Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,494 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? (475 Views)

Born Again Lady, Sylvia Eguonor, Shares Before & After Photos / Born Again Lady Uses Knife To Cut Her Tattooed Hand After Using Hot Iron / Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? by Sinkills: 7:24pm On Aug 12, 2016
Most of our forefathers were African religious adherents or idol worshippers. As such we were given names that eulogize the deities or symbolise submission to the authority of the gods. Later after some have embraced Christ, they decide to do away with the things that have to do with idolatry. Some even go further to change their names from say, Ogunbiyi (the god of iron brought this to the world) to Oluwabiyi (God brought this about) or Nwagbara (child of the gods) to Nwachukwu (child of God). Do you think change of name after conversion is really necessary?
Re: Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? by ritzyvic1(m): 7:35pm On Aug 12, 2016
I wouldn't consider name change a priority but to avoid you attributing the normal setbacks of life to the devil you were bearing his name (that you just deserted ), change your name and register it officially with NCAN grin
Re: Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? by psucc(m): 8:05pm On Aug 12, 2016
Personally I don't see anything wrong with the name. Rather, cementing pur relationship with God is paramount.
Re: Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? by Ishilove: 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2016
Name change is very necessary. Why carry around a name that glorifies idols? Everything we do, who we are should be to the glory of God
Re: Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? by Mockinbird: 8:19pm On Aug 12, 2016
If it doesn't fit change it!
Re: Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? by FearGodAndLive: 8:24pm On Aug 12, 2016
Worship a foreign God, bear a foreign name. Your ancestors are going to hell anyways. You wouldn't like to join them, would you?
Re: Is Change Of Name Necessary After One Is Born Again? by HCpaul(m): 9:40pm On Aug 12, 2016
The real meaning of your name is what makes sense. I am a type that doesn't even have future plan for my present name but instead choose to coin a different name that sounded more scientia to me.

If you are going for the Christian names make sure that you go and check their etymological meaning very well before bearing them cuz you will be surprised discovering that Peter mean 'stone'. Imagine just stone.

But learn more about Latin and search for names with real meaning though am not saying that stone is bad cuz it is a natural symbolism and not an idol.

(1) (Reply)

Bible Verses About ««how To Get Rich Quick»» / Can a Catholics make his/her Confesion On Phone? / Misconception About Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.