Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,466 members, 7,954,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:10 AM

How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? (1026 Views)

Is Chimamanda Adichie Against Other Nigerian Writers? / Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' / The Thing Around Your Neck - Chimanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by slap1(m): 8:40am On Oct 02, 2009
How Hot Is Chimamanda's New Book?

Has anyone read Chimamanda’s The Things Around Your Neck? How ‘hot’ are the stories in the book? Please let me know, I will be buying them soon.
Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by mac73(m): 4:51pm On Oct 05, 2009
The best stories in the collection are(in no particular order);

1. Cell one.
2. on monday of last week.
3. Arrangers of marriage.
4. The headstrong historian.
5. The Shiver.
6. Jumping monkey hill.
7. The thing around your neck.
8. The American embassy.
9. Tomorrow is too far.

i hope i got the titles right. Note to Chimamanda; we have had a lifetime fill of the following in your works; Nsukka campus, the civil war, ixora flower, strong female characters, lousy male characters. we don't expect to see them in your future works!
Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by spikedcylinder: 4:54pm On Oct 05, 2009
Oh shux. I said I was gonna get the book today. . . .
Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by queenesthr(f): 1:05pm On Oct 06, 2009
I found her first book - Purple Hibiscus- so boring, I don't think I'll bother to read any of her books again.
Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by africhika(f): 3:55pm On Oct 07, 2009
^^ purple hibiscus is not her best work. it's kinda slow and very subtle.
half a yellow sun was much better.
Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by africhika(f): 3:57pm On Oct 07, 2009
quote by mac73

Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'?
« #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:51 AM »

Note to Chimamanda; we have had a lifetime fill of the following in your works; Nsukka campus, the civil war, ixora flower, strong female characters, lousy male characters. we don't expect to see them in your future works!

so are the stories in thing around ur neck pretty much about those tings: nsukka campus, biafra, ixora, etc??
i haven't read it yet.
Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by mbulela: 1:42pm On Oct 10, 2009
i am biased because i have not read any of her books in full (despite having her first two books in my shelf).i have flipped through them and suspect she is over rated and exceedingly hyped.
however, i listened to her NED speech and my respect for her was instant.
i have not seen anyone in a long time use the english language in such concise and powerful manner in a short speech.
in less than 20 mins, she conveyed a universal message in such a simple, condensed and illuminating manner.
or that speech, i respect her.
Re: How Hot Is Chimamanda’s 'The Things Around Your Neck'? by AfroCynic: 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2009
I absolutely love her but I did not think the collection was that exciting to be honest. Half of A Yellow Sun is wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone.

(1) (Reply)

What One Flat backside Said To The Other. / Fate And Wish Of An Ileya Ram -a Poem / My Sallah Ram ( A Short Story )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.