Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) (29193 Views)

Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / I Am Accountable To Only One KING - Ooni Of Ife Speaks (video) / Igala Isn't A Yoruba Language But Classified As Yoruboid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by demzey(m): 3:30pm On Aug 23, 2016
Phonefanatic:
I'm working on Spanish language

Same here, although mi escribe espanyol jus a little
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 23, 2016
nkemdi89:

Even if he is mixed race, most of us brought up in Nigeria can't speak our dialect, it's a challenge , especially those brought up in urban areas. He got the attention because of his colour.

Colour? Come to the UK and see numerous mixed race kids speaking Shona, Edo or Yoruba. It's no biggie abeg.
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2016
Rossikki:
How is this news? Millions of Nigerians speak English without having visited England. OP, stop feeling inferior to white people. The same God who made you made them.
Lol, English is our official language. Does Nigeria have as much world influence as those countries?
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by oladipo322(m): 4:58pm On Aug 23, 2016
meet me too a Nigerian who has nt been to China but speaks Chinese fluently.
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by francis247(m): 5:33pm On Aug 23, 2016
Rossikki:
How is this news? Millions of Nigerians speak English without having visited England. OP, stop feeling inferior to white people. The same God who made you made them.
Seriously? Can you hear yourself? How many countries have Edo as official language? How many platforms are available online and offline for studying Edo?

1 Like

Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by AreaFada2: 5:45pm On Aug 23, 2016
abbey621:
Is there anything like Edo language?

Actually the language of Benin people is Edo.

Originally Edo is both language & people. Oba Ewuare replaced Ile-Ibinu with Edo, after 1440 AD. Because (1) he perceived Ile-Ibinu slightly derogatory (2) Ile-Ibinu was a word said by Oranmiyan, a man who grew up outside Igodomigodo as Benin/was called before 1169AD. (3) To honour his loyal servant called Edo, who saved him from certain death as a prince, but Edo lost his life in the process.

The use of Edo to describe Benin, Esan, Afemai, Ika, and others is a very recent thing of political expediency. Precisely when Edo State was created in 1991.

Oba Eweka had to give up Benin traditional rights over Edo Central, Edo North, parts of Delta & parts of Eastern Yorubaland, as part of the conditions for the British to restore Benin monarchy in 1914.

With that, it was felt that calling it "Benin State" would tend to alienate other tribes. Though that would have been the obvious thing since Bendel was first coined from "Benin Province & Delta Province". Because Delta is tribe neutral as a name, it became Delta State naturally. In the 1980s, my Esan, Afemai/Owan & Ika friends would have sharply corrected you if you called them Edo.

Everything is politics in 9ja.

1 Like

Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by ojnnaco(m): 6:22pm On Aug 23, 2016
Hustlerlomo:
Benin girls hand work. grin grin grin grin
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by bmos(m): 6:47pm On Aug 23, 2016
bulldoza:
na so grin

He was born with the language. He is an Esan sha. Who does he speaks with?
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by abbey621(m): 7:31pm On Aug 23, 2016
AreaFada2:

Actually the language of Benin people is Edo.

Originally Edo is both language & people. Oba Ewuare replaced Ile-Ibinu with Edo, after 1440 AD. Because (1) he perceived Ile-Ibinu slightly derogatory (2) Ile-Ibinu was a word said by Oranmiyan, a man who grew up outside Igodomigodo as Benin/was called before 1169AD. (3) To honour his loyal servant called Edo, who saved him from certain death as a prince, but Edo lost his life in the process.

The use of Edo to describe Benin, Esan, Afemai, Ika, and others is a very recent thing of political expediency. Precisely when Edo State was created in 1991.

Oba Eweka had to give up Benin traditional rights over Edo Central, Edo North, parts of Delta & parts of Eastern Yorubaland, as part of the conditions for the British to restore Benin monarchy in 1914.

With that, it was felt that calling it "Benin State" would tend to alienate other tribes. Though that would have been the obvious thing since Bendel was first coined from "Benin Province & Delta Province". Because Delta is tribe neutral as a name, it became Delta State naturally. In the 1980s, my Esan, Afemai/Owan & Ika friends would have sharply corrected you if you called them Edo.

Everything is politics in 9ja.

Excellent historical perspective but I still maintain there's no such thing as Edo language perhaps I need to clarify my statement to sound more politically correct. There is no such thing as true Edo language! What most people speak is Bini(60%) and the others about 27 different dialect. Coming from a mother who came from Ora, I can tell you her dialect is definitely different from the more acceptable or known Bini language.
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by Abdstrakt(m): 7:40pm On Aug 23, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:
So?

