Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,778 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! (2834 Views)

Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change / Honda Pilot Advice Needed / I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by bimbor(m): 4:36pm On Aug 12, 2016
I recently bought this SP20 Perkins Engine Mikano Generator as fairly used.

I have already started experiencing problems with the generator even though I have not used it at all. After proper servicing, I put on the generator for the first time, after about 30 minutes the generator went off on its own. When I went to check I saw a display on the LCD unit saying "alarmist - High water temperature"

I then sent for the mechanic to run a check as to what could be responsible for this. When he came he said the water in the radiator has finished. But I made sure the radiator was filled to the brim before starting the engine. Then he said there is a possibility the radiator was leaking somewhere. He opened the engine head and again said the top gasket has blown. And so water was escaping into the engine block. So he changed the gasket and took thw radiator for repairs. After that he coupled the engine back. But again we started the gen. After 30 minutes it wet off again displaying the same msg "High water temperature" and the engine refused to start again. I called the mechanics again. Now after checking he said water and oil is mixing inside the engine.

Pease I need experts here to help me look into this bizzare issue. I just bought this generator less than two weeks. What can case water and oil to mix inside Engine? What is the way out now?
Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by sultaan(m): 6:37pm On Aug 12, 2016
The same reason some cars overheat is what you might be experiencing now.

The previous owner probably sold it knowing of the existing fault. It can either be bad gasket, warped cylinder head or a cracked cylinder it will be up to your mechanic to do a proper diagnosis.
Save for a new engine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by fashrola(m): 2:43am On Aug 13, 2016
bimbor:
I recently bought this SP20 Perkins Engine Mikano Generator as fairly used.

I have already started experiencing problems with the generator even though I have not used it at all. After proper servicing, I put on the generator for the first time, after about 30 minutes the generator went off on its own. When I went to check I saw a display on the LCD unit saying "alarmist - High water temperature"

I then sent for the mechanic to run a check as to what could be responsible for this. When he came he said the water in the radiator has finished. But I made sure the radiator was filled to the brim before starting the engine. Then he said there is a possibility the radiator was leaking somewhere. He opened the engine head and again said the top gasket has blown. And so water was escaping into the engine block. So he changed the gasket and took thw radiator for repairs. After that he coupled the engine back. But again we started the gen. After 30 minutes it wet off again displaying the same msg "High water temperature" and the engine refused to start again. I called the mechanics again. Now after checking he said water and oil is mixing inside the engine.

Pease I need experts here to help me look into this bizzare issue. I just bought this generator less than two weeks. What can case water and oil to mix inside Engine? What is the way out now?

Common problems associated with high water temperature in diesel engines

*Could be Faulty water pumps (For marine diesel engines)
*Cracked cylinder head
*Faulty sensor and thermostat; This might send wrong signal to the gen set which would trip off the gen set
*Scale formation inside your radiator thereby hindering air flow to cool the water in your radiator, I would advise you conduct a water cooling analysis or you flush your radiator
*Engine lubricating oil level: Oil level too low or too high will cause overheating and possible loss of the coolant.
*Also check your radiator tank cap gasket and make sure you don't over fill your radiator with water/coolant

I don't know how your engine looks like, Does your engine have a fan which cools the radiator? If yes have you checked the Vee Belt tension? You can tell me the type of cooling system employed on your diesel engine and i'll try to help

I'm just giving you tips based on my experience of marine diesel engines (CAT, Wartsila, BlackStone, MTU engines)

2 Likes

Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by mejai(m): 6:50am On Aug 13, 2016
Gazzuzz u r needed o. pls come along with kingreign, ikenna351 and others. grin
Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:09am On Aug 13, 2016
Coolant escaping into combustion chamber. Could be a wrapped cylinder head (resurface or replace head) could be a cracked cylinder wall(replace block)

Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by mayor2013: 10:29am On Aug 13, 2016
There is need for generator talk session grin. Blown head gasket, warped cylinder head, cracked cylinder wall. Worse case scenario. Engine change is the way forward

1 Like

Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by bimbor(m): 7:21pm On Aug 13, 2016
fashrola:

Common problems associated with high water temperature in diesel engines

*Could be Faulty water pumps (For marine diesel engines)
*Cracked cylinder head
*Faulty sensor and thermostat; This might send wrong signal to the gen set which would trip off the gen set
*Scale formation inside your radiator thereby hindering air flow to cool the water in your radiator, I would advise you conduct a water cooling analysis or you flush your radiator
*Engine lubricating oil level: Oil level too low or too high will cause overheating and possible loss of the coolant.
*Also check your radiator tank cap gasket and make sure you don't over fill your radiator with water/coolant

I don't know how your engine looks like, Does your engine have a fan which cools the radiator? If yes have you checked the Vee Belt tension? You can tell me the type of cooling system employed on your diesel engine and i'll try to help

I'm just giving you tips based on my experience of marine diesel engines (CAT, Wartsila, BlackStone, MTU engines)

The radiator has a fan.

On checking the engine oil dipstick I saw signs that water is mixed with the oil.

1 Like

Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by bimbor(m): 7:22pm On Aug 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
Coolant escaping into combustion chamber. Could be a wrapped cylinder head (resurface or replace head) could be a cracked cylinder wall(replace block)

We already replaced the head gasket once.
Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by bimbor(m): 7:22pm On Aug 13, 2016
mayor2013:
There is need for generator talk session grin. Blown head gasket, warped cylinder head, cracked cylinder wall. Worse case scenario. Engine change is the way forward

How much does the engine cost?

Here is a picture of the generator.

Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by fashrola(m): 7:51pm On Aug 13, 2016
bimbor:

The radiator has a fan.

On checking the engine oil dipstick I saw signs that water is mixed with the oil.

When lube oil mix with water in diesel engines, the main reason is a cracked cylinder head gasket or cracked cylinder head, another possible reason is a damaged or cracked oil cooler or possibly could be failure in water pump seal which allows oil mix with water

2 Likes

Re: Any Mikano Generator Experts On Nairaland? Advice Needed! by Homeyfav: 9:03pm On Dec 07, 2019
][;'l,

(1) (Reply)

The Best Investment On Earth Is Earth- Potter Gardens and Park Ibeju Lekki N1.5m / PERFECTLY DRY LAND WITH THE BEST PROMO OFFER IN IBEJU LEKKI, LAGOS STATE. / Uyo Central Business District Skyline Reshapes With 21 Storey Smart Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.