Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,517 members, 7,850,780 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:57 AM

Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 - Sports (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 (23136 Views)

Poll: Who Grabs The Three points?

Nigeria: 83% (20 votes)
Tahiti: 8% (2 votes)
Draw: 8% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Spain Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (10 - 0) On 20th June 2013 / Echejile Disqualified As First Goal Scorer Against Tahiti / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by TexMex: 8:19pm On Oct 01, 2009
Someone has analysed our chances of qualifying for the Round of 16 (See Keta11 above) but I wish to clarify as follows:

4 Third-placed teams will qualify for the next round. Interestingly, 5 of these third-placed teams are all on 3 points. So for NIGERIA to qualify, at least one of these teams have to lose (yeah, a goalless draw will see them qualifying). Current Standings are as follows

EGYPT              +2
CAMEROUN       -1
COSTA - RICA   -2
HUNGARY          +1

Our attention should shift to the likelihood of these teams securing a draw most especially as their opponents may not be willing to help them as they too may be endangered now or in the Round of 16. I 'm looking at a win for GERMANY and CZECH REPUBLIC against CAMEROUN and COSTA-RICA respectively. EGYPT may end up playing a draw against ITALY later today, and the rather unpredictable match between UAE and HUNGARY gives room for more speculations. All said, I 'm optimistic that NIGERIA will make it to the Round of 16.

On the game against TAHITI itself, I feel Siasia rested some key players in order to prevent them from getting a RED or YELLOW card that may rule them out of the Round of 16. So I reckon he played with his Team B.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Sagamite(m): 8:20pm On Oct 01, 2009
Realistic Scenario that would knock out Nigeria

You can use this to track.

Egypt does not lose to Italy. (Then Italy, Paraguay and Italy all go through from the group)

Cameroun does not lose to Germany (Irrespective of other result in this group, then 3 will go from this group if this happens)

Costa Rica does not lose to Czech Rep (Irrespective of other result in this group, then 3 will go from this group if this happens)

Hungary does not lose to UAE (Irrespective of other result in this group, then 3 will go from this group if this happens)
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by ebmulo(m): 8:20pm On Oct 01, 2009
keta11:

From little research, I think Nigeria may have squeaked through, but it depends on many factors from competition from groups E and F --->

Current standings:

Nigeria - 3 games - 3 points (+2 goals)
Costa Rica - 2 games - 3 points (-2 goals)
Hondyras - 2 games - 3 points (+2 goals)
Hungary - 2 games - 3 points (+1 goals)
South Africa - 2 games - 1 point (-4 goals) - Unlikely to recover in 3rd game

Seems to me depends on next matches for Costa Rica, Honduras, Hungary since only 1 out of these countries and Naija, will go forward.

WHY HAS NIGERIA TURNED INTO THIS?
Nigeria that used to be feared in football circles has now become a football country that depends on others to qualify.
We are still complaining about super eagles and how they have turned us into matematicians and permutators calculating how mozambique and kenya can help us.
See what their junior ones (Flying Eagles) are now doing.
They ovbiously learn very well from their older ones on how to give us high blood pressure.

FLYING EAGLES CONGRATULATIONS .
NA YOU BIKO.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Uche2nna(m): 8:21pm On Oct 01, 2009
TexMex:

Someone has analysed our chances of qualifying for the Round of 16 (See Keta11 above) but I wish to clarify as follows:

4 Third-placed teams will qualify for the next round. Interestingly, 5 of these third-placed teams are all on 3 points. So for NIGERIA to qualify, at least one of these teams have to lose (yeah, a goalless draw will see them qualifying). Current Standings are as follows

EGYPT              +2
CAMEROUN       -1
COSTA - RICA   -2
HUNGARY          +1

Our attention should shift to the likelihood of these teams securing a draw most especially as their opponents may not be willing to help them as they too may be endangered now or in the Round of 16. I 'm looking at a win for GERMANY and CZECH REPUBLIC against CAMEROUN and COSTA-RICA respectively. EGYPT may end up playing a draw against ITALY later today, and the rather unpredictable match between UAE and HUNGARY gives room for more speculations. All said, I 'm optimistic that NIGERIA will make it to the Round of 16.

