Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Religion: What Tamed Africa?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion: What Tamed Africa?? (1268 Views)

I Believe In God, I Believe In No Religion, What Am I ? / Ifá Religion: What Is Ifá? / If You Reach Heaven And There Is Nothing Like Religion What Will You Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 1:42pm On Aug 20, 2016
I have been observing things ever since, just check the countries on planet Earth you will see that Africa is very backward at the moment and most of the countries in Africa is referred to as "third world countries". WTF? Why is it this way, I discovered that it was because Africa has been blindfolded by "Religion" brought to us by foreigners.
Some will say that we already had religions in Africa before the coming of the whites, but no.
Religion is alien to Africa. What about the gods we serve in Africa? It was for connection to our ancestors who had lived some years ago. It was our way of life, our culture, our livelihood and not religion. We made moral laws and we were living in peace among one another but also had problems just like every other society in the world have.
Like I said religion is in no way related to Africa, all we did was seeking to connect the physical world with the spiritual world.
Unlike Christianity, Islam and other religions of the world that preached of one supreme being, right here in Africa we give respect to different gods with different names. We have gods like Sango, Ogun, Chukwu, Amadioha, Ani or Ali, Ra e.t.c. There was nothing like religion, all we had was a way of life, in Ogba we call it <b>Ome la li</b>.
But then the white men came!! They demonised our culture and brought theirs and also brought what tamed Africa, religion!
The foreigners brought majorly Islam and Christianity. But don't you ask your self this question? Don't we Africans have moral laws that we must need religion to be better people? Our traditional system was great and I say it's the best!
But somehow somehow their plan worked, they succeeded in almost deleting our culture and giving us religion. That was what tamed us, check in Nigeria now, when anything mysterious happen you will hear God (Jehovah) knows best or glory be to Allah. We were limited to asking questions and making findings that will better our life because we were filled with fears from the so called holy books.
But when we still had our culture intact when such things do happen the elders usually convene meetings and usually find solution to the problem.
Maybe some greedy elements in Africa helped the aliens to propagate their lies.
To know that we were played check out what is happening in other continents, you will see when something didn't go in line with the bible or koran, it is the christians and muslims in Africa that raises the alarm first and the foreigners laugh at us saying we are ignorant and backward. Yes? The religion they brought to us made us so.
Africa has been brainwashed and tamed with Religion.
We lived happier in those days our culture was respected.
Every continent and country is unique but the aliens made us copycats, by brainwashing Africa with the holy books they looted us.
Join the campaign and bring back our culture.
Drop your comments!!

&copy Copyright!!! This article is written by me at my blog in my signature. If I put the blog in this post the anti spam bot will ban me.
Please visit the blog in my signature.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 20, 2016
the Vatican is the most religious country, they're way better than us. the problem of Africa is greed and selfishness not the foreigners or religion.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 2:06pm On Aug 20, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
the Vatican is the most religious country, they're way better than us.
the problem of Africa is greed and selfishness not the foreigners or religion.
the fact I'm trying to pass is that it is alien to Africa
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 4kings: 2:09pm On Aug 20, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
the Vatican is the most religious country, they're way better than us.
the problem of Africa is greed and selfishness not the foreigners or religion.
I disagree, Ghana, Nigeria and so on top the list of religious countries in the world.
Go check the stats again.

2 Likes

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Aug 20, 2016
01Mysticdon:

the fact I'm trying to pass is that it is alien to Africa
Religion

noun
(uncountable) The belief in and worship of a supernatural controlling power, especially a personal god or gods.
My brother tends to value religion, but my sister not as much.
(countable) A particular system of faith and worship.
Islam is a major religion in parts of Asia and Africa.
Eckankar is a new religion but Zoroastrianism is an old religion.
(uncountable) The way of life committed to by monks and nuns.
The monk entered religion when he was 20 years of age.
(countable) Any practice to which someone or some group is seriously devoted.
At this point, Star Trek has really become a religion.
(uncountable) Faithfulness to a given principle; conscientiousness. [16th-17th c.]

how can you say the worship of ancestors is not a religion?

I am not understanding
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 2:15pm On Aug 20, 2016
Elliotwiz1:

Religion

noun
(uncountable) The belief in and worship of a supernatural controlling power, especially a personal god or gods.
My brother tends to value religion, but my sister not as much.
(countable) A particular system of faith and worship.
Islam is a major religion in parts of Asia and Africa.
Eckankar is a new religion but Zoroastrianism is an old religion.
(uncountable) The way of life committed to by monks and nuns.
The monk entered religion when he was 20 years of age.
(countable) Any practice to which someone or some group is seriously devoted.
At this point, Star Trek has really become a religion.
(uncountable) Faithfulness to a given principle; conscientiousness. [16th-17th c.]

how can you say the worship of ancestors is not a religion?

