Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,025 members, 7,821,562 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips (16369 Views)

10 Powerful Words That Will Get You A Job / UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! / How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:36pm On Aug 23, 2016
I'm posting this again for the benefit of those who didn't see it the first time.

“There are no jobs out there! It’s as simple as that” Only God knows how many times I have heard people make that remark. As a matter of fact, it’s gradually becoming a normal opening remark for encouraging undergraduates to venture into other things rather than searching for a white collar job.

As much as I support the idea of being an entrepreneur, starting your own business and being your own boss, I see no reason why an individual would invest over a decade of his life in being educated and not get to use the certificate for some years before venturing into other things, if need be.

In all sincerity, the ratio of available jobs compared to qualified applicants is very low, which means, to be gainfully employed in this part of the world, you must not just stand out, you must also know how to play your card rightly.

This post will explore the basic grounds that must be covered from your undergraduate days, during and after NYSC (National Youth Service Corp) program.

AS AN UNDERGRADUATE:

In my conversation with some set of students in Nigerian universities, I discovered that most of them don’t actually have the end in mind before commencing their degree program. They just want to be identified as an undergraduate, leave their parent’s house and enjoy the freedom that come along with it.

As an undergraduate, it’s never too early to starting thinking about what the future holds for you, such thinking will not only gear you up in preparing for what the field has to offer, it will also connect you with like-minded people. Below are the basic things your preparation must cover as an undergraduate aspiring to get his/her dream job after graduation.

1. Make Good Grades: The importance of graduating with good grades cannot be overemphasized. In Nigeria, it’s very important that you graduate with a minimum of second class lower division. But the central idea of getting your dream job is to stand out, this means; you should go beyond the fold and not settle for the national average grade. While in school, do your best to make at least second class upper division.

There is a popular saying that “Your destiny does not revolve around your grade” the truth is this; your grade as undergraduate degree is a co-determinant of your future job. Don’t be fooled by ridiculous examples of how Bill Gate dropped out of school, how Mark Zuckerberg left school mid-way into his degree in Harvard. In this part of the world, it’s a different ball game!

Your good grade will at least get you invites for interviews.

2. Learn How To Interact: Being sociable is one of the main reasons for going to school. The ability to interact with strangers and acquaintance in like manner is of great importance. Before you graduate, make it a point of duty to build up your self confidence, learn how to approach people and initiate a conversation, learn how to get people to listen to you, learn how to address a large crowd.

It’s a skill you would eventually tap into for the rest of your life.

3. Research about Your Field: Most undergraduates in Nigeria don’t even know that the course they’re studying existed, until they were admitted to study it. Rejecting the admission offer is not an option because it’s very stressful to get admitted in Nigeria, as a result of this, they accepted the offer and do what needs to be done.

The problem is that, they remain uninformed about the field, which leads to series of problem after graduation, issues such as role conflict and inferiority complex sets in, mainly because they know little or nothing about the course they studied as an undergraduate.

It’s very important to conduct an extensive research about your field of study before accepting the admission offer, conduct research on what the future holds for the field.

For example, years ago, Law used to be a very lucrative field, but now it’s not as lucrative as it used to be. I know of lawyers that can barely fuel their cars. It’s as bad as that. Even if you graduate with an excellent grade and your choice of course holds not prospect, getting your dream job might be a little bit difficult.

DURING NYSC:

The NYSC year is not entirely for fun as most people term it to be, it’s a year for meeting new people, exploring other people’s culture, gaining more knowledge and expanding your horizon. During your NYSC year, there are some things you can do which will greatly increase your chance of landing your dream job.

1. Make Good Friends: During the service year, you get to meet hundreds of people you’ve never met before. It’s a great opportunity of making new friends, creating lasting connection with people that matters. Try as much as possible to create a strong connection base for yourself, amidst fellow corp. members and in your place of primary assignment, make yourself known, engage in various activities.

When you’re done with your NYSC program, don’t burn bridges; keep your connection with friends active through various means. Often, good jobs are gotten based on referrals from existing connection.

