Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Searching For Significance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Searching For Significance (384 Views)

The Significance Of Palm Sunday / Ash Wednesday: Significance And How To Make Good Use Of It / What Are The Significance Of Going To Church Every 31st Of December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Searching For Significance by Samdebest: 10:47am On Aug 13, 2016
"SEARCHING FOR SIGNIFICANCE (1)" ‘…You are Mine.’ Isaiah 43:1 NKJV Do you remember the hit song by Dean Martin, ‘You’re Nobody till Somebody Loves You’? Such lyrics show up our deepest concern. We want our lives to matter, to mean something. Our deepest fear is of coming and going—and nobody knowing! We strive with our lack of education, our spot on the financial totem pole, and our looks. That’s why it bothers us when a friend forgets to call, or a teacher forgets our name, or a colleague takes credit for something we have done. We crave attention, drop the names of important people in conversations, and put flashy hubcaps on our cars. Fashion designers tell us, ‘You’ll be somebody if you wear our jeans.’ So we go out and spend half our wages on a pair of Italian jeans. But then— horror of horrors—the style changes from tight to baggy, faded to black, and we’re left wearing yesterday’s jeans, feeling like yesterday’s news. Simply stated: you can’t gain significance from the outside. It’s an inside job. Your sense of significance must come from someone you trust, someone you know will never change, someone who knows the worst about you and always believes the best. And there’s only one such source: God. So read on: ‘Thus says the Lord, who created you…who formed you… Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned…For I am the Lord your God…you [are] precious in My sight’ (vv. 1-4 NKJV). Soul Food Reading: Num 16-18, Mt 12: 15-21, Ps 107: 33-43, Prov 3:27-28. Courtesy Grace So Amazing Foundation COPIED
Re: Searching For Significance by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 13, 2016
indeed brother, we search for significance. We want to believe there is something or (someone) looking out for us. In this cold world of the cosmos; we want to believe we are not just a very little piece; inconsequential in this grand universe.

It's our most secret fear; the very core dread you have in the center of your soul that you don't really notice until someone dies or something happens to a loved one.

It is then we ask ourselves "Am I really special? Is there no one looking out for me? Does anyone even care?"

One of the most popular religion claims that our good deeds and bad deeds are weighed. When your good deeds overcomes the bad deeds; you enter paradise. If not, fire.

Another claims you believe that an incarnate of a benevolent force came to this fragile planet and died. All we have to do is believe he died and enter paradise.

Still another claims when we die; we reincarnate. That life is an evercontinous circle; an unending loop, if you will.

All these religions hold something in their core; that there is more to us than just this world. That we are not just simply very efficent biochemical mechanism whose propagates its Unit of inheritance. That we are not inconsequential. That we're significant.

Load of tosh!

We live, we love, we play, we sing and we die.

Everything dies.

From nanobots to supergalaxies; everything dies.

From amoebas to the blue whale, everything dies.

So why then do we think we will not?

Life should be viewed as a journey and a destination. That we came here alone; that we're the luckiest and fastest out of some million sprem cells; that we're alive is something we should be grateful for. We should strive to leave a better legacy for our children; we should strive to make this world better than we left it; we should make damn sure that when we die; there'll be people who will point and our grave and say "Shame, a good man is gone".

Why?

Not because of rewards, I assure you. Not because of a voice telling us "Good job!"

But because our fathers and forefathers did the same. They fought for us to get to the top of the foodchain. They fought to establish dominance over the world. They might not have known; but they made our lives better. It might not have been their intention but we enjoyed life more due to their efforts.

It falls on us; it is also our task, no, our duty, our responsibility to do the same for our kids.

Not because of a reward, not due to promise of a peaceful place.

But because we damn well ought to.

And if after we live doing good; if our acts of kindness made other lives better and we die; I don't think any higher power (If he/she/it exists) will condemn us to burning lakes.

Rather, I feel it will welcome us to paradise.

He does all the good things that you would never do.

He loves me and you

His love is true

Why can't he be you

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Searching For Significance by Samdebest: 2:50pm On Sep 07, 2016
What a write up !

(1) (Reply)

Destruction Of Farms By Herdsmen Not Enough Justification For Violence – Sultan / Nakali / 10 Facts About Apostle Anselm Madubuko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.