Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,354 members, 7,957,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:13 AM

Where Is The Preferred Destination For A PhD in Law - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Where Is The Preferred Destination For A PhD in Law (614 Views)

U.S. Becomes Top Global Destination For Asylum Seekers, Overtaking Germany(Pics) / Flight Took Off In 2018 And Arrived Destination In 2017 / What Should I Do Next?, Says A Phd Student Wanting To Travel Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where Is The Preferred Destination For A PhD in Law by Magisterium: 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2016
I have been an avid reader of Nairaland since 2009, but this will be the first time I am posting in the Travel section.

I have to commend a few sagacious chaps here who offer sound advice to folks who intend to pursue their studies abroad. Hopefully, I will get some of those good pieces of advice.

With a master's degree in Law in a prestigious university in the UK, I intend to take the step a notch here by pursuing a PhD in law. My primary career interest is to ultimately end up in the academia as either a lecturer or a researcher. Other interests include having a consultancy in my field or work for an international organization.

Two countries come up as potential destinations for my doctoral studies. The U.K. And Canada. Distance made me to eliminate Autralia from the mix, as I need a country I can easily shuttle between and Nigeria.

Now, here's the meat. A UK Law PhD has a maximum length of 3 or, at most, 4 years while a PhD in Canada has a maximum duration of 6 years( see the University of Alberta Law PhD for instance). I will turn 32 this year and intend to just get the PhD business done for quickly. Hence, a protracted PhD is a no-no for me. But here is the question and this is directed for folks who have knowledge of this:

Assuming I were to go for a PhD in the UK, can I use it to get an academic job or consultancy or any other relevant law job in Canada or even Australia? What are the odds? I am not particularly planning on staying back at the UK after study because, having done my LLM over there, I know how hostile their post study work atmosphere can be.

I hope this thread will be allowed to stand. Commendably, there are threads on study in Canada or UK, but these have been mainly dedicated to masters study only and a sparse quantity on law. None on PhD study and because of this, I hope this thread will be allowed to grow life and maybe pushed to front page for more opinions, as it will be of benefit to others.

Mucho gracias.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Europe 'close To Limit' On Refugee Numbers, EU President Says / Photos: Unidentified Victim Of A Hit & Run Accident Along Lekki-epe Expressway / The 10 Most Expensive Cities To Live In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.