I am not understanding
Read the post and the points I raised then you will be understanding grin

1 Like

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 20, 2016
4kings:

I disagree, Ghana, Nigeria and so on top the list of religious countries in the world.
Go check the stats again.
the Vatican is 100% catholic. ruled by the pope. it won't be wrong to say they're the most religious.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by kilo4sure: 2:21pm On Aug 20, 2016
While it is true that we are no longer in tune with our culture, you must understand that some aspects of our culture were also dangerous, and did not help in leading us forward, and l believe you are aware of that. Also if the days of our ancestors were that great, then why didn't we make strides in inventions or at least scientific philosophy like ancient Greece on our own? Our African literature is wonderful, and the ancient Benin kingdom had great work of arts but that was it for many thousand years, we weren't interacting with the world, same thing ancient China was guilty of. True we are not to totally abandon our roots, but do not speak like we would have experienced a form of utopia by now if the missionaries didn't arrive.

1 Like

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 2:32pm On Aug 20, 2016
kilo4sure:
While it is true that we are no longer in tune with our culture, you must understand that some aspects of our culture were also dangerous, and did not help in leading us forward, and l believe you are aware of that. Also if the days of our ancestors were that great, then why didn't we make strides in inventions or at least scientific philosophy like ancient Greece on our own? Our African literature is wonderful, and the ancient Benin kingdom had great work of arts but that was it for many thousand years, we weren't interacting with the world, same thing ancient China was guilty of. True we are not to totally abandon our roots, but do not speak like we would have experienced a form of utopia by now if the missionaries didn't arrive.
like I said we had problems like every part of the world had.
Thanks for appreciating the African artworks and literature.
Our ancestors had their reasons for not wanting to interact with other parts.

1 Like

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 4kings: 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
the Vatican is 100% catholic. ruled by the pope. it won't be wrong to say they're the most religious.

Vatican city is the smallest country in the world. I dont think major business activities are allowed apart from church activities.

So using it, is a bad example.

2 Likes

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2016
kilo4sure:
You're right. A lot of things practiced in our cultures were terrible. . . I think we needed more time to evolve. Its not about religion, even now, the common black man thinks of three basic things in life: food, entertainment, and power/control . . . Africans are naturally intelligent to achieve great things, but its a mentality we have. In this course I took last semester Engineering Law, we see how even our 'educated' ones are not actually educated, we just learn about things that have already been discovered. True education will occur when the curiosity to question things is instilled in us.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2016
Lol, its way beyond religion, it's more about fear. Despite all the chest beaters who claim they have different 'charms', we were scared to death by their guns and advanced weapons. We knew what could happen to us if we trued to revolt. It was in that submissive state, that compassionate religious people gave us new 'hope'. By leaving the comfort of their homes in Europe to evangelize, by building schools, providing clean water, etc. Our ancestors saw these as products of the white man's religion. . . products of the white man's way of life. For once, we started to think that we could reach the stage they had gotten to if we followed the white man's way of life. I just have one problem with it. . . it was based on fear also, not fear of any man, but fear of a 'god'. It would've been better, if they had made us change our evil practices not because of religion, but because of the fact that they were irrational. How? By showing us the positive implications of stopping those things ONLY, instead of telling us 'because god doesn't like it'. Idk if you get my point, I don't feel like I passed it across well enough

1 Like

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 2:49pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:
Lol, its way beyond religion, it's more about fear. Despite all the chest beaters who claim they have different 'charms', we were scared to death by their guns and advanced weapons. We knew what could happen to us if we trued to revolt. It was in that submissive state, that compassionate religious people gave us new 'hope'. By leaving the comfort of their homes in Europe to evangelize, by building schools, providing clean water, etc. Our ancestors saw these as products of the white man's religion. . . products of the white man's way of life. For once, we started to think that we could reach the stage they had gotten to if we followed the white man's way of life. I just have one problem with it. . . it was based on fear also, not fear of any man, but fear of a 'god'. It would've been better, if they had made us change our evil practices not because of religion, but because of the fact that they were irrational. How? By showing us the positive implications of stopping those things ONLY, instead of telling us 'because god doesn't like it'. Idk if you get my point, I don't feel like I passed it across well enough
exactly
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
kilo4sure:

Words of wisdom man, words of wisdom. People usually forget the bad parts of an era once they're faced with an uncomfortable era. They remnisce about the good old days; forgetting

