Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

African Traditional Women To Women Marriages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Traditional Women To Women Marriages (1176 Views)

Shadrach Erebulu, Adou: "I Don’t Allow Women To Wear Trousers In My Palace" / 6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women / Oro: Curfew To Hold Tomorrow In Ikorodu,lagos... Women To Stay Indoor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 23, 2016
There is a specific form of same sex marriage, commonly known as woman marriage that has been practiced in Africa since before the advent of colonialism. Woman marriage is where a woman marries another woman. It is important to note that woman marriage in this context is not the same as lesbian marriage. The nature of the relationship between the women married to each other in these traditional woman marriage arrangements is legal and social but not sexual. Thus, while woman marriage is same sex marriage, it is not lesbian marriage because there is typically no sexual attraction and/or involvement between female husbands and their wives. A female husband is a woman who is legally and socially married to another woman. Kevane (2004) estimates that approximately 5–10 percent of the women in Africa are involved in woman-to-woman marriages. Traditionally, woman marriage has served as an avenue through which women exercise social influence and patronage in societies where inheritance and succession pass through the male line. In such societies, woman marriage makes it possible for women to gain social status as the head of the household.

In some societies, such as the Nandi people of Western Kenya, women who are older (beyond child-bearing age), never married and have no children are prime candidates to become female husbands. This is because they will want an heir to inherit their name, wealth and property. A woman in this situation will find a younger woman to marry and bear her children. She will become a female husband by giving bride-wealth and observing all the other the rituals asked of a suitor by the bride’s family. The wife may have children with any man she wishes, or a man chosen by the female husband, but the legal and social ‘father’ of the children will be the female husband. The giving and receiving of bride-wealth accords the female husband the same rights over the children as any other husband (Sacks, 1982). As the social and legal father of the children, the female husband will support the children as would any other father, regardless of who the biological father may be.
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 23, 2016
An anthropological study conducted by Oboler (1980) found that the Nandi female husband is considered culturally male and thus allowed to take on male roles. For instance, a female husband may be allowed to take on political roles that women are typically not allowed adopt. A female husband is also unlikely to carry things on her head and so forth. Oboler interviewed a female husband who described the typical male role she plays when entertaining visitors: “When a visitor comes, I sit with him outside and converse with him. My wife brings out maize-porridge, vegetables and milk. When we have finished eating I say, ‘wife, come and take the dishes’. Then I go for a walk with the visitor.” (1980, p. 77)
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 23, 2016
The Abagusii people of Western Kenya have a slightly different form of women marriage. An example of woman marriage among the Abagusii would be where a mother with only female children marries a woman for a fictitious son (Oboler, 1980). In patriarchal societies, daughters or their offspring cannot carry on the family line – that is the preserve of sons. In such a situation, a woman who only has daughters fears risking everything due to the absence of male heirs to perpetuate the family name and inherit the family wealth. To resolve this dilemma, a woman without sons may marry a young woman with the expectation that she will bear a son for the family. The purpose of the union is therefore to provide a male heir for the family. The woman that gives bride-wealth takes responsibility for, and has rights over, any children born by the bride. The biological father will have no rights over the children. This kind of marriage is classified as woman marriage although it is done on behalf of a non-existent son. Single mothers in Western Kenya are said to view this as a good alternative way of obtaining economic security and social acceptance when they have children out of wedlock.
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 23, 2016
Another variation of woman marriage is where a woman is simultaneously wife and female husband (Sacks, 1982). A married woman, who is independently wealthy, can choose to set up a compound of her own that is separate from her husband’s compound. She would do so by marrying one or more women to be her wives and bear her children, which would make her a female-husband in her own compound and a wife in her husband’s compound. This form of woman marriage is known to be practiced among the Lovedu of South Africa (Sacks, 1982) and the Igbo of Benin and Nigeria (Eskeridge, 1993). The Lovedu are known to be the only African society that still have a female monarch often referred to as the Rain Queen. The queen herself has been known to be a female husband to many wives. Ifeyenwa Olinke, an Igbo woman who lived in the 19th Century, was a famously enterprising woman, who socially overshadowed her less prosperous male husband. As a symbol of her prosperity and social standing, she married nine wives (Eskeridge, 1993). Her husband did not have as many wives.
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 23, 2016
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Tallesty1(m): 9:06am On Aug 23, 2016
Yea.
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by solepager(m): 9:09am On Aug 23, 2016
How does the "wife" bear children for the lineage of the "husband" to continue since there are no sex between them. If the woman get gets pregnant from an actual man...wont it create complications since he wants to claim his baby.
Just thinking
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 23, 2016
solepager:
How does the "wife" bear children for the lineage of the "husband" to continue since there are no sex between them. If the woman get gets pregnant from an actual man...wont it create complications since he wants to claim his baby.
Just thinking
The practice is that the wife is gets children from wherever. Sometimes it's hard to even tell which child belongs to which man. In practice, the married women are despised for it. There are derogatory words used to refer to the children. But traditionally, those children were considered as part of the family as any children. Nobody can successfully claim them after dowry is paid.
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by charijee(f): 3:58pm On Aug 23, 2016
So the man who gets the woman pregnant cannot in any way claim the children?