On the game against TAHITI itself, I feel Siasia rested some key players in order to prevent them from getting a RED or YELLOW card that may rule them out of the Round of 16. So I reckon he played with his Team B.

Too much permutation n, walahi  shocked shocked shocked  

It seems like it is the Nigerian way these days, waiting for others to do the work.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by MUNEER2(m): 8:23pm On Oct 01, 2009
keta11:

If Hungary draw against UAE, SA win over Honduras, Honduras draw vs SA, or Costa Rica draw vs Czech, Nigeria will go home.

How possible, all these at a time? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Uche2nna(m): 8:27pm On Oct 01, 2009
I like the BBC headline

Flying Eagles win and wait grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Davedavy: 8:28pm On Oct 01, 2009
Italy vs Egypt don start.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by keta11(m): 8:29pm On Oct 01, 2009
MUNEER2:

How possible, all these at a time? undecided undecided undecided

Sorry, Oga!

Sentence should have "or" instead of "," separating the matches. I.E. if any off those scenarios happens, unlikely FE will advance as best third team from groups B, E, and F.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Sagamite(m): 8:30pm On Oct 01, 2009
Sagamite:

Egypt does not lose to Italy. (Then Italy, Paraguay and Italy all go through from the group)

Cameroun does not lose to Germany (Irrespective of other result in this group, then 3 will go from this group if this happens)

Costa Rica does not lose to Czech Rep (Irrespective of other result in this group, then 3 will go from this group if this happens)

Hungary does not lose to UAE (Irrespective of other result in this group, then 3 will go from this group if this happens)

So basically if any one of Egypt, Cameroun, Costa Rica or Hungary lose then we are through.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by MUNEER2(m): 8:33pm On Oct 01, 2009
Uche2nna:

I like the BBC headline

Flying Eagles win and wait  grin

I like it too!!! grin grin grin grin
keta11:

Sorry, Oga!

Sentence should have "or" instead of "," separating the matches. I.E. if any off those scenarios happens, unlikely FE will advance as best third team from groups B, E, and F.

Thanks bruv, maybe i was too curious grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by TexMex: 8:35pm On Oct 01, 2009
@ Uche2nna

Not so, it's just the sad reality of where NIGERIA has found herself. The boys could easily have won VENEZUELA and played a draw against SPAIN. But things didn't work out that way. Again, TAHITI came out to frustrate NIGERIA. Puting 11 men behind the ball and tackling our boys mercilessly. There were several appeals for penalty that the referee turned down. Given this scenario, NIGERIA can only do so much.

My greater concern though is that a team that played so well against SPAIN and VENEZUELA should not be going home this early. Granted, the game against TAHITI was woeful, but in her previous two matches NIGERIA had played so well and dominated her opponents. The goals just refused to follow her performance, and her opponents capitalised on her defensive failings.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by sley4life(m): 8:43pm On Oct 01, 2009
we'll go through
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by sley4life(m): 8:44pm On Oct 01, 2009
But we played less impressive in the 2nd half.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by unite4real: 8:45pm On Oct 01, 2009
Na so so permutation we sabi for 9ja? if this , if that, Lets just enjoy the matches and forget about all the chances we have thrown away. Why didn't the boys beat Venezuela or at least a draw and rest all this speculations about other teams slipping. Abeg me i don go to watch Egypt match.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by WarfyBoy(m): 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2009
those boys fall siasia hand finish, c how many chances wey dem miss,

King Osanga was the major prob. He is a good baller no doubt, but he missed most chances than any other player

We could have scored up to 15 goals in that match. with the way they played u could c that siasia did a good job, but the players are the major problem, how person go c net as d net wide reach  play ball enter corner??

