Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,163 members, 7,821,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers (28175 Views)

Top Black CEOs At Global Corporations And Lessons From Their Careers / 6 Careers That Will Be Extinct In 10 Years / 7 Jobs You Can Do Without A University Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 21, 2016
A job is something one does in earn gain or gain experience.A career is a long term pursuit of life long ambition.From these definitions is it safe to say that job is a sprint while career is a marathon.

Let us look us look at some of the jobs one should not take for a career.My criteria for choosing these jobs are:

-Job security
-Career growth
-Ability to transfer the skills acquired on these jobs to other sectors.

(1) BANKING:Years ago this profession would not have made this list,sadly things have changed.

Most bankers in Nigeria are contract staff,there is no promotion for a contract staff in the banking sector no matter how hard you work or dedicated you are to your job,even the core staff get promoted after 4/5 year at one level.Secondly,you can be asked to go anytime so any day you log in you work for that day bearing in mind that your sign on can be disabled anytime.

Ever wondered why most bankers move from one bank to the other?well apart from the myth of getting promotion faster,an average banker does not have special skills(especially technical skills)which could be transferred to other sectors.

Lastly,in banking the higher you climb(for the core staff) the less relevant you become.This is why most banks fire mid management staff and recruit someone younger and less expensive.

(2) TEACHING(PRIVATE SCHOOLS):This is a job one could do immediately after NYSC to keep 'body and soul' together.Salaries of some private schools are lower than the NYSC allowee.Some may argue that some private schools pay good salary.That is true,but they are few and far between.

Some schools do not have corporate structure let alone employment letter.The proprietor may even sack you verbally undecidedOne can also 'resign' by telling the owner through phone.

CUSTOMER CARE(NETWORK PROVIDERS).Tales of how these customer care staff are treated by their employers abound,they are poorly paid.There is also an unconfirmed story I heard that the health implications of answering calls regularly are enormous.

Disclaimer: This piece was not written to discourage people that are doing the aforementioned jobs nor those who intend to start.However,if you want to quit it is better you have another job before quitting.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by bentlywills(m): 12:16am On Aug 22, 2016
Let the job come 1st, we never see job u dy talk about making careers

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Adesiji77: 10:01am On Aug 22, 2016
Interesting topic.

Job security is fast becoming a myth in view of tougher environment for businesses.

On banking, my take is that one should start planning retirement from the first date of resumption.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Bukkiminat(f): 10:47am On Aug 22, 2016
With the current situation in Nigeria..

People don't mind,as long as it brings food to their table

6 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by veekid(m): 6:52am On Aug 23, 2016
Teaching should be Number one
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by edlion57(m): 6:52am On Aug 23, 2016
Y
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Goldenheart(m): 6:53am On Aug 23, 2016
smiley you ve spoken
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Histrings08(m): 6:53am On Aug 23, 2016
I thot you'll not add d disclaimer, I for curse u. #Just kidding... Na condition make crayfish bend, people will still go to church to share testimony if given any of this job..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by bueze046(m): 6:55am On Aug 23, 2016
4..Security Man/Bouncer

5.Okadaman

6.and Obviously Hawking.

All these, you regret your life once you're above 50

7 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by samnificent(m): 6:55am On Aug 23, 2016
In this "good" times You still dey select Career and job? grin you must be a comedian

2 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by bueze046(m): 6:55am On Aug 23, 2016
Ok
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by kceewhyte(m): 6:55am On Aug 23, 2016
Lol grin
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by donbenedict(m): 6:56am On Aug 23, 2016
3 jobs u should never make careers in Nigeria should have been d correct Topic.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by WebSurfer(m): 6:56am On Aug 23, 2016
Ashawoo

3 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by ojun50(m): 6:58am On Aug 23, 2016
Op has long i can bills nd feed family build house buys cars nd take care of my self all dis one u are saying is story

3 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by nonjebose(m): 6:58am On Aug 23, 2016
You try, Op

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by jazinogold(m): 6:58am On Aug 23, 2016
Musicians nkor?

after one track or one album...we no go hear of dem again!