I know this is practiced in some parts of Nigeria ....I find this awkward though
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by solepager(m): 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2016
charijee:
So the man who gets the woman pregnant cannot in any way claim the children?

I know this is practiced in some parts of Nigeria ....I find this awkward though
very awkward. Woman and woman{wife}marries. Woman bring belle home. Its ok. No crime. But Man and woman marries. Woman bring belle home{gets a broken head} lol. Some cultures are so wacked

2 Likes

Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by charijee(f): 6:17pm On Aug 23, 2016
solepager:
very awkward. Woman and woman{wife}marries. Woman bring belle home. Its ok. No crime. But Man and woman marries. Woman bring belle home{gets a broken head} lol. Some cultures are so wacked
Azzin ehn....Why is it even called marriage

The woman is allowed to sleep with any man or as many men as possible.....adultery of the highest order grin
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by solepager(m): 9:54pm On Aug 23, 2016
charijee:
Azzin ehn....Why is it even called marriage

The woman is allowed to sleep with any man or as many men as possible.....adultery of the highest order grin
lol. A scene is just running in my head.

Woman{husband} - i need a child. A heir to my name. You have been giving birth to males or i'll take another wife.

Woman(wife)- my husband let me sleep with chief kukuma at obujatu three villages away along the river. You know we have tried all the males in our village. (wacko) lols

1 Like

Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by charijee(f): 6:51am On Aug 24, 2016
solepager:
lol. A scene is just running in my head.

Woman{husband} - i need a child. A heir to my name. You have been giving birth to males or i'll take another wife.

Woman(wife)- my husband let me sleep with chief kukuma at obujatu three villages away along the river. You know we have tried all the males in our village. (wacko) lols
Lol cheesy
I see you wanna make a movie out of it

In this marriage....she needs no permission from the woman (husband)....

She's allowed to 'knack' whoever.....but the children must come home
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by solepager(m): 8:01am On Aug 24, 2016
charijee:
Lol cheesy
I see you wanna make a movie out of it

In this marriage....she needs no permission from the woman (husband)....

She's allowed to 'knack' whoever.....but the children must come home
movie? Lols. I read alot but the patience sitting down? Hhmmm. Even if no sex its still not the natural order of things. And i thought i've heard it all
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by hommespecia: 11:08am On Aug 24, 2016
these tradition is practiced in some part of southeastern Nigeria.
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by ImperialYoruba: 4:51am On Aug 25, 2016
Lets call this crap what it is and stop sugar coating and making it an appeal or a thing of cherish.

It is lesbo, period!
Re: African Traditional Women To Women Marriages by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 25, 2016
I think the tradition would work just as well with men grin

(1) (Reply)

Who Has The Best Username On Nairaland / BSN Traditional Wears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / Little Baby Put Inside Basket Filled With Pepper (pic & Comment)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.