Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? (1921 Views)

How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 1:27am On Aug 28, 2016
Honestly, I'm really confused cos the Holy book made it clear that two places exist after death which are "HEAVEN" & "HELL"...

So the question is, where is it mentioned in the bible that Purgatory does exists and that souls must suffer for their sins first in purgatory before entering Heaven or Hell??undecided

Note: The purpose of this thread isn't to go against any doctrine or condemn any church, bt simply to be clarified on this issue....Happy Sunday everyone!
PEACE!!!
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by IMASTEX: 1:31am On Aug 28, 2016
Just their doctrinal believe

1 Like

Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by AroOkigbo(m): 1:40am On Aug 28, 2016
Just like the word- Trinity, Purgatory is not mentioned in the Bible but implied.

“Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.” Luke 12:59 (see also, Matthew 5:26)

“Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from sin (Catholic bible, 2 Maccabees 12:46)

Always pray for the dead

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by talktonase(m): 1:47am On Aug 28, 2016
Dogmas created by the church to make people believe that money has a way of atoning for mans sin...you no see say nah the catholic church get money pass any religious body for the entire world.
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by orisa37: 6:02am On Aug 28, 2016
Your mouth is insulting. You shall experience Purgatory tonight.
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by nkwachiabel(m): 6:52am On Aug 28, 2016
AroOkigbo:
Just like the word- Trinity, Purgatory is not mentioned in the Bible but implied.

“Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.” Luke 12:59 (see also, Matthew 5:26)

“Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from sin (Catholic bible, 2 Maccabees 12:46)

Always pray for the dead

54 He also said to the multitudes, "When you see a cloud rising in the west, you say at once, `A shower is coming'; and so it happens. 55 And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, `There will be scorching heat'; and it happens. 56 You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky; but why do you not know how to interpret the present time? 57 "And why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?58 As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison. 59 I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper."

Boss. You cannot pick only one sentence of the bible and use it to convey a message. This part of the bible talks abt using good judgement in what we do. Same with Matthew 5:21-26. That talks abt anger. Looked @ 2Maccabees 12, it stopped @ verse 45.
Not trying to be insultive ooo. Just my point of view
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 7:29am On Aug 28, 2016
AroOkigbo:

Always pray for the dead

Hmmmm... ButJesus Christ already paid an atonement for sin from the beginning... Why then must a believer suffer for his sins and probably still end up going to hell at the long run?.... cos to me, if truly purgatory does exists, then no soul is meant to be in hell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 7:30am On Aug 28, 2016
talktonase:
Dogmas created by the church to make people believe that money has a way of atoning for mans sin...you no see say nah the catholic church get money pass any religious body for the entire world.

Lol..
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 7:41am On Aug 28, 2016
orisa37:
Your mouth is insulting. You shall experience Purgatory tonight.

For it has been written, I shall not die young bt live to declare the good works of God in my life...therefore, ur wish for me can never come to pass brogringringringrin..Take it or leave it!!

Guess ur level of understanding is low was why u took d statement personal...bt guess what, ur words or anything can't ruin my Sunday already cos its been blessed dear.....
And pls keep off my mentions if u have nothing useful to contribute...Peace!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by Tallesty1(m): 8:05am On Aug 28, 2016
Because most their practices/doctrines and beliefs have pagan origin
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by oaroloye(m): 8:19am On Aug 28, 2016
Extensive Brainwashing from Infancy.

But you are WRONG: THE BIBLE gives FOUR AfterLife Retirement Destinations!

HELL, ABRAHAM'S BOSOM, HEAVEN, and THE LAKE-OF-FIRE.

Most Sinners cannot even go to HELL- their Souls are DESTROYED shortly after they die.

[See my Blog: WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DIE ]
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by nkwachiabel(m): 8:23am On Aug 28, 2016
oaroloye:
Extensive Brainwashing from Infancy.

But you are WRONG: THE BIBLE gives FOUR AfterLife Retirement Destinations!

HELL, ABRAHAM'S BOSOM, HEAVEN, and THE LAKE-OF-FIRE.

Most Sinners cannot even go to HELL- their Souls are DESTROYED shortly after they die.

