Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This (85527 Views)

Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR / I Planned Travel To China For Studies. / Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by mctowel01: 5:48am On Sep 04, 2016
kilo4sure:
Just sent you a pm boss.
Check your mail
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by curlybelly2164: 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2016
shinarambo1:
it all depends. I wont be a citizen of canada today if not for my UK masters degree. So many of my friends took up citinzinship in Australia too. Our MSc from the UK gave us high scores in immigration programs of those countries.

What masters did you study in the UK and how did you get Canadian citizenship?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by curlybelly2164: 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2016
bikat:

Yes that's true, UK masters are well respected but you will be kicked out as soon as your done so why not go to places that will allow you to stay while also gaining a well respected degree from that country.

Your argument is a lil different from mine. Yes UK degrees are well respected as are degrees from Canada, US etc. My point is that the immigration policies are not WELCOMING, simple point. I like to talk with Statistics, how many people get a job as soon as they finish their studies - very very few. From my experience, the longer you stay, the more you understand the system. So you will discover that those who have stayed for years will go on to obtain professional certifications, training etc that makes you more employable. I even know people who started working as volunteers and interns after their studies and with those extra experiences they got jobs.

Bros, I am so such of what I am saying, is it not better to go to a country where you can get a degree and a stay instead of a place where you will be required to leave after graduation? With a UK degree, u will still need years of proven work experience, the right age, good IELTS score etc in order to be eligible for Canadian immigration. Trust me on this one. Thanks

So are you saying that Canada is not a good place to study if you want to stay & work? Which countries would be better then?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by bikat: 8:49pm On Oct 10, 2016
curlybelly2164:

So are you saying that Canada is not a good place to study if you want to stay & work? Which countries would be better then?

No, I said UK, is not a good place to study if you wish to stay back and work. Canada is very good for that, if you read through the tread you will see a list of countries.

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 10, 2016
curlybelly2164:

What masters did you study in the UK and how did you get Canadian citizenship?
It's in Engineering. I would say my case is that of luck meets opportunity. I came in as a permanent residence(federal skilled workers program) as my occupation was in demand in Canada. The processing time for UK resident was very fast back then (mine took less than 9months). I got citizenship after 3 years as a PR, it has now recently been changed to 4 years.

Note: I applied for MSc for the same program in Canada but was denied admissions by two schools, and all i got were pg cert/dip which really meant nothing to me as I had a good degree. Even some of my friends cgpa's close to a first class were denied admissions too. Canada has few universities and specialization, so they are hard to get into unlike UK universities.

While my employer in the UK could not sponsor a 3-5 years work permit after the expiry of my international engineering graduate work permit, I had some friends that were lucky as their employers sponsored them, and all now have either indefinite leave to remain or citizenship in the UK.

My UK degree greatly reduced my workload in the regulatory exams here in Canada to enter my practice. Some exams were waived. That is because UK degrees are very much respected in Canada or Australia. (I had friends that moved there too).

Life is funny. I have met Nigerians here that came in to Canada for post graduate certificate/dip program as far back as 2010, and they still don't have citizenship. They keep jumping from one academic program to another to maintain status. When they realize I came in direct PR from a different country, they are always surprised.

Bottom line. It's best if you can get admissions into a masters program in Canada. Even though PR is not guaranteed anymore as immigration rules have changed with time (became tighter). One may still have a shot at it.

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by lobito007(m): 10:41pm On Oct 10, 2016
shinarambo1:

It's in Engineering. I would say my case is that of luck meets opportunity. I came in as a permanent residence(federal skilled workers program) as my occupation was in demand in Canada. I got citizenship after 3 years as a PR, it has now recently been changed to 4 years.

Note: I applied for MSc for the same program in Canada but was denied admissions by two schools, and all i got were pg cert/dip which really meant nothing to me as I had a good degree. Even some of my friends cgpa's close to a first class were denied admissions too. Canada has few universities and specialization, so they are hard to get into unlike UK universities.

While my employer in the UK could not sponsor a 3-5 years work permit after the expiry of my international engineering graduate work permit, I had some friends that were lucky as their employers sponsored them, and all now have either indefinite leave to remain or citizenship in the UK.

