Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,354 members, 7,829,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

The Plight Of Nddc Scholars 2015 In Foreign Lands - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Plight Of Nddc Scholars 2015 In Foreign Lands (351 Views)

RECESSION: Increment FUTO School Fees And The Plight Of The Students / The Plight Of NDDC Scholars 2015 In Foreign Lands / Agbami scholars. Discussion thread. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Plight Of Nddc Scholars 2015 In Foreign Lands by sirmose: 1:59am On Aug 15, 2016
Dear CBN,
I write to inform you of my untold hardship in foreign land due to the inability of NDDC to pay our #NDDCScholars2015 allowances for 8 to 12 months now.
I personally resumed study in January 2016, while some other scholars resumed September 2015, but until now the commission has been unable to pay our upkeep allowances. This is majorly due to your (CBN) unstable and undue bureaucracy in making foreign payments, according to the commission mail.
Recently, precisely two weeks ago, the commission was able to complete the so-called complex and new process, and the payments are now domiciled with you (CBN). Why you have not made these payments is still a surprise.
How long will it take you to pay this money is still a mystery only known to you and your cabal or 'oga at the top'.
It may interest you to know how tough life has been to me (NDDCScholars2015) in foreign land. Maybe my situation will buttress the whole thing.
1. I was lucky initially to be given an accommodation on debt by my school for 23 weeks at £2232.73, hoping that I would pay within three weeks of my arrival in January 2016. In April, the school accommodation team issued me a threat of legal actions if I failed to pay up my debt within two weeks. It took the intervention of my course leader to prevent it.
2. The said accommodation contract expired July 3, 2016, without payment still and no where to pack to as no money to pay for a new accommodation. It took the quick intervention of my former course mate to pay £500 to the school before they agreed to extend my stay by two weeks, which expired on July 17, 2016. Where did I go from there?
3. It took the same mate to gift me #50,000 which yielded £100 due to your outrageous FOREX.
With this, I was able to plead with an agent to rent an apartment for two weeks from July 17, 2016, with the promise to pay the balance of £160 for administrative fee and deposit within a week. Just like many other unfulfilled promises I have made to others, this was not an exception.
4. It is exactly four weeks today Saturday, yet no solution at sight. On Thursday, I received a threat of legal actions if I refused to pay up an accumulated amount of £280 within 5 days. I still cannot see light at the end of the tunnel.
5. How I feed? Yes! I have been on one square meal since May 1, 2016 till date, borrowing money from my foreign and local course mates to survive. I now survive by sympathy from course mates. As I am typing this message, there is only £26 in my hand, nothing elsewhere.
6. All these while, NDDC has been promising that we would get our payment within two weeks since mid April till later May when it changed to soon. How soon it would be, is yet to be seen till now. All messages to NDDC MD were met with absolute silence.
7. In April, I got information that the #500,000 promised us for logistics was paid but I was not paid. When I asked, I was told that those paid submitted their local account details since last year, supposedly those that started September session, while mine is being processed to be paid soon. Yet nothing has come in.
8. As I was not from a wealthy family or political class family, to ensure that I utilized this opportunity to upgrade my academic potential for a better impact and future, I borrowed #1 million in two installments at 20% interest rate from a local money lender since banks refused me a student loan because of CBN policy. Since January till date, the said money has yielded 140% interest and is still counting. Out of this, I spent #500,000 for my Visa, medical insurance, TB test and flight ticket. The balance was able to sustain me till May, with my little savings of about #500,000 including friends cash gifts.
9. To add salt to injury, how could NDDC have paid our tuition fees since April without provision to pay our upkeep allowances together?

If CBN do not see reasons to expedite this payment domiciled with it after getting this message, I will have no option than to sue CBN and NDDC to the court of public opinion for judgement.

I am ready to provide every proof to buttress this message and claim at the appropriate time as I have nothing to protect again. I have been turned to a beggar in foreign land. I have lost focus of my study and developmental programs and targets, as such, the scheme is now almost worthless. I pray not to be deported, because I see another deadly NDA loading in me if the only valuable thing (my study) to me is dubiously denied me through these agencies. I have lost my job with which I catered for my siblings and single mum. I hope to finish my study (MSc) successfully, because anything on the contrary would be disastrous to me, Nigeria and the world in general as I am aware of the global village called the world. Not a threat but a real concern.
This is not a fabricated story as Nigerians are fond of believing lies than the truth (APC is a perfect example). This is my life story from the time I became NDDCSCHOLARS2015.
I do not expect your sympathy but your actions.

Thank you for acting swiftly to save my situation in particular.
Re: The Plight Of Nddc Scholars 2015 In Foreign Lands by fernandoc(m): 6:11am On Aug 15, 2016
Can somebody pleeassee tell me one area in this country that is working?! I want to denounce my citizenship I call on any other country to come and claim me! Jezzuzzz!

(1) (Reply)

Obama Young African Leaders Face To Face Event 2016 / education / Brown Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.