Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,701 members, 7,827,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment (48839 Views)

Five Nigerian Artistes That Promised Us The Grammy Awards / Five Most Overrated Nigerian Artistes / This X-rated Nigerian Bridal Shower Has Got Everyone Talking(see Stories Here) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by lizzlix(m): 8:10pm On Aug 28, 2016
Donmichaelz:
I might not know d meaning of SUCCESSFUL but one thing i know is,it is Far from you
You don't know me bruh......
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by jayray007: 8:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
Haaahaaahaaa! Mr OP! For u to say Lil-kesh is overrated means u av better songs to sing :-D ......Thou am not one of his fans buh i respect d lil-guy for d effort. He has his audience already whether u lik or not*

See what d guy said: ...."they are singles not an album, I know the kind of market am directing my songs to, am from the streets, I know what the people from the street want to listen to...they should wait for my album that is expected to drop towards the end of the
year. I have very positive songs. "

Let`s just celebrate these guys and leave SENTIMENTx.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Fenzyflames: 8:22pm On Aug 28, 2016
danbrowndmf:
icEprince is equally overrated.
then OLAMIDE overrated
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by zinny377(f): 8:36pm On Aug 28, 2016
Haba Op abeg remove darey and d'banj from that ur list... I really dont know y am feeling that KCEE should have made it to no 1 on dat list.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by ohmeighzah: 8:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
theshaderoom:
The word “overrated” is defined as
“having a higher opinion of someone or something than is deserved.”

After studying the Nigerian music scene, Naijataiment brings you this list of 8 Over-Rated Nigerian Artistes. These artistes, (some old, some new) are often given so much credit, but a closer look at their works will reveal to you that hype outshines talent and acclaim is founded mostly on media exposure and sentiments.

There’s no denying that the following artistes are popular and successful but do they really have the X factor? And even if they do, is it being applied?

After making my observations and opinions (sometimes scathing) known, I'll leave you to decide and probably correct me, if you have a different opinion about these music stars.

cool Darey

Dare Art Alade – popularly known as Darey – is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, and Idol series judge. He is the son of the renowned Nigerian entertainer, Art Alade.

I had high hopes for Darey, really high hope, and my hopes were dashed.

He has an impressive voice but doesn't seem to take chances. Consistently churning out generic and simple tracks that sound like a cover or rip-off some singer's classic album. I don't know if it's because he did someone's cover once but I don't get an originality vibe from Darey. Failed time after time to really deliver.

Timi Dakolo is doing what everyone hoped Darey would do years ago.

7) Seyi Shay

Deborah Oluwaseyi Joshua, (born 21 December 1985), professionally known by her stage name Seyi Shay is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, recording artist and performer.

I have never met this songstress, but I get the diva vibe off this one. Her slew of embarrassing interviews also makes one wonder if there is anything upstairs even though she has quite an impressive musical pedigree.

She can dance a little, has decent vocals and some good songs. That's it! Good, not outstanding enough to be a rave.

6) Mayorkun

Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel, (Born 1994) better known by his Stage Name MAYORKUN is a Nigerian recording artist, songwriter. In 2016, he signed a record deal with Davido's imprint "HKN Gang".

This guy has been in the music industry for a whole 2 minutes, and his boss davido is already trying to make us think he is the next Michael Jackson. I understand the strategy (i really do), and I enjoy his song "Eleko" but we still haven't decided yet if he is not just another "one hit wonder."

Yes, I know about his new song "Yawa," so let's just put an asterisk on his name and give him some years, to see if he doesn't fall into Davido's shadow.

5) Ice Prince

Panshak Zamani (born 23 October 1986), better known by his stage name Ice Prince, is a Nigerian hip hop recording artist and actor.

Ice Prince cannot rap! In fact, he takes the award for someone really really overrated. His "rap" and flow are painfully repetitive and annoying; sounding like someone reciting nursery rhymes. You hear lines like
"dem no dey go front, dem no dey carry last..."
it's embarrassing just writing that.

He is a testimony of good marketing; chocolate city really did well by him.

4) Victoria Kimani

Victoria Kimani (born 28 July 1985), is an American-born Kenyan singer, songwriter, actress and entertainer. She is currently signed to Chocolate City and is described as the record label's first lady.

Well, here goes chocolate city trying to market the hell out of a no-talent-having pretty girl. The Ice Prince marketing worked out fine, but it has been said that thunder doesn't strike in one place twice, and I believe it won't start now.

Please raise your hand if you know or can remember one song by Victoria Kimani. No hands? Exactly!

I fail to see why she is still relevant. Next!

3) D Banj

Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo (born 9 June 1981), known by his stage name D'banj, is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, harmonica player, and entrepreneur.

I never really jumped on the DBanj bandwagon. I believed and still believe he has very little talent and depended heavily on Don Jazzy's production and marketing skills. He went and signed with Good music and made Nigerians very aware of his mediocrity and that was the beginning of the end.

"Bother you" is the ONLY Dbanj song with lyrical content, I stand to be corrected.

