Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone (3228 Views)

Meet Google's Latest Daydream View VR Headset / New BBM Update Comes With Video Calling Feature / BBM Rolls Out Video Calling Feature To Android And Ios (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Horlufemi(m): 1:06am On Aug 17, 2016
Video calling is the next best thing to being with someone in person, but too often it can be a frustrating or complicated experience. You shouldn’t have to worry about whether your call will connect, or if your friend is using the same type of device as you are. It’s no wonder that nearly half of us never make video calls on mobile*.
Today, we’re releasing Google Duo — a simple 1-to-1 video calling app available for Android and iOS. Duo takes the complexity out of video calling, so that you can be together in the moment wherever you are.

Google Duo works across Android and iOS — all you need is a phone number

Simple interface
Duo is simple from start to finish. To get started, all you need is your phone number and you’ll be able to reach people in your phone’s contacts list. No separate account is required, so you can sign up in just a few steps. From there, you can instantly begin a video call with a single tap.

Fast and reliable
We all know how it feels when a call fails to connect or when video gets choppy. We’ve built Duo to be fast and reliable, so that video calls connect quickly and work well even on slower networks. Call quality adjusts to changing network conditions to keep you connected — when bandwidth is limited, Duo will gracefully reduce the resolution to keep the call going smoothly. For video calls on the go, Duo will switch between Wi-Fi and cellular data automatically without dropping your call. You can start your call at home, and continue seamlessly even when you head out the door.

Human design
We designed Duo to feel warm and inviting, focused on just you and the person you’re calling. To make calls feel more like an invitation rather than an interruption, we created a feature in Duo called Knock Knock which lets you see live video of your caller before you answer, giving you a sense of what they’re up to and why they want to chat. Knock Knock makes video calling more spontaneous and welcoming, helping you connect with the person before you even pick up.

Knock Knock in Duo lets you see who’s calling before you pick up

Finally, we built Duo with an emphasis on privacy and security, and all Duo calls are end-to-end encrypted.
Give your friends a wave with Duo! We’re beginning to roll out Duo for Android and iOS today, and it will be live worldwide in the next few days.

Do you guys think it can take on IMO or FaceTime? Drop a comment if you think so

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by okikiosibodu(m): 1:14am On Aug 17, 2016
FTC. OP, thank you for the info. I have been looking for an alternative for skype 'cause I always have to reset my passowrd each time i want to log in (I don't always remember the combination of numbers and alphabets i used for password, and even the status of the alphabet-upper case or lower case). OP, does it require any user ID?
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Dullahi(m): 1:37am On Aug 17, 2016
okikiosibodu:
FTC. OP, thank you for the info. I have been looking for an alternative for skype 'cause I always have to reset my passowrd each time i want to log in (I don't always remember the combination of numbers and alphabets i used for password, and even the status of the alphabet-upper case or lower case). OP, does it require any user ID?

It doesn't. All you need is your phone number and you're good to go.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by okikiosibodu(m): 1:56am On Aug 17, 2016
Dullahi:

It doesn't. All you need is your phone number and you're good to go.
Gracias

1 Like

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Horlufemi(m): 7:40am On Aug 17, 2016
follow this link to download duo for your device

mind you there are different all for different screen (dpi) types.

download dpi screen info to know your screen dpi before you download here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tspmobile.dpiscreeninfo

link to download duo is found here

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/duo-by-google/duo-by-google-1-0-130018012-rc1_rc29-release/

Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Horlufemi(m): 7:53am On Aug 17, 2016
duo is dead simple to use. still waiting on allo
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Sojebrand(m): 2:31pm On Aug 17, 2016
Coming soon on playstore
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2016
It's long overdue. Welcome #Duo

We await #Alo

1 Like

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by aieromon(m): 3:38pm On Aug 17, 2016
Simple and decent app,works pretty well.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Collinz2(m): 4:06pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ok
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Youngpo413: 4:19pm On Aug 17, 2016
Imo rocks.

1 Like

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 17, 2016
Help

I downloaded 160dpi but after the apk installed it didn't give any area where the app could be opened. The apk is found in my device but when u click on it, it doesn't open. What's the problem, I use Droidpad 7c pro. Techno.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by aieromon(m): 7:52pm On Aug 17, 2016
JMAN05:
Help

I downloaded 160dpi but after the apk installed it didn't give any area where the app could be opened. The apk is found in my device but when u click on it, it doesn't open. What's the problem, I use Droidpad 7c pro. Techno.

Was it the 16271 variant you installed? Try reinstalling again.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by martineinstein(m): 12:41am On Aug 18, 2016
ollah1:
It's long overdue. Welcome #Duo

We await #Alo
allo and duo will be total failure;in short DOA.do u think ppl will ditch whatsapp,messenger,skype,imessage,wechat and facetime for allo and duo?...google is really confused.even hangout couldnt compete with the aformentioned messaging apps.google is more confused than ever.they keep churning out new messaging app ear after yeart..if google isnt careful,she could miss AI and bot race
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Nobody: 4:47am On Aug 18, 2016
martineinstein:
allo and duo will be total failure;in short DOA.do u think ppl will ditch whatsapp,messenger,skype,imessage,wechat and facetime for allo and duo?...google is really confused.even hangout couldnt compete with the aformentioned messaging apps.google is more confused than ever.they keep churning out new messaging app ear after yeart..if google isnt careful,she could miss AI and bot race

Lol, you have been spending much time on the Internet reading people's conclusions. Duo and Allo will be baked inside the OS which makes it more advantageous than the 3rd party apps. Skype has always been a problem. Google isn't asking iPhone users to ditch facetime for duo as the latter is cross platform.

