Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin (5011 Views)

Nigerian Pidgin Proverbs And Their Translation. / BROKIN; The Nigerian Pidgin History And Origin. / Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 4:19pm On Oct 30, 2016
OMAR12:
Nah is another word for ( IT,IS,Where
, when etc) in Nigerian pidgin. e.g

nah lie :- it a lie
nah watin :- what is it.
watin nah:- what is it
nah where u de go:- where are u going.
nah chike be this? :- is this chike?
abeg nah where I fit take find ojuelegba:- please where can I find my way to ojuelegba.

note: - atimes people say it just to concludes a sentence, without any meaning attached to it. e.g
fela when u go show my place nah?: - fela when would u be coming to my house nah?.

Thank you for all of that!! It seems it's more of a rule than an exception that English loanwords in NP don't mean exactly the same thing as in English. (There is a similar situation for English and Swedish as well.)
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 10:19pm On Oct 30, 2016
A question for you all! There is a person in the novel who says "O se!" when she receives a compliment that I think she wanted to hear. I don't want to translate it, but "O se!" means "Oh look!" in Swedish, so I have to change it somehow.

Could "O se baba!" be used in that context? Or is there an equivalent expression that I could use instead?

By the way: the novel that I'm working on (and trying to get published eventually) is Blackass by A. Igoni Barrett.
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by Amoto94(m): 11:18am On Oct 31, 2016
jhswe:
A question for you all! There is a person in the novel who says "O se!" when she receives a compliment that I think she wanted to hear. I don't want to translate it, but "O se!" means "Oh look!" in Swedish, so I have to change it somehow.

Could "O se baba!" be used in that context? Or is there an equivalent expression that I could use instead?

By the way: the novel that I'm working on (and trying to get published eventually) is Blackass by A. Igoni Barrett.
O se means thank you. In the context it was used for in the passage the recipient of the compliment is correct to use O se.
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 11:58am On Oct 31, 2016
Amoto94:
O se means thank you. In the context it was used for in the passage the recipient of the compliment is correct to use O se.

Yes, problem is: people will think it's Swedish and not NP. Is there an equivalent NP expression?
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by Amoto94(m): 6:02pm On Oct 31, 2016
jhswe:

Yes, problem is: people will think it's Swedish and not NP. Is there an equivalent NP expression?
The right pronunciation is O shé
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by babyfaceafrica: 5:16pm On Nov 01, 2016
jhswe:

mo dupe meaning am grateful,you could also use wa sere meaning you will do well
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by chrisooblog: 12:10pm On Nov 10, 2016
hi jhswe how's your write up coming along? good i hope

jhswe:

I've been to the continent at least (Egypt)

I hope so ... smiley Feel free to email me, by the way, as it would be fun to have a chat over skype sometime!

All the best!

Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by chrisooblog: 12:30pm On Nov 10, 2016
hi sorry haven't been on this thread for a while just seeing this.

O se is a yoruba (one of the major tribes in nigeria) word meaning thanks/thank you.

in the context you want to use it in ''thank you'' will suffice because O se isn't necessarily part of our pidgin it's just a borrowed word that we yorubas tend to incorporate in the pidgin we speak.

so you can write it this way ''thank you my G'' G meaning Guy. in this context you're saying ''thanks dude'' or ''thank you my homey'''

jhswe:

Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 12:19pm On Nov 15, 2016
chrisooblog:
hi sorry haven't been on this thread for a while just seeing this.

O se is a yoruba (one of the major tribes in nigeria) word meaning thanks/thank you.

in the context you want to use it in ''thank you'' will suffice because O se isn't necessarily part of our pidgin it's just a borrowed word that we yorubas tend to incorporate in the pidgin we speak.

so you can write it this way ''thank you my G'' G meaning Guy. in this context you're saying ''thanks dude'' or ''thank you my homey'''

I see. I'd like to preserve as many regional words and expressions as possible, but this time it'll be too confusing. undecided Thanks again, chrisooblog!
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 18, 2016
jhswe:

I see. I'd like to preserve as many regional words and expressions as possible, but this time it'll be too confusing. undecided Thanks again, chrisooblog!
Oyibo, how far? You still dey onto this matter? I can help you in pure pidgin but if na languages like Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa just count me out because my tribe is different. Anyhow sha, God bless your matter. Ask any Qs on the thread should you hit any bump.

Oboy, who be una President sef? I haven't heard the name of Sweden's presido in my life... Lol
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 6:24pm On Dec 03, 2016
soupandeba:

Oyibo, how far? You still dey onto this matter? I can help you in pure pidgin but if na languages like Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa just count me out because my tribe is different. Anyhow sha, God bless your matter. Ask any Qs on the thread should you hit any bump.

Oboy, who be una President sef? I haven't heard the name of Sweden's presido in my life... Lol

You are well-informed about the president of Sweden, because this country is a monarchy. smiley For now. We are making progress though: the current king and queen are in no way related.
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 6:27pm On Dec 03, 2016
I actually have a lot of questions accumulated now. I figured I might post them all here. I have been talking with a couple of people from this forum, but I think at this point there are too many question marks to straighten for a Skype session ... smiley I'll be back.
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 7:41pm On Dec 04, 2016
Now then ... What is a biscuit bone?
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by Amoto94(m): 8:40pm On Dec 04, 2016
jhswe:
Now then ... What is a biscuit bone?
It is a cooked soft bone attached to a beef.
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 2:47pm On Dec 05, 2016
Amoto94:
It is a cooked soft bone attached to a beef.

Thank you. It'll be difficult to translate, so maybe I'll just leave it ... Is there perhaps another name for it that's not in English, but that's just as natural for people to use?
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by Amoto94(m): 8:51am On Dec 06, 2016
jhswe:

Thank you. It'll be difficult to translate, so maybe I'll just leave it ... Is there perhaps another name for it that's not in English, but that's just as natural for people to use?
There is no substitute name for it in local language as far as I know. And moreover any Nigerian who speaks pidgin understand the meaning and its usage of the term biscuit bone.
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 1:32pm On Dec 14, 2016
Amoto94:
There is no substitute name for it in local language as far as I know. And moreover any Nigerian who speaks pidgin understand the meaning and its usage of the term biscuit bone.

Yeah. But I think Swedes will be bothered by the sudden appearance of an English word ... But they'll live. wink
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by jhswe: 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2016
So ... Another question. Am I right in my assumption that the term "Igbo" is correct (i.e. what Igbo people and others actually say), whereas Ibo is a Western way of saying and spelling it? Regardless of whether you hear it among native Nigerians as well?
Re: Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin by Amoto94(m): 8:41am On Dec 15, 2016
jhswe:
So ... Another question. Am I right in my assumption that the term "Igbo" is correct (i.e. what Igbo people and others actually say), whereas Ibo is a Western way of saying and spelling it? Regardless of whether you hear it among native Nigerians as well?
You are right about that although in the past Western writers used to write it as Eboe.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafrans Please Teach Me Igbo! / How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) / Why Do Afuze And People From Owan East Bear Yoruba Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.