2) KCee

Kingsley Chinweike Okonkwo (born 18 April 1979), better known as Kcee (sometimes stylised as KCee), is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. He was formally in the Hip Hop duo group called Kc Presh. He currently has a record deal with Five Star Music.

Wow! I am just impressed at the determination with which he churns out his no-point songs. Kcee hits sparks sometimes, but you can always differentiate between a Kcee written song and a song written by someone talented behind the scenes.

Limpopo, fine face, ogadinma, pull over, love boat, ogbomma, ok, we get it, you are a feminist, and you love beautiful girls, can you find something else to sing about now? I hope you get my point - Generic! Highly overrated. Highly!

AND NUMBER 1 GOES TO....

WAIT FOR IT....

1) Lil Kesh

Keshinro Ololade (born March 14, 1995), popularly known by his stage name Lil Kesh, is a Nigerian singer, rapper, and songwriter.

First, I can't really place this Olamide-wannabe; is he a singer, a rapper or both as his Wikipedia page claims?

Although his songs are catchy, he doesn't have one shred of talent. Not well enough to become as popular as he is, which quickly brings the word "lucky" into this.

If you are a Lil Kesh fan about to come for me in the comment section, please tell me you think
"if your nyash nah jollof rice, I rather eat ofada"
is lyrical genius?

He isn't just overrated, he just sucks. I don't understand Yoruba language that much but from the very little I understand, I know he has a foul mouth and no lyrical content. Always saying something x-rated, senseless and repeating himself. Even Olamide his (former) boss started with some sensible songs.

Please note that am a fan of some of these artistes, and this is not a "hate" list. Tell us who you think should have been included on this list and air your views if you have a contrary opinion.

Source

http://www.naijatainmentxtra.com/2016/08/8-over-rated-nigerian-artistes-by.html

G! You made me laugh!

Bug things
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Ay04z(m): 8:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
I swear down lil kesh na mad goat....singing I wount stop until ti n ba GBE oyan re kaanu.....efejoku mumu tracks....but d banj and darey should be excluded from d list asap....
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by bidak(m): 8:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
I think darey tho doesn't have many hit, he is a great vocalist have some very nice songs like not the girl,Pray for me he is not overrated, dbanj too just like davido doesn't really have good voice but they know how to compose and give people what they want..... I think every other person on the list are truly overrated especially lil kesh the guy songs has wack, nasty lyric and he raps as if he is talking not beefing or hating oo just my opinion
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by ehemwhy(m): 8:47pm On Aug 28, 2016
Darey overrated? Dude, how old are you?
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by aremodtwo(m): 8:50pm On Aug 28, 2016
You made a mistake there! Maryorkun is not signed to HKN, he has the DWM (Davido worldwide music) imprint. You tried but the Bleep up is that Darey and D'banj you mentioned. Did you forgot this guys aren't new in the game? You are comparing them with the day's singer.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by DrayZee: 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2016
HERSLEY:
He might be talented buh his songs are wack and for silly peeps not mature peeps....Oh I mean Lil Kesh
Have you heard Ishe, or Life of a Star?
Listen to em... You'll understand the dude has talent.

Singing wack music are bringing him money, so don't blame him for that.
But he's got talent too. If Nigerians really appreciated such, the Darey would be much more popular than he is.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by donshady(m): 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
skibo robo skibo...
oshey baddest..
they are making their money
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by ladesson(m): 9:02pm On Aug 28, 2016
....pity u ooooo...and u wan succeed by destroying anoda manz work....u must be krzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for all this shit u posted.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by MakaveliTheDon(m): 9:03pm On Aug 28, 2016
freecocoa:
Oliver Twist was not his handiwork alone biko, ever since leaving mohits, what happened?
he sha sang it

Do you think all these beyonce jay z eminem write all their songs alone?
if you dont know i will tell you this michael jackson's popular song YOU ARE NOT ALONE was writing by R kelly.
so dont talk like that you might be a good SINGER and not be a good SONGWRITER
here in Nigeria the only good song writer we have at least sometimes is ASA ..
i think av enlightened more about music bro
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by byvan03: 9:08pm On Aug 28, 2016
Kcee's suit nah dachiii kiss kiss.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by danbrowndmf(m): 9:11pm On Aug 28, 2016
Fenzyflames:
then OLAMIDE overrated
lol. It is laughable. OLAMIDE OVER EVERYBODY IN CHOCOLATE CITY EXCEPT THE ABAGAS. Lil kesh over iceprince sef.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by smartograpy(m): 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2016
Donexy16:
OP, you finished work, buh then D'banj and Darey shouldn't be on that list. No hating, but Lil Kesh and five others are just wack. I try so hard to figure out what message they try to pass with their songs buh all i hear is noise.
go and listen to life of a star,ishe,semilore,i Bleep shit before you come here and write trash about lil kesh.lil kesh has proven that he is a lyric genius to us
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by delors(m): 9:14pm On Aug 28, 2016
You, Mr writer, what is your talent? You are not even known on NL..D'Banj is a worldwide household name. SMH. Failures.

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by AbuMikey(m): 9:15pm On Aug 28, 2016
OfficialAwol:
Virtually all these guys you mentioned here have been profiled by Wikipedia, but you are here busy hating on them and giving them publicity they didn't pay for.