e.g Brymo

4 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by ChappyChase: 7:00am On Aug 23, 2016
Even if I dey craze, I no go do number 2!
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 23, 2016
bentlywills:

very funny but true
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by lonelydora: 7:01am On Aug 23, 2016
I don't do anything networking. There's one in town now they call MMM. Whatever that means. Everyone is disturbing me about it. You keep hearing someone made 15million somewhere, and you will never get to such a level even if you network all your villagers.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by TeamSimple(m): 7:06am On Aug 23, 2016
donbenedict:
3 jobs u should never make careers in Nigeria should have been d correct Topic.
Seconded
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by missvera(f): 7:07am On Aug 23, 2016
[quote author=bentlywills post=48690636]Let the job come 1st, we never see job u dy talk about making careers
grin cheesy I tire ooo.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Zakkyoz: 7:08am On Aug 23, 2016
private school should be number one. no matter how hardworking you could, you can be sacked if an aggressive parent table your case before proprietor.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Dyt(f): 7:09am On Aug 23, 2016
My opinion

Teaching is not for everyone
Not for the money*yes we work in naija cos of the pay*
They are builders
They brought you to where you are today
Only if I could turn back the hands of time, I would embrace teaching.

I am a full timer customer service person
I do Marketing and CRM
I must tell you its an interesting combination when you have got confidence* forget the crazy target, you stay or leave*

Not all customer care works in telecoms
Offices
Front desk
CRM

Customer service is broad
You only pick the one that suits you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 23, 2016
you cant be working in commerzbank in germany and be spitting this thrash op....banking is a good profession...not talking about contract staffs here in nigeria.go outside the country and see.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by cruz419(m): 7:09am On Aug 23, 2016
bentlywills:

Broda u just spoke my mind let it come first b4 u start weighing ur options 4 month down d line still looking for some thing to keep busy even d teaching Job self u go waka, b4 u see vacancy

1 Like

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:09am On Aug 23, 2016
I can relate to The Private school teaching

Pls nd pls Never make a mistake of been too comfortable teaching...just be seeing it as a way to prepare yourself

No matter the pay, Teaching in private schools suck! They suck like an olosho n a customer

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by DozieInc(m): 7:12am On Aug 23, 2016
*Most times career in banking is very narrow.
*State schools sure pass.
*Customer care...anytime you stop caring for the right people.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 23, 2016
Interesting....
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by abouzaid: 7:14am On Aug 23, 2016
private school teaching is glorified slavery regardless of your pay,it's temporary gig to plan your life if you didn't do it while in service.

1 Like

Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Jarus(m): 7:15am On Aug 23, 2016
Principe:
A job is something one does in earn gain or gain experience.A career is a long term pursuit of life long ambition.From these definitions is it safe to say that job is a sprint while career is a marathon.

Let us look us look at some of the jobs one should not take for a career.My criteria for choosing these jobs are:

-Job security
-Career growth
-Ability to transfer the skills acquired on these jobs to other sectors.

(1) BANKING:Years ago this profession would not have made this list,sadly things have changed.

Most bankers in Nigeria are contract staff,there is no promotion for a contract staff in the banking sector no matter how hard you work or dedicated you are to your job,even the core staff get promoted after 4/5 year at one level.Secondly,you can be asked to go anytime so any day you log in you work for that day bearing in mind that your sign on can be disabled anytime.

Ever wondered why most bankers move from one bank to the other?well apart from the myth of getting promotion faster,an average banker does not have special skills(especially technical skills)which could be transferred to other sectors.

Lastly,in banking the higher you climb(for the core staff) the less relevant you become.This is why most banks fire mid management staff and recruit someone younger and less expensive.

(2) TEACHING(PRIVATE SCHOOLS):This is a job one could do immediately after NYSC to keep 'body and soul' together.Salaries of some private schools are lower than the NYSC allowee.Some may argue that some private schools pay good salary.That is true,but they are few and far between.

Some schools do not have corporate structure let alone employment letter.The proprietor may even sack you verbally undecidedOne can also 'resign' by telling the owner through phone.

CUSTOMER CARE(NETWORK PROVIDERS).Tales of how these customer care staff are treated by their employers abound,they are poorly paid.There is also an unconfirmed story I heard that the health implications of answering calls regularly are enormous.

Disclaimer: This piece was not written to discourage people that are doing the aforementioned jobs nor those who intend to start.However,if you want to quit it is better you have another job before quitting.
Actually the three are the largest absorber of formal Labour.
Re: 3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers by Firerising(m): 7:15am On Aug 23, 2016
Adesiji77:
Interesting topic.

Job security is fast becoming a myth in view of tougher environment for businesses.

On banking, my take is that one should start planning retirement from the first date of resumption.

u don't plan retiring in the banking sector instead fro the very first day u plan resignation...and in Nigeria job security is a myth because the way government is sacking ppl now for coming late to work...odikwa egwu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? / Mikano Retrenches Workers It Once Recalled / 50 Directors Fail Perm Secs’ Exam, 41 Make Final List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.