Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,680 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Starting A New Pharmacy Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A New Pharmacy Business (4493 Views)

. / 6 Tips For Starting A Successful Small Business / Want To Start A Chemist Or Pharmacy Business? Lets Talk Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 14, 2016
This your opportunity to learn from someone who has successfully started a pharmacy business literally from the scratch and has grown it into a multimillion naira business in a matter of months.

If you are interested and serious about your interest, you either drop your questions here or you drop your email address.
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by xreal: 12:44am On Aug 14, 2016
Can someone who hasn't studied pharmacy in school open a pharmacy store?
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Nobody: 12:47am On Aug 14, 2016
Yes, there is way to go about it though.
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by belovedaja(m): 5:10am On Aug 14, 2016
What does it take on the average how much is required. Nnan2007@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by fabem(m): 7:46am On Aug 14, 2016
bizme:
This your opportunity to learn from someone who has successfully started a pharmacy business literally from the scratch and has grown it into a multimillion naira business in a matter of months.

If you are interested and serious about your interest, you either drop your questions here or you drop your email address.

i have someone who she is a nurse. She have been planning to have a pharmacy shop. Please what is the way out?
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by meetgaya: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2016
I am interested in pharmacy store business even though I am not pharmacy by discipline. Here is my email meetgaya@gmail.com
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 14, 2016
fabem:

i have someone who she is a nurse. She have been planning to have a pharmacy shop. Please what is the way out?

Being a nurse does not automatically qualify you to open a pharmacy, only being a pharmacist does. However, if you are not a pharmacist and you want to open a pharmacy there are things you can do which apply generally to anyone interested in the professional business. It is first compulsory to incorporate the business and have a pharmacist as one of the directors. This is where being a pharmacist or being married to one gives you the advantage. Otherwise you can approach a pharmacist to be a co-director of the company.
Incorporation, with pharmacist as member of the board is the first crucial step.

Note that there is a difference between pharmacy and chemist (patent medicine) store.
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 14, 2016
xreal:
Can someone who hasn't studied pharmacy in school open a pharmacy store?

Definitely yes. Some of the biggest richest pharmacies in many states are owned by non-pharmacists. Technically there is no professional business that non-professionals can not open. For instance, you don't have to be a medical doctors to have a hospital, so long you know how to go about it and have the money to hire the professional.

1 Like

Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by kaze4blues(m): 11:38am On Aug 14, 2016
Pls help me with the details
popoolakazeem62@gmail.com
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 14, 2016
On a general note in starting a community pharmacy, you will need to attend to the following:

1) Negotiate with a registered pharmacist (beware of fake ones) to become a member of the board of your company: This should not cost you much, in fact it is better to agree to an income sharing formula. Getting a pharmacist on the board is not an optional requirement. And it is to your benefit; he/she is going to save your neck when the regulators come calling. And yes, they certainly will come.

2) Apply to the corporate affairs commission for incorporation: it is essential that you have a unique business name that has not been used by any other person. For this you will apply at the CAC for name verification; takes anything from one to two weeks. This requirement too is obligatory; all pharmacies must be incorporated as company.

3) Get a good location and apply to the department of pharmaceutical services (of the state ministry of health) for site inspection: there are rules guiding the siting of pharmaceutical premises. First, they can not be within 200m of existing pharmaceutical premise. This however does not apply to existing patent medicine stores. A pharmacy can be cited within 200m of patent medicine stores, but patent medicine stores must not be sited within 400m of a pharmacy. Second, the location must not be in a market, not at bus stops, and not within a government hospital. Once you get a good location, before you pay the rent and before you start spending money on shelves and the likes, get the DPS to come for site inspection.

4) Once you get a go ahead, you can pay for the shop, and start shaping up. The floor must be tiled, the walls must be in good condition and ventilation must be provided (AC or multiple fans). Give good attention to the type of shelves you will make. Make shelves for the long term and not based on your present lean pocket. Pharmacies have the potential of growing very rapidly. If you are not careful, in just one year you may need stronger shelves. In less than a year I had to acquire the space next to my premise which I linked up to make it a lot bigger.
Since you have a pharmacist on board of the company, make sure you utilize him fully. Get him to guide you on these other stages. Make sure he advises you with respect to location. I can't emphasize this enough, location is everything. The location determines the kind of drugs that you will stock and the kind of patients you will have patronizing you.

