Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,019 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls (2667 Views)

Please Help, I Am A Man But, I Behave Feminine! / My In-laws Are Making Me Get Tired OF MY Marriage / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by JCKA23: 2:52pm On Aug 11, 2016
We got married a year ago we have a son that is a year old, I m a civil servant same as my wife, we live in Lagos where house rent is not very expensive but can chop deep in to an average civil servants income..

We started with one car on our 6 month of marriage some one blessed us with another car...

All my plan was that I will sell 1 and build a small room and parlour in a nearby family peace of land I inherited...

Before that could be done the My Mother inlaws came that I should give her one of the cars she's going somewhere I thought its something that won't pass 1 week its now 10months

I became very crazy and angry when I discover that this month even the money for day care I couldn't pay because of house rent and the Lady is not even talking about bringing back the car + my wife is not helping matters she won't talk to her Mother to bring the car back.

if I talk she will say this is her mother how do I want her to do.

meanwhile I told her that my own parents can never do that and she knows they won't.

pls help me out... what should I do?
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by ammyluv2002(f): 3:00pm On Aug 11, 2016
Shey, dey use glue gum your mouth ni? Go and ask her for your car now shocked shocked

Oga, once you've agreed with your woman to sell the car, your mother in law shouldn't stop you. She's your wife's mother not your God. There's nothing to help you here, your story is very simple.

6 Likes

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by ezechueze(m): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2016
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by ajasbaba(m): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2016
sorry

but she bi you dey marry en daughter,

ask you wife make she tell her father say you wan use your car.

Or nah free you dey marry her.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Acidosis(m): 3:08pm On Aug 11, 2016
Ahan!!
Another MIL wahala?!
Women change your ways, haba!
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Acidosis(m): 3:09pm On Aug 11, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Shey, dey use glue gum your mouth ni? Go and ask him for your car now shocked shocked

Oga, once you've agreed with your woman to sell the car, your father in law shouldn't stop you. He's your wife's father not your God. There's nothing to help you here, your story is very simple.

MIL, not FIL
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by greyce: 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2016
What's d problem with most in-laws,y won't they allow young couples to enjoy their homes
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by ammyluv2002(f): 3:17pm On Aug 11, 2016
Acidosis:

MIL, not FIL
It's even more annoying sef. Why would my mum drive my hubby's car for 10 months without permission? I tell her say na she we buy the car for? undecided undecided

First of all, my dad wont even allow her use the car in his house.

Secondly, i will never never allow such act not when we've agreed to sell for our own good. It's so so annoying, I'm even upset right now #Hiss

Thanks for the correction

4 Likes

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by JCKA23: 3:18pm On Aug 11, 2016
Acidosis:

MIL, not FIL
lol, I edited the story that's why

1 Like

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by lilmax(m): 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
weak man

5 Likes

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by jashar(f): 4:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
hmmm..... it's a delicate issue oo. What's your wife's' take on it?

Did you actually tell mama verbally that the car was to be borrowed for a short while?

Have you verbally told her to return it and she refused?

Because it's like mama have kolumbi the car as part of bride-price. grin grin grin

The longer it stays with her, the harder it will be to get it back.

You and wifey need to sit down and figure out a definite approach to get the car back without ruffling too many feathers.

Someone is bound to get hurt though.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by lecturerdabo(m): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
JCKA23:
We got married a year ago we have a son that is a year old, I m a civil servant same as my wife, we live in Lagos where house rent is not very expensive but can chop deep in to an average civil servants income..

We started with one car on our 6 month of marriage some one blessed us with another car...

All my plan was that I will sell 1 and build a small room and parlour in a nearby family peace of land I inherited...

Before that could be done the My Mother inlaws came that I should give her one of the cars she's going somewhere I thought its something that won't pass 1 week its now 10months

I became very crazy and angry when I discover that this month even the money for day care I couldn't pay because of house rent and the Lady is not even talking about bringing back the car + my wife is not helping matters she won't talk to her Mother to bring the car back.

meanwhile I told her that my own parents can never do that and she knows they won't.

