Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,916 members, 7,817,688 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Buying A Used HDD/USB storage device - how to verify its a good/genuine HDD - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Buying A Used HDD/USB storage device - how to verify its a good/genuine HDD (1680 Views)

Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop / 6 Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop In Nigeria / Unlock Your USB Modem For Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying A Used HDD/USB storage device - how to verify its a good/genuine HDD by AKBliv010(m): 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2016
Right, your music or movie collection is finally filling up that lean 500GB HDD you have and your eyes are on a used 1000GB but not sure how to go about making sure it works properly or perhaps you are a seller and want your buyers to know they can trust the quality of the goods you sell. Here's a tool you can use. It's called HD Tune Pro - http://www.hdtune.com/download.html I'll leave the serial number at the end of this post.

It's portable (can be installed on a usb storage device and moved anywhere), intuitive, once installed and launched you'll quickly find a tab that says 'error scan' The bigger the hardrive is the longer it will take to scan. You can also do a quick scan ticking the relvant box under the 'start' button or leave it unchecked for a thorough scan. The amazing thing about this program is that you can have several instances running at the same time so can scan multiple drives scanned at the same time.

This will also tell you if the disk is genuine, how healthy the disk is (must be a SATA connection. can't check USB devices health status) and any BAD blocks will not turn green.

Serial number - CB52-7E23-3257-DA13-7B75

Enjoy!

Re: Buying A Used HDD/USB storage device - how to verify its a good/genuine HDD by Greatzeus(m): 5:33pm On Aug 24, 2016
AKBliv010:
Right, your music or movie collection is finally filling up that lean 500GB HDD you have and your eyes are on a used 1000GB but not sure how to go about making sure it works properly or perhaps you are a seller and want your buyers to know they can trust the quality of the goods you sell. Here's a tool you can use. It's called HD Tune Pro - http://www.hdtune.com/download.html I'll leave the serial number at the end of this post.

It's portable (can be installed on a usb storage device and moved anywhere), intuitive, once installed and launched you'll quickly find a tab that says 'error scan' The bigger the hardrive is the longer it will take to scan. You can also do a quick scan ticking the relvant box under the 'start' button or leave it unchecked for a thorough scan. The amazing thing about this program is that you can have several instances running at the same time so can scan multiple drives scanned at the same time.

This will also tell you if the disk is genuine, how healthy the disk is (must be a SATA connection. can't check USB devices health status) and any BAD blocks will not turn green.

Serial number - CB52-7E23-3257-DA13-7B75

Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing.
Pls will it state specifically that a HDD is bad or do one have to assume from the screen shots of green or black blocks?.
The reason I'm asking is if I want to buy an external HDD and I test it with this software,if it has black blocks meaning it is faulty,how will I be able to tell the seller it is bad,if all I used for my assumption is the screen shot of black or green blocks? Tnks
Re: Buying A Used HDD/USB storage device - how to verify its a good/genuine HDD by AKBliv010(m): 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2016
Greatzeus:

Thanks for sharing.
Pls will it state specifically that a HDD is bad or do one have to assume from the screen shots of green or black blocks?.
The reason I'm asking is if I want to buy an external HDD and I test it with this software,if it has black blocks meaning it is faulty,how will I be able to tell the seller it is bad,if all I used for my assumption is the screen shot of black or green blocks? Tnks

It won't state it's bad...any non-green blocks will indicate is has bad blocks but that doesn't give the full picture. Look at the health status too. Here's and example of a faulty hard drive I have...it's passed the quick scan but see the status report, it tells a different story. I have not done a thorough scan as that will take hours.

1 Like

Re: Buying A Used HDD/USB storage device - how to verify its a good/genuine HDD by Greatzeus(m): 5:55pm On Aug 24, 2016
AKBliv010:

It won't state it's bad...any non-green blocks will indicate is has bad blocks but that doesn't give the full picture. Look at the health status too. Here's and example of a faulty hard drive I have...it's passed the quick scan but see the status report, it tells a different story. I have not done a thorough scan as that will take hours.
OK tnks

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Over 1000 Likes On Facebook Daily / Internet In Delta State / Help! My Laptop Screen Has Turned To This, And Later The Tv In My Room Too

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.