
ain't nobody forgetting no ATM pin especially in Nigeria.. that ain't gonna happen... even if its 10 digits
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Princepoint(m): 4:49pm On Aug 10, 2016
add more pins to ur atm pin
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 10, 2016
My ATM pin is six digits.
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by louqas: 5:11pm On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:

Was at an ATM and an elderly man asked me to help him operate the machine . When he entered a 5digit PIN I objected and he assured me the pin was correct and it was . Can't recall his bank but this happened at a first bank atm
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by adecares(f): 5:19pm On Aug 10, 2016
Thanks for the info
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Spells(m): 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2016
Thanks.... I sha learnt sumtin today....
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by murmee: 6:24pm On Aug 10, 2016
louqas:

Some banks in Nigeria also issue atm with 5digits
Which banks? Please name them just to know and probably use them.
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by murmee: 6:26pm On Aug 10, 2016
louqas:

Which banks?
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by charlsecy(m): 6:45pm On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:
I am 100% sure that 99.9% of my readers make use of the ATM machines more than twice within the period of a week.
I am not certain of that!
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by Opistorincos(m): 6:48pm On Aug 10, 2016
charlsecy:
I am not certain of that!

IT was meant for my blog readers, nairalanders weren't among. I only posted the article here to have more views. Thanks for your comment
Re: Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only by charlsecy(m): 6:50pm On Aug 10, 2016
Opistorincos:
IT was meant for my blog readers...
Your statistics still hugely likely to be wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GTBank Named ‘Best Bank In Nigeria’ By Euromoney Magazine / "Building Simpler, Smarter Bank.”: Union Bank Unveils New Brand Identity / World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.