Pray to get where they are, let it be you didn't meet expectations.

#garbage

What is special about being profiled by wikipedia?

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by freecocoa(f): 9:17pm On Aug 28, 2016
MakaveliTheDon:
he sha sang it

Do you think all these beyonce jay z eminem write all their songs alone?
if you dont know i will tell you this michael jackson's popular song YOU ARE NOT ALONE was writing by R kelly.
so dont talk like that you might be a good SINGER and not be a good SONGWRITER
here in Nigeria the only good song writer we have at least sometimes is ASA ..
i think av enlightened more about music bro
You are preaching to the choir mister.

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Irishrena1(f): 9:21pm On Aug 28, 2016
Honestly Zamani just enters the studio and churns out a noise. His songs gat no message, no soul, no spirit, no feeling.
Simply over rated, the result of a beautifully talented marketer

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Albert2016: 9:28pm On Aug 28, 2016
Darey in ur list. ......the list is casted bro.....
Lil kesh should be repeated 5times in that list

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by smartograpy(m): 9:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
Op please i beg of you go and listen to life of a star ishe i Bleep shit and semilore and stop writing derogatory sentence about lil kesh like him or hate him he is the king of good music his songs always motivates.please go and search for the lyrics of the his songs and i bet that you are going to agree that he is not overrated
how many likes for lil kesh?

3 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by omozu1(m): 9:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
Please let my lady be i mean Seyi Shay i like her alot she make sense.
And you that is rating other people how many songs you get?
Try sing one and let rate you.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by kennynikky(m): 9:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
wristbangle:
If a debate happens to confirm all the mentioned artistes to be overrated, I can counter the debate with true facts that Darey is not and can never be overrated.

See as u reduced one of the best R&B star in Nigeria.

Na wa for Op oo sad
real matter, 4 m darey maks top10
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by haryomikun(m): 9:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
goldbim:
D'banj, over rated?? lipsrsealed...stop rough play, abeg..whether we like it or not that guy has gone places and his previous works are still speaking for him till date..maybe he is not as popular as he used to be.,fine but he's not over rated..he has said it himself that he's an entertainer not a musician.
You're talking out of love for him ma'am. He actually is. That's the truth. Whether it's voice or lyrical content.

P.S I love Dbanj a lot. Pass wizkid sef. I just gotta say the truth
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by haryomikun(m): 9:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
OfficialAwol:
Virtually all these guys you mentioned here have been profiled by Wikipedia, but you are here busy hating on them and giving them publicity they didn't pay for.

Pray to get where they are, let it be you didn't meet expectations.

#garbage
So many retards on nairaland... So many....

I doubt they can have sense at their age.

Person clearly fixed 'He's not hating on them' there and you just had to talk stupidity
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by kayo80(m): 10:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
OP, because you don't personally like someone it doesn't mean they are overrated. Remove Seyi Shay and Lil Kesh from the list. They are not overrated in any sense of the word.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by sharlzltd(m): 10:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
he gave his POV, he has a right to it! to me, ice prince abi na rice prince is wack like mad, his lyrics sounds like nursery rhymes.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by kayo80(m): 10:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
Yieldings:
Seyi Shay is not overrated. She can sing well and she plays the piano. I just don't like some of the ragga-ragga songs she puts out. She does have a good voice if you listen to her other songs, like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rUmbNMpy58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG-UEOGUXx0

Don't mind the guy o! How can anyone that knows music say Seyi Shay is overrated. I blame the mods that pushed this to front page solely for the controversial angle, which would generate traffic.
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Caseless: 10:21pm On Aug 28, 2016
4) Victoria Kimani

Victoria Kimani (born 28 July 1985), is an American-born Kenyan singer, songwriter, actress and entertainer. She is currently signed to Chocolate City and is described as the record label's first lady.

Well, here goes chocolate city trying to market the hell out of a no-talent-having pretty girl. The Ice Prince marketing worked out fine, but it has been said that thunder doesn't strike in one place twice, and I believe it won't start now.

Please raise your hand if you know or can remember one song by Victoria Kimani. No hands? Exactly!

I fail to see why she is still relevant. Next!

" show" - Victoria kimani ft tekno
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Habeyy(m): 10:21pm On Aug 28, 2016
goldbim:
D'banj, over rated?? lipsrsealed...stop rough play, abeg..whether we like it or not that guy has gone places and his previous works are still speaking for him till date..maybe he is not as popular as he used to be.,fine but he's not over rated..he has said it himself that he's an entertainer not a musician.
look at you,what are u saying girl...look up the dictionary ...educate ur sef...entertainers or musician...u make me laugh
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by goldbim(f): 10:34pm On Aug 28, 2016
Habeyy:
look at you,what are u saying girl...look up the dictionary ...educate ur sef...entertainers or musician...u make me laugh
i'd rather Ignore your post, sir..do have a pleasant night rest..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Portable Excited As He Witnesses Snow For The First Time In His Life In The U.K / Davido Shows Off His Expensive Cars (photo) / Munachi Abii And Sarah Ofili Show Off BIG Boobies In Bikini's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.