Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,456 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa (23164 Views)

Mayowa Ahmed Of #SaveMayowa Is Dead / Mayowa Ahmed: LUTH Releases Press Statement On #savemayowa / #SaveMayowa Is Not A Scam - Family, Nigerians Slam Linda Ikeji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by jedisco(m): 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2016
from the airport
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by giles14(m): 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2016
fools everywhere.

even d owner of d foundation said dere were economical with d truth from d onset.

so Afonjas its ok to hate but while hating do so with ur brains
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Opistorincos(m): 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2016
Nice article @op
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 29, 2016
6. Be thankful for life.
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Organs(m): 11:17pm On Aug 29, 2016
Samgenuine: This is very good thanks for this beautiful piece. Although two points:

1. You should've have specifically called out Linda Ikeji's blog. She was the one that actually called it a scam and others took cue.

2. I do not agree with you in the "Families should tell the truth portion. The family already came out and said they put this out and did not know that Nigerians will come to their aid so quickly and that they will raise the money they raised in the time they raised it. That is clearly understandable most especially since there was no prior plan (project plan) to organize this with milestones, dates, amount needed, diagnoses, treatment place, etc. All this happened within a short time. I understand this because my mum was sick and i just wanted to bring her here for treatment. Nobody can clearly tell you how much will be required etc just an estimate and things happened so fast. So many for the #5 what you should have said is that the family should update the communication and organize the process as things unfolded.

Conclusively, your write up is educative, very helpful and insightful, thank you again.
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Wyttcat: 11:30pm On Aug 29, 2016
And what looked shady about it? That it was an emaciated mannequin they photographed?Toyin Aimakhu pulled the plug when the family wouldn't allow her take part of the money. She is a lowlife scrum that will suffer for the stress she put the woman through. Foolish wolves in sheep's clothing.
Jay542:
You can't blame Toyin. It looked shady at some point. May her soul rest in perfect peace. sad

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Organs(m): 11:30pm On Aug 29, 2016
DonX001:
Truth be told, Linda or Toyin should not be blamed for saying it was a scam.
Why??
Because there was actually a scam.

The scam was in making people believe she could be cured.
The family made people believe that she could be cured, (that was why they used the hashtag #SaveMayowa...like she could be saved by medicine).... when it had been made very very clear to them that her cancer was far beyond medical help.

Once I saw that her medical report, I knew she had only a few days to go...even if she is in the best hospital in the entire solar system.
I knew once they put her on such a long flight, her death would come much faster.

If the family did not make it seem like there was a cure for her, people would not have donated that much money, and could use their money to help other people that need money and can actually be saved, instead of a case that was certified hopeless medically.

Basically, the family gave Nigerians false hope that there was a cure when there was absolutely none, and gathered money based on that belief.
That, in my opinion, is fraudulent.

Donx000: You are just insensitive and jealous. Also, Nigerians have this defeatist attitude. What if she were your sister?? Whether curable or not, if her life can be extended by surgery or chemo-therapy, the family will do whatever to take her abroad for treatment to keep her with them longer. Also, many hospitals in naija will say nothing can be done yet those same people live quality life abroad with improved healthcare. That is also why GMB will shamelessly go abroad to treat ear infection cos Nigerian hospitals cannot be trusted. Look at a girl being paraded with bulging stomach on Nairaland last week and some people were using her to make $$, some people made comment that she cannot survive it, some Nigerian Drs will make those same diagnosis so, why listen to them? Did you contribute?? why are you bothered about $$ raised for her instead of others?? Jealousy, jealousy na im dey worry you, bad belle na im dey worry you.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Flashh: 11:32pm On Aug 29, 2016
Berbierklaus:
RIP mayowa
its just unfortunate that she couldn't make it

btw does cancer have a cure
I have modified.
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by nrexzy: 11:46pm On Aug 29, 2016
brize:
manage it
If u had any we wouldn't be here
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Toks2008(m): 11:47pm On Aug 29, 2016
searchiing4love:
There are many Nigerians who are suffering from several financial constraints. Some people can't afford to feed themselves due to joblessness, some people's education are on the line for a meagre amount of school fees which someone somewhere will spend on a bottle of champagne on a Friday night, some are critically ill and shy to seek for help and so on and so forth. The courageous one's who rather come online to solicit for help to solve their predicaments are mostly condemned and labeled scammers by ignorant peeps who believes all fingers are equal. Many are dying in silence because of the ridicule attached to begging. Nigerians will rather donate millions of Naira to you when you are sick with a life threatening disease but ignore so many people that needs just 5000 naira to rise above suicide thoughts. Some will tell you to look for what you can do in your environment as if the start up capital will fall from heaven. It's a crazy world we live in. What is the essence of the donations to Mayowa when it couldn't save her life? How many of the donors are willing to help hungry Nigerians? How many are willing to render help to IDP's? How many are willing to help that young man from been a drop out due to school fees?

