Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,391 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips (11795 Views)

10 Powerful Words That Will Get You A Job / How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips / UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:04pm On Jun 23, 2016
“There are no jobs out there! It’s as simple as that” Only God knows how many times I have heard people make that remark. As a matter of fact, it’s gradually becoming a normal opening remark for encouraging undergraduates to venture into other things rather than searching for a white collar job.

As much as I support the idea of being an entrepreneur, starting your own business and being your own boss, I see no reason why an individual would invest over a decade of his life in being educated and not get to use the certificate for some years before venturing into other things, if need be.

In all sincerity, the ratio of available jobs compared to qualified applicants is very low, which means, to be gainfully employed in this part of the world, you must not just stand out, you must also know how to play your card rightly.

This post will explore the basic grounds that must be covered from your undergraduate days, during and after NYSC (National Youth Service Corp) program.

AS AN UNDERGRADUATE:

In my conversation with some set of students in Nigerian universities, I discovered that most of them don’t actually have the end in mind before commencing their degree program. They just want to be identified as an undergraduate, leave their parent’s house and enjoy the freedom that come along with it.

As an undergraduate, it’s never too early to starting thinking about what the future holds for you, such thinking will not only gear you up in preparing for what the field has to offer, it will also connect you with like-minded people. Below are the basic things your preparation must cover as an undergraduate aspiring to get his/her dream job after graduation.

1. Make Good Grades: The importance of graduating with good grades cannot be overemphasized. In Nigeria, it’s very important that you graduate with a minimum of second class lower division. But the central idea of getting your dream job is to stand out, this means; you should go beyond the fold and not settle for the national average grade. While in school, do your best to make at least second class upper division.

There is a popular saying that “Your destiny does not revolve around your grade” the truth is this; your grade as undergraduate degree is a co-determinant of your future job. Don’t be fooled by ridiculous examples of how Bill Gate dropped out of school, how Mark Zuckerberg left school mid-way into his degree in Harvard. In this part of the world, it’s a different ball game!

Your good grade will at least get you invites for interviews.

2. Learn How To Interact: Being sociable is one of the main reasons for going to school. The ability to interact with strangers and acquaintance in like manner is of great importance. Before you graduate, make it a point of duty to build up your self confidence, learn how to approach people and initiate a conversation, learn how to get people to listen to you, learn how to address a large crowd.

It’s a skill you would eventually tap into for the rest of your life.

3. Research about Your Field: Most undergraduates in Nigeria don’t even know that the course they’re studying existed, until they were admitted to study it. Rejecting the admission offer is not an option because it’s very stressful to get admitted in Nigeria, as a result of this, they accepted the offer and do what needs to be done.

The problem is that, they remain uninformed about the field, which leads to series of problem after graduation, issues such as role conflict and inferiority complex sets in, mainly because they know little or nothing about the course they studied as an undergraduate.

It’s very important to conduct an extensive research about your field of study before accepting the admission offer, conduct research on what the future holds for the field.

For example, years ago, Law used to be a very lucrative field, but now it’s not as lucrative as it used to be. I know of lawyers that can barely fuel their cars. It’s as bad as that. Even if you graduate with an excellent grade and your choice of course holds not prospect, getting your dream job might be a little bit difficult.

DURING NYSC:

The NYSC year is not entirely for fun as most people term it to be, it’s a year for meeting new people, exploring other people’s culture, gaining more knowledge and expanding your horizon. During your NYSC year, there are some things you can do which will greatly increase your chance of landing your dream job.

1. Make Good Friends: During the service year, you get to meet hundreds of people you’ve never met before. It’s a great opportunity of making new friends, creating lasting connection with people that matters. Try as much as possible to create a strong connection base for yourself, amidst fellow corp. members and in your place of primary assignment, make yourself known, engage in various activities.

When you’re done with your NYSC program, don’t burn bridges; keep your connection with friends active through various means. Often, good jobs are gotten based on referrals from existing connection.

2. Professional Certificates: During NYSC program, try as much as possible to get additional certificates to compliment your first degree. Most of the professional programs are offered at a relatively cheap price for corp. members. Look into programs that fit your career goals and get certified. Engineers and Biomedical science graduate can look into HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) program; Social science graduates can take professional exams in the management sector.

The idea is to conduct an extensive research into available programs that would give you an edge ahead of others.

3. Volunteer: In Nigeria, when it comes to job hunting, your level of experience also counts. Getting a job that requires some level of experience is synonymous to the chicken and egg issue. Fresh graduates would traditionally have no working experience in their field of study, making it difficult to secure the perfect job.

This is where the importance of volunteering comes in. In the end, your employers are looking out for your experience; they’re not interested in how much you were paid when gathering the experience. Search for corporations, groups and organization that are willing to take up volunteers or trainees during your NYSC program, get your foot into the right door, and before you know it, you’re already dining with the big boys.

