Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Are You A Jobseeker And You Do Not Like Marketing? Then, You Are A Learner! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are You A Jobseeker And You Do Not Like Marketing? Then, You Are A Learner! (1250 Views)

Check out this Conversation Between GTB And A Jobseeker On Twitter / Ordeal Of A Jobseeker Today In Victoria Island,pls Beware / See Ds Interesting Thread I Saw On Twitter,Shows Reality Of Life As A JobSeeker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Jobseeker And You Do Not Like Marketing? Then, You Are A Learner! by ogzille(m): 3:58pm On Aug 11, 2016
Do you know that job search is marketing?
Do you give employers reasons to pick you from the lot?
If you are about applying for a position and cannot answer the question "Why will I be invited for this position?", then, do not hit Send button yet.

We all understand the element of "luck" and "God factor" but we need to sell ourselves.

Selling here does not mean the following:
1. "I am a graduate of XYZ..."; what does it change? Being a graduate is not a big deal now.
2. "I am hardworking, committed, etc."; they are too generic; afterall we are all hardworking on paper.
3. "I have been looking for a job, please I need help..." This line is now trite. We have millions of unemployed & underemployed Nigerians. I guess you know they all need help.

Find below few illustrations of the selling you need. Please note that this list is not in any way exhaustive.

A. Before Application:

- Ask yourself this question: What can I offer? What skill do I possess? If you cannot answer this question, please learn a skill.
- If you want to learn but cannot afford classroom training, take free courses online. Data is a lot more affordable now. Below are platforms offering online courses

1-www.edx.org/
2- www.coursera.org
3- www.udacity.com
4- www.edraak.org/en
5- www.class.stanford.edu
6- www.venture-lab.org
7- www.udemy.com
8- www.openhpi.de
9- www.ocw.mit.edu
10- www.khanacademy.org
11- www.oli.cmu.edu
12- www.oyc.yale.edu
13- www.webcast.berkeley.edu
14- http://openclassroom.stanford.edu/MainFolder/HomePage.php
15- www.see.stanford.edu
16- www.ck12.org
17- www.skillshare.com

- We know that your ability to speak good English is not really a measure of intelligence but reality is this: it matters. If your English is not sound, pick a Secondary School book on tenses. Yes, Secondary School book.
- Sell yourself socially. Create professional LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.

--- to be continued. Duty calls. I will continue from here when I have some more time to spare.

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Jobseeker And You Do Not Like Marketing? Then, You Are A Learner! by richiepauls: 10:03am On Aug 12, 2016
Informative. Thumbs up

(1) (Reply)

Graduate Recruitment At Berger Paints Nig. Plc / Npower / Mckinsey & Company: Request For Additional Information

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.