Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http (1570 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http by CastroLubeNg: 4:58pm On Aug 19, 2016
Your shift interlock feature, which requires you to step on the brake pedal to prevent unintentionally shifting out of Park, could be malfunctioning. Alternatively, the shift cable or linkage connected to the shift lever could be gummed up with grease or corroded so that it can't operate freely.

If the interlock switch is worn and not fully releasing, or the brake lights don't receive a signal from the brake light switch to illuminate, you won't be able to shift out of Park.

Grease, dirt and moisture can collect in or on the interlock and brake light switches, and on the shift cable and related parts, hampering their operation. When that happens, you're most likely to have problems shifting out of Park when the engine and transmission are cold, such as after the car has sat for hours. After the engine gets warm — and other parts get warmer, as well — the goo might become softer and make it easier to shift out of Park.

Most cars have a means of overriding the shift lock so you can drive the car to a mechanic rather than have it towed: A small door the size of a fingernail is often found on the console next to or close to the shifter itself. After prying this cover off, one can insert a screwdriver or key and press down to release the lock. Vehicles with column shifters may hide the release on top of the steering column or on the bottom. Your owner's manual will help you identify the location on your car.

A transmission that's low on fluid also can be hard to shift out of Park, though that also would likely cause a noticeable degradation in the transmission's overall performance, such as sluggish or harsh shifts.

Another possible cause is that when a car is on even a slight incline, it will put more load on the transmission parking pawl (a bar that engages teeth in a transmission gear to prevent the vehicle from rolling). This is more likely to happen if you didn't engage the parking brake before releasing the brake pedal. The weight of the vehicle rolling onto the parking pawl makes it harder to shift out of Park. To avoid this, engage the parking brake when on an incline before shifting into Park or releasing the brake pedal. That way the parking brake, not the transmission pawl, bears the load.

Lovely weekend. wink shocked

Cheers!

Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/why-is-it-hard-to-shift-my-automatic-transmission-out-of-park-1420684865566/#Joh9iJCFgqSFhl3Y.99

Re: Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http by fortunejum: 10:57am On Aug 20, 2016
l am having this code P0773 ( solenoid E electrical) on my car. What is the solution?

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http by CastroLubeNg: 10:06am On Aug 29, 2016
P0773 TOYOTA - Shift Solenoid 'E' Electrical Malfunction

Hello Fortumeju, trust you are doing great. Sorry I am just replying your question, I have been away for some time.

Okay, for your question, code P0773-Solenoid E Electrical on Your Car

Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shift solenoid 'E' valve
- Shift solenoid 'E' valve harness is open or shorted
- Shift solenoid 'E' valve circuit poor electrical connection

When is the code detected?
The P0773 code is detected when the gear required by the ECM does not match the actual gear when vehicle is driven.

Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission will not shift gears.

P0773 Toyota Description Shift solenoid valve 'E' is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.

Hope this helps

Cheers! smiley

fortunejum:
l am having this code P0773 ( solenoid E electrical) on my car. What is the solution?
Re: Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http by fortunejum: 10:48am On Aug 29, 2016
CastroLubeNg:
P0773 TOYOTA - Shift Solenoid 'E' Electrical Malfunction

Hello Fortumeju, trust you are doing great. Sorry I am just replying your question, I have been away for some time.

Okay, for your question, code P0773-Solenoid E Electrical on Your Car

Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shift solenoid 'E' valve
- Shift solenoid 'E' valve harness is open or shorted
- Shift solenoid 'E' valve circuit poor electrical connection

When is the code detected?
The P0773 code is detected when the gear required by the ECM does not match the actual gear when vehicle is driven.

Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission will not shift gears.

P0773 Toyota Description Shift solenoid valve 'E' is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.

Hope this helps

Cheers! smiley

Thanks, Are you staying in Port Harcourt?

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http by CastroLubeNg: 2:32pm On Aug 29, 2016
You are welcome. I don't stay in PH, but we have our Office there. Thank You.
fortunejum:

Thanks, Are you staying in Port Harcourt?
Re: Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http by fortunejum: 8:52pm On Aug 29, 2016
CastroLubeNg:
You are welcome. I don't stay in PH, but we have our Office there. Thank You.
Kindly drop the address here, I will like to take my car there. Thanks.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Shift My Automatic Transmission Out Of Park? Read More At Http by CastroLubeNg: 6:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
Kindly send your email to castrollubricants.ng@gmail.com for address details. Thanks
fortunejum:

Kindly drop the address here, I will like to take my car there. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

See The Vehicle Made By A Chinese Man Which Even Shocked Policemen (photos) / Silver Lexus ES 330 2005 For Sale. / Mercedes Benz CLA 250

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.