[See my Blog: WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DIE ]

Pls what's d difference btw he'll and lake of fire?
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by crackhouse(m): 8:39am On Aug 28, 2016
Just commenting for the sake of front page.
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by orisa37: 7:25pm On Aug 28, 2016
I'm sorry. Remain blessed.
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by Blessedan: 9:05pm On Nov 09, 2016
A very interesting question. I am not convinced with the replies here. Pls any well versed Catholic should come over to lecture about this purgatory.
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by Wilgrea7(m): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2016
no one has the right (at least for now) to say that the doctrine of purgatory is false.. I'm not a Roman Catholic and i don't subscribe to the doctrine... but before u can prove that the doctrine of purgatory is false, you need to first read all the books ur Martin Luther called apocryphal.. then read the hidden scrolls in the Roman Catholic library... if you've done such and can still prove that the doctrine of purgatory is false, then I'll listen to anything you have to say.. but till then, don't portray ignorance...
no matter what... even your doctrines of hell and heaven.... its what you believe.... you don't know... you only believe

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 10, 2016
Good one. Martin Luther's descendants know nothing about him or how the doctrines they have come to believe came about in the first place.

OP go ask the Catholics what they believe about purgatory and they would tell you and how your bible, the one you know came to be in the first place. Easier is to use the internet. While you are at it explain 2 Tim 1:18

Orthodox Jews pray for their dead, so when and from who did the reformed and modern Christians learn to forbid such prayers if Christianity originated from Judaism?

Wilgrea7:
no one has the right (at least for now) to say that the doctrine of purgatory is false.. I'm not a Roman Catholic and i don't subscribe to the doctrine... but before u can prove that the doctrine of purgatory is false, you need to first read all the books ur Martin Luther called apocryphal.. and why he declared them as forbidden then read the hidden scrolls in the Roman Catholic library... if you've done such and can still prove that the doctrine of purgatory is false, then I'll listen to anything you have to say.. but till then, don't portray ignorance...
no matter what... even your doctrines of hell and heaven.... its what you believe.... you don't know... you only believe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by sonmvayina(m): 8:42am On Nov 10, 2016
There are 2 aspects of sin, the punishment due to the sin and the consequence of that sin. According to the catholics, the sacrifice of jesus only took care of the punishment...the consequence still has to be paid for..e.g if i broke my neigbours window, i will have to bear whatever punishment he has to give me and i will still replace it..but if he forgives me , i will still hsve to replace the window. those that die without paying for the consequence go to purgatory even when the sin has been forgiven..
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by Cavenchy(m): 1:53pm On Dec 02, 2016
Martin Luther followers have a 66 book bible which only 500 years ago, he(Martin) reduced from the 73 that were previously existing prior to the time. Then he created the Sola Scriptura (Bible Alone) theory after he had reduced the books asking all his followers to believe in his reduced version of the bible and nothing else (That explains why a lot of protestants today want to see what colour of shoes jesus wore in the bible before believing anything). He(Martin) even tried to remove the book of James and Revelation and some others because they were contrary to his Sola Fide (Faith Alone) and Sola Gratia (Grace alone) theories which were erroneously-biased summaries of Paul's Epistles. Dont take my word for it, we are in a digital world now, history is easily accessible online, do your research and know your history. James says Faith without works is dead, James was an actual disciple adding clarity to the somewhat intellectual write ups of Paul who never meant to say works were unnecessary but many who arent divinely inspired capitalise on his words to assume works are irrelevant (like Martin).

Now about Purgatory, it isnt a final destination that is why it is not explicitly stated as a noun in the bible, it is a purification process, borne out of God's mercy. Lets explain it this way, God is a merciful God, indeed he is, but he is also a God of Justice. Nothing unclean can enter heaven. Many people roam the earth today with many soul flaws, sin damages your soul, it makes one unclean. Some sins enslave people and thats why they keep falling back to the sin. When cheating in business has become part of people's lives, womanising and envy, stealing or some other form of vice like drugs, it becomes a big scar on the soul. If such a person asks God for forgiveness, God forgives but is that person truly free from that behavioural disorder? He or she still has the tendency to go back to it. This is why penance is important, it helps you rid the body of these behavioural disorders. If God lets a corrupt person into heaven, they would try to steal the gold on the throne or if someone who looks down on people (poor or disabled) gets into heaven they would try to oppress other heavenly citizens. If a harlot or womaniser makes heaven they would try to seduce the angels. God can not permit this. So sinners cant go to heaven.

