Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis (1719 Views)

FUNAAB Lecturer Using A Local Lamp To Illustrate How Plants Absorb Water. PICS / Welcome To FUNAAB, One Of The Most Beautiful Campus In Nigeria / FUNAAB Workers Fry Akara, Celebrate Suspension Of Vice Chancellor (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 3:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
I recently had an exploration tour to Abeokuta, Ogun state precisely at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, in one of their student densely populated area. It was a mission to secure a viable point and to drill a domestic borehole for one of the private hostels in the area. It was a project that involved a team of 4. My experience during the time I spent in the area reflected to me that the environment may be too porous.

The students have just been sent home for a compulsory mid-semester break due to the recent students’ protest over incessant robbery attacks on their hostels. The Recent story about the robbery attack on the various private hostels in some of these locations leading to various rape stories and other theft acts is disheartening. The university is known to have more population of its students living off the campus this led to the increase in the density of student population in places such as Camp, Oluwo, Harmony Estate, Isolu and others, probably this contributed to the porosity of those locations. Our team tried to relate our experience within the short time with the antecedent and felt well to share a short article on it, not to attack or condemn anyone but to see to it that the concerned stakeholders within the system rise to their responsibilities in order to ensure that students are well protected and their wellbeing is ascertained to a very good extent.

The following are my thoughts; when it comes to security issues in a society, everyone is a stakeholder including the students, indigenes, university authority, student union government (if any) and even visitors like me. I would suggest that the University authority take the chief part in coordinating things to work out for the security and wellbeing of students in those areas. The students are believed to be the properties of the university in as much as they are registered students of the institution so; to some extent, the university should jerk up in their responsibility of ensuring adequate security in those areas. This may not involve the university putting in bogus financial budget but a simple concern may go a long way. It is worthy of note that the students are living in those places because the university is sited close to those locations; so the university system should also employ ways of seeing that one of the key factors of her system (i. e. the students) is well. If the university cannot fully accommodate its students within the wall of the campus which is the usual for most campuses within Nigeria, the University can enter into a partnership with the developers, site owners or landlords, indigenes of the locations as it may be towards ensuring security of the area. Each building in those locations can be levied towards getting guards (night and day) or putting a dependable security system into place. The students would also be enjoined to be responsible factors towards ensuring their security. The developers would be encouraged to also cooperate with other stakeholders in the system.

In other ways, other measures can be employed but the utmost is that the security of the lives of the students and their properties should be well addressed. From my personal experience and previous storylines, Funaabites are not known for violence just as I read from one of the speeches of the vice chancellor of the University Prof. Olusola Oyewole in the Punch Newspaper, he said, “Our students are naturally peaceful. They are not used to this type of violence.” (http://punchng.com/funaab-crisis-beyond-students-protest/). Comparatively, a gentle and easy going mule may turn to be aggressive especially when pushed to the wall. This may also be the story of the Funabites. Although it was alleged that there are other factors hinging to the strike, but it is good that actions be taken promptly in order to ensure that the students are restored back to the classrooms and save their destinies from rusting. These set of young bright mind are the future of our dear nation.
Never mind, I am just pock nosing but I guess it’s in the right direction. Views and comments are welcomed.

Rocking is my business, travelling is my hobby, relating with my environment is my mission. I do all with passion. I am a geophysicist (Rock Scientist) by profession while my environment, the society I live in is also my calling. You can contact us today for your geophysical needs, we are set to meet your subsurface needs.

Writer:
Adeolu Aderoju and Temitayo Alabi
Dextol Global Geophysicals.

Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by rusher14: 3:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
Vertical electrical sounding.

E don tay.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 11:59am On Dec 26, 2016
@ Larwin, please sir I need your help, which type of pump can I use to draw water for a distance 1248ft....

The source of water is a Dam,
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 2:25pm On Dec 26, 2016
Daniel058:
@ Larwin, please sir I need your help, which type of pump can I use to draw water for a distance 1248ft....

The source of water is a Dam,

A surface pump of around 1.5 to 2hp should be OK.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 3:43pm On Dec 26, 2016
Larwin:

A surface pump of around 1.5 to 2hp should be OK.
thanks for your kind reply.. Please the water is for farm use, l need to be using up to 50 thousand litres once every week .. I was considering buying 3hp submersible PUMP because the DAM is deep ,.. Though I don't know the recent price.

Which one ((SUBMERSIBLE /SURFACE PUMP)) pushes water faster and to a greater distance?
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 8:20pm On Dec 26, 2016
Daniel058:
thanks for your kind reply.. Please the water is for farm use, l need to be using up to 50 thousand litres once every week .. I was considering buying 3hp submersible PUMP because the DAM is deep ,.. Though I don't know the recent price.

Which one ((SUBMERSIBLE /SURFACE PUMP)) pushes water faster and to a greater distance?