We need to understand that humanity goes beyond helping the critically ill. Render help to those in need around you before their conditions degenerates into another Mayowa's story. Stop eye services and set your priorities right.

Rip to Mayowa, but I'm not impressed with the fruitless campaign sad

You made sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Wyttcat: 12:08am On Aug 30, 2016
Don't mind them. They are the same people that will be buried when just unconscious. Stupidd people. There are people walking today after years of doctors telling them they won't last 3 months. It's their kinds that wake up in the mogue because someone is in a hurry to get rid of them. You will be shocked to find the same people at the front row in church every Sunday with their souls worst than 'hellfire'.
Organs:

Donx000: You are just insensitive and jealous. Also, Nigerians have this defeatist attitude. What if she were your sister?? Whether curable or not, if her life can be extended by surgery or chemo-therapy, the family will do whatever to take her abroad for treatment to keep her with them longer. Also, many hospitals in naija will say nothing can be done yet those same people live quality life abroad with improved healthcare. That is also why GMB will shamelessly go abroad to treat ear infection cos Nigerian hospitals cannot be trusted. Look at a girl being paraded with bulging stomach on Nairaland last week and some people were using her to make $$, some people made comment that she cannot survive it, some Nigerian Drs will make those same diagnosis so, why listen to them? Did you contribute?? why are you bothered about $$ raised for her instead of others?? Jealousy, jealousy na im dey worry you, bad belle na im dey worry you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Nobody: 12:29am On Aug 30, 2016
fkj950ax:
God bless the OP

Finally read a post on NL that contributed 100% to my knowledge. bank
So true bruv, infact most posts here make me feel dumber from just reading the topic alone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Drabrah(m): 2:19am On Aug 30, 2016
Berbierklaus:
RIP mayowa

Most are, buh prognosis berra if detected early.
Unfortunately, d reverse is d case in 9ja. Patients don't present early, yet we're limited in diagnostic & intervention aids (as opposed to d West where screening is routine & detection is early). As my teacher will say It's "Double Jeopardy"

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Marvis4real(f): 2:22am On Aug 30, 2016
searchiing4love:
There are many Nigerians who are suffering from several financial constraints. Some people can't afford to feed themselves due to joblessness, some people's education are on the line for a meagre amount of school fees which someone somewhere will spend on a bottle of champagne on a Friday night, some are critically ill and shy to seek for help and so on and so forth. The courageous one's who rather come online to solicit for help to solve their predicaments are mostly condemned and labeled scammers by ignorant peeps who believes all fingers are equal. Many are dying in silence because of the ridicule attached to begging. Nigerians will rather donate millions of Naira to you when you are sick with a life threatening disease but ignore so many people that needs just 5000 naira to rise above suicide thoughts. Some will tell you to look for what you can do in your environment as if the start up capital will fall from heaven. It's a crazy world we live in. What is the essence of the donations to Mayowa when it couldn't save her life? How many of the donors are willing to help hungry Nigerians? How many are willing to render help to IDP's? How many are willing to help that young man from been a drop out due to school fees?

We need to understand that humanity goes beyond helping the critically ill. Render help to those in need around you before their conditions degenerates into another Mayowa's story. Stop eye services and set your priorities right.

God bless u. I have just posted my own request and they only look and pass

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by TAXMASTER: 2:26am On Aug 30, 2016
Berbierklaus:
RIP mayowa

fine girl
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Ishilove: 4:24am On Aug 30, 2016
searchiing4love:

There are many people with genuine needs, yes, but the challenge is unscrupulous people have made it difficult to help those with genuine needs.

