Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,113 members, 7,953,410 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:45 PM

I Want To Learn Animatons - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / I Want To Learn Animatons (1618 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Learn Animatons by SambisaKing: 3:06pm On Aug 17, 2016
Please advise on the basic softwares needed to learn animations and things i need to look out for, where to pay much attentions and the easiest ways to grab the knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 17, 2016
SambisaKing:
Please advise on the basic softwares needed to learn animations and things i need to look out for, where to pay much attentions and the easiest ways to grab the knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

is it the softwware u want or the knowledge pick one
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by SambisaKing: 10:20pm On Aug 17, 2016
The best softwares for it then tip me on the easiest way to go about learning it.

supersystems:

Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 12:50am On Aug 18, 2016
SambisaKing:
The best softwares for it then tip me on the easiest way to go about learning it.

I know my epistle is quite long, so I won't blame you if don't read through it

These are some points I would have loved to know when I just started out...

So I hope you learn a thing or 2

The best way to learn is through a mentor....
If you have money I'll advice some online mentor schools like ianimate or animation mentor (those ones are sticktly 3d though)

Its costly about 3-4 million but its worth it...the mentors there are senior animators in major studios in the us (ilm, pixar, dreamworks)

I said so because many animation schools in nigeria will teach you just software and animation is a lot more than just software, in the end your work comes out substandard or mediocre......
(just like technical drawing is more than just autocad......ever wondered how animation was done before the digital age?(animators drew with pencil on paper on boards similar to the way architects drew on td boards, theirs was called a lightbox)),

If you're patient and you're really interested in learning animation (not just looking for quick cash) and you're not ready to pay for any school (financial reasons probably) then here are some tips...(teaching yourself animation is going to be way slower than getting a mentor, thats why i said if you're patient)

Start with 2d animation.....even if you want to learn 3d animation, I'll advice you start with 2d..
The reason is 3d is very technical... (the choice is totally up to you, many good animators probably didn't learn 2d at all)

In huge studios the processes are broken down into simpler parts whereby animators focus on just animation...in nigeria, where most animators are freelancers and animation intructors (teachers) and engage mostly in commercials and explainer videos there is a good chance you'll do it all yourself
Modelling
Rigging
Animation
Lighting, compositing
Rendering....
Most of these stages are extremely technically, for an extremely creative field..

2d animation lets you get the feel of character animation (I'm assuming thats the field you'll want to venture in) and any other sort of animation and fully understand the principles and applications of these principles before you go into the complex world of 3d.

Concepts like volume, weight, timing, forms and proportions, layouts and composition e.t.c principles like, squash and stretch, overlapping action, exagerration e.t.c are better understood in 2d and applying them in 3d animation will be a whole lot easier...

Besides there is an unspoken rule that those who have a strong 2d background, have a better sense of animating in 3d

.(be rest assured, 2d animation has its own complexities which are a lot different from 3d animation...one of the numerous complexities are, for example, some complex scenes require animating in extreme and complex angles, and in 3point perspective and more of such and these bring up difficult drawing problems....(one reason I respect the japanese))

sorry I didn't answer your first question, but you shouldn't bother 2 much on which software for now, basically any software with playback options and good drawing tools and onionskins.....

(This was the same thing I was told at AWN (animation world network))
Thats what you need to bother yourself with...
Once you have need for more advanced functions, I'll recommend anime studio (now moho studio) and toon boom harmony)

Again this is assuming you take my advice and decide to start with 2d animation.....

You'll need to learn to draw, (not picasso level, but yes...draw)..
You'll have to be able to draw characters from different angles (top, bottom, sides e.t.c)...the reason is, while in 3d, you can easily move the camera about your model in different angles(the computer calculates the position of your
Model in real time)..in 2d you simply cannot achieve this as your characters are flat so you have to draw every angle to give an illusion of depth

(depends on the style of your animation, but even in cutout style animation where character parts are moved about like a paper cutout you'll still have to draw and design the characters in different angles and your scene will involve application of perspective and so on and so forth)

Another reason is there's a good chance you'll design your characters your self as a freelance animator(and also your background art and layout, unless you can find/afford a background/layout artist).....so you'll have to be able to draw and create appealing characters.....be it 3d or 2d... which is one of the animation principles "appeal"

(Another note of importance is drawing is not necessary in 3d animation (at all, but experienced animators many times make concise sketches when planning their scenes and key poses in thumbnails(meaning drawing skills can still be very handy in 3d)

(If you need tips on how to draw( assuming you can't), there are a lot of free art courses online and free youtube videos on drawing what you see, drawing from life, figure drawing, potrait drawing , landscape drawing and even lots of different books on those different subjects
(acquiring them is easy, reading and practicing everyday is the hard part......personal experience....which is where discipline falls into place) just try to keep a sketch book and draw everyday while practicing those materials

(Always try to remember that your goal is not to be a picasso or da vinci, but to be a good animator)

(again, if you have the time and finances, take art classes, having an art teacher mentor you directly is more rewarding and results show faster. Just be careful of the art school or workshop you attend, as some would just be after your money and you'll learn nothing in the end)

modified:
Just checked your profile and saw you're a fine arts graduate....you can ignore the drawing tips and advice, as I believe you'll be very good at drawing and painting

Finally...I'll like to recommend some very helpful books on animation that I feel every animator should have
1) disney animation, the illusion of life by frank thomas and ollie johnston
2) the animators survival kit by Richard williams
3) timing for animation by hallas (this one is very important as the very foundation for good animated scenes are timing and spacing although richard williams talks about it in his book too)

If you have the money I'll advice you go for a mentor, cause thats the fastest and best way to learn quality animation.....self teaching is possible, but is way slower..
Look at the students demoreel at animationmentor.com..
Of course if you going to follow the self taught route....its all good, since in animation nobody cares which school you went to...they just want to see your demoreel (compilation of your best work)
But you must be disciplined to achieve your goals......

Personally I'm no animation guru, im just a student too, "self teaching" but I was able to outline these processes for you to make your learning curve easier and more enjoyable....you'll learn more as you progress and find what works for you...

.I didn't know many of these things and rushed to get a software (high end) and learnt all about software and in the end my work came out mediocre, (at least i thought so)..I've learnt a lot now (a lot to know that I've a long way to go) but ive been pleased with results so far as my learning curve is going smoothly and a lot faster than before with wonderful results.....

I'll advice you join an animation forum,

11secondclub
Animationworldnetwork (awn)...

Since you're self taught, its the closest to having a mentor, as there are many world class animators in those forums with decades of experience, who will help criticize your work (get used to criticism, it'll help you grow) and point out things you could never have known yourself......

Just so you know, feel free if you want to but don't post your work on nairaland looking for likes and encouragement, people will surely say things like "you're talented" or " wow how did you do that, come and teach me" either because they are fascinated by things they don't understand how to do (to the non-animator) or because they want to encourage you...

You will not grow this way, all the animated work I've seen on this forum have one issue or the other, some a lot more that others, but everybody says the same thing "wowww you're talented" or "how'd you do that, come teach me" then a few , "my-work-is -better -than-yours" animators will storm the thread and use "format" to "show-off" their work...

In the end no criticism, no corrections, and sadly no improvement, thats why I advice, when you've started, before coming to nairaland, post your work on those animation forum for criticism and assessment ...I assure you many of the criticisms will be harsh and feel negative.... (even probably be negative)
But you should thank those guys all the same, as most people would rather ignore your work and won't even comment at all....

Try 11 second club...they have a monthly competition of 11 seconds animation and the winner takes home about 20,000 dollars(not sure)
Its not about the money tho...as its next to impossible to win, the animators there are something else!!! But competing will also help you work harder amd improve faster.....
(I plan to make my entry into the competition sometime in december, when I have done some exercises on close up acting and pantomime)

Cheers...

Ohhhh and before I forget. ...try and get a graphics tablet, at least an affordable one....its very difficult to draw, storyboard, or stuff like that without a graphics tab.....I was drawing on a sketchbook and scanning individual frames into the software and began tracing everyframe one by one (just imagine that!!!)..
So it will save u a lot of stress if you can get it....adios and goodluck..

Hope I've inspired a nigerian lasseter ....lol
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 4:48am On Aug 18, 2016
I'll post more on the different styles of animation.......as the diffrent software have different strongpoints..

Frame by frame animation is a style of animation in which sequential images are drawn with slight variations on different frames of a second...

A second has 24 frames...meaning images are drawn on the 24 frames (called animating on ones) or on 12 frames a second (called animating on twos) or on any amount of frames a second depending on what the animator hopes to achieve....
The key point to note is that for every frame, a new drawing is made with a slight variation from the previous frame, to give an illusion of motion...

Now lets talk about software that allow for this type of animation....

Software: majority of 2d animation software allow for frame by frame, the difference is since you're drawing every frame, some software have better drawing and painting tools and capabilities than others

software I'd recommend: toon boom harmony, toon boom studio, tv paint...

.and they all have lots of tutorials online to get you started ( again remember not to rely only on software, but to read about animation amd how to constantly apply the principles in your work...
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 18, 2016
Ttrrffyyghuuh:
I'll post more on the different styles of animation.......as the diffrent software have different strongpoints..

Frame by frame animation is a style of animation in which sequential images are drawn with slight variations on different frames of a second...

A second has 24 frames...meaning images are drawn on the 24 frames (called animating on ones) or on 12 frames a second (called animating on twos) or on any amount of frames a second depending on what the animator hopes to achieve....
The key point to note is that for every frame, a new drawing is made with a slight variation from the previous frame, to give an illusion of motion...

Software: majority of 2d animation software allow for frame by frame, the difference is since you're drawing every frame, some software have better drawing and painting tools and capabilities than others

.and they all have lots of tutorials online to get you started ( again remember not to rely only on software, but to read about animation amd how to constantly apply the principles in your work...

Pardon my french...You phucking good with advice.

Thank you...
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by solepager(m): 7:16am On Aug 19, 2016
supersystems:

i read your post with feelings and a smile. Your post is not long sir for anyone who has animation in mind. Its easy to know you're familiar with tools and know how in the industry even when you called yourself a student.{that made me smile} well that is if you want to compare industry with what they have over there?
I beg if you be student make me be student under you. Lol. I'm reading computer science in school. I just thinking of using it as a solid background when i finally go to the passion i really want. Graphics. {motion}
please indulge me. I never really paid attention to hand drawing when i was a kid. I was pretty good at it though i find myself only good at at drawing seen objects. I wanted to create my own characters out of the blue. I was really discouraged then. That was in the 80's. I did not find myself making drawings out of canvass and putting my work at roadside. Or a family needing my work for a family portrait to hang in the room.

I wanted more. But there was no direction\info then. I decided to enroll in a computer school 4years back just to learn ms word. corel draw was one of the courses.
The feeling was electric. I then understood what passion means. Sir i could not sleep. I just wanted to explore what i have bottled down in me. I started thinking what if i have been persistent back then. What if.

I have never felt so at home just staring at a laptop with corel draw app open. I'm still learning. I KNOW YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ANIME But my point is the encouragement was enough for me to think...if you have a flair for something..you'll know.

The joy just seeing what you've created. Hmmm. Words cant tell.
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by solepager(m): 7:24am On Aug 19, 2016
I still want to go further. Even if its for vfx. Just constraint everywhere. You know my dream.? Having a CGI studio and a solely for graphics here in nigeria. Yeah. Lol. Its gonna change things
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 19, 2016
solepager:
I still want to go further. Even if its for vfx. Just constraint everywhere. You know my dream.? Having a CGI studio and a solely for graphics here in nigeria. Yeah. Lol. Its gonna change things

u have lofty ambitions.Ppl like yu have a tendency to now kknow where to start.I may be of limited advantage to you.I can show u how to get to where u want taken baby steps. Check my signature and pm me... Also mention your state of origin ?
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 19, 2016
solepager:

u have lofty ambitions.Ppl like yu have a tendency to now kknow where to start.I may be of limited advantage to you.I can show u how to get to where u want taken baby steps. Check my signature and pm me... Also mention your state of origin ?...
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by solepager(m): 3:22pm On Aug 21, 2016
Ttrrffyyghuuh:

are you located in lagos sir
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by solepager(m): 3:24pm On Aug 21, 2016
supersystems:

u have lofty ambitions.Ppl like yu have a tendency to now kknow where to start.I may be of limited advantage to you.I can show u how to get to where u want taken baby steps. Check my signature and pm me... Also mention your state of origin ?
i have pm and email you no response
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 22, 2016
solepager:
i have pm and email you no response

cos im sick.ill reply
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by solepager(m): 4:10am On Aug 22, 2016
supersystems:

cos im sick.ill reply
so sorry. Get well soon
Re: I Want To Learn Animatons by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 22, 2016
solepager:
are you located in lagos sir

Yeah

(1) (Reply)

Hotel Logo Needed Urgently / Apple Final Cut Studio 2.1 For A Giveaway Price / How To Pick A Great Photographer For Your Events

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.