I also speak fluent english and i have never been to U.K grin

Oga English is your country's lingual franca, and on top of that dem still teach you for school.

Now, tell me if the Benin language is the official language of his country and if they taught him the language in school.
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by AreaFada2: 8:05pm On Aug 23, 2016
abbey621:

Excellent historical perspective but I still maintain there's no such thing as Edo language perhaps I need to clarify my statement to sound more politically correct. There is no such thing as true Edo language! What most people speak is Bini(60%) and the others about 27 different dialect. Coming from a mother who came from Ora, I can tell you her dialect is definitely different from the more acceptable or known Bini language.

You still do not get it. A language called bini does not exist. Sadly even Benin people make that mistake. Benin people sadly copy what they read in newspapers, written mostly by people who do not really know much about Benin.

The Oba & Benin Traditional Council have made it clear that the modern form of the name is Benin, NOT Bini. But we rather listen to announcements made at Buckingham Palace in London than take note of local announcements.

A Benin person is Ovbiedo & a speaker of local language is Unu n'ozedo.
What I am telling you is Edo is both the tribe & language. You would not ask any Esan or Ora person before 1991 if he was Ovbiedo.

The generalisation of all people within what is now Edo State as Edo is a new thing.

If you check your philology text books, those other languages you mentioned in Ora PLUS Urhobo/Okpe, Isoko, Degema (in Rivers State) & some other minor languages in Southern Nigeria that you may never have heard of before, are called Edoid languages. Whether they sound similar to Benin language or not, depend on the length of time of separation from the parent language.

In Benin you ask a person if he's Ovbiedo (is he Edo person?) & if he speaks Edo. That has been the case for centuries. It is the creation of Edo State where people now try, out of political expediency, to generalise other languages as Edo. Because most languages in Edo State come from same parent Edo language spoken around Benin City, it is also in theory correct to call them Edo languages.

I know it is very hard for people to accept that what they have known (or thought) to be correct lifelong is in fact inaccurate. But if you do not actively seek knowledge, you don't get it.

1 Like

Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by abbey621(m): 8:33pm On Aug 23, 2016
AreaFada2:

You still do not get it. A language called bini does not exist. Sadly even Benin people make that mistake. Benin people sadly copy what the read in newspapers, written mostly by people who do not really much about Benin.

The Oba & Benin Traditional Council have made it clear that the modern form of the name is Benin, NOT Bini. But we rather listen to announcements made at Buckingham Palace in London than take not of local announcements.

A Benin person is Ovbiedo & a speaker of local language is Unu n'ozedo.
What I am telling you is Edo is both the tribe & language. You would not ask any Esan or Ora person before 1991 if he was Ovbiedo.

The generalisation of all people within what is now Edo State as Edo is a new thing.

If you check your philology text books, those other languages you mentioned in Ora PLUS Urhobo/Okpe, Isoko, Degema (in Rivers State) & some other minor languages in Southern Nigeria that you may never have heard of before, are called Edoid languages. Whether they sound similar to Benin language or not, depend on the lenght of time of seperation from the parent language.

In Benin you ask a person if he's Ovbiedo are you Edo person & if he speaks Edo. That has been the case for centuries. It is the creation of Edo State where people now try to, out of political expediency, to generalise other languages as Edo. Because most languages in Edo State come from same parent Edo language spoken around Benin City, it is also in theory correct to call them Edo languages.

I know it is very hard for people to accept that what they have known (or thought) to be correct lifelong is in fact inaccurate. But if you do not actively seek knowledge, you don't get it.

Interesting! I find myself agreeing 50% of what you are saying and disagreeing with the other 50%. All in all, very educative!
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 23, 2016
Abdstrakt:

Oga English is your country's lingual franca, and on top of that dem still teach you for school.

Now, tell me if the Benin language is the official language of his country and if they taught him the language in school.
U would knw sacarsm if it hit u right in d face
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 24, 2016
Rossikki:

Baba Rossikki lighten up, it's not that serious.
İt's all in good fun, i promise.
Re: This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) by Kexorcist(m): 9:25am On Aug 24, 2016
Luukasz:
What's so special if a white man speaks our language after all we also speak English,French et al without been in those countries.Africans and slave mentality.
Nairaland mods nawa for una thing wey suppose make frontpage no go make but nonsensical things u go see am for FP..mtcheew

There are very few resources for non-Africans to learn African languages. Most whites cannot even name five African languages. If they can name even 2, they likely name Swahili and Zulu. There are thousands of African languages, and most are completely unknown outside their lands and tribes, even by other Africans.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? / Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.