1) Diseases

2) High Mortality rate

3) Highly superstitous minds. My grand mother believe the earth is held in the palms of someone. And she's a bit educated embarassed

4) impossible beliefs: I'm yoruba so I can fairly speak a bit about our gods. Ogun is the god of iron. Controls the machete, the bullets. You must sacrifice to him if you're going to war. Sango is the god of lightning; a vengeful character indeed. He also doubles as the God of war and any village that wants to fight must first seek his blessing. Osun; ahh, the riverine Godness. Sleek and trim, sexy as a fish; the "peaceful" part of the water. She grants wishes of children and wealth. Saponna is also riverine but less sexy and more deadly. Kind of like a piranhha. Anyone who dies by river must be buried by her adherents. Esu- the bad guy; is not actually that bad. He is a messenger. Kind of like Apollo. He carries errand and delivers them; some good, others bad.

And then we have Ifa. The oracle. The most civillised of them all. The panegryics of ifa are soothing, contain words of advice and generally makes you humbled by the wisdoms it potrays. But even ifa has some bumbling parts in it; even ifa claims to divine the future and acts as a seer. Shame.

With all the gods I listed above, Only Ifa can be applied in the revival of our traditional religion. Others are just plain old superstition.

Besides; reviving traditional religion is still looked upon as being close to the devil. Many religious bodies are against it; and as you know; the religious control Nigeria.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 3:13pm On Aug 20, 2016
SirWere:

Words of wisdom man, words of wisdom. People usually forget the bad parts of an era once they're faced with an uncomfortable era. They remnisce about the good old days; forgetting

1) Diseases

2) High Mortality rate

3) Highly superstitous minds. My grand mother believe the earth is held in the palms of someone. And she's a bit educated embarassed

4) impossible beliefs: I'm yoruba so I can fairly speak a bit about our gods. Ogun is the god of iron. Controls the machete, the bullets. You must sacrifice to him if you're going to war. Sango is the god of lightning; a vengeful character indeed. He also doubles as the God of war and any village that wants to fight must first seek his blessing. Osun; ahh, the riverine Godness. Sleek and trim, sexy as a fish; the "peaceful" part of the water. She grants wishes of children and wealth. Saponna is also riverine but less sexy and more deadly. Kind of like a piranhha. Anyone who dies by river must be buried by her adherents. Esu- the bad guy; is not actually that bad. He is a messenger. Kind of like Apollo. He carries errand and delivers them; some good, others bad.

And then we have Ifa. The oracle. The most civillised of them all. The panegryics of ifa are soothing, contain words of advice and generally makes you humbled by the wisdoms it potrays. But even ifa has some bumbling parts in it; even ifa claims to divine the future and acts as a seer. Shame.

With all the gods I listed above, Only Ifa can be applied in the revival of our traditional religion. Others are just plain old superstition.

Besides; reviving traditional religion is still looked upon as being close to the devil. Many religious bodies are against it; and as you know; the religious control Nigeria.
like I said, our culture has been demonised

1 Like

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by peacesamuel94(m): 6:48pm On Aug 20, 2016
why the rant against religion, sorry to say sir, but your observation is very shallow, if truly religion is a taming factor, then why has it not tamed Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Georgia etc. Honestly Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria. Even in our ignorance we blame, and criticize anything and everyone. we as Nigerians should take responsiblity and stop this blame game. if care is not taken someone might wake up one day and blame education for Nigeria's problems.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 8:49pm On Aug 20, 2016
peacesamuel94:
why the rant against religion, sorry to say sir, but your observation is very shallow, if truly religion is a taming factor, then why has it not tamed Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Georgia etc. Honestly Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria. Even in our ignorance we blame, and criticize anything and everyone. we as Nigerians should take responsiblity and stop this blame game. if care is not taken someone might wake up one day and blame education for Nigeria's problems.
That's your opinion. Match facts with reality. Read my post carefully before you comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

You're right. A lot of things practiced in our cultures were terrible. . . I think we needed more time to evolve. Its not about religion, even now, the common black man thinks of three basic things in life: food, entertainment, and power/control . . . Africans are naturally intelligent to achieve great things, but its a mentality we have. In this course I took last semester Engineering Law, we see how even our 'educated' ones are not actually educated, we just learn about things that have already been discovered. True education will occur when the curiosity to question things is instilled in us.
our religion would have evolved just the same way European Christianity evolved from savagery**the problem is this religion are not ours and therefore do not belong to us

1 Like

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by peacesamuel94(m): 9:28pm On Aug 20, 2016
01Mysticdon:

That's your opinion. Match facts with reality. Read my post carefully before you comment.

