Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? (33095 Views)

Of Thomas Edison: Don't Let Anyone Put You Down. / Albert Einstein Begged His Daughter To Protect This / Happy Birthday, Albert Einstein!Things You Never Knew About The Scientist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by josephni12: 8:17pm On Sep 02, 2016
I want to really know who contributed more to science between Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by AKBliv010(m): 12:05am On Sep 03, 2016
josephni12:
I want to really know who contributed more to science between Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein

Books...you sabi read abi?

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 03, 2016
They don't even use Thomas Edison's light bulb in advanced countries anymore.

This is not a contest. Thomas Edison is nothing compared to Einstein.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by bqlekan(m): 7:30am On Sep 03, 2016
Thomas who? You mean that businessman? undecided stop insulting Einstein I beg, talk about Pasteur, Tesla and co..

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by tdayof(m): 8:14am On Sep 03, 2016
Albert. Even Nikola Tesla was greater than Thomas Edison. Edison tried to discredit Tesla and his inventions , which a true genius would have never done.

It would be not prudent to compare them, but still I'd go with Albert Einstein.
The reason is clear; Einstein's famous 'thought experiment' was something that was never thought of previously (however there are claims that the conclusions drawn by Einstein were already contrived up by someone before, but let's just leave it), and still remains fundamentally correct.

Edison certainly has several patents to his name, more than a thousand, but then one should know the fact that it was not only Edison behind what these patents are. His whole team was behind the curtain, and their credits were credited to Edison. It also is easy to grasp that the inventions he did, like gramophone, voting machines, etc. (mind well light bulb wasn't invented by him, he just perfected it) could be made by other individuals sooner or later, he was just the 'first one'.

On the other hand, the ideas posed by Einstein are revolutionary, out of the box, yet true. Not only did he dare to establish his weird idea, but also proved them, mathematically, stating that he didn't hypothesize things. Until now, nobody and nothing has disproved Einstein's theory of relativity. It has stood shiningly through all the tests scientists have posed.

Edison also was not a better person by nature. He literally harassed Nikola Tesla, an other better genius counterpart of him, because Tesla just said that Edison's direct current system was inefficient; which led to the famous 'war of currents' between them, which was of course won by Tesla.

[b]For those who'll argue that there is no impact of Einstein's ideas on the common man compared to Edison's, here's something to read:
-Einstein's theories of relativity (both, general and special) play an important role in GPS navigation system most of us internet users rely upon.
-Einstein's paper about the photoelectric effect revolutionised the solar panels, which are likely to be one of the primary technology which is needed to be perfected for the future absence of the conventional energy sources. He got the Nobel prize for this.
-Due to his ideas, we've been able to understand the universe in a better way, and hence the astrophysics is flourishing.
-Electromagnets (which inarguably play a substantial role in every person's life) are better understood by Special theory of relativity. (Google 'relativistic electromagnetism')
For physicists, his ideas still serve as the supporting blocks to develop new theories.
-His prediction that gravity 'bends' the space-time and hence light, ruptured Sir Newton's theory about Gravity; now we know Gravity better.
-His concept of bending of space-time helped physicists understand the presence of dark matter.
-His one of the spookiest theory about Quantum Entanglement was later proved to be correct, which might (repeat, might) provide an insight on the development of technology for teleportation.
Yes, he has made certain mistakes, but they still fail Edison to elevate intellectually compared to Einstein, in my opinion.
The bottom line:
Mother earth could have given birth to an other Edison, but Einstein is unique. [/b]
Also I have the graceful Time magazine to back me up:
[img]http://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2fae49e7b370ca8924bec4c366a75702-c?convert_to_webp=true[/img]

Comparison is out of it. If you really enjoy physics, you will know the difference. It's not just about reading about their achievement.

177 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by montezz(f): 8:14am On Sep 03, 2016
Ask quora lol

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by hUmaneOne: 8:14am On Sep 03, 2016
OP you're just unnecessarily silly..

Must one be greater than the other? Must it be a competition? What is your point sef?

Those f0olish folks talking about Edison's bulb not being in use, you don't know technology is always modified?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by martineinstein(m): 8:14am On Sep 03, 2016
thomas edison for present technology;einstein for future tech:

edision's contributions are more useful presently,while einstein's contribution will be very useful in future.

Edision remains the greatest,most relentless,most hardworking and most impactful inventor ever.

Thomas contributions/handiworks are seen in almost all appliances u use at home

9 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Damianobi(m): 8:14am On Sep 03, 2016
op are u even a student at all? Even an art student knws albert einstein contributed more. Abi jonathan and buhari who has contributed more to nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by DesChyko: 8:15am On Sep 03, 2016
Seun I Know. He give me Nairaland.