You can combine the two, you ll use submersible to bring the water out of the dam then surface pump to aid the submersible. Several factors are considered while choosing pump but if the Dam is holding lot of water then there is no limit to the power of the submersible you can use.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 8:41pm On Dec 26, 2016
Larwin:

You can combine the two, you ll use submersible to bring the water out of the dam then surface pump to aid the submersible. Several factors are considered while choosing pump but if the Dam is holding lot of water then there is no limit to the power of the submersible you can use.
yes the DAM is holding a lot of water.. Well it's not as deep as a WELL , I think submersible won't be bad because I have seen a 400ft bore hole ran with 1hp submersible pump, and it still pushes the water to about 200ft away from the bore hole..

The pvc pipe I'm going to use isn't that wide, it's just 1¼ inch wide..
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 10:31am On Dec 27, 2016
Daniel058:
yes the DAM is holding a lot of water.. Well it's not as deep as a WELL , I think submersible won't be bad because I have seen a 400ft bore hole ran with 1hp submersible pump, and it still pushes the water to about 200ft away from the bore hole..

The pvc pipe I'm going to use isn't that wide, it's just 1¼ inch wide..

Yea, dats tru. And irrigation doesn't consume much water like dat. U might nt need up to 50k litres in a week
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 5:44pm On Dec 27, 2016
Larwin:

Yea, dats tru. And irrigation doesn't consume much water like dat. U might nt need up to 50k litres in a week
lol my farm is large oo
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 3:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
Daniel058:
lol my farm is large oo

Wow, thank God u ve a Dam around. The best Is to tap into d resources.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2016
Larwin:

Wow, thank God u ve a Dam around. The best Is to tap into d resources.
Amen oo, tomorrow I go dey go onitsha to look for the pump oo,

3hp submersible .. Or surface
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 10:20pm On Dec 28, 2016
Daniel058:
Amen oo, tomorrow I go dey go onitsha to look for the pump oo,

3hp submersible .. Or surface

U dnt have to put submersible, use surface pump.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 10:28pm On Dec 28, 2016
Larwin:

U dnt have to put submersible, use surface pump.
ok then I will go for surface .. Thank you very much sir...
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 10:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
I was reading this

http://www.virasubmersible.com/blog/submersible-pumps-their-pros-and-cons/

[b] Submersible pumps: Their pro’s and con’s

A submersible pump has the same function as the standard water pump. However, it comes with a power of the ability to be placed even underwater and still function properly. Some pump performs only when full engrossed underwater, while others perform even when placed on a dry surface. These water pumps are known as utility pumps and are popular because of their wide use. They are used in different fields such as farming, domestic, hydroponic techniques, aquariums, fountains, and filter. The motor of these pumps have surrounded casing, which is hermetically sealed so that the fluid, does not enter into pump and reason failure.

Many different kinds of submersible pump are used for drainage, slurry, and sewage pumping. Most commonly used submersible water pump in houses are sewer pump and sump pump. Their motors are exclusively engineered so that no standard water can enter it while it is being injected. It is usually in a enclosed section that is completely loaded with oil. These pump run on power and need to be used with proper care. Even though the chances of electrocution are almost non-existent, proper care needs to be taken when using them.

As intended by the name, a submersible water pump is developed to be placed (submerged) in the standard water or other fluid that is to be eliminated. All Submersible pumps are not alike. There are different editions of these devices, used in various applications, including borehole, pool, pond, fountain, well, bilge, and sewage, to name a few.

If these pumps are so popular, then there must be some benefits to using them. What are these advantages?

One benefit to a submersible water pump is in the way it is designed. It is designed as a tightly contained unit, with water tight gaskets and seals that keep the fluid out of the house and inner elements. This design guarantees that the force will not flow or short out electronically when submerged.

Besides being firmly enclosed and water resistant, there are other benefits submersible pumps over non-submersible pumps. One benefit is how it pumps the standard water. The submersible pump uses direct pressure to force the fluid through the tube or water hose, rather than using the suction power method. Using direct pressure means that the force can move liquids deeper more effectively than suction devices. Being self-primed is another benefit over a non-submersible. Other kinds of pump, such as jet pump or shallow well pump require priming to begin up. Priming is not required to begin a standard submersible pump. Also, due to it being placed straight within the fluid, the completely submersible pump can function more effectively when moving water at a long-distance.[/b]
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 9:12am On Dec 29, 2016
Daniel058:
I was reading this

http://www.virasubmersible.com/blog/submersible-pumps-their-pros-and-cons/

[b] Submersible pumps: Their pro’s and con’s

A submersible pump has the same function as the standard water pump. However, it comes with a power of the ability to be placed even underwater and still function properly. Some pump performs only when full engrossed underwater, while others perform even when placed on a dry surface. These water pumps are known as utility pumps and are popular because of their wide use. They are used in different fields such as farming, domestic, hydroponic techniques, aquariums, fountains, and filter. The motor of these pumps have surrounded casing, which is hermetically sealed so that the fluid, does not enter into pump and reason failure.

