Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make (2912 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Three Friends And Their Careers: The Grammatical Errors At Back Of A Story Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by ItuExchange(m): 12:49am On Aug 28, 2016
This kind of grammatical error is common among Yoruba-speaking people. This is not a racist post. I’m also Yoruba. My mom was born in Owu, Abeokuta, and my dad was born in Iwo, Osun State.

I see that those who’re believed to be educated, genteel or religious leaders are perpetrating these shameful grammatical mistakes, thus leading their followers and fans to think what they’re saying are correct. It’s a pity that many people don’t know that grammatical errors abound in local languages as well.

Here are some examples:

1. A dupe fun Olorun (They mean “We thank God”, but it means “We thank for God”)

You can’t “Dupe fun Olorun.” Since that means someone has done a favor to God and you’re thanking the person indirectly on behalf of God.

The correct statement is: “A dupe lowo Olorun” or “A dupe lodo Olorun. The translation is obvious.

2. Another error: “Orun yio gbo adura re.” (They want to say “May God hear your prayer,” but they inadvertently say, “May heaven hear your prayer”).

The fact is that heaven is not God. Heaven is simply a place where God dwells. Like Alafin who dwells in Oyo. Someone who lives in a place can grant your request, not the place itself. It’s only a mental problem that would make someone send a request to Oyo, when they mean Alafin himself. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why some prayers don’t make any sense.

It’s better to say: Olorun yio gbo adura re. Olorun yio da si oro re. In these contexts, “Olorun” is the replacement for “Orun” which is an error.

3. Another error: Nipa ife Olugbala, ki yio si nkan.” (They want to say, “By the love of the Savoir, there will be no evil,” but the unknowingly say: “By the love of the Savior, there will be nothing”).

“Nkan” in Yoruba means “something,” or “anything.” It can be money, peace, house, progress, success, Holy Spirit, etc. It can be death, penury, failure, disease, etc.

Why can’t these Yoruba people clarify what they don’t want, rather that cursing themselves inadvertently? If you tell them to learn Yoruba properly or teach their children properly, they’ll say they don’t need that. Yet, what they speak is utter rubbish.

More examples are coming.

- Contributed by professor A. A Bello

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by vroom(m): 3:36am On Aug 28, 2016
I can bet it that u aren't what u claim u are, if truly u are from Yoruba land, u will know the the real meaning of all these things u mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by babyfaceafrica: 7:18am On Aug 28, 2016
OP,you are not that well..I even doubt you are Yoruba.you are engaging in what we call transliteration.Language is not like that...your orthography is even archaic...what is yio,what is nkan?...the orthorgraphy you are using is outdated.go to bed abeg
Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by lebienconnu: 9:23am On Aug 28, 2016
Just one word for you. Keep away from Oshogbo weed.
Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by Toluwani113: 9:39am On Aug 28, 2016
SMH for Op!

Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by urpee28(m): 12:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
Extremely poor submission I doubt you really understand yoruba language
ItuExchange:
This kind of grammatical error is common among Yoruba-speaking people. This is not a racist post. I’m also Yoruba. My mom was born in Owu, Abeokuta, and my dad was born in Iwo, Osun State.

I see that those who’re believed to be educated, genteel or religious leaders are perpetrating these shameful grammatical mistakes, thus leading their followers and fans to think what they’re saying are correct. It’s a pity that many people don’t know that grammatical errors abound in local languages as well.

Here are some examples:

1. A dupe fun Olorun (They mean “We thank God”, but it means “We thank for God”)

You can’t “Dupe fun Olorun.” Since that means someone has done a favor to God and you’re thanking the person indirectly on behalf of God.

The correct statement is: “A dupe lowo Olorun” or “A dupe lodo Olorun. The translation is obvious.

2. Another error: “Orun yio gbo adura re.” (They want to say “May God hear your prayer,” but they inadvertently say, “May heaven hear your prayer”).

The fact is that heaven is not God. Heaven is simply a place where God dwells. Like Alafin who dwells in Oyo. Someone who lives in a place can grant your request, not the place itself. It’s only a mental problem that would make someone send a request to Oyo, when they mean Alafin himself. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why some prayers don’t make any sense.

It’s better to say: Olorun yio gbo adura re. Olorun yio da si oro re. In these contexts, “Olorun” is the replacement for “Orun” which is an error.

3. Another error: Nipa ife Olugbala, ki yio si nkan.” (They want to say, “By the love of the Savoir, there will be no evil,” but the unknowingly say: “By the love of the Savior, there will be nothing”).

“Nkan” in Yoruba means “something,” or “anything.” It can be money, peace, house, progress, success, Holy Spirit, etc. It can be death, penury, failure, disease, etc.

Why can’t these Yoruba people clarify what they don’t want, rather that cursing themselves inadvertently? If you tell them to learn Yoruba properly or teach their children properly, they’ll say they don’t need that. Yet, what they speak is utter rubbish.

More examples are coming.

- Contributed by professor A. A Bello

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by ituglobal(m): 3:29pm On Aug 29, 2016
There you are. People always criticize when someone says what goes contrary to the way they tend to think (unless the person says what they want to hear). A professor puts out his own opinions based on his research and finding... and some intolerant people bad-mouth him.
Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by DerKlassiker: 6:36pm On Aug 29, 2016
Cc: Fynestboi Richiez Olawalebabs. Push this to frontpage to get more views
Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 29, 2016
@ Op you need proper understanding of yoruba words before going into translation. You don't translate directly, doesn't work that way.

Anyway Adupe fun olorun simply mean Giving thanks to God.

Adupe means Thanks
Fun means Give
Olorun means God

@ ops you need more reading than playing
Re: Ignorant Grammatical Errors Most Yoruba People Make by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2016
ituglobal:
There you are. People always criticize when someone says what goes contrary to the way they tend to think (unless the person says what they want to hear). A professor puts out his own opinions based on his research and finding... and some intolerant people bad-mouth him.

No one is bad mouthing anyone. The research is not valid and by posting it can mislead many peeps.
If he is certain about his write up let him provide a concrete reason or reasons.

In project defence you see a lot of lecturers badmouthing your presentation but it is left for you to defend it and convince them adequately.

The world is occupied with a lot of reasonable and unreasonable people so just watch and learn

(1) (Reply)

Can UNN Admit A 15 Years Old Candidate? / Let See Who Can Solve This Simple Mathematics / Motivational Pictures To Help You Maximise 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.