All those E= mc2 and yeye equation dem, apart from blackboard and exam paper, I never see how to use am get money.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by OMOTOWO(m): 8:15am On Sep 03, 2016
Albert naani

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by MotorConnectz(m): 8:16am On Sep 03, 2016
I think Thomas Edison, because with the invention of light he lit up the world. The same light Einstein used to work at night cheesy

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by bodee(m): 8:16am On Sep 03, 2016
Edison is the greatest inventor that ever liveth# So that settle the question

2 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Onyi42(m): 8:17am On Sep 03, 2016
I'll go for Edison because he's invention is more usefull than Einstein's

3 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by abdulhadi101(m): 8:17am On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein o..... Though Edison made some plenty great invention (over 1000 patent invention), buh Einstein innovation were break through, nuclear energy, theory of relativity etc

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by dejavubobo1(m): 8:17am On Sep 03, 2016
Which of them invented this, I guess ds inventor is more useful than both put together grin

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by NAVYdogg: 8:17am On Sep 03, 2016
F
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by slikcipher(m): 8:17am On Sep 03, 2016
Leonardo Da Vinci

3 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by MutantMetahuman: 8:17am On Sep 03, 2016
Stop comparing the two..

Edisson is jusy an investor.. Einstein made us understand how the world works better.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by ANBAKO: 8:18am On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein I believe. He is a thinker, innovator, philosopher, an all round scientist. Edison is more of a businessman and capitalist with passion to bring great things to life through its General Electric.

I think the best comparation will have been between Einstein and Tesla

This comparison of yours is like Comparing Dangote to Dogara!!!!

Do good for good to come your way!!!!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by martineinstein(m): 8:18am On Sep 03, 2016
Teempakguy:
They don't even use Thomas Edison's light bulb in advanced countries anymore.

This is not a contest. Thomas Edison is nothing compared to Einstein.
if u think bulb is only edison's contribution,then u must be joking

4 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Pavore9: 8:18am On Sep 03, 2016
They both contributed to humanity in their own way as their knowledge brought about advancement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by frubben(m): 8:18am On Sep 03, 2016
Q
Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Lilprincey(m): 8:19am On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein is the greatest scientist ever. The only person to be compared in the same breadth with him should be isaac Newton..

5 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Odogwu042(m): 8:20am On Sep 03, 2016
To the whole world , il give it to Thomas Edison but to Americans it will be Einstein

1 Like

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by ValentineMary(m): 8:20am On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein is a God in science. He solved a question no human attempted for 300 years. He proved the atom, proved space time curvature (thus proving Newton wrong), discovered the popular E = MC 2 , etc. While Thomas just stole Tesla idea of the light bulb and commercialized it.

It's an insult to Einstein to compare him with Thomas Edison.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 03, 2016
Definitely Thomas cannot be in the same league as Albert. You have a lot of reading(learning) to do.

2 Likes

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 03, 2016
Three Greatest Thinkers of all time according to Wall Street Journal, a stauch advocate of Capitalism..
Albert Einstein,Sigmund freud and Karl Marx..

Thank You

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by Puvour: 8:21am On Sep 03, 2016
Einstein of course
Some people have given the reasons above by stating some of his achievements but let me simplify it as much as I can for non-science people.
Imagine being told that "time" as you know it is not constant but two different people will read different times on their clocks if they are both moving at different speeds that is large enough.
That time will also be slower for those of us that are on ground than those that are flying in an airplane for the same event. (gravitational time dilation). In other words, if your twin brother left the ground and was living far above on mountain everest (if it were possible), after so many years, he would have been older than you even if both of you time yourselves with the same accurate clock (say an atomic clock).
The application of these concepts is what makes it possible for your GPS to tell you what exact position that you are on earth accurately.
Another thing that may sound strange to you; When you drop a stone from a height, especially where there is no air to push against it as it falls, ordinarily you would expect the stone's speed to keep increasing until it hits the ground right? Well, that's not true. In fact, right from the moment it started dropping, its speed remains the same! And it never changes throughout it's fall. You only think it's increasing because it's you who is actually "moving" relative to the stone. Any object moving in space ordinarily does so at a uniform speed including your stone. We always assumed that the earth has a force from within it that pulls us to herself and therefore makes our speed increase with time (acceleration by Newton's Idea), but it's not true. There is no force from within the earth. That's why when you fall freely in a lift for instance, you feel as if you have no weight, as if there is no force whatsoever acting on you. Because there is actually none. Now the reason might get a little confusing. Space and time bends around a massive object like the earth, so although your falling stone covers an equal distance in every second( constant speed) in the real sense, to you it's speed is increasing because you are judging it based on a curved/bent space and time.
These ideas have helped us understand better the nature of our universe, where it started from (big bang), where it will possibly lead to, the application of space technology in forecasting disease outbreaks on a farm, disaster management, solid mineral exploration, defence and security, weather forecast, even in public health as well as GIS/GPS.
Einsteins works are evolutionary!

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by bignero: 8:21am On Sep 03, 2016
tesla would have been a better comparison with Eisenstein, to show you how real their competition was they loathed each other

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between Albert Einstein And Thomas Edison Who Contributed More To The World? by emmyid(m): 8:21am On Sep 03, 2016
Over to the science students in the block! I'm an art student, but yeah, I kno little abt dem too, so I'm nt d dumb type btw!!!
But I can't categorically state who is greater, unless I ask my brother 'google'

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle / Nigerian Man Invents Machine That Can Transform Nylons & Plastics Into Petrol(pi / Nigerian Man Rejoices As He Captures A Very Big Owl In His Home (Pics/Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.