Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,830 members, 7,959,609 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 10:06 PM

6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! (11917 Views)

6 Blogging Practices That Scares Away Your Potential Visitors / 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make / 10 Blogging Mistakes You Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by importexpert(m): 7:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
If you're operating a small to medium business, you've probably been told over and over that you need to have a professional Business Blog. i have overly said it myself, and there are plenty of good reasons and ways that a business can successfully use a blog. You can share information about your products and services, relate success stories from your customers, and discuss important topics that are in the news and industry related. However, there are a number of challenges or mistakes that business owners can easily make which will affect the success of your blog. These mistakes can potentially turn your blog from being an asset into a liability.

1. Getting Too Personal
It is very easy to be personal on your blog posts, as it is natural to try to relate your personal life and interests. Some personal touch of course can make the blog post more interesting and compelling, but one must be careful not to be too controversial or too negative. You are trying to connect with customers and your business blog is not the place to shock your audience.

2. Use of a Third Party Domain
Businesses that are starting out may be tempted to use a free system like Blogger.com or Wordpress. By doing this, you lose out on a few benefits. If you use your own website and your own domain, each time you post a new blog entry you enrich your own domain and keyword content. This draws traffic to your main website. Later on, if you decide to switch from one platform to another, or to your own professional website, even if you're able to import all of your old blog entries, the URLs will change and any valuable backlinks you may have accumulated over the years will be instantly lost. Instead, take the time to invest in a professional website from the start that includes a Content Management System like Drupal which can incorporate your blog easily.

3. Finding the Right Balance
Your business blog should complement your other marketing efforts. On the one extreme, a business owner might spend all their time blogging and ignore other advertising mediums like social media, while on the other hand, many bloggers fail to write new blog entries regularly, relying instead on print ads or other marketing efforts. While there is no rule of thumb as to how often your blog needs to be maintained, successful business owners and bloggers will set a schedule for themselves and stick to it, whether it's daily, weekly or monthly. The best advice is to create a Message Calendar for your business so that you always know what topics or services you're supposed to be discussing or working on at any given time.

4. Dilute Keywords
Over time, a good blog will build up great search engine value due to the use of keywords in your blog titles and posts. Search engines will regularly index your blogs and note the words that you're using. However, if you aren't careful, and are writing blog posts that are not directly relevant to your business, you risk diluting your keyword content and ranking. Bloggers should be careful to write on topics that are very specific and relevant to their business and industry.

5. Use of a Blog as a Home Page
While this may work for some businesses or individuals, the rule of thumb and expectation is that your business site should have its own home page and the blog should be accessible through standard navigational menus. Business owners may be tempted to use their blog as their home since their regular efforts to post new blogs will ensure that their home pages are always fresh. This philosophy is flawed because your Home page needs to be crafted very specifically to speak to your clients and potential clients and achieve high conversion rates. A new visitor may not have any interest in your most recent blog post, and placing those posts on the home page can actually result in a drop in sales or conversions.

6. Not Building An Email List

From Day One, every blogger should be inviting readers to become subscribers. There are ways to dramatically increase subscription rates through lead generation options, but what's important initially to simply ask for the subscription, and make it it easy for site visitors to sign up. For that, I recommend MailChimp, particularly since it's free for new bloggers!

These are the issues which business owners should be aware of as they are getting started on their blog, or perhaps looking for ways to improve their blogs. Please feel free to post whatever questions you may have in the comments section below as I would be happy to help in any way.

cc:lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by importexpert(m): 7:59pm On Aug 10, 2016
you can see more of my write ups @ www.importsng.com
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by rummeh: 8:48pm On Aug 10, 2016
Sir i do deviate sometimes to get viral traffic for my blog..... I rank on yahoo and bing but i hardly rank on google
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by kingDELE(m): 9:05pm On Aug 10, 2016
Gud dae. I have questions to ask.

1. My blog is not on Google. If I pick a unique sentence from my blog on Google search, it doesn't show blog.

2. How can I get traffic to my blog

3. If I start getting much traffic, den I decided to start d copy and paste style (my blog is not news blog) will Google give me AdSense?

I await yur response.
Thanks
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by ITbomb(m): 11:50pm On Aug 10, 2016
kingDELE:

1. My blog is not on Google. If I pick a unique sentence from my blog on Google search, it doesn't show blog.

3. If I start getting much traffic, den I decided to start d copy and paste style (my blog is not news blog) will Google give me AdSense?

