Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,140 members, 7,860,096 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:02 AM

News Updates, August 11 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / News Updates, August 11 (419 Views)

News Updates, August 17 / News Updates, August 5 / News Updates, August 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

News Updates, August 11 by Newsbreakers: 7:03pm On Aug 11, 2016
Banky W shares sweet photo with his parents

The music star ‎shared this photo with his parents as he prepared to leave Washington DC for Atlanta. His parents recently celebrated their 38th wedding anniversary.

UNILAG Students Dress As NURTW Officials To Celebrate Their Costume Day [Photos]

It was all humor and fun as the final year students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) celebrated their costume day. The students from across various departments wore different costumes ranging from National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) uniform to Egyptian apparels.

Costume day celebration is an annual practice among final year students of the institution. People from around the school were at the Department’s premises to watch the event.

Police discover thousands of bullets buried in Anambra community [PHOTOS]

There was shock and panic in Agulu, Anaocha Local Government Area of Anambra State on Tuesday as policemen uncovered a cache of bullets buried underground.

The bullets were buried on a piece of land in the area.

While members of the community denied knowledge of how the bullets got there, the state Commissioner of Police, CP, Sam Okaula, briefing newsmen at the site where the bullets were buried, said several buckets of bullets have been unearthed and that there were still some left which was yet to be brought to the surface.

“The bullets were discovered while the foundation of a building project for a community member was being dug

“Investigations is ongoing to find out the purpose the bullets were acquired, when the bullets were acquired and who bought and buried the bullets.

“A full investigation will be carried out and we will be able to establish the purpose why they have been found in the area,” Okaula added.

15 inmates escape from prison in Enugu

At least 15 inmates have escaped in a jailbreak that occurred at Nsukka Prison in Enugu state.
Quoting a source at the prison, NAN reports the inmates broke their cells and scaled over the perimeter fence late Tuesday.

“The inmates carefully opened their cells and scaled the perimeter fence of the prisons,” the source was reported as saying.
“Before prison officials on night duty knew what was happening, about 15 inmates had escaped.”

Lawrence Okonkwo, controller of prison, confirmed the jailbreak but declined to give the number of inmates that escaped.

“Yes there was a jailbreak last night in Nsukka prison but I am not in a position to say how many prisoners escaped,” he said.

“We are expecting the Enugu state prisons controller, Mr Isaiah Amariri, in Nsukka prison so that we brief him on what happened last night.

“He will be the one to tell the public the number of inmates that escaped, the re-arrested ones and efforts put in place to arrest those still on the run.”

However, unconfirmed reports say that two escapees had been rearrested.

Officials of the Nigeria Prisons Service were seen in parts of Nsukka and its environs on Wednesday searching for fleeing inmates

Lagos prophet who abducted Muslim teenager says he wanted to cast out spell from her

The Lagos State Police Command on Wednesday paraded a prophet who abducted a 16-year-old Muslim girl.

The 26-year-old man, David Ifunaya, a prophet with Immaculate Ministry in Satellite Town confessed to the crime.

According to him, he did it to liberate the victim’s family from a spell.

The state Commissioner of Police, CP, Fatai Owoseni, who paraded the suspect before newsmen at the command headquarters, said the suspect abducted the victim for three weeks after the victim told him that her father is a herbalist.

Owoseni said, “Throughout her stay in his place, neither did he nor his victim call her parents, who were searching everywhere for her. She was later traced to the suspect’s home in Satellite area of Lagos, following which her parents reported the case to police,” the CP added.

In his confession, the suspect claimed he did what he did to cast out a spell from the teenager.

Speaking before newsmen, Ifunaya said, “I met the girl earlier this year and ministered to her. I told her that her family was under a spell and later gave her a handbill, which she rejected saying that her aunt would be angry with her for collecting a Christian handbill, since they are Muslims.

“She, however, requested for my number which I gave to her. Since then, she calls me for prayers and counselling. I even prayed for her and she passed her JAMB exams. When she called and told me she was coming to my house without the knowledge of her parents, I refused but later agreed because she kept pleading that she needed spiritual help.

“She also lamented that nothing was going on well for her and her family and attributed it to the spell in her family.

“She said she was convinced I am a man of God because since I prayed for her, things have been going on well with her,” the prophet added.

On her part, the teenager said she was carried away by the accurate prophesy Ifunaya gave concerning her and her family, adding that she was on her way to her uncle’s place on July 31, only to find herself at the prophet’s house where she stayed for eight days.

The unnamed girl said, “While in his house, he introduced me to his pastor as his sister.

“I slept in his bedroom and he never made any advances on me,” she added.

The CP further stated that investigation into the case had begun.

Osun: Alleged female ‘touch and follow’ kidnapper paraded naked

Residents of Ilesha area of Ogun state, on Wednesday, meted jungle justice on an alleged female kidnapper.

Eyewitnesses claim that the lady was attempting to kidnap a 9-year-old girl when she was caught.

They claim the child, who had allegedly been hypnotized, was following her without being aware of where she was being led to, an act they described to newsmen as ‘touch and follow.’

They raised the alarm and an irate mob apprehended the light-skinned lady who was stripped, beaten and paraded stark naked on the street.

In a video clip that has gone viral online, the suspected kidnapper was seen struggling with the mob who tried to strip her naked.

Speaking in Yoruba language, the mob followed the parade, chanting ‘ole’ (thief), ‘your own don finish today’.

She was reportedly led to a police station in the area but as at press time, the Ogun state Police spokesperson had not responded yet to a text message sent for comments.

54 Benue students denounce cultism

No fewer than 54 students from various tertiary institutions in Benue State have denounced cultism.

The students left different cult groups during an interactive session between heads of tertiary institutions in the state and the Coordinator of Campus Cult Eradication Foundation, an NGO.

The students made the decision at a meeting co-sponsored by the police.

Miss Blessing Ibrahim, a student of Benue Polytechnic, Ugbokolo, who renounced her membership at the meeting, told newsmen that she did so owing to the non-beneficial nature of cultism.

The ex-cultists said that they were tired of their association with the groups and willingly denounced their membership.

Speaking during the interactive session, Prof. Mathias Nder, Rector, Katsina-Ala College of Education, Katsina-Ala, said cult activities posed serious security challenges to the institution.

Nder said that most lecturers in the school lived under threats of physical harassment from cult groups who demanded money in exchange for attacks.

“The increased cases of insecurity in the state is as a result of the collapse in the social values of our society today.

“Therefore, we need to include ethics and moral courses in the academic curriculum since the culture of a people is buried in the people’s language”, he stated.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka,the Inspiring Life Story Of Nigeria’s First Nobel Laureate / Funny Nigerian Version Of The Bible in relation to the economic situations / Find The Dulllard In This Picture.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.