Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

France's Politicisation Of The Burkini - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / France's Politicisation Of The Burkini (525 Views)

France's Politicisation Of The Burkini / Govt Of France Finally Gets Smart; Shuts Down 20 Mosques / Jacques Hamel Killed In France By ISIS Terrorists Who Slit His Throat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

France's Politicisation Of The Burkini by tuk2ato(m): 5:12pm On Aug 28, 2016
While I wake to the cool and serenading morning in this secluded part of the world and after much thinking over the night on what issues of relevance to write about, an idea came to my mind, why not discuss France (yes,France), inspired by the CNN report about the issue of the politicisation of the Burkini or Burqini, which is a swim suit that incorporates the designs of both a Bikini and a Burqa (a face-covering garment/veil for muslim women) as invented by Aheda Zanetti.

France has been in the news for quite some time, albeit for the wrong reasons, for the past two years. From the Charlie Hebdo attacks on the satirical magazine publishers and editors,to the attacks on Bastille day in Nice that claimed many lives, France has had it fair share of terror-related attacks in the past 2 years. These attacks have led France to declare a state of emergency for 3 months and has been recently extended. However, the issue i want to discuss with my esteemed readers (albeit few, cracks a smile) is the ban placed on the Burkini.

France, a country founded on the tripartite values of Liberte, Egalite and Fraternite, which translates as Liberty, Equality and Fraternity. The famous Landmark Statute of Liberty, which is the universal symbol of Freedom and Democracy ,that adorns the Liberty Island of New York gifted to the US by France, sums up the belief of the French in the principles of Democracy and Liberty. That being said, the recent politicisation, ban and crackdown on the use of the burkini, has generated a lot of debate on the use of the Burqini in France. The argument of the French authorities is that the wearing of the Burqini doesn't make fellow citizens of France feel safe. The French authorities also perceive that the wearing of the Burkini will erode the principle of the secularity of its State, but in the light of recent happenings in both Canada and Scotland, where the wearing of the Burqa or face veil has been considered as optional even in their police force, the debate is ' Is France overreacting to the use of the burqini?' 'does the wearing of the Burqini pose a threat to French security, values and freedom'? I guess i will let my esteemed readers and the world at large decide on that. Vive la France! http://yemiatofarati..com.ng/?m=1

(1) (Reply)

Post-election Unrest Persists In Gabon As Police Forces Face Riots / 9 Things Donald Trump Promised He Will Do As US President / Who Is Donald Trump Jr. And His Role In Trump's New Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.