The knock knock and weak Internet access features are deal breakers. Google is only bridging the gap between ios and Android users with the Duo. Don't forget that it's secured with end to end encryption.

Regarding AI and bot, you need to check out Google pretty closely. They are in the front line of it. Thy acquired deep mind simply because of that. Get on YouTube and watch some bad ass videos. If you arent scared of Google at this stage of tech then bro, you know nothing about tech.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by martineinstein(m): 8:54am On Aug 18, 2016
ollah1:

Lol, you have been spending much time on the Internet reading people's conclusions. Duo and Allo will be baked inside the OS which makes it more advantageous than the 3rd party apps. Skype has always been a problem. Google isn't asking iPhone users to ditch facetime for duo as the latter is cross platform.

The knock knock and weak Internet access features are deal breakers. Google is only bridging the gap between ios and Android users with the Duo. Don't forget that it's secured with end to end encryption.

Regarding AI and bot, you need to check out Google pretty closely. They are in the front line of it. Thy acquired deep mind simply because of that. Get on YouTube and watch some bad ass videos. If you arent scared of Google at this stage of tech then bro, you know nothing about tech.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Kizyte(m): 10:55am On Aug 18, 2016
Nice app! Coming soon!

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
aieromon:

Was it the 16271 variant you installed? Try reinstalling again.

OK, I ve gotten it now. But I need my friends to join so as to test it out.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by tmanis(m): 1:42am On Aug 19, 2016
it looks simple enough, just hope it can brave the Nigerian slow networks. cos some slows are slowere than other slows

but imagine,
a person is duoing on a crowded lagos road, oblivious to therir surroundings,
then a duo of thugs arrive
on a machine with duo wheels
and snatch the phone out of his hand in less than duo seconds,
they make a sign for him to keep his duo lips shut, while they speed off,
his duo eyes open wide, unable to believe what just happened,
he subconsciously puts his duo hands on his head.
his duo feet rooted to the ground are threatning to give way under him
and the only thing his lips could form,
is the duo-syllabic word;
'MOGBE'

grin

1 Like

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 19, 2016
This app is not verifying Nigerian number yet.

I was notified by Google that the app has gone live. But unfortunately couldn't activate/verify my number after installation.

Can anybody confirm if this app is live in Naija?
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by dasphinx1(m): 9:16am On Aug 19, 2016
Okikiki:

I was notified by Google that the app has gone live. But unfortunately couldn't activate/verify my number after installation.

The app is live, i just installed and activated it on my phone.... i guess what you are experiencing is either a network or something else(i really cant say) try the call me option to activate the app. If i doesnt, just be patient and give it some time, it would surely work, maybe Google's servers is overloaded.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by okikiosibodu(m): 9:17am On Aug 19, 2016
Horlufemi:
follow this link to download duo for your device

mind you there are different all for different screen (dpi) types.

download dpi screen info to know your screen dpi before you download here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tspmobile.dpiscreeninfo

link to download duo is found here

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/duo-by-google/duo-by-google-1-0-130018012-rc1_rc29-release/

Good luck

Please I don't know what option to select for my Blackberry Q10

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 19, 2016
dasphinx1:

The app is live, i just installed and activated it on my phone.... i guess what you are experiencing is either a network or something else(i really cant say) try the call me option to activate the app. If i doesnt, just be patient and give it some time, it would surely work, maybe Google's servers is overloaded.

Thanks for the confirmation.
I'm looking forward to seamless activation/verification.

I've logged a complaint to Google. Hoping it would be resolved soonest.

Many thanks.

Also update house on the efficiency of the app.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Horlufemi(m): 11:09am On Aug 19, 2016
okikiosibodu:

use 320
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Horlufemi(m): 11:16am On Aug 19, 2016
okikiosibodu:

use 320
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by okikiosibodu(m): 11:24am On Aug 19, 2016
Horlufemi:

use 320

Thank you...I figured out my screen size will be close to 320 x240 ( from my knowledge of the nokia E5 I once used. Its screen is a little smaller to Q10's owned. That fone is my best nokia product).
So which 320 will I choose ambg the 3 options? Thanks for replying

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 19, 2016
Okikiki:

is live in Nigeria i downloaded my yday ,
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by guyXander(m): 2:02pm On Aug 19, 2016
I'm using a custom ROM. I downloaded the app, installed it, only for it to say my camera cannot connect to it.
please who has any idea.
I can't register.
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Horlufemi(m): 4:40pm On Aug 19, 2016
okikiosibodu:

Thank you...I figured out my screen size will be close to 320 x240 ( from my knowledge of the nokia E5 I once used. Its screen is a little smaller to Q10's owned. That fone is my best nokia product).
So which 320 will I choose ambg the 3 options? Thanks for replying

Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by Olasco93: 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2016
Well done OP for this information. Please, how is the Call Rate like? Would it be a normal call rate or a different call rate?
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by duwdu: 7:48pm On Aug 19, 2016
Olasco93:
Well done OP for this information. Please, how is the Call Rate like? Would it be a normal call rate or a different call rate?

It uses data, NOT airtime; so, you just need to be online, either via cellular data or Wi-Fi.

Good luck.

P34c3
Re: Meet Google Duo, A Simple 1-to-1 Video Calling App For Everyone by shuggah(m): 9:19am On Aug 20, 2016
pls i wanna testrun my google duo so if u hav registered nd activated pls drop ur number pls.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BEWARE! Don’t Use Your Phone While Charging It – See What Happened To This Lady / From Nigeria With Infinix / Where Can I Buy Phone On Instalment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.