5) You need a superintendent pharmacist to register the premise for you: this will cost you some money, or better still you can offer the pharmacist a good deal. You certainly need him to help you build the business to self-sufficiency. You can put him too on a basic salary and strike a deal with respect to his productivity. If you treat him well, it is well within the powers of a pharmacist to make you N500,000 or more from drugs worth nothing more than N100,000. Don't worry too much about his/her salary, in no time he/she will make you so much more than you are paying him per month. One more thing, make sure your superintendent pharmacist reports to the pharmacist on the board of your company. He will let you know the kind of drugs to stock, plus if you are in good terms he can help you get credit facilities provided exclusively to pharmacists such as the MediLoan of Diamond bank. Fidelity and IBTC have theirs as well.
Lets I forget: make sure you open a corporate account with a bank from the word go (I recommend Diamond bank), especially if you plan to leverage on credit from the banking industry. The loan they offer you often depends on your monthly turn over, to get that number up make sure you transfer money from your private accounts into this corporate account before transferring back to the private account for spending. Most banks require a minimum of 6 months with them before they can offer you credit facilities to expand your pharmaceutical operations.

5) Okay, this goes without saying: get drugs. I recommend you start small and let your pharmacist advise you on what to stock. If you are in plush setting it will make little sense to stock some drugs while others are going to be in high demand...and vice versa.

6) Employ other support staff, put them on basic salary and offer them allowances that depend on their productivity (daily or monthly sales). This will make them work with enthusiasm and treat your customers right. For instance, you could offer a sales girl N6,000 basic salary per month and tell her that any day the daily sales exceed N50,000 she will get N200 for that day. That's additional N6,000 if she is able to meet the daily target every day of the month.

Make sure your staff treat your customers well.

And remember, it is only a business that one starts that grows, not the one that remains in our head in the form of ideas and imaginations.

7 Likes

Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by belovedaja(m): 12:05pm On Aug 15, 2016
Can 500000 to 1million naira be enough to open a pharmacy
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by bobojoshua(m): 2:11pm On Aug 15, 2016
bizme:
On a general note in starting a community pharmacy, you will need to attend to the following:

1) Negotiate with a registered pharmacist (beware of fake ones) to become a member of the board of your company: This should not cost you much, in fact it is better to agree to an income sharing formula. Getting a pharmacist on the board is not an optional requirement. And it is to your benefit; he/she is going to save your neck when the regulators come calling. And yes, they certainly will come.

2) Apply to the corporate affairs commission for incorporation: it is essential that you have a unique business name that has not been used by any other person. For this you will apply at the CAC for name verification; takes anything from one to two weeks. This requirement too is obligatory; all pharmacies must be incorporated as company.

3) Get a good location and apply to the department of pharmaceutical services (of the state ministry of health) for site inspection: there are rules guiding the siting of pharmaceutical premises. First, they can not be within 200m of existing pharmaceutical premise. This however does not apply to existing patent medicine stores. A pharmacy can be cited within 200m of patent medicine stores, but patent medicine stores must not be sited within 400m of a pharmacy. Second, the location must not be in a market, not at bus stops, and not within a government hospital. Once you get a good location, before you pay the rent and before you start spending money on shelves and the likes, get the DPS to come for site inspection.

4) Once you get a go ahead, you can pay for the shop, and start shaping up. The floor must be tiled, the walls must be in good condition and ventilation must be provided (AC or multiple fans). Give good attention to the type of shelves you will make. Make shelves for the long term and not based on your present lean pocket. Pharmacies have the potential of growing very rapidly. If you are not careful, in just one year you may need stronger shelves. In less than a year I had to acquire the space next to my premise which I linked up to make it a lot bigger.
Since you have a pharmacist on board of the company, make sure you utilize him fully. Get him to guide you on these other stages. Make sure he advises you with respect to location. I can't emphasize this enough, location is everything. The location determines the kind of drugs that you will stock and the kind of patients you will have patronizing you.

5) You need a superintendent pharmacist to register the premise for you: this will cost you some money, or better still you can offer the pharmacist a good deal. You certainly need him to help you build the business to self-sufficiency. You can put him too on a basic salary and strike a deal with respect to his productivity. If you treat him well, it is well within the powers of a pharmacist to make you N500,000 or more from drugs worth nothing more than N100,000. Don't worry too much about his/her salary, in no time he/she will make you so much more than you are paying him per month. One more thing, make sure your superintendent pharmacist reports to the pharmacist on the board of your company. He will let you know the kind of drugs to stock, plus if you are in good terms he can help you get credit facilities provided exclusively to pharmacists such as the MediLoan of Diamond bank. Fidelity and IBTC have theirs as well.
Lets I forget: make sure you open a corporate account with a bank from the word go (I recommend Diamond bank), especially if you plan to leverage on credit from the banking industry. The loan they offer you often depends on your monthly turn over, to get that number up make sure you transfer money from your private accounts into this corporate account before transferring back to the private account for spending. Most banks require a minimum of 6 months with them before they can offer you credit facilities to expand your pharmaceutical operations.

