Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,540 members, 7,823,365 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Help With Soakaway/septic Tank - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help With Soakaway/septic Tank (2505 Views)

How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) / Graphic Photos: Lady Survives Fall Into An Abandoned Soakaway Beneath Her Feet / Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Soakaway/septic Tank by danchuzzy(m): 8:26am On Aug 24, 2016
Good day fellow Nairalanders...

I have a challenge and I don't know how to go about solving it.

The thing is this, there's this septic tank/soak away pit in my lodge that keeps getting filled in less than no time. It has become a serious challenge because once it gets filled up it renders the toilet facility downstairs useless.

I have been met to come up with a solution but I am literally blank. I dunno what to recommend.

Mind you, the water table in the area is quite high (about 2m below ground level).

I'd really appreciate it if i can get suggestions on how to handle the challenge. Thanks in advance...
Re: Help With Soakaway/septic Tank by stanisbaratheon: 6:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
so you get this kind of challenge and you no border to call...
Re: Help With Soakaway/septic Tank by stanisbaratheon: 7:21pm On Sep 02, 2016
First of all, have you checked if the surrounding soil is coarse/granular?? Because it will be a shame to have a soakaway/septic tank (like you put it) sitting on a clayey ground and this can explain why most systems gets filled up even with little water.

high ground water level can cause soils to settle in the drain part (pipes) of the system. Shifting of the septic system components may also occur which can affect both the septic tank and the distribution system in the drainfield(the second chamber). The shifting can cause the inlet and outlets from the septic tank to become partially blocked.

If the soil in that area is clay then the only solution would be to call a sewage disposal company to pump out excess water from the system periodically just like Sammies/ Genesis fast food does.

Disclaimer: What i wrote up there is from my own personal experience from the Island some years back.
Re: Help With Soakaway/septic Tank by okenwa(m): 9:21pm On Sep 02, 2016
Get a vehicle to dredge it away
Re: Help With Soakaway/septic Tank by stanisbaratheon: 11:17pm On Sep 02, 2016
okenwa:
Get a vehicle to dredge it away

Well it's an alternative tho but dredging activity is not a good thing talkmore of doing it where you have people living.
Re: Help With Soakaway/septic Tank by opalu: 3:16am On Sep 03, 2016
It was wrongly done. It's either the volume (size) is smaller than what comes into it. Or it was not properly constructed hence underground water leaks into it.

Whichever it is, the owner needs to reconstruct a new septic tank after demolishing and packing that existing one. Better soup na money kill am. Most people don't like quality things because of the cost. Yet they end up spending triple the price of quality by doing a fake one first.

(1) (Reply)

Land For Sale:Fountain Brooks Garden By Pan Atlantic University,lekki Expressway / Some Newly Constructed Roundabouts in parts of Port Harcourt / Lagos And Abuja Landed, Residential And Commercial Properties For sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.