But if that sinner has sincerely asked for forgiveness, genuinely promises to make a conscious effort to avoid the sin and dies merely running away from the sin than being able to comfortably confront or feel no need for it(sin), it means he/she didnt have time to heal properly and fully overcome the addiction even though the sin was not commited again, God out of his abundant mercy sends such a soul to purgatory to purge what ever tendency remains that they couldnt find time to overcome on earth because they have been forgiven by God's mercy, but still need to be transformed to heavenly beings because a just God would not allow one with that tendency to tempt creatures in heaven at any point in the future. When they have overcome the tendency through purgation, they are then admitted fully into heaven.

That said, if anyone on earth relaxing in their sinful self says "well Jesus has died for me, I will enjoy my flesh and sin as I like, so heaven na sure thing no matter what I do, hell no be my portion, last last e go be purgatory", they might go to hell instead, because God uses the mercy of purgatory to transforms souls that are truly repentant and forgiven and headed to heaven not souls who still have unconfessed sins and willfully revel in their wicked ways unrepentantly expecting to land in purgatory. Purgatory is like a hospital, its not a pleasant place to be, the scar has to be purged and even though its meant for your healing it is a very tough process.

There is a reason God prefers for us not to sin atall, rather than for us to fall and stand back up, but through his mercy he understands we are weak and he provides forgiveness, but He would be even happier if we didnt have to get scars on our soul in the first place because he knows how hard it is for us to overcome the slavery such scars induce in us. That is why prayer is very important. Some people correct this evil tendency on earth either through penance, prayer or God's supernatural intervention. Do not hope for purgatory its not where you want to even stay a minute, Amend your ways while you still have life.

I have made it as simple as I can. But if you need a bible verse (Sola Scripturalists) I will add this to those already mentioned by others on this thread.

1 Cor 3:13-15 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames

This handles paragraphs 2 and 3. And even paragraph 1, because even Paul in his letter to Corinthians here mentions work but Martin Luther ignores these parts and focuses only on Paul's mention of faith in other epistles he wrote. Just to add, do you even realise that every one knows about Angel Raphael but it might interest you to know that the only place the Archangel Raphael was mentioned in the bible is in one of the 7 books martin removed from his 66 book version? the book of Tobith(Tobias). Even the Septaugint had the book and Jews during the time of Jesus would have been familiar with the name of the Angel Raphael. We do today but why is the book excluded in Martin's 66 book bible?

DO NOT BE DECIEVED, CATHOLICS HAVE READ THE BIBLE AND HAD MILENNIALS OF APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION AND TRADITION HANDED DOWN TO THEM SINCE THE TIME OF JESUS, THEY CANT POSSIBLY BE WRONG STARTING ONLY 500 YEARS AGO BECAUSE AN EXCOMMUNICATED PRIEST MARTIN LUTHER MISUNDERSTOOD THINGS THAT WERE DIVINELY INSPIRED AND DECIDED TO CHANGE IT. ASK YOURSELF THIS, WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE SOULS THAT WERE ONLY CATHOLIC FOR 1500 YEARS BEFORE LUTHER? WOULD GOD BE JUST TO HAVE ALLOWED JESUS TO PREACH, HEAL, DIE, SAVE AND RESURRECT ONLY TO SHOW THEM THE TRUE WAY TO WORSHIP 1500 YEARS LATER THROUGH A PROTESTING LUTHER? HE THAT HATH AN EAR LET HIM HEAR.HE THAT HATH EYES........

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by MrCork: 6:31pm On Sep 11, 2017
ShayGirl:
Honestly, I'm really confused cos the Holy book made it clear that two places exist after death which are "HEAVEN" & "HELL"...

So the question is, where is it mentioned in the bible that Purgatory does exists and that souls must suffer for their sins first in purgatory before entering Heaven or Hell??undecided

Note: The purpose of this thread isn't to go against any doctrine or condemn any church, bt simply to be clarified on this issue....Happy Sunday everyone!
PEACE!!!

.. sweeery can I kiss u? cheesy
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 2:37pm On Jan 02, 2020
grin
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 2:37pm On Jan 02, 2020
cool
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 2:38pm On Jan 02, 2020
space booked
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 2:38pm On Jan 02, 2020
tongue
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 2:39pm On Jan 02, 2020
kiss kiss
Re: Why Do Roman Catholics So Much Believe In The Existence Of PURGATORY? by ShayGirl(f): 2:39pm On Jan 02, 2020
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Different Accounts From Different Apostles (bible Verses) / Should Christians Eat Sallah Ram??? / Would You Be A Worse Person Without Your Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.