Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? (15441 Views)

What Are The Most Idle Apps On Your Mobile Device ? / Help! "Android OS" Consuming Too Much Battery On Galaxy S5 / Six App Settings That Consume Your Mobile Data And Solutions To Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Rayendowed007(m): 7:29am On Sep 03, 2016
IF only 9ja had stable power...we wouldn't hv 2 boda about such....smh 4 diz kwuantry ryt nw.
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Boyooosa(m): 7:42am On Sep 03, 2016
I observed that recently on my phone too; my observation was that I activated a picture I snapped as my wallpaper. But immediately I reactivated the default wallpaper, It started doing NORMAL grin, I did not bother to find out anything further...ITEL IT1503 tho!
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by DesChyko: 7:49am On Sep 03, 2016
Now you guys may be looking at that statistics the wrong way.

I charged this phone from 0% last night before going to bed.
It was 57% this morning when I put it on.
But if you calculate the data below, it gives you a total of almost 100%

What it simply means is that out of the 7% that has gone out of the battery, the screenshot below is how the 7% power was used by the device.

It doesn't mean how they use the battery. It means how they share the power leaving the battery. Each 1% is shared in that way shown.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by KingRex1(m): 7:54am On Sep 03, 2016
Just realised I'm facing same shii

Damn lcd nd Android os! Porting to ios or wp

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by mancheeutd(m): 8:00am On Sep 03, 2016
OlajumokeBread:
Not on Iphones

You bought a cheap ass android phone, what do you expect ??

Biiitch sleeping around to buy a clone iPhone now thinking she has arrived do u have to comment if you don't know what they are talking about

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by somehowpenis(m): 8:03am On Sep 03, 2016
One of the reasons why i d never make an Android my daily driver . ios doesn't do this craps.
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by independent12: 8:17am On Sep 03, 2016
This is probably a malware attack. See how to prevent this Here
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Mescopaul(m): 8:22am On Sep 03, 2016
BEST ANSWER:
Even when your phone is “idle”, it is still maintaining a signal with cell towers and syncing data.

If you’re in an area with poor coverage, it can make your phone work harder to connect, causing faster battery drain.

A bad or failing battery can also cause the phone to drain faster than it should, even when idle.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Alhajipablo(m): 8:22am On Sep 03, 2016
passyhansome:
When you chatting and you constantly typing, swiping on your screen it consumes battery, the second is when you are not surfing the Internet switch offf your data, cos ur phone could be idle and data will be draining ur battery. I might be wrong sha
it's not wrong.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by gentlegenius(m): 8:24am On Sep 03, 2016
DesChyko:
Now you guys may be looking at that statistics the wrong way.

I charged this phone from 0% last night before going to bed.
It was 57% this morning when I put it on.
But if you calculate the data below, it gives you a total of almost 100%

What it simply means is that out of the 7% that has gone out of the battery, the screenshot below is how the 7% power was used by the device.

It doesn't mean how they use the battery. It means how they share the power leaving the battery. Each 1% is shared in that way shown.
Your explanation sounds reasonable but if you check the screenshot posted by the OP at the beginning of this thread and the following one posted by me, you'll notice that the total percentage consumption is not always 100%. It could be more or less than 100% and this shows that your explanation may not really be correct. Everything should always sum up to 100% for your explanation to be valid.
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by 9jatatafo(m): 8:37am On Sep 03, 2016
My brothers and sisters of NL, the thing tire me too.
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by airsaylongcon: 8:48am On Sep 03, 2016
GenBloodykiIler:

bro i can't do without SwiftKey it makes life soo easy for me.
let's just say am an addict..

do you know that the choice of words i used far back 2014 are still stored in SwiftKey and each time i got another device I'll just synchronize grin
meehn try SwiftKey and you'll regret it no wonder Microsoft acquired it
do Samsung have cloud backup of choice of words?
if yes I'll give it a try shocked

SwiftKey, best keyboard app ever made

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by airsaylongcon: 8:51am On Sep 03, 2016
Fragilegirl:
A typical issue wif many android devices. Could b malware maliciously processing in d background. This is one of d reasons I stick wif my iOS.

I hope you know iPhones are also malware prone. With considerably greater consequences as most iPhone users rarely take measures to minimise the impact of of a malware attack because they incorrectly believe it is maleware proof

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37192670
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Netcontactsng1(m): 9:05am On Sep 03, 2016
Dam5reey:
Tell us the phone model..

How may percent is the battery when idle and sceeen reads over 200%?

Infinix x509
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Netcontactsng1(m): 9:21am On Sep 03, 2016
This morning

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by DesChyko: 9:29am On Sep 03, 2016
gentlegenius:

Your explanation sounds reasonable but if you check the screenshot posted by the OP at the beginning of this thread and the following one posted by me, you'll notice that the total percentage consumption is not always 100%. It could be more or less than 100% and this shows that your explanation may not really be correct. Everything should always sum up to 100% for your explanation to be valid.

True. Even mine was 97% or thereabout. I think what it does is an estimate of how much power is consumed by each running feature in the device. It's now left for the user to adjust features of the power consuming component. Although, you can't rule off the impact of malware in the entire fiasco. Although Android is a heavy OS as we were told grin
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by jiggar(m): 10:59am On Sep 03, 2016
"Taps mic and clears throat"

I want to believe the 'doze' feature in Marshmallow and in the recent Nougat, reduces the battery demand on the phone when idle.
My thoughts though.