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by slowbreeze(f): 6:10am On Aug 30, 2016
To all dose ppl saying dat it was a waste of time and money, bla bla bla,May u or any of ur family members never be caught in a situation where u r in dire need of funds and ur ready to grasp at any flicker of hope of survival. Its obvious her ppl loved her and did all dey can to save/prolong d girls life .I know of ppl who r ready to give huge sums of money if its possible to spend some time wit dia departed loved ones.
And dere are also cases of ppl written off medically to av a short time to live,yet dey outlived..
In saner climes,a terminally ill patient will be taken to a hospice,where dey will be taken care of and managed palliatively till death comes.Some even stay dere for years before dey die..Nobody shuld regret anytin.Dey did dia best for Mayowa,bt I guess God had oda plans.Thats life!

3 Likes

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by olaolaking: 6:26am On Aug 30, 2016
Berbierklaus:
RIP mayowa

Many people say cancer does not have a cure. I partially agree. But there have never been an expert report saying that cancer is not curable. It is only us outside that field that conclude that.

Another thing is this. If you have someone you really have affection for. You will do all your best if you have the power to safe him even if the chance of survival is 10%

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 30, 2016
Can we pls stop all these about Mayowa,the way it was termed as 'scam'is disgusting. The thought of what might have gone through her mind in her last days during d 'scam' saga is painful,distressful.Can people pls stop reminding us about this issue?About the mistakes of Toyin and Linda?About the fact that despite fighting hard,she didn't win the battle?Can we pls stop blaming her loved ones,her family members who might still be in pain of losing her?Can we pls stop blaming d public for responding swiftly to an emergency from a fellow Nigerian?Can we pls stop blocking other people's chances of getting help?How can anyone lose hope on a loved one?When did it become our culture to announce to the world that our loved one will die according to Dr's report.We are a Pple who believe in miracles.I sincerely hope this issue will be put to rest.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by olaolaking: 6:28am On Aug 30, 2016
slowbreeze:
To all dose ppl saying dat it was a waste of time and money, bla bla bla,May u or any of ur family members never be caught in a situation where u r in dire need of funds and ur ready to grasp at any flicker of hope of survival. Its obvious her ppl loved her and did all dey can to save/prolong d girls life .I know of ppl who r ready to give huge sums of money if its possible to spend some time wit dia departed loved ones.
And dere are also cases of ppl written off medically to av a short time to live,yet dey outlived..
In saner climes,a terminally ill patient will be taken to a hospice,where dey will be taken care of and managed palliatively till death comes.Some even stay dere for years before dey die..Nobody shuld regret anytin.Dey did dia best for Mayowa,bt I guess God had oda plans.Thats life!
We share the same brain

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by olaolaking: 6:33am On Aug 30, 2016
Wyttcat:
Don't mind them. They are the same people that will be buried when just unconscious. Stupidd people. There are people walking today after years of doctors telling them they won't last 3 months. It's their kinds that wake up in the mogue because someone is in a hurry to get rid of them. You will be shocked to find the same people at the front row in church every Sunday with their souls worst than 'hellfire'.
I have made payment for 12 cartons of beer for you. Just enter any beer parlor in your area and mention my name.
Thank God for people that have that gift of reasoning.
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by olaolaking: 6:40am On Aug 30, 2016
DonX001:
Truth be told, Linda or Toyin should not be blamed for saying it was a scam.
Why??
Because there was actually a scam.

The scam was in making people believe she could be cured.
The family made people believe that she could be cured, (that was why they used the hashtag #SaveMayowa...like she could be saved by medicine).... when it had been made very very clear to them that her cancer was far beyond medical help.

Once I saw that her medical report, I knew she had only a few days to go...even if she is in the best hospital in the entire solar system.
I knew once they put her on such a long flight, her death would come much faster.

If the family did not make it seem like there was a cure for her, people would not have donated that much money, and could use their money to help other people that need money and can actually be saved, instead of a case that was certified hopeless medically.

Basically, the family gave Nigerians false hope that there was a cure when there was absolutely none, and gathered money based on that belief.
That, in my opinion, is fraudulent.
If Mayowa was your sister, would you give up just like that?
What they did is humane to me.
In a sane land, patients were treated until after the last breath.

