Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

How To Work With A Difficult Boss - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Work With A Difficult Boss (7843 Views)

6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss / Tips For Dealing With A Difficult Boss / 10 Jobs That Makes It Difficult For Men To Intimately Satisfy Their Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Amaga(m): 10:27pm On Sep 01, 2016
Several people, over the course of their career, have crossed path at one time or the other with difficult bosses. There are those who are currently sharing an office with a difficult boss who may see the situation as hopeless. Here are four simple ways to work with a difficult boss.

Stay Calm: Staying calm when being screamed at could be quite difficult to do. Some let their emotions get the better of them by either breaking down in tears or screaming back in other to protect a bruised ego. In the corporate hierarchy, your boss is above you and so whatever is said to you in any manner take it with a smile while you plan an exit strategy.

Stay Focused: After a demoralising encounter with the boss, one is often plunged into a sea of despair. Do not let it get to you. Stay focused on the job. People are known to make more mistakes during such a period. Try as much as you can to put yourself together and continue the task as though you never had the encounter.

Stay Committed: You need to, as much as you can, stay committed to your career path. Some have let a difficult boss ruin their career path by resigning without a backup strategy. Do not let that happen to you. Stay focused on the path you have chosen and learn the ropes steadily so that you can attain all that you have set out in life to achieve. Always remember that an unfulfilled life is full of pain and agony and life has its difficult moments. Nothing lasts forever.

Stay Happy: It is often easy to transfer aggression especially when the person to receive it is perceived weaker than we are. After a bad day, some spouses easily transfer the anger from work and this would affect their relationship at home. Never let that happen to you. Whatever happens at work, ensure that it remains at the work place. Remain happy and never make your source of joy, which is your family, unhappy.

In all of these, always remember that happiness can neither be bought nor transferred. Happiness is in you and it is your decision to be happy or not. Let no one make you choose sadness. It is not worth it. Be happy and stay positive.

Source: www.thepositivestory.info/2016/09/how-to-work-with-difficult-boss_1.html

12 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Omoyeni3601: 6:31am On Sep 02, 2016
FTC , yayyyyyy
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Junior66(m): 6:33am On Sep 02, 2016
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Dullahi(m): 6:34am On Sep 02, 2016
Thank you for sharing this.
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by walearoy(m): 6:34am On Sep 02, 2016
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Topjohn: 6:34am On Sep 02, 2016
Nice one ...
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Aroh48(m): 6:34am On Sep 02, 2016
D
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Omoyeni3601: 6:35am On Sep 02, 2016
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Niyinficient(m): 6:36am On Sep 02, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Dullahi(m): 6:37am On Sep 02, 2016
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Niyinficient(m): 6:38am On Sep 02, 2016
Thanks OP! this is so helpful!
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by raphealolami(m): 6:38am On Sep 02, 2016
A leopard can not change its skin. Some will stay be bent on frustrating you but good points there

4 Likes

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Exponental(m): 6:39am On Sep 02, 2016
What the boss needs is loyalty. Serve him the way he will understand.... while you work with him.
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by dotun4real: 6:51am On Sep 02, 2016
Thanks for the post
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by jaywhoco(m): 6:57am On Sep 02, 2016
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Teespice(f): 7:01am On Sep 02, 2016
one needs a lot of patience to deal with a difficult boss.

it would be easy for me to say resign rather than deal with a difficult boss because you can't be expected to give your best when you work with a miniature version of hitler but then, getting a job isn't as easy.

1 Like

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by soonest(f): 7:06am On Sep 02, 2016
Good points you penned Op, but like they say easier said than done. Sometimes you just wish you can give your boss a dose of his medicine.

4 Likes

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by elfico(m): 7:12am On Sep 02, 2016
And most importantly, stay employed. Except of course you can manage your own business
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by scaramenga: 7:13am On Sep 02, 2016
Amaga:
Several people, over the course of their career, have crossed path at one time or the other with difficult bosses. There are those who are currently sharing an office with a difficult boss who may see the situation as hopeless. Here are four simple ways to work with a difficult boss.

Stay Calm: Staying calm when being screamed at could be quite difficult to do. Some let their emotions get the better of them by either breaking down in tears or screaming back in other to protect a bruised ego. In the corporate hierarchy, your boss is above you and so whatever is said to you in any manner take it with a smile while you plan an exit strategy.

Stay Focused: After a demoralising encounter with the boss, one is often plunged into a sea of despair. Do not let it get to you. Stay focused on the job. People are known to make more mistakes during such a period. Try as much as you can to put yourself together and continue the task as though you never had the encounter.