No it is not an assumption neither is it my opinion, it is reality. Countries like Thailand, Italy, Georgia that are known to be very religious, are also very prosperous when you compare them to Nigeria.
and in addressing your post, the belief in a God or gods is called religion, before Christianity or Islam came, we were religious. what the Europeans introduced to us was not religion but Christianity as well as other doctrines.
This goes to buttress the fact that the success of a nation is not determined by the religion it practices but the willingness of the citizens to takes responsibility in order for them to make the country a better place.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
peacesamuel94:

No it is not an assumption neither is it my opinion, it is reality. Countries like Thailand, Italy, Georgia that are known to be very religious, are also very prosperous when you compare them to Nigeria.
and in addressing your post, the belief in a God or gods is called religion, before Christianity or Islam came, we were religious. what the Europeans introduced to us was not religion but Christianity as well as other doctrines.
This goes to buttress the fact that the success of a nation is not determined by the religion it practices but the willingness of the citizens to takes responsibility in order for them to make the country a better place.
read the content wella abeg
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Uyi168: 11:26pm On Aug 20, 2016
I believe the problem with nigeria is d fact that these two religion(islam nd xtianity)are totally alien to us..
many are stil stuck in-between..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by EyeHateGod: 11:34pm On Aug 20, 2016
Uyi168:
I believe the problem with nigeria is d fact that these two religion(islam nd xtianity)are totally alien to us..
Alien to us?? And we have more than 10million churches in Nigeria? Do U even understand what U just said?
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Uyi168: 11:38pm On Aug 20, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Alien to us?? And we have more than 10million churches in Nigeria? Do U even understand what U just said?
U probably didnt get my point..
islam nd xtianity was never our thing 4rm d beginning...
ofcourse these days,we knw churches like business centres hence their numbers..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by kilo4sure: 9:13am On Aug 21, 2016
stephenmorris:
our religion would have evolved just the same way European Christianity evolved from savagery**the problem is this religion are not ours and therefore do not belong to us
Christianity did not evolve from so called savagery. It was never savage. Go read about the plague in the 3rd century that ravaged Rome, it was the Christians who took in those afflicted even at the risk of their own lives. Christians abolished the gladiator games which was enjoyed by the Romans the way we enjoy football today. Definitely when Christianity became a state religion and when the barbarians converted and sometimes only had the fear of hell as a motive in their dedication to the pope, Christianity was then exploited. They also brought in their pagan beliefs and live style into it. The bible was also not read by all in those days but only the clergy men.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:48am On Aug 21, 2016
kilo4sure:

Christianity did not evolve from so called savagery. It was never savage. Go read about the plague in the 3rd century that ravaged Rome, it was the Christians who took in those afflicted even at the risk of their own lives. Christians abolished the gladiator games which was enjoyed by the Romans the way we enjoy football today. Definitely when Christianity became a state religion and when the barbarians converted and sometimes only had the fear of hell as a motive in their dedication to the pope, Christianity was then exploited. They also brought in their pagan beliefs and live style into it. The bible was also not read by all in those days but only the clergy men.
Read the inquisition and you will agreed that christianity evolved. Type the inquisition in google.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by kilo4sure: 2:21pm On Aug 21, 2016
01Mysticdon:

Read the inquisition and you will agreed that christianity evolved. Type the inquisition in google.
Read my post again, l said Christianity did not evolve from savagery, but when the Romans used it for politics, it was then exploited from that time on. Prior to it becoming a state religion it was never known for any form of savagery, hence you can't say it evolved from savagery. If you had read the latter part of the post you quoted you would have understood this point.
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by 01Mysticdon(m): 2:37pm On Aug 21, 2016
kilo4sure:

Read my post again, l said Christianity did not evolve from savagery, but when the Romans used it for politics, it was then exploited from that time on. Prior to it becoming a state religion it was never known for any form of savagery, hence you can't say it evolved from savagery. If you had read the latter part of the post you quoted you would have understood this point.
the inquisition is a clear proof
Re: Religion: What Tamed Africa?? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 21, 2016
Uyi168:
Christianity originated in Israel but has diffused to almost every country today... geographically isreal is not even in Europe so your assumption that Christianity is European is wrong.
the Australians and Americans , north and south also got influenced by Christianity. why is our case different from the rest of the world ?
because we keep trying to find solutions to the wrong problems...
like you are doing now.

(1) (Reply)

Navratri Puja Vidhi For 9 Days, Vrat Vidhi For 9 Nights Durga Maa Mantra / Dynamics Of Soul Winning / Yoruba Spelling Of God Is?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.