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by RoninSignals: 7:12am On Aug 30, 2016
in my own opinion, I feel Toyin should be blamed not Linda.
Firstly, Toyin needs a good PR- her choice of words are really bad. She said ''help Mayawo a friend and a fan" , so if I'm not her friend and I don't watch her so called movies she won't assist me if I needed help. she should assist me because I needed help nothing attached.
she also failed to carryout her investigation regarding the story. I can't blame her though, because her films also have these bottlenecks. And at the end of the day "Na Rabara " she ended up, name she had are facts like aunty Linda... May be she would have escape These name is callings.
I guess she doesn't have knowledge of what stage 4 cancer means, but Linda does and she also made her findings to some extent but her mode of disseminating bad news needs to change. She needs to learn how yorubas break bad news - they are the best.
May God put you in a place well deserved Mayowa

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 30, 2016
Ishilove:

There are many people with genuine needs, yes, but the challenge is unscrupulous people have made it difficult to help those with genuine needs.

What about those who are willing to prove beyond doubts? Even the nairaland boss almost criminalized soliciting for help on his platform. There are unscrupulous elements every where but that doesn't mean we should ignore helping the needy when we can afford it
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by laparry12(f): 8:28am On Aug 30, 2016
ehimeayeni:
One tig is for sure, nobody will donate a kobo for anybody that is sick again. After donating money the person will now die.Even the celebrities will not come out to campaign for anybody that is sick. Who is sick should call on God who is the Ultimate healer.
Bros, u can't decide for everyone nah, nobody chooses to die instead of getting treated especially when kind hearted people hv contributed. God uses people to bless people.

1 Like

Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Hephzibeulah: 9:29am On Aug 30, 2016
You've written what I consider a good piece, which in my opinion, is capable of educating a lot of Nigerians on the #savemayowa saga.

However, I do think that since the purpose of your piece was to educate Nigerians, you ought to have touched on an aspect I feel was a key determining factor in her inability to survive: the delay in the release of the funds due to the lien placed on the accounts into which the funds were raised by the over zealous Nigeria Police.

Had she been flown out of the country a week or two earlier, would she have stood a better chance of survival? This is more so against the backdrop of the fact that it was the greed of the two main actors who either wanted a share of the funds or at best, wanted the raised funds to pass through their respective NGOs, that ultimately caused the delay, and like it or not, the cictim's death.

Could the Nigeria Police have placed the life and survival chances of the victim above a mere administrative requirement? Could they have carried out their so called investigation without placing a lien on the accounts? Could they have been proactive and released a part of the money to facilitate her travel and commencement of treatment while the investigation was ongoing? What were they even investigating for that long? Was the contentious issue not the suspicion that the girl's family had misrepresented the facts to the public with an intent to defraud? How long would it typically take to establish that?

For some strange reasons, no one has cared to ask any of these questions. It just feels okay that she didn't survive it. It feels okay that Mayowa died. After all, the specialists at LUTH had given their verdict (if indeed they actually did): she can't make it!

If indeed they gave such a verdict, what was the basis? The same basis with which they came to the conclusion that no airline would fly her? Was it not in a South African hospital that she died? How did she get there?

I find it hard to believe that the likes of the NGO pretenders in this matter, as well as Linda Ikeji have not made a proper public apology. And oh! I read what Linda Ikeji posted. That's not a public apology. That's a justification for doing a wrong. And just so she knows, the fact that the Nigeria Police found no wrong doing on the part of the family of the late Mayowa is a solid base for successfully grounding an action on defamation against Linda.

I'll rest my case here and hope that we have all learnt our lessons.

And lest I forget, I salute the generosity of Nigerians.
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by jeff1607(m): 9:59am On Aug 30, 2016
not really surprised @ toyin, if the same lady can jump in different relationships without weighing her options, this shouldn't be any different.

Rest in peace.
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Berbierklaus(f): 11:35am On Aug 30, 2016
TAXMASTER:
fine girl
wink
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by Berbierklaus(f): 11:50am On Aug 30, 2016
searchiing4love:

What about those who are willing to prove beyond doubts? Even the nairaland boss almost criminalized soliciting for help on his platform. There are unscrupulous elements every where but that doesn't mean we should ignore helping the needy when we can afford it
Even Nigerian girls? grin
Re: 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa by AdeKamal(m): 12:56pm On Aug 30, 2016
jhydebaba:
So what will happen to the money donated?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / Children Attack Doctor And Nurse In Edo, Accuse Them Of Killing Their Mother / Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.