My UK degree greatly reduced my workload in the regulatory exams here in Canada to enter my practice. That is because UK degrees are very much respected in Canada or Australia. (I had friends that moved there too).

Life is very funny. I have met Nigerians here that came in for post graduate certificate/dip program as far back as 2010, and they still don't have citizenship. They keep jumping from one academic program to another to maintain status. When they realize I came in direct PR from a different country, they are always surprised.
What engineering course did you study, sir? So, in essence, your student job experience was enough for you to be selected in the express entry program?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 11, 2016
lobito007:

What engineering course did you study, sir? So, in essence, your student job experience was enough for you to be selected in the express entry program?
Nope. I had just over 2 years in Nigeria, plus another 1 year in the UK. It's Electrical, but I have a Pharmacist friend that applied at the same time I did. All he had was a pre-Nysc 1 year internship and 1 year NYSC experience from Nigeria+a Uk msc degree.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by BeingGabriel: 7:03pm On Oct 11, 2016
Quite an interesting read, I must say. But no mention was made of the 12 months period you mentioned. Plus, why is the 4 months short period complaint prevalent among the grads?

dustydee:
Here's something worth reading. I hear people say the UK gives you only 4 months to look for a job when in fact it is 12 months + additional 4 months after your studies.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-job-opportunities-for-Indian-students-after-doing-a-postgraduate-degree-from-the-UK
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by BeingGabriel: 7:18pm On Oct 11, 2016
Hello @shinarambo1, you seem to be spot-on, I guess. Just a little question, did u recently win the express entry slot? And how has it been thus far?
shinarambo1:

Nope. I had just over 2 years in Nigeria, plus another 1 year in the UK. It's Electrical, but I have a Pharmacist friend that applied at the same time I did. All he had was a pre-Nysc 1 year internship and 1 year NYSC experience from Nigeria+a Uk msc degree.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 1:57am On Oct 12, 2016
BeingGabriel:
Hello @shinarambo1, you seem to be spot-on, I guess. Just a little question, did u recently win the express entry slot? And how has it been thus far?
No i came here through the federal skilled workers program towards the end of the last decade. I have just one friend that came through express entry so far. He came from the US after the completion of his msc in public health at havard uni and he took up a research job in ontario 3months ago. He was formerlly a medical doc from Nigeria. Nigerians are doing well here. Alot of engineers, docs, pharms, accountants e.t.c My family doc is a Nigerian. Over 50% of the doctors in the city i work outside my home provinvee are nigerians. We havent penetrated here like the UK, but we would eventually get there just like the indians here. I would still advise anyone hoping of studying abroad to consider canada, australia or the US. If that fails, then they can try elsewhere. Success would find you anywhere if you are good. That is my philosophy of life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by dustydee: 11:37am On Oct 12, 2016
BeingGabriel:
Quite an interesting read, I must say. But no mention was made of the 12 months period you mentioned. Plus, why is the 4 months short period complaint prevalent among the grads?

The 12 months includes your study period. You usually get around 16 months student visa.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by curlybelly2164: 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2016
shinarambo1:

It's in Engineering. I would say my case is that of luck meets opportunity. I came in as a permanent residence(federal skilled workers program) as my occupation was in demand in Canada. The processing time for UK resident was very fast back then (mine took less than 9months). I got citizenship after 3 years as a PR, it has now recently been changed to 4 years.

My UK degree greatly reduced my workload in the regulatory exams here in Canada to enter my practice. Some exams were waived. That is because UK degrees are very much respected in Canada or Australia. (I had friends that moved there too).

Life is funny. I have met Nigerians here that came in to Canada for post graduate certificate/dip program as far back as 2010, and they still don't have citizenship. They keep jumping from one academic program to another to maintain status. When they realize I came in direct PR from a different country, they are always surprised.

Bottom line. It's best if you can get admissions into a masters program in Canada. Even though PR is not guaranteed anymore as immigration rules have changed with time (became tighter). One may still have a shot at it.

Thanks so much for the info depth reply. The information is really helpful.
Did you have a job offer in Canada when you applied for the Federal Skilled Workers Program?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 12, 2016
curlybelly2164:

Thanks so much for the info depth reply. The information is really helpful.
Did you have a job offer in Canada when you applied for the Federal Skilled Workers Program?
No. i just did not want to go back to naija. I applied to australia too, but pulled cancelled my app when i got called for medicals by canada.

