Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,451 members, 7,770,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:24 AM

An Open Letter To The President Of Nigeria And The Director General Of NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / An Open Letter To The President Of Nigeria And The Director General Of NYSC (795 Views)

Kazaure & Corpers Condole With Family Of Yusuf Bomoi, Late NYSC Director-General / Yusuf Bomoi Is Dead (Ex NYSC Director-General) / Open Letter To The Director General NYSC By A Stream 2 Prospective Corp Member. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The President Of Nigeria And The Director General Of NYSC by donfemo(m): 10:18pm On Aug 22, 2016
Dear Sirs,

I hope this meet you well and I trust you are able to read this despite to your busy schedule. I will first like to commend Gen Yakubu Gowon rtd. Arguably one of the most thoughtful and great person to have ruled the federal republic of Nigeria under his administration he introduced the National youth service scheme. General Gowon had the mind of One Nigeria that’s why he introduced the NYSC which was to ensure that graduates travel to other parts of the country and learn new cultures while serving their father land. This has been a very successful scheme and I have witness people get married to persons from other tribes and also witness people fall in love with cities where they served and decide to establish themselves and remain there. As a matter of fact other African countries also have followed suit in introducing a scheme like the NYSC in their country, this shows how much the NYSC idea is great.

However, decades after, the NYSC is nothing to write home about and its primary purpose is lost. Its primary purpose is to promote unity and have graduates travel to different part of the country and learn new cultures but this is not the case. Due to corruption, most NYSC posting are being worked which means as an intending core member I get to choose where I will serve and this started due to the instability in the country. No westerner or southerner wants to send his child to the core north due to the violence there. I will like to say I grew up in the north and most times when I find myself in the south I try to preach about how great the northern Nigeria is, but the news is all they believe. My question is why are we still wasting so much money on a great scheme when the primary purpose has been defeated. Each core member takes home NGN19,800 monthly but when I discovered what is spent on each core member from the day he/she arrives at the camp till the day he/she passes out, it is alarming.

Currently we keep introducing new schemes to empower youths, during the last administration led by President Goodluck Jonathan, it was YOUWIN, now we have NPOWER. Why don’t we channel these resources to training the NYSC members to become entrepreneurs for 6months and after training, they are given grants and monitored for another 6 months to ensure they become productive. This will help the country greatly by raising young entrepreneurs and improving our small scale medium enterprise rather than have youths teach pupils in schools against their will. I hope you will be able to reason with me and give this a thought.

Thank you for your time.

Olorunfemi

(1) (Reply)

Should I Leave 100K+ Job For NYSC? / NYSC Batch B 2015 Passing Out Today, Say A Shout Out To Your Pals / Another First Class Graduate NYSC Corp Member Dies In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.