The picture attached is my Tecno H6 running Temasek custom rom, based on Marshmallow.

"Drops mic and leaves"

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by kherlly(m): 11:15am On Sep 03, 2016
OlajumokeBread:
Not on Iphones

You bought the phone yourself or runs stuffs?

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by JayJayGee: 11:19am On Sep 03, 2016
OlajumokeBread:
Not on Iphones

Clap for yourself... You have said something reasonable shey?
undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by BANGERLEE1(m): 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2016
OlajumokeBread:
Not on Iphones

You are a big fool.....your thinking ability is down.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 03, 2016
gentlegenius:
This is the same question I've been willing to ask here. Can someone come up with a reasonable explanation?
The screen consumption is understandable, But I assume phone idle is the time my phone spent doing nothing, and if my assumption is correct, then the battery stats we see in our android phones is an arrant misrepresentation of data. I'm saying this because I've never noticed my battery drop even 1% when my phone is idle(doing nothing). Even the app I use most of the time(UC mini), consumes just 1% battery according to the stats below.
Which network re u using dat has 4G
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Teedeechian(m): 5:04pm On Sep 03, 2016
kayswag100:

this is for my Samsung Galaxy S6 edge.
best phone ever...of course after S7 edge.
A machine for those who know.
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Pylony(m): 7:34pm On Sep 03, 2016
Just turn down your brightness level to zero expecially at night, or use apps with night mode that could help your eyes from straining as well as well conserve you some battery. Switch off any vibration settings when you type on the touch screen and check the difference as you save more juice on your device.
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Electronzeez(m): 9:13pm On Sep 05, 2016
Mescopaul:
BEST ANSWER:
Even when your phone is “idle”, it is still maintaining a signal with cell towers and syncing data.

If you’re in an area with poor coverage, it can make your phone work harder to connect, causing faster battery drain.

A bad or failing battery can also cause the phone to drain faster than it should, even when idle.

This appear to be the worst answer of all answers posted thus far. The OP question is very apt, the question specifically mention screen not why your phone drains battery generally . Kindly explain the Nexus between screen and RF signal ?.

To contribute my own answer .

Most android LCD had thousands of transistors and LED integrated as a module to give the perfect beauty of colours and brightness we see.even when the LCD is on sleep mode these transistors are active . It therefore means the higher the contrast(the more excitation) given to these component the more your screen is likely to consume more of your battery and vise Vasa .

One should also remember to switch off or disable any screen activity like moving themes etc .also note that any screen dependent operation can cause the screen to consume much power , ensure less application are protected I.e to remain active on sleep mode .

@netcontactsng1
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Mescopaul(m): 9:26pm On Sep 05, 2016
Electronzeez:

This appear to be the worst answer of all answers posted thus far. The OP question is very apt, the question specifically mention screen not why your phone drains battery generally . Kindly explain the Nexus between screen and RF signal ?.

To contribute my own answer .

Most android LCD had thousands of transistors and LED integrated as a module to give the perfect beauty of colours and brightness we see.even when the LCD is on sleep mode these transistors are active . It therefore means the higher the contrast(the more excitation) given to these component the more your screen is likely to consume more of your battery and vise Vasa .

One should also remember to switch off or disable any screen activity like moving themes etc .also note that any screen dependent operation can cause the screen to consume much power , ensure less application are protected I.e to remain active on sleep mode .

@netcontactsng1

Ok
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 06, 2016
Get root and worry less about battery life, when your device is idle.
Greenify or Hibernation manager solves this issues, but on account of effectiveness, I prefer Hibernation manager.
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Shadedtee: 11:42pm On Mar 23, 2017
My itel S31 don't do that, so I can't relate
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Mustack: 7:18am On Mar 24, 2017
Shadedtee:
My itel S31 don't do that, so I can't relate
Guy its a lie. Its because it a new phone. Give it some months and its begin the ish...
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Shadedtee: 12:48pm On Mar 24, 2017
Mustack:

Guy its a lie. Its because it a new phone. Give it some months and its begin the ish...

I'm the one using the phone, I can't boldly tell you my itel S31 is different
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by Pweety008: 12:51pm On Mar 24, 2017
Maybe it's the phone you are using, my itel S31 hardly consumes battery
Re: Why Does Screen And Phone Idle Consume So Much Battery Juice? by geezyk(m): 2:29pm On Mar 24, 2017
GenBloodykiIler:
grin

that's why I love amoled and can't use anything without amoled

0% battery consumption of standby cheesy

if you wanna buy my phone and you're in East hala me

it's galaxy s4 i9505 4g LTE version with lollipop firmware optimized with some kernel tweaks that makes it battery saver also you can pre-order your extended battery of 6000 - 1000mah from me on any Samsung phone at affordable rate.
google what extended battery for Samsung phones or other phones if you don't know what it means.
do you have an extended battery for Samsung Galaxy Note III, if yes, price and location

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Tops In Telephone Voice Call In Third Quarter Of 2019 – NBS / Whatsapp Users Are Making 100 Million Calls Everyday / What Exactly Is The Function Of NCC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.