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by BeingGabriel: 9:11am On Oct 17, 2016
You have spoken well again!

shinarambo1:

No i came here through the federal skilled workers program towards the end of the last decade. I have just one friend that came through express entry so far. He came from the US after the completion of his msc in public health at havard uni and he took up a research job in ontario 3months ago. He was formerlly a medical doc from Nigeria. Nigerians are doing well here. Alot of engineers, docs, pharms, accountants e.t.c My family doc is a Nigerian. Over 50% of the doctors in the city i work outside my home provinvee are nigerians. We havent penetrated here like the UK, but we would eventually get there just like the indians here. I would still advise anyone hoping of studying abroad to consider canada, australia or the US. If that fails, then they can try elsewhere. Success would find you anywhere if you are good. That is my philosophy of life.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by maternal: 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2016
shinarambo1:

You're story mirrors my cousins who just came 4 months ago from the UK. I've met alot of students from the UK who came here through that program.

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by chaiks: 3:08pm On Sep 10, 2017
bikat:
Yes o, don't be ignorant. My good friend lives in Finland and he's doing well. People should go to countries that can allow them stay back..
wow.that's gud.please how's life in Finland interns of job and getting citizenship? my cousin intends to put in an app for MSC there this year.besides do u think its easier to move to other big countries after two yrs stay in Finland?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by bikat: 3:16pm On Sep 10, 2017
chaiks:
wow.that's gud.please how's life in Finland interns of job and getting citizenship? my cousin intends to put in an app for MSC there this year.besides do u think its easier to move to other big countries after two yrs stay in Finland?

If tuition is free in his intended school then good, otherwise go to CANADA, AUSTRIALIA, US, NEW ZEALAND, GERMANY and others, these countries will give you further leave to remain after your studies. Finland is way way better than the UK apart from the language barrier which you can overcome with time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2017
bikat:

If tuition is free in his intended school then good, otherwise go to CANADA, AUSTRIALIA, US, NEW ZEALAND, GERMANY and others, these countries will give you further leave to remain after your studies. Finland is way way better than the UK apart from the language barrier which you can overcome with time.
How can you say Finland is way way better? Finland's economy is currently in recession. Take note and the tuition fees are high for non-Europeans.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by chaiks: 8:44pm On Sep 10, 2017
bikat:

tnks bro for ur input.tuition is not free but he expects to get a scholarship due to his grades.for d language, he I'll v to cope with that.he would v gone to other countries you mentioned but he expects to move from Finland to Canada for a PhD if all things work out.thanks again.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by chaiks: 8:46pm On Sep 10, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

How can you say Finland is way way better? Finland's economy is currently in recession. Take note and the tuition fees are high for non-Europeans.
recession?please does dat mean one I'll find it hard to secure small work?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by bikat: 9:43pm On Sep 10, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

You can get a job there BUT THE TRUTH IS IF TUITION IS NOT FREE, then the person should choose any other country instead
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by bikat: 9:45pm On Sep 10, 2017
chaiks:
recession?please does dat mean one I'll find it hard to secure small work?

Nah, you will definitely get a job
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by justwise(m): 5:39am On Sep 11, 2017
bikat:

In what way?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by lexyril: 6:10am On Sep 11, 2017
Pple should stop deceiving themselves, if Finland is way better than Uk, why are loads of Finland ppl with degrees full UK? If I will say, UK is the most generous country in the past when it comes to becoming a citizen but pple misused the opportunities by not going to school, doin fraud and stuffs. The highest number of ppl into fraud and other dirty stuffs in uk is Black and these ppl need to protect their country against all these and the only way they could do this is to tighten their borders. I came into UK as a student in 2009 and today I am a citizen and I know lots of students tht become citizens thru the study route too. I will forever be grateful to the warm opportunity maami iya Charlie gave us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 11, 2017
lexyril:
Pple should stop deceiving themselves, if Finland is way better than Uk, why are loads of Finland ppl with degrees full UK? If I will say, UK is the most generous country in the past when it comes to becoming a citizen but pple misused the opportunities by not going to school, doin fraud and stuffs. The highest number of ppl into fraud and other dirty stuffs in uk is Black and these ppl need to protect their country against all these and the only way they could do this is to tighten their borders. I came into UK as a student in 2009 and today I am a citizen and I know lots of students tht become citizens thru the study route too. I will forever be grateful to the warm opportunity maami iya Charlie gave us.
That doesn't tell the full picture because a lot of UK citizens are fleeing to Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I know someone who left the Uk to Sweden who said the Swedish environment was far superior to that of Uk in terms of quality of living, jobs for immigrants, infrastructure, and even child support.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by lexyril: 8:37am On Sep 11, 2017
Yes ppl migrate to other countries with lesser policy on immigrant now becos things are getting tougher nd benefits are been reduced and mostly becos of the Brexit. The cost of living is getting higher nd the population of ppl is far more than the jobs available. Give these countries u just mentioned some years frm now nd see wht will happen to their immigration policy becos uk was once like them before now but the more ppl come in, the tighter immigration policies become.

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by claremont(m): 10:54am On Sep 11, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

That doesn't tell the full picture because a lot of UK citizens are fleeing to Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I know someone who left the Uk to Sweden who said the Swedish environment was far superior to that of Uk in terms of quality of living, jobs for immigrants, infrastructure, and even child support.

Comparing Sweden with the UK is like apples and oranges. Sweden has one of the highest tax rate in the world, the population diversity and demographics of the population of Sweden is different from that of the UK. Sweden is also a much more socialist country as compared to the UK. I don't think it's wise to say that Sweden is ''far superior'' to the UK, they operate a completely different system from ours.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by bikat: 12:36am On Feb 19, 2018
This ad is still valid

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 25, 2018
Just got a scholarship in U.K, will they allow me stay back and work? Or are things still tight
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by SOPWriter: 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2019
bikat:
I have observed that a lot of Nigerians are ignorant of some basic facts about the UK before choosing to study here. I have met so many people whose desire is to stay back in the country for a few years before returning to Nigeria. However, they get disappointed when on arrival they discover that there are no immigration programmes designed to keep them in the country beyond their studies. Hence I thought I should educate us a little just so that you ahead of time. I have been in the UK for 7 years so I am speaking from experience.

The UK is a lovely country, people here are respectful, you will get on with little or no problems at all. However, IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY to study abroad and IF YOUR INTENTIONS are to stay back to work for a few years before returning to your country. THEN THE UK is a wrong choice. During the Labour government students were allowed to stay back for two years after graduation but the Conservative Party (currently in Gov) is heavily ANTI IMMIGRATION. Therefore YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO LEAVE THE UK AS SOON AS YOU GRADUATE except you get married or get certain types of jobs (Trust me, YOU WONT GET THOSE JOBS within ONE YEAR), you will be kicked out of the country. ONLY students whose primary intentions are to study and go back to their jobs, husband, rich parents, wife or other commitments should come to the UK for studies. THE UK IS VERY SENSITIVE TO IMMIGRATION RIGHT NOW. they don't want IMMIGRANTS in the country anymore.

For those who want to stay back and work for some years after graduation, you SHOULD go to CANADA, USA, SELECTED EU COUNTRIES, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND and others. These countries have immigration programmes to allow you stay back in their countries before returning to NIGERIA, if you want to.

Please note that I am not discouraging people from coming to the UK, as far as I am concern, the UK is a friendly country with good human right. You will love it here but just beware that they are no longer VERY WELCOMING TO IMMIGRANTS. I think they are tired of people coming to their country, it is a good place to study if all you are after is the certificate. However, from my recent experience with Nigerian students (always trying to stay back to no avail) I just thought you should know that there are other countries out there that support or have immigration programmes to support ex students who wants to stay back in their country. [b][/b]

Lot of people are ignorant of this and it's a good thing you shared.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by popplm(m): 8:07pm On Aug 03, 2019
SOPWriter:

Lots of people are ignorant of this and it's a good thing you wrote this!
but I think they are considering adjustment on their immigration policy on tier4 student Visa. I saw jo Johnson tweet of bringing back the post study policy after brexit.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Amount Of Sand Removed From Gutter In Akwa Ibom / Pictures From Owerri Bicycle Street Ride (photo) / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.