I kno pray make we qualify at all. those crawling eagles have to learn their lessons. they must kom back home on monday

I LOVE SIA
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Uche2nna(m): 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2009
TexMex:

@ Uche2nna

The goals just refused to follow her performance, and her opponents capitalised on her defensive failings.

IMO, any team that has a weak defense and lame attack should have no business playing footy.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by bandely(m): 8:52pm On Oct 01, 2009
Uche2nna:

I like the BBC headline

Flying Eagles win and wait grin
LMAO at the healdine.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by cvibe: 8:52pm On Oct 01, 2009
The 2nd half was not impressive at all.

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Davedavy: 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2009
Goal for Egypt!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by koolchicco: 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2009
Egypt 1 - 0 Italy.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Bolernlay(m): 8:56pm On Oct 01, 2009
i'm so disappointed with those guyz
venezuela and spain beat taihiti 11 against 11-8 nil
11 against 9, i was expecting nigeria to beat them like 20 nil, so disappointed sad
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Davedavy: 8:59pm On Oct 01, 2009
Egypt 1-Italy 1
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Sagamite(m): 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2009
Sagamite:

The whole goal difference thing does not matter any more as any team that could currently end up on 3 points (bar Uzbekistan and England) will automatically have poorer goal difference than us if they lose and end up on 3 points.

For Uzbekistan to be able to beat +2, then they have to win England by 7 goals.

For England to be able to beat +2, then they have to win Uzbekistan by 8 goals.

Neither is going to happen.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by koolchicco: 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2009
Egypt 1 - 1 Italy.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Yemming(m): 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2009
ITALY 1-1 EGYPT,

DIS FE DON TURN PERSON TO MATHEMATICIAN OOO
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by TexMex: 9:05pm On Oct 01, 2009
@ SAGAMITE

Please I don't understand you. UZBEKISTAN and ENGLAND are already on their way home (no doubt about that). The third placed teams presently are NIGERIA, EGYPT, CAMEROUN , COSTA-RICA and HUNGARY. One of this will have to drop out. Who will it be? That's where the goals difference comes in.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Borat1: 9:08pm On Oct 01, 2009
Its alright to be optimistic at this point. . .
Like it or not, those boys are through
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by noblec1(m): 9:11pm On Oct 01, 2009
Nigeria are through to next round to meet winner bw Ghana vs Uruguay
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Sagamite(m): 9:12pm On Oct 01, 2009
TexMex:

@ SAGAMITE

Please I don't understand you. UZBEKISTAN and ENGLAND are already on their way home (no doubt about that). The third placed teams presently are NIGERIA, EGYPT, CAMEROUN , COSTA-RICA and HUNGARY. One of this will have to drop out. Who will it be? That's where the goals difference comes in.

That is why I said neither would happen.

But mathematically they are not out yet, e.g. if England should beat Uzbek 10-0, then they will be above the pecking order before Nigeria. It just would not happen.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by Yemming(m): 9:14pm On Oct 01, 2009
noble c.:

Nigeria are through to next round to meet winner bw Ghana vs Uruguay

can u explain how? please
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by TexMex: 9:14pm On Oct 01, 2009
@ ~Borat~

The way you used the word 'through' is ambiguous and open to misinterpretation. Are you saying the Flying Eagles are through with the tournament (in which case, they are coming back home) or they are through to the round of 16 (in which case, we qualify for the next stage)? Please clarify cos it's always a joy to understand what each person means.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti (5-0) Thursday 1 October 2009 by txxxed(m): 9:15pm On Oct 01, 2009
They didn't score as many goals as we all tot they would, but at least they went from 0 to 5 today, and that was important.
They just lack believe in front of goal.
Regarding our qualification for the second round,i think  we are there. Check out the tables here, http://gamegist.com/2009/10/01/under-20-world-cup-nigerias-nervy-wait/

Happy Independence Anniversary.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply)

Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Egypt / Nicolas Pepe To Have Medical At Arsenal THIS Week As The Deal Is Agreed (sky) / Ahmed Musa Scores To Rescue Leicester City, As Fans Congratulate Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.