Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,386 members, 7,819,394 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

How True Is This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How True Is This? (3433 Views)

How True Is The Picture ? / Igbo Ladies, How True Is This? ( PHOTO) / Man's Greatest Moment: How True Is This Photo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How True Is This? by Berbierklaus(f): 1:48pm On Sep 03, 2016
Could this be another feminist hullabaloo or she actually makes sense?

lalasticlala wink

Re: How True Is This? by SexyStrawberry(f): 1:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
To me she makes sense, it's not about being a feminist, in marriage, two becomes one, it doesn't matter who does the chores or who goes out to earn a living, as long as there is mutual understanding and respect for one another, the union will always be a happy one at the end.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How True Is This? by EHMIR(m): 1:59pm On Sep 03, 2016
Oksad
Re: How True Is This? by Berbierklaus(f): 2:05pm On Sep 03, 2016
SexyStrawberry:
To me she makes sense, it's not about being a feminist, in marriage, two becomes one, it doesn't matter who does the chores or who goes out to earn a living, as long as there is mutual understanding and respect for one another, the union will always be a happy one at the end.
You have a point but don't you think her submission rules against gender roles and natural order of coexistence in marriage?

1 Like

Re: How True Is This? by SexyStrawberry(f): 2:17pm On Sep 03, 2016
Berbierklaus:

You have a point but don't you think her submission rules against gender roles and natural order of coexistence in marriage?

Try to be a little bit more open minded about her post and see things objectively and positively, different strokes for different folks, the things u may see as bad in a union may be what that couple u envy are using to flourish happily and u keep asking how they are so happy together in all situations, it's all about mutual understanding and respect, love is essential, but it takes more than love to make a marriage work.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How True Is This? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 03, 2016
Well said.. All that still based on the principle of coexistence in marriage..

Working in difference to make unity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by Berbierklaus(f): 2:32pm On Sep 03, 2016
SexyStrawberry:

Try to be a little bit more open minded about her post and see things objectively and positively, different strokes for different folks, the things u may see as bad in a union may be what that couple u envy are using to flourish happily and u keep asking how they are so happy together in all situations, it's all about mutual understanding and respect, love is essential, but it takes more than love to make a marriage work.
To me I find her post challenging
Why?

using our immediate environment as an example,
A man hoping to settle down for family life searches for the widely accepted "wife material" criteria
Naturally a wife material(has different subjective meaning to different people) is a lady that is domesticated eg cooking,cleaning,washing,hospitable etc and etc.

Now he gets to fulfil his desire,and his wife comes up with this tactic of running the family, maybe as a result of wanting what that other family who are "happily married has".

Do you think our men should deviate from the recognised gender role?
Don't you think it will upset the bible preached doctrine of "wife/husband helpmate"?
Do you see it as a possibility that will not put an imbalance in marriages.

Just trying to get the rational behind "Adult responsibilty"

TV01
crackhaus grin
Re: How True Is This? by Berbierklaus(f): 2:35pm On Sep 03, 2016
Yomieluv:
Well said.. All that still based on the principle of coexistence in marriage..

Working in difference to make unity.
Well put

kawuliaextra grin
cococandy
Re: How True Is This? by postmann: 3:14pm On Sep 03, 2016
Berbierklaus:

lalasticlala wink

This actually made it here at the Fam section.

Well, what the eyesore was simply saying in essence is that there are no gender roles in matrimony/and society.

She's a victim of gender dissatisfaction accrued to biological and spiritual limitations bearing on her inordinate ambitions and ideals - ideals falling out of several askew relationships which has developed into a hardened stance of recalcitrant postulation.

Unable to resolve her personal woes, she finds herself at cross-purpose with life, society and herself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by Berbierklaus(f): 3:26pm On Sep 03, 2016
postmann:

This actually made it here at the Fam section.

Well, what the eyesore was simply saying in essence is that there is no gender role in matrimony/and society.

She's a victim of gender disatisfaction accrued to biological and spiritual limitations bearing on her inordinate ambitions and ideals. Ideals falling out of several askew relationships which has developed into a hardened stance of recalcitrant revolution.

Unable to resolved her personal woes, she finds herself at cross-purpose with life, society and herself.
Thanks for your input,but I think you should dissect the Writeup and not the writer

inasmuch as it puts an imbalance on ideal gender role,don't you think she has a point?

1)Life will be much easier having a man own up to his responsibility as a father,not as a helpmate
2)A woman supposedly working as an adult responsibility not a helpmate

PresVa
Timbouktu
Re: How True Is This? by postmann: 4:01pm On Sep 03, 2016
Berbierklaus:

Thanks for your input,but I think you should dissect the Writeup and not the writer

[b]The writer is responsible for the Writeup. She's trying to set a dangerous precedent. She couldn't have escaped my onslaught.

Berbierklaus:

inasmuch as it puts an imbalance on ideal gender role,don't you think she has a point?

Tried as I might, I couldn't see any. She's a confused woman with mental and hormonal conflict as expressed in her facial ambiguity.

There are clear gender roles as biologically supported. Though life has its ups and downs and people or couples can adjust in response to financial or physical challenges, it can't and shouldn't be accepted as the norm.

Berbierklaus:

1)Life will be much easier having a man own up to his responsibility as a father,not as a helpmate
Don't get you. This is clearly not about irresponsible fathers who wouldn't take responsibility for their actions. Or does being a father to you entails sitting at home and nursing an infant while the mother is in the labour market, in an office wasting her breast milk at the restroom sink?

Berbierklaus:

2)A woman supposedly working as an adult responsibility not a helpmate[/b]

Pre.sVa
Timbou.ktu

Working or otherwise, it doesn't change her disposition as a helpmete.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by SexyStrawberry(f): 4:08pm On Sep 03, 2016
Berbierklaus:

Why?

A man hoping to settle down for family life searches for the widely accepted "wife material" criteria
Naturally a wife material(has different subjective meaning to different people) is a lady that is domesticated eg cooking,cleaning,washing,hospitable etc and etc.

Now he gets to fulfil his desire,and his wife comes up with this tactic of running the family, maybe as a result of wanting what that other family who are "happily married has".

Don't you think it will upset the bible preached doctrine of "wife/husband helpmate"?

TV01
crackhaus grin

well, first things first, I'm not into religion because it misleads people a lot, it's human beings like u and I that wrote the Bible, some will say they were inspired, but then again all the articles written