2. Professional Certificates: During NYSC program, try as much as possible to get additional certificates to compliment your first degree. Most of the professional programs are offered at a relatively cheap price for corp. members. Look into programs that fit your career goals and get certified. Engineers and Biomedical science graduate can look into HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) program; Social science graduates can take professional exams in the management sector.

The idea is to conduct an extensive research into available programs that would give you an edge ahead of others.

3. Volunteer: In Nigeria, when it comes to job hunting, your level of experience also counts. Getting a job that requires some level of experience is synonymous to the chicken and egg issue. Fresh graduates would traditionally have no working experience in their field of study, making it difficult to secure the perfect job.

This is where the importance of volunteering comes in. In the end, your employers are looking out for your experience; they’re not interested in how much you were paid when gathering the experience. Search for corporations, groups and organization that are willing to take up volunteers or trainees during your NYSC program, get your foot into the right door, and before you know it, you’re already dining with the big boys.

AFTER NYSC:

The first six months after the NYSC passing out parade is probably the toughest period for fresh graduates, mainly because the unemployed ones will have no source of income, the regular feeding allowance from the government is over, stipends from parent is also over, and the little savings during the NYSC program would probably be spent on job hunting.The following are basic things that should be done during the waiting period after NYSC:

1. Tell your connections about your job search.
2. Make new connections.
3. Don’t wait while searching for the right job! Volunteer in related field, try as much as possible to be productive and add value to yourself
4. Be flexible

In conclusion, it’s never too late to start aligning yourself towards your dream job, even if you graduated with a poor grade, you can still add value to yourself by being certified in your field or enrolling for a graduate degree program.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/06/23/how-to-get-your-dream-job-in-nigeria-10-powerful-tips/

20 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 24, 2016
[b]GLO made me FTC grin.......Glo with pride!!

TO THE TOPIC......

1) PRAY
Nothing is ever to hard for God!.....forqet about good grades or connection.....I have someone who earns 100k plus at IITA with a technical school certificate....and at that same organisation....Masters are beqqinq to be just a 'CASUAL WORKER'....

2) TRY TO BE FRIENDS WITH POLITICIANS
There are some 'under ground' recruitment that takes place in Government agencies that are not often advertised..... Most of this politicians do know about it!...

3) DONT SLEEP AT HOME
I don't know how to explain this.....but just make sure you don't sit at home waiting for 300k job.....We have schools....try dem even if it is 15k....God does not despise humble beginning..

4) DONT HAVE ENEMIES
Make sure everyone is your friend....don't taq anyone as a foe.....We don't know who miqht help......

FTC dedicated to all NCAN member through out the Universe....We rock!....
[/b]

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 24, 2016
undecided
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Lazyreporta(m): 7:09am On Aug 24, 2016
smiley

Very beautiful tips op..

Meanwhile, check our thread here for beautiful invitation cards... You will surely love them kiss
www.nairaland.com/3275752/wedding-store-t-w-creating
Lol dream job for this naija when job no they ?

grin

i got 5k mtn airtime to sell at 4k, view my profile for contact,
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by sosgrafix(m): 7:09am On Aug 24, 2016
Nigeria ee go better sha
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by LMAyedun(m): 7:10am On Aug 24, 2016
Helpful.. Thanks OP.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by NigerDeltan(m): 7:11am On Aug 24, 2016
HARD ANALYSIS:

Divide your SALARY by 30 days and see what you get (i.e. the number of days in a month and see the funny thing about your salary plan).
For example,

(1) An average level-12 worker in the state government civil service earns NGN 60,000.
**** And this translates to NGN 60,000÷30= NGN 2,000 every day. This is LESS THAN the amount made daily by an AVERAGE HAWKER in the city.

(2) A freshly EMPLOYED GRADUATE BANKER in most NIGERIAN BANKS earns an average of NGN120,000 monthly.
***So everyday, you get NGN120,000÷30= NGN4,000 as the daily value for your work-life. By implication, this is LESS THAN the amount earned DAILY by an AVERAGE DRIVER in d city and in some villages.....

(3) If you are a FRESH GRADUATE EMPLOYEE in some oil companies, you earn an average of NGN300,000 monthly. So in a day your WORK-VALUE is NGN300,000 ÷ 30= NGN10,000
**** This is LESS THAN the daily amount earned by an IRRIGATION FARMER supplying vegetables to Lagos MARKETS, a TIPPER CAR DRIVER supplying sand for three BLOCK INDUSTRIES and CONSTRUCTION SITES just 3 times a day and DRIVERS of DANGOTE TRUCKS who have bought off the trucks at scrap value and are using them to convey products between villages and the cities for just five business owners.
--------->>>HOPE BY NOW, IT IS SINKING IN, RIGHT?
And when there is an ISSUE in the FAMILY that requires FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE, the DRIVERS, HAWKERS and the rest are looking up to you with a WHITE COLLAR JOB.

(4) If you are an NYSC MEMBER, you DON'T need to be told that:
*****NGN19,800÷30 = NGN 660 is your worth on a daily basis.

I hope you know that PURE WATER SELLERS who own a shop, a pepper soup joint and a small TOYOTA COROLLA car to distribute pure water to five restaurants earn MORE THAN you & WHEEL-BARROW PUSHERS working on contract for three warehouses probably make MORE MONEY than you EACH DAY

We shouldn't end at satisfactions from these earnings. We should be more proactive, create room for more income and strive to diversify our streams of income.

The earlier you wake up and smell the coffee, the better for you......

I know of someone right now who will say this is too ideal to be true but take your time and do this analysis over and over again, and you will grasp the crux!!!

STOP waiting for the Government to feed you, feed yourself and help the Government feed others. That is where we are in this age.

DO have an Entrepreneurial week ahead

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Ask4Info: 7:13am On Aug 24, 2016
Do you know one career path that you can NEVER EVER[ be out of job for maximum of what month? A job that gives you Confidence and the Network you never imagined you will ever have yet most people dread that career path because they don't know the secret? Wellthe best career one must get through at on point or the other in life is SALES.

Every industry no matter how small or big need to make sales to stay in business and they always require a sales person.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by SPG4U(m): 7:13am On Aug 24, 2016
i will be glad to help curb employment in my own little way as a nigerian...

I will be glad to help u sack ur boss...

i will show you how to sell anything online without importing and making massive income weekly from the comfort of ur home...

feel free to add me up on whatsapp 08067984710 my name is ADEBOYE OLUSEGUN SPAGGY (FB) ...a six figure income mentor

and am doing this for free to help my fellow nairalanders

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by casttlebarbz(m): 7:14am On Aug 24, 2016
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Achorise: 7:16am On Aug 24, 2016
If you go by this thread only to secure a better future for yourself, you may definitely wait in vain
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by BE811APP: 7:17am On Aug 24, 2016
ok.... cheesy
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:19am On Aug 24, 2016
IN NIGERIA MY BROTHER THE SITATION IN NIGERIA IS GETTING WORST.... WITH OUT CONNECTION U CANT GET UR DREAM JOB FACT#
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by lonelydora: 7:19am On Aug 24, 2016
Okay

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 24, 2016
NigerDeltan:
HARD ANALYSIS:

Divide your SALARY by 30 days and see what you get (i.e. the number of days in a month and see the funny thing about your salary plan).
For example,

(1) An average level-12 worker in the state government civil service earns NGN 60,000.
**** And this translates to NGN 60,000÷30= NGN 2,000 every day. This is LESS THAN the amount made daily by an AVERAGE HAWKER in the city.

(2) A freshly EMPLOYED GRADUATE BANKER in most NIGERIAN BANKS earns an average of NGN120,000 monthly.
***So everyday, you get NGN120,000÷30= NGN4,000 as the daily value for your work-life. By implication, this is LESS THAN the amount earned DAILY by an AVERAGE DRIVER in d city and in some villages.....

(3) If you are a FRESH GRADUATE EMPLOYEE in some oil companies, you earn an average of NGN300,000 monthly. So in a day your WORK-VALUE is NGN300,000 ÷ 30= NGN10,000
**** This is LESS THAN the daily amount earned by an IRRIGATION FARMER supplying vegetables to Lagos MARKETS, a TIPPER CAR DRIVER supplying sand for three BLOCK INDUSTRIES and CONSTRUCTION SITES just 3 times a day and DRIVERS of DANGOTE TRUCKS who have bought off the trucks at scrap value and are using them to convey products between villages and the cities for just five business owners.
--------->>>HOPE BY NOW, IT IS SINKING IN, RIGHT?
And when there is an ISSUE in the FAMILY that requires FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE, the DRIVERS, HAWKERS and the rest are looking up to you with a WHITE COLLAR JOB.

(4) If you are an NYSC MEMBER, you DON'T need to be told that:
*****NGN19,800÷30 = NGN 660 is your worth on a daily basis.

I hope you know that PURE WATER SELLERS who own a shop, a pepper soup joint and a small TOYOTA COROLLA car to distribute pure water to five restaurants earn MORE THAN you & WHEEL-BARROW PUSHERS working on contract for three warehouses probably make MORE MONEY than you EACH DAY

We shouldn't end at satisfactions from these earnings. We should be more proactive, create room for more income and strive to diversify our streams of income.

The earlier you wake up and smell the coffee, the better for you......

I know of someone right now who will say this is too ideal to be true but take your time and do this analysis over and over again, and you will grasp the crux!!!

STOP waiting for the Government to feed you, feed yourself and help the Government feed others. That is where we are in this age.

DO have an Entrepreneurial week ahead
Thank you bro plz tell them..

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Rapmoney(m): 7:24am On Aug 24, 2016
cool
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Eazybay(m): 7:24am On Aug 24, 2016
Did you say dream job

You can get best bag deals on my signature thread.

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Adex097: 7:26am On Aug 24, 2016
The only powerful tip I'd recommend is to know as many people as possible (networking). Wanna get your dream job, then adopt the man-know-man policy. Thank me later. smiley

PS: Not discrediting the aforementioned points though.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by gidzbobby: 7:28am On Aug 24, 2016
Op, ehen-ehen.... As u see me so, I don weak.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 24, 2016
una crazy, wetin I dey see
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Francon(f): 7:29am On Aug 24, 2016
Point taken
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Innodon(m): 7:32am On Aug 24, 2016
Seen
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by peter1994(m): 7:33am On Aug 24, 2016
OK
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by FILEBE(m): 7:35am On Aug 24, 2016
Dream Job? Is there anything like dream job in Nigeria? You work wherever you find yourself ni o
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by CICERO09(m): 7:42am On Aug 24, 2016
All na wash, if you don't have better connection in this country na die 4 u
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by clydedaniels(m): 7:42am On Aug 24, 2016
undecided
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by asarebabson: 7:48am On Aug 24, 2016
The civil service job is not even programmed to make civil servants supper rich but to be a beat confortable by affording some basic necessities of life. However, for the civil servants to break away from the above life style, they most diversify their earning into businesses that may yeild daily or weekly incomes which require a lot of sercrifices.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by clydedaniels(m): 7:51am On Aug 24, 2016
Eazybay:
Did you say dream job

You can get best bag deals on my signature thread.

Is the babe for sale?
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Prospero01(m): 7:52am On Aug 24, 2016
Hmmm. What you listed may not be true based on the following reasons:
1* 90% of working class don't eventually work in there areas of specialty. I am one example, others can attest to that. Knowing about your field is as useless as anything. Rather encourage general knowledge upon graduation.
2* Good application of knowledge rather than good grades. Take for example you have your first degree in Literature in English. Conflict is one of the literary appreciation you will come to know. Know no company will employ or ask you to define conflict but rather would want to see how if place in managerial position you can resolve organizational conflicts. I hope I am making sense.
3* God is the only constant factor. All other things are variable. When you know him enough, He breaks protocols for you. Years back while job hunting, I had read Guardian, Punch and hooked up with every available job site. One night my friend and I was praying and I had God say stop going online to apply. Your job will come through recommendation with no interview. True to it, my friend and I got a job without being interviewed. Guess who God used? My sister's connection.
4* lastly for job seekers, your first job usually may not be of a higher pay or better captured may fall below your expectations. But take it and grow. God blesses the work of our hands not the idleness of it.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How God Miraculously Got Me A Job / Mainstreet Bank Interview For Experienced Hire / Graduate Analyst – IARCS Job At KPMG Nigeria-2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.