Many different kinds of submersible pump are used for drainage, slurry, and sewage pumping. Most commonly used submersible water pump in houses are sewer pump and sump pump. Their motors are exclusively engineered so that no standard water can enter it while it is being injected. It is usually in a enclosed section that is completely loaded with oil. These pump run on power and need to be used with proper care. Even though the chances of electrocution are almost non-existent, proper care needs to be taken when using them.

As intended by the name, a submersible water pump is developed to be placed (submerged) in the standard water or other fluid that is to be eliminated. All Submersible pumps are not alike. There are different editions of these devices, used in various applications, including borehole, pool, pond, fountain, well, bilge, and sewage, to name a few.

If these pumps are so popular, then there must be some benefits to using them. What are these advantages?

One benefit to a submersible water pump is in the way it is designed. It is designed as a tightly contained unit, with water tight gaskets and seals that keep the fluid out of the house and inner elements. This design guarantees that the force will not flow or short out electronically when submerged.

Besides being firmly enclosed and water resistant, there are other benefits submersible pumps over non-submersible pumps. One benefit is how it pumps the standard water. The submersible pump uses direct pressure to force the fluid through the tube or water hose, rather than using the suction power method. Using direct pressure means that the force can move liquids deeper more effectively than suction devices. Being self-primed is another benefit over a non-submersible. Other kinds of pump, such as jet pump or shallow well pump require priming to begin up. Priming is not required to begin a standard submersible pump. Also, due to it being placed straight within the fluid, the completely submersible pump can function more effectively when moving water at a long-distance.[/b]

Yea, what do u ve in mind.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 2:25pm On Dec 30, 2016
Larwin:

Yea, what do u ve in mind.
lol the same thing you told me!! Oooo grin Chai!! I bought the pump oo.....

Interdab 3hp surface pump ...
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 3:51pm On Dec 30, 2016
Daniel058:
lol the same thing you told me!! Oooo grin Chai!! I bought the pump oo.....

Interdab 3hp surface pump ...

Wow, how much does it cost.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2016
Larwin:

Wow, how much does it cost.
#90k, though some are selling theirs @ 125k but it's like the guy bought it when it was very cheap
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2016
Wow, was thinking u would meet it at around 40/50k. Surface pumps r nt as expensive as submersibles.

Daniel058:
#90k, though some are selling theirs @ 125k but it's like the guy bought it when it was very cheap
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 7:03pm On Dec 30, 2016
Larwin:
Wow, was thinking u would meet it at around 40/50k. Surface pumps r nt as expensive as submersibles.

Hmmmm.. Nah so I see am oo.. Do I need to put water on the pump before I can draw water?
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 7:23pm On Dec 30, 2016
Daniel058:
Hmmmm.. Nah so I see am oo.. Do I need to put water on the pump before I can draw water?

Pls post the pix here so ppl can see. I dnt think u be to put water on it. Just let a good plumber handle the installation for you. He ll know how to go bout it
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 4:50am On Dec 31, 2016
Larwin:

Pls post the pix here so ppl can see. I dnt think u be to put water on it. Just let a good plumber handle the installation for you. He ll know how to go bout it

Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 5:32am On Dec 31, 2016
This is it

Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 7:33am On Dec 31, 2016
[quote author=Daniel058 post=52409596][/quote]

Wow, it's looking old already shocked
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 9:34am On Dec 31, 2016
Larwin:

Wow, it's looking old already shocked
lol, I didn't dust it well, it's been in their warehouse for like a year or so
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 12:22pm On Dec 31, 2016
Daniel058:
lol, I didn't dust it well, it's been in their warehouse for like a year or so

Wow, pls let me know how strong it is wen u start using it.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 11:24pm On Dec 31, 2016
Larwin:

Wow, pls let me know how strong it is wen u start using it.
well I tested it and it couldn't draw water from the dam, I called the seller, he said that I should call a plumber to install it for me, and that I should buy "" Foot Valve, " what is the work of foot valve Pls smiley
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 11:01am On Jan 01, 2017
Daniel058:
well I tested it and it couldn't draw water from the dam, I called the seller, he said that I should call a plumber to install it for me, and that I should buy "" Foot Valve, " what is the work of foot valve Pls smiley

Yea, it ll guard the water to flow in one direction. You will need a professional to install the pump for you. There might be other things that needs to be done.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Daniel058(m): 11:05am On Jan 01, 2017
Larwin:

Yea, it ll guard the water to flow in one direction. You will need a professional to install the pump for you. There might be other things that needs to be done.
wow, things like?.... cheesy

Let me not forget to say that I'm powering it a generator.. 2900 watts generator
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 8:02am On Jan 02, 2017
Oh, most pumps run on generator in ds country. Just make sure it's powerful enough. Have u been able to install it.
Re: Geophysical Exploration Tour: Suggestive Solution To FUNAAB Security Crisis by Larwin(m): 1:28pm On Nov 16, 2022
Wow

(1) (Reply)

Comprehensive List Of Documents Needed For Admission And Scholarship Application / Thread: Unlimited Scholarships for Graduates and Post-Graduates 2019 Chapter / ASSU Strike: Students Reacts As ASUU Calls Off Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.