I await yur response.
Thanks
'
Inbox me
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by toppie: 2:48am On Aug 11, 2016
bg concepts Lagos Produces and Prints on POINT OF SALE THERMAL PAPER ROLLS(Used for ATM Receipts,Bus Tickets,Lotto,Cash Register System,E.t.c of Various sizes/Quantity and LAUNDRY NYLONS,BREAD WRAPPER,SUPERMARKET NYLONS,PHARMACY NYLONS,SNACKS NYLONS,POLY BAGS,FASTFOODS NYLONS,E.t.c of Various sizes and Quantity for Packaging solutions.

Warranty:2 Years

Delivery across States is Available.Our Delivery is Quick and Timely.

Please Contact/Whats app: 08156779296 for your Inquiries,Queries & Comments

OR Visit BUMEXGOLD ENTERPRISES @ 79,Iju Road,Ifako Ijaiye by Hutoos Mall

https://www.facebook.com/bg-Thermal-concepts-1014113158669422/

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by veekid(m): 6:27am On Aug 11, 2016
Linda ikeji needs to read this
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Talius(m): 6:29am On Aug 11, 2016
Good points my brother.

I normally don't like when people do this, but I can't help it either (Lord forgive me). Today's my birthday, sparing a second to wish me well wouldn't hurt.

6 Likes

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by directonpc(m): 6:30am On Aug 11, 2016
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by StartNowNG: 6:31am On Aug 11, 2016
Nice write up, the compilation is great and helpful.

Also read: Things You Need To Know Before Starting a Blog
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by ezekielly(m): 6:33am On Aug 11, 2016
My blog is not well structure. please how can I go about it. www.oladiposhola..com
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Opistorincos(m): 6:55am On Aug 11, 2016
Nice tips man
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by kingDELE(m): 6:56am On Aug 11, 2016
ITbomb:
'
Inbox me
sent
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by faceland: 6:56am On Aug 11, 2016
kingDELE:

I await yur response.
Thanks

Simply submit your site FREE at this link: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url?continue=/addurl&pli=1

You should also repeat the same at these link: https://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html

Then wait for 2day and see it in searcg result (except if their are other bigger website with the same content, then it wouldn't appear on the top 10).
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by kingDELE(m): 7:00am On Aug 11, 2016
Talius:
Good points my brother.

I normally don't like when people do this, but I can't help it either (Lord forgive me). Today's my birthday, sparing a second to wish me well wouldn't hurt.
Hapi bth dae. God bless yur new age

1 Like

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by faceland: 7:01am On Aug 11, 2016
faceland:

Simply submit your site FREE at this link: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url?continue=/addurl&pli=1

You should also repeat the same at this other link: https://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html

Then wait for 2 days and see it in search result (except if their are other bigger website with the same content, then it wouldn't appear on the top 10).
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by raziboi(m): 7:02am On Aug 11, 2016
Check my signature!!
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Jeroboy(m): 7:10am On Aug 11, 2016
visit my blog gurusfanz..com or pm me for AdSense account at cheaper rate
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by kingDELE(m): 7:11am On Aug 11, 2016
faceland:

You should also repeat the same at these link: https://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html

Then wait for 2day and see it in searcg result (except if their are other bigger website with the same content, then it wouldn't appear on the top 10).
thanks alot. I have just did dat. Now will I be doin this regularly or once done dat is all?
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Jeroboy(m): 7:11am On Aug 11, 2016
Jeroboy:
visit my blog www.gurusfanz..com or pm me for AdSense account at cheaper rate
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Emeka71(m): 7:13am On Aug 11, 2016
rummeh:
Sir i do deviate sometimes to get viral traffic for my blog..... I rank on yahoo and bing but i hardly rank on google
But; how do you get to know your rank?
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Talius(m): 7:16am On Aug 11, 2016
kingDELE:

Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by teacherbim(f): 7:24am On Aug 11, 2016
Talius:
Good points my brother.

Happy Birthday,wishing you llnp

1 Like

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Talius(m): 7:24am On Aug 11, 2016
kingDELE:

Amen. Thank you.
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by VocalWalls: 7:34am On Aug 11, 2016
The most important thing a business owner should have is a unique landing page
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Talius(m): 7:38am On Aug 11, 2016
teacherbim:

Happy Birthday,wishing you llnp
Thank you dear.
Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by sixtus3606(m): 7:55am On Aug 11, 2016
faceland:

Useful! Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by Ambi25: 8:07am On Aug 11, 2016
I am way up there! Upgraded

Re: 6 Blogging Mistakes All Business Owners Should Avoid At All Costs! by rummeh: 8:16am On Aug 11, 2016
Emeka71:
But; how do you get to know your rank?

What i mean is that I rank in bing search engine... Yahoo As well

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder / Why So Low CPC For Nigeria On Adsense Reports? / Fact File: See How The Seven Keys Of The Internet Work - Naijatechguy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.