Dear Weakling,
Can you please go park the car u ar currently using at your mechanic's place?

If yes,

Go ask Mum in law with EVERY GOOD MANNER to help you with the other car to help you move around since the other is going through repairs!

NB: You can sell the car that is at mechanic place with the reason that repairs will cost much and you ar cash trapped seriously!!

Or

Use the car for some days, take it to the mechanic and retieve the first! From the sale and collect your money!!!

9 Likes

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 11, 2016
1st of all u have a shameless mother-in-law

Go to her husband (ur father-in-law) and ask him to caution her and return ur car. Whether he cautions her or not, ur attention is abt reporting her to the relevant people so dat you won't be blamed when u take radical steps.

I would have suggested u go to their family head but by doing so, u're broadcasting ur progress and its not good. You might also be seen as pompous

But let d relevant family members know esp those who have a gud relating sense and reasoning b4 u go to her directly bcus a woman esp an in-law would put up a hostile reaction to you for asking for your own property and it may be a life trouble to ur marriage

3 Likes

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 11, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Shey, dey use glue gum your mouth ni? Go and ask her for your car now shocked shocked

Oga, once you've agreed with your woman to sell the car, your mother in law shouldn't stop you. He's your wife's mother not your God. There's nothing to help you here, your story is very simple.

This is not how to approach an in-law issue especially with a woman let alone a mother-in-law. Are you a kid?

1 Like

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by ammyluv2002(f): 5:28pm On Aug 11, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

This is not how to approach an in-law issue especially with a woman let alone a mother-in-law. Are you a kid?
Akuku! Are you a kid ko ni undecided undecided undecided
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by crackhaus: 5:48pm On Aug 11, 2016
Oga, there's a certain kind of man whose MIL can just waltz all in and take over one of his cars indefinitely.

Check yourself!

2 Likes

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by MENZPRIDE(m): 6:34pm On Aug 11, 2016
Op it is a delicate matter and your wife is not helping issues.
Try and balance the equation, take the remaining car to your mum. Then watch your wife's reaction.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by JustHere2Observ(f): 6:46pm On Aug 11, 2016
Here is a template.
You: mama, how are you and family, hope fine?
Mama: thank God my son
You: mama, I want to let you know I'm coming for the car this week. I need it urgently.

I dont think its that difficult, dont ask her if she is done using the car.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by eyinjuege: 9:18pm On Aug 11, 2016
Someone suggested you park the other car at the mechanic's or a friend's place. It suddenly developed a fault.
Tell her you're going for a wedding this weekend from your family side and you wouldn't want to trek there before people start questioning you.
Tell her Friday evening that you're coming to see her first thing on Saturday morning. Make sure you're dressed for a party. Take public transport to her house
Collect your car, and tell her you'll see her again Sunday morning.
From there carry the car to the mechanic to put for sale on it, and go back home.

1 Like

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Neverquit(f): 9:31pm On Aug 11, 2016
Why did you wait this long to demand for your car? Or you were demanding but she still didn't return it?

At this point, your mil (and wife) already see you as a weakling. Only drastic steps can get you that car back. The best and swift thing to do is have her arrested. Yes it's harsh, but wicked people don't deserve mercy. The longer you delay, the less money you will get from the sale. So act NOW.

If your wife disagrees, she does not want your progress. If care is not taken, she can leave you when things gets really tough for you.

My opinion

JCKA23:

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by freecocoa(f): 10:36pm On Aug 11, 2016
All these stories sef, I really find them hard to believe.

How can someone seize another's car just like that and you can't go collect it from them, as in just march over to their house and take your car back, just how?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by crackhaus: 10:43pm On Aug 11, 2016
freecocoa:
All these stories sef, I really find them hard to believe.