Stay Committed: You need to, as much as you can, stay committed to your career path. Some have let a difficult boss ruin their career path by resigning without a backup strategy. Do not let that happen to you. Stay focused on the path you have chosen and learn the ropes steadily so that you can attain all that you have set out in life to achieve. Always remember that an unfulfilled life is full of pain and agony and life has its difficult moments. Nothing lasts forever.

Stay Happy: It is often easy to transfer aggression especially when the person to receive it is perceived weaker than we are. After a bad day, some spouses easily transfer the anger from work and this would affect their relationship at home. Never let that happen to you. Whatever happens at work, ensure that it remains at the work place. Remain happy and never make your source of joy, which is your family, unhappy.

In all of these, always remember that happiness can neither be bought nor transferred. Happiness is in you and it is your decision to be happy or not. Let no one make you choose sadness. It is not worth it. Be happy and stay positive.

Source: www.thepositivestory.info/2016/09/how-to-work-with-difficult-boss_1.html

Or hire jamie foxx to whack him

grin just kidding

1 Like

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by AKzee(m): 7:23am On Sep 02, 2016
Very good point though. Seriously, if my boss is tough, I will be tough on him or her too. There are no two ways about life. Life is too short for you to be intimidated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by emekz1: 7:25am On Sep 02, 2016
Thumbs up Op

A motivational thread for d positivity inclined individuals

1 Like

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Metroman7: 7:34am On Sep 02, 2016
Shower the boss with love and presents gifts items on boss's birthday and possibly on festivities like xmas/sallah. It could go a long way. Humans are creatures of emotion remember.

Thank me later
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Junior66(m): 7:40am On Sep 02, 2016
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by steffans(m): 7:54am On Sep 02, 2016
Lovely points.. What if it doesn't work.. What next?
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by 007Gbenga: 8:31am On Sep 02, 2016
Many Nigerian Bosses are plain bad.There's nothing you can do that is correct in their opinion. They believe once they are paying you, they have the right to treat you like a slave. Some years ago i worked at a PR firm - oh boy, was i sorry i went there. When i joined i was told about 3 people just resigned and i was wondering why. I didn't have to wonder for too long. You should see how they treat their staff - their MD talks to grown men as if they are children. By the time i resigned more than 25 people had left the company.

What many of them don't understand is that your people are your best assets - treat them right and your company grows, don't and keep having problems.... but as a Naija BOSS : "I'm always correct and you are less than nothing - you should slave for me"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Tosyn007(m): 8:54am On Sep 02, 2016
Exponental:
What the boss needs is loyalty. Serve him the way he will understand.... while you work with him.

An irate boss will blast you into the sky when he has the chance. And that Chance will definitely come
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Tosyn007(m): 8:55am On Sep 02, 2016
steffans:
Lovely points..
What if it doesn't work.. What next?

Fast and pray.
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by mukthar2000(m): 9:05am On Sep 02, 2016
thank so much, i think this we help my present situation at office with my childish boss

1 Like

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by deliveryboy: 9:21am On Sep 02, 2016
1. Be on top of your game, know your duties. 2. Give him update about job progress made. 3. Give in extra hours if need be. 4. Be yourself, do not try to over impress him/her and remember you both don't have to be best of friends to get the job done. Just being professional is good enough.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by miltonchux(m): 10:01am On Sep 02, 2016
Thanks OP, I'm going through same experience with my MD, she screams and insults you at any little mistake. And I have been very calm and reserve. She sometimes threaten you with sack, knowing fully well she can't do without you. I bless God because my exit plan has been fulfil and I have something to fall back on. Will soon smile to her and tender my resignation letter and watch her. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by Diospropio: 10:07am On Sep 02, 2016
Metroman7:
Shower the boss with love and presents gifts items on boss's birthday and possibly on festivities like xmas/sallah. It could go a long way. Humans are creatures of emotion remember.

Thank me later

I wish this solves the problem. Some bosses are just terrible. No matter what you do to appease them, they will keep frustrating you.
Re: How To Work With A Difficult Boss by sholay2011(m): 10:42am On Sep 02, 2016
deliveryboy:
1. Be on top of your game, know your duties. 2. Give him update about job progress made. 3. Give in extra hours if need be. 4. Be yourself, do not try to over impress him/her and remember you both don't have to be best of friends to get the job done. Just being professional is good enough.
These are more realistic points than what the OP posted.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pharmacy Vs Computer Science / 10 Reasons Your Boss Wants You Out Of The Job / Discussion: Follow Your Talents And Passion Or Follow The Bag?!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.