5) Okay, this goes without saying: get drugs. I recommend you start small and let your pharmacist advise you on what to stock. If you are in plush setting it will make little sense to stock some drugs while others are going to be in high demand...and vice versa.

6) Employ other support staff, put them on basic salary and offer them allowances that depend on their productivity (daily or monthly sales). This will make them work with enthusiasm and treat your customers right. For instance, you could offer a sales girl N6,000 basic salary per month and tell her that any day the daily sales exceed N50,000 she will get N200 for that day. That's additional N6,000 if she is able to meet the daily target every day of the month.

Make sure your staff treat your customers well.

And remember, it is only a business that one starts that grows, not the one that remains in our head in the form of ideas and imaginations.
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by olab007(m): 2:25pm On Aug 15, 2016
GREAT WORK BUT I WILL LIKE TO KNOW LIKE AO MUCH CAN START UP A PHARMACY STORE KINDLY SEND TO MY MAIL OLAB007@YAHOO.COM THANKS
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Wefiak1414(m): 11:25am On Aug 28, 2016
I am very much interested. Sundayita@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Youngmaster0(m): 9:17pm On Aug 28, 2016
emekachigbo@rocketmail.com WhatsApp 08063764867
We have alot to talk about, 2weeks my number is out of here
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by yusufadebayo02(m): 2:24am On Aug 29, 2016
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by JamiuO: 8:07am On Aug 29, 2016
I am interested. This is my email: jokulaja9@gmail.com
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Primegold: 5:09am On Aug 31, 2016
Pls send details to info@primegoldonline.com

Thanks.
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by mizGene(f): 7:16am On Sep 02, 2016
Hi @ Op,

I have a company registered for another purpose though coincidentally one of d owner/directors is a pharmacist. Do you think pcn will accept this or do we need to register specifically as a pharmacy?
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by nnamhenry111: 3:10pm On Apr 10, 2018
Pharmacy Business Plan in Nigeria & Startup Manual
HOW TO START A PHARMACY /PATENT MEDICAL STORE IN NIGERIA

https://www.businessplannig.com.ng/pharmacy-business-plan-in-nigeria/
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by thesicilian: 6:48pm On Apr 10, 2018
Can you send me more details please

siciliancode2@gmail.com
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by ticon4life(m): 10:34pm On Apr 10, 2018
This is nice .
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by eyems: 1:01pm On Jun 19, 2018
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by fiveinfos: 9:38am On Aug 21, 2018
Do you want to start a lucrative and highly profitable Chemist/pharmacy business in nigeria, if Yes here a comprehensive pharmacy business plan in nigeria which you can used for Business Grant Applications, accessing bank loans, pharmacy business Proposal writing. This Pharmacy business plan is well researched and this feasibility study on pharmacy business plan has been recently updated.
http://businessplaninnigeria.com.ng/pharmacy-business-plan/
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by uwadiahercules: 7:17am On May 20, 2019
you can get you comprehensive pharmacy business plan in Nigeria and understand how to do the business
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by joeyreports: 9:12pm On Oct 17, 2019
Get a Pharmacy Business Plan in Nigeria..
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by gistcity(m): 3:48pm On Mar 07, 2020
Updated pharmacy business plan
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by konews: 4:02pm On Aug 13, 2020
our Pharmacy Business Plan In Nigeria will help you build your Pharmacy business more than the way you ever wish
https://businessplanhub.com.ng/pharmacy-business-plan-in-nigeria-latest-edition-feasibility-studies-pdf/
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by Bestnigeriabusi(m): 11:09am On Nov 12, 2020
Re: Starting A New Pharmacy Business by mrniceguyuc5(m): 11:13am On Dec 22, 2020
Do you want to start up a pharmacy, where you can sell different kind of drugs, and also where you can be carrying out test services, and the rest, and you need a business plan to guild you get the best out of it? Call 07030465171 or visit https://www.businessplansamples.com.ng/pharmacy-business-plan-in-nigeria/ for details.

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Heard Of 8 Figure Fiverr Academy / Pls Suggest Any Business One Can Start With #50,000 / Ideas Needed For Fish Recycling System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.