How can someone seize another's car just like that and you can't go collect it from them, as in just march over to their house and take your car back, just how?
Abi..
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by freecocoa(f): 10:52pm On Aug 11, 2016
crackhaus:

Abi..
I dey tell you o.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by crackhaus: 10:53pm On Aug 11, 2016
eyinjuege:
Someone suggested you park the other car at the mechanic's or a friend's place. It suddenly developed a fault.
Tell her you're going for a wedding this weekend from your family side and you wouldn't want to trek there before people start questioning you.
Tell her Friday evening that you're coming to see her first thing on Saturday morning. Make sure you're dressed for a party. Take public transport to her house
Collect your car, and tell her you'll see her again Sunday morning.
From there carry the car to the mechanic to put for sale on it, and go back home.
All this just to collect his own car from someone who doesn't even know how to say "please, can I make use of your car for a few more weeks.."

A car oo, not a book or a pen.. A damn car! cheesycheesy

I would have reported the car stolen by now, then we'll see who'll be calling for family meeting.

No, wait! It couldn't even possibly be me, because person suppose look face before pulling this kind stunt.

1 Like

Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by crackhaus: 10:55pm On Aug 11, 2016
freecocoa:
I dey tell you o.
You just scarce babe, what be?
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by freecocoa(f): 11:05pm On Aug 11, 2016
crackhaus:

You just scarce babe, what be?
Mehn! Life has happened o guy, independence/adulthood ain't no joke, 24 hours is not enough anymore, then there's the fact that this place is just not what it used to be, I even still check in due to addiction, that which I'm kicking gradually.grin

How you been?
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Richy4(m): 11:51pm On Aug 11, 2016
Assuming you have no kid yet, i would have asked u to take the other car to your mother or sister,

If she asked, you return her words back to her by saying" Oh she is my sister, what do u want me to say... "

Mennnn!!!! Some married people are really swallowing a lot of crap just for peace to reign Supreme....
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by cococandy(f): 12:37am On Aug 12, 2016
But after 10 months, has the value of the car not gone down? Considering you wanted to sell it and use the money for another project.
Oga you let this thing linger for too long and even if you get it back, you've already lost. I can assure you that car won't come back in the same shape it was when it left.

Na wa for in-laws from hell. Instead of helping young married couples to succeed, their mission is to introduce discomfort and awkwardness in all the ways they can. Tufia.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Nobody: 1:06am On Aug 12, 2016
crackhaus:

All this just to collect his own car from someone who doesn't even know how to say "please, can I make use of your car for a few more weeks.."
A car oo, not a book or a pen.. A damn car! cheesycheesy
I would have reported the car stolen by now, then we'll see who'll be calling for family meeting.
No, wait! It couldn't even possibly be me, because person suppose look face before pulling this kind stunt.

EOD grin. "There is a reason why I smile once in every 10 years"
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 12, 2016
very simple, go to her house,and use same trick she played on you....

all these disgraceful MIL...

what to reap where they didn't sow.

my MIL can't try that nonsense with me,she no dey look face ni?

I hardly laugh when she's around.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by MissRike(f): 8:15am On Aug 12, 2016
I think your wife planned it with her mother to come take the car since you have two coz I don't know why a good mother would even want to borrow a car from her son-in-law and not return it after 1week max undecided

Well, be a man and politely ask ur MIL for ur car to be returned. Before that, make sure u don't pick ur wife in ur car for sometime, I'm sure when she's uncomfortable, she'll even be the one to walk up to her mom to return the car.
Re: When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls by 0kp0nku: 8:37am On Aug 12, 2016
Op, pls be a man.

Pick up your phone, call your mother-in-law that you need your car back and go and get your car. You do not need anybody's approval to get back what rightly belongs to you. You can decide what you want to do with the car thereafter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

24 Year Old Lady Being Forced To Have An Abortion Needs Help / Health, Skin & Hair Benefits Of Raw & Unrefined Shea Butter / Nairaland Top 10 Threads Of The Decade!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.