Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,246 members, 7,825,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

5 Measures To Increase Your Computer Security - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 5 Measures To Increase Your Computer Security (1434 Views)

Fix Your Computer For A Token - Know Prices +more Laptop /desktop/notebook / How To Remove All Viruses From Your Computer Using Rescue USB Disk. / Top Reasons For Pc Crashes In Nigeria; Precautionary Measures To Avoid Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Measures To Increase Your Computer Security by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 01, 2016

The truth is that our personal computers are vulnerable to different attacks. To secure your computer is a bit difficult especially if you are the type that’s always connected to the internet. But even if it seems hard to act on, there are some measures to increase computer security. Your computer security is important particularly if it’s a personal computer. If not careful, your personal and private information may be leaked which is bad. Examples are unclad pictures, personal voice notes, secret documents. You can read more about that HERE.

Without much talking, I will discuss with you 5 measures to increase computer security. Therefore, it is very important to take note and also adhere to this so as not to end up stabbing yourself.

Measures to Increase Your Computer Security

1. Regular Use Of Anti-Virus:

The word virus and anti-virus is not new to you i guess. Surfing through the internet, sharing files with your friends via USB Drive, Downloading from unsafe websites are one of the things we do daily. We can’t just avoid it. Doing this alone is a sure way to invite virus, Trojans and malware to your computer. With the computer security measures, The regular use of Anti-Virus will protect your privacy from leaking. Antivirus applications helps to block and disable this type of harmful programs. Therefore, I will advice you to go for premium and up-to-date anti-virus software as it is a good practice. Some recommended anti-virus includes, Avast Anti-virus Pro, 360 Total Security, Norton etc.

Recommended Post: 3 Password Mistakes People Make

2. Activate Windows Firewall:

Windows Firewall is a built-in software developed by Microsoft and its present on every computer. This software helps to protect your computer from internet security violation. Windows firewall makes your computer system invisible to hackers and helps to protect your private and personal files. Though, this option can be enabled and disabled but its always recommended to Enable it. The windows firewall helps to restrict any unauthorized access to your files especially when browsing untrusted websites and during download and uploading of files from your computer system.

3. Make Use Of Strong Passwords:

I have written one or two articles on Password strength. There are lot of websites that requires password before giving you full access. With this, not all websites should be trusted because you don’t know how and where the passwords are saved to. It’s advisable to make use of strong passwords, better still make use of password generators and use different password for different websites. Especially where you keep personal information like credit card details and your email.

Password managers e.g Last pass are also great and its now available for Windows PC, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile. Here, you can keep all your account passwords and you worry less about forgetting your password often.

4. Keep Your Computer System Up to Date:

Keeping your computer up-to-date doesn’t mean you should get a brand new computer. It means keeping all the device drivers up-to-date, Uninstalling unnecessary software, etc. To me personally, its not my habit to update my PC all the time but at least once in a while. Some had never updated their personal computer for once, but run for help each time they experience a little problem. Here, update to the latest operating system of your PC because one or more computer security patches may have been solved and you may be compromised if you don’t install them.

5. Disable Add-on:

Some browsers make use of add-on and extensions. Not all installed Add-on or extensions are useful hence, Remove the one’s that you are not using. Although some add-on offer some handy features, it’s not always possible to ensure the validity or security of an add-on or extension. And even when you can, it’s not always a given that the add-on won’t affect the performance of the machine.

lalasticlala
Freiburger , r231 Maleeq , skydancer

Slyr0x , adewasco2k UjSizzle , mkmyers45

Source: http://www.gidimasters.com.ng/5-measures-increase-computer-security/
Re: 5 Measures To Increase Your Computer Security by independent12: 9:03am On Sep 02, 2016
Malware attack can be annoying and disturbing. See how to deal with it Here

(1) (Reply)

Can I Still Get This Kind Of Laptop At The Rate Of N70,000? / Robotic Automation Process Future / Lenovo Y530, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 8th Gen Core i7-8750H, 4GB Nvidia GTX 1050Ti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.