AFTER NYSC:

The first six months after the NYSC passing out parade is probably the toughest period for fresh graduates, mainly because the unemployed ones will have no source of income, the regular feeding allowance from the government is over, stipends from parent is also over, and the little savings during the NYSC program would probably be spent on job hunting.The following are basic things that should be done during the waiting period after NYSC:

1. Tell your connections about your job search.
2. Make new connections.
3. Don’t wait while searching for the right job! Volunteer in related field, try as much as possible to be productive and add value to yourself
4. Be flexible

In conclusion, it’s never too late to start aligning yourself towards your dream job, even if you graduated with a poor grade, you can still add value to yourself by being certified in your field or enrolling for a graduate degree program.

Copied from my website, www.patrickokunima.com

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by frenzydilz(m): 7:23pm On Jun 23, 2016
Nice one
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Abdul4trust1(m): 7:36pm On Jun 23, 2016
Fantastic
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Samseen(m): 11:47pm On Jun 23, 2016
Very Powerful Tips Indeed. Even as a fresh graduate in this country, you are expected to have a level of working experience.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 7:10am On Jun 24, 2016
[size=48pt] make sure you know a politician...probably an APC member[/size]

13 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by ojaydedon(m): 7:11am On Jun 24, 2016
hmm...
Op nice write up...

BUT IF PEOPLE START TO TELL YOU THEIR DREAM JOBS, WETIN YOU WRITE UP THERE NO GO HELP OH.. grin grin

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by adioolayi(m): 7:12am On Jun 24, 2016
..and finally, back up your Actions with Prayers (If you believe)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 24, 2016
cool

1 Share

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by makingsense(m): 7:14am On Jun 24, 2016
Hmmm. dream job
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Yemi9699(m): 7:14am On Jun 24, 2016
Like seriously?!
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by KangaIye: 7:15am On Jun 24, 2016
This country
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by prof800(m): 7:15am On Jun 24, 2016
Nice share.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by crunchyg: 7:16am On Jun 24, 2016
N
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by yomalex(m): 7:18am On Jun 24, 2016
Good
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by GoldenJAT(m): 7:19am On Jun 24, 2016
job that will b gotten... will b gotten despite anything!!! I know what I'm saying... if this my former coursemate can b working with elf.. ..then nothing is impossible.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Pyno30: 7:21am On Jun 24, 2016
93% of Nigerians are not on their dream Jobs,

When a Banker will be a doctor

and a Doctor apply for Police job

And a Lawyer Become a farmer

would you call that getting a dream job?

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by peter1994(m): 7:26am On Jun 24, 2016
nice.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by MVLOX(m): 7:26am On Jun 24, 2016
Then even as a student try to get a part time job dat can aid ur knowledge of how it feels like to be employed. Draft ur cv start applying jobs
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by richardoz(m): 7:32am On Jun 24, 2016
This is a good piece of informative/expository advice. God bless the op.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Intelligentdude(m): 7:34am On Jun 24, 2016
Very inspiring and insightful@OP.One has to be proactive and innovative in his/her quest to land the dream Job.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by don4real18(m): 8:56am On Jun 24, 2016
some certifications advertised/done during NYSC are as good as useless... Only get certified by a known institution
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Teebabie88(f): 8:56am On Jun 24, 2016
Nice write up. Today is my birthday. Wish myself happiness and most importantly a good job smiley

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by wacoj(m): 9:28am On Jun 24, 2016
Forget it my brother.
Less than 1% of Nigerians get their dream job on merit.

Good grade is good, professional qualification is fantastic, work experience is wonderful.
But to get your dream job in Nigeria, you need a serious connection no be beans.

I have a B.Sc (2.1) in Accountancy
Professional qualification with NIM
Associate Chartered Accountant (ICAN)
Over seven years work experience.

Yet I am not in my dream job!

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by izzy4shizzy(m): 9:46am On Jun 24, 2016
The op spoke well, there's huge need for you as an undergraduate to get good grades but the most important thing is not ur grades, its ur ability to solve problems, most people rilly undastand what the been in d university means almost when they r about graduating, this is not bad becos graduating from the university is not the end, its just the beginning..a race started poorly doesnt necessarily mean u will loose, you just nid to know what made u start poorly and imorove on it
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Akalia(m): 9:48am On Jun 24, 2016
OP in a country like Nigeria landing on one's dream job is most often than not far fetched. Your counsel to those still trying to align themselves towards their dream jobs should be to improvise. Improvise in the sense that they lay their hands on any legis[s][/s]late legitimate endeavour in other to make ends meet, keep busy and pass time. Dream jobs are like the beginning of a rainy season; it drops when you least expect.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by nurez305(m): 10:29am On Jun 24, 2016
Pyno30:
3% of Nigerians are not on their dream Jobs,

you mean 3% or 93%
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by ErepaTV: 10:37am On Jun 24, 2016
Okay
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 24, 2016
God pick my call. I need a job
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips by freshkik(m): 11:06am On Jun 24, 2016
Pyno30:
93% of Nigerians are not on their dream Jobs,

huh!!! Someone that studied banking & finance, now practicing as a doctor,?!!! Guy abeg if u wan lie, lie with sense nau angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Recruit 18,360 For Community Policing / I Just Got An Offer But Please I Need Advise From Those Who Know This Company / Ministry, Zinox To Build Database Of The Unemployed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.