Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,795 members, 7,956,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:59 PM

How Should Muslims Celebrate? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Should Muslims Celebrate? (755 Views)

Which Should Muslims Recite Salaat Al-faatih Or Salaat Al-ibraheemiyah 2? / Which Should Muslims Recite Salaat Al-faatih Or Salaat Al-ibraheemiyah 1? / Should Muslims Celebrate December 31st Cross-over Night, Is It Islamic?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Should Muslims Celebrate? by AideeSheks(m): 11:35am On Aug 19, 2016
Asalam alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakaruh. I wanted to pose a question to us all. Even though I've been a Muslim all my life, it's only until recently that I started taking extra efforts to learn about the deen properly. It seems like the more I learn, the more I'm taken aback by certain societal practices I had gotten used to all my life. One of them is how celebrations are done by muslims in this part of the world (especially weddings). From the little I know, most of them appear not to be quite proper according to the standards we're meant to follow as muslims (just an observation for now, not a conclusion).My question is simply "what does a celebration truly entail in the Islamic sense". I would appreciate if those knowledgeable about this reply as I'm also seeking to learn here. Masha Allah.
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2016
What kind of celebration exactly? You didn't specify....

Well basically, in a celebration;

1) No Music or dancing

2) No alcohol taking

3) No free mixing between non-mahram individuals

4) you shouldn't be extravagant

5) the short answer to your auestion is, avoid all that is considered haram within the tenets of Islam of which I've mentioned some...

But you can still be specific.

And Allaah knows best.
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 19, 2016
Shouldn't be a celebration that originated from the kufar - Christmas, Birthday etc
No Pork
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by AideeSheks(m): 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2016
To be specific, an example is how I've observed the walimah nikkah is celebrated. It definitely involves many of the prohibited acts such as dancing, free mixing mentioned by lexiconkabir.
Another thing quite prevalent especially in the south west is often termed "fidau prayer" for a deceased which often leads to extravagant parties being thrown all in the name of celebrating the dead. Most of these I definitely feel aren't proper.
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 19, 2016
AideeSheks:
To be specific, an example is how I've observed the walimah nikkah is celebrated. It definitely involves many of the prohibited acts such as dancing, free mixing mentioned by lexiconkabir.
Another thing quite prevalent especially in the south west is often termed "fidau prayer" for a deceased which often leads to extravagant parties being thrown all in the name of celebrating the dead. Most of these I definitely feel aren't proper.

With regards to walimah nikkah and such, I don't intend on hosting one if I can't stay away from the prohibited things. People will talk but that's the only thing they can do. Marriage shouldn't be built on the foundation of sin.

@ bolded I intended to make a thread about this issue today but was unable to do so. In sha Allah I will post on the topic.
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 19, 2016
AideeSheks:
To be specific, an example is how I've observed the walimah nikkah is celebrated. It definitely involves many of the prohibited acts such as dancing, free mixing mentu oned by lexiconkabir.
Another thing quite prevalent especially in the south west is often termed "fidau prayer" for a deceased which often leads to extravagant parties being thrown all in the name of celebrating the dead. Most off these I definitely feel aren't proper.

On issue of nikkah visit https://islamqa.info/en/854

Fidau prayer is bid'a, but lets wait for the sister to open her thread so you can get the details...

1 Like

Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 19, 2016
lexiconkabir:

On issue of nikkah visit https://islamqa.info/en/854

Fidau prayer is bid'a, but lets wait for the sister to open her thread so you can get the details...

I might take a long time.
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2016
Contact17:

I might take a long time.

Not today?
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 19, 2016
@Aideesheks, the basic thing is fidau is bid'a and people should stay away from it, it has no place in Islam, praying for the deceased should be an everyday thing, no a "after forty days" or "after 3 days" thing...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 19, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Not today?

No. I intended it for today but the Alfas' post took alot of my time and I don't just want to copy paste from islamqa.info/en. I want to cover the issue of staying in a place in order to receive condolences, 40 days prayer, reciting Qur'an at the graveside, cooking and celebrating the dead (from the side of the family affected). So it will take a long time to bring it all together, edit and ensure that its not too long.
Re: How Should Muslims Celebrate? by AideeSheks(m): 10:28am On Aug 20, 2016
Jazakumullahu khairan. Thanks for the clarification, I've learnt . And I'll wait for her detailed write-up on the other issue.

(1) (Reply)

From The Benefits Of Our Weekly Study Of The Noble Quraan Based On The Book 3 / How To Make Your Wife Happy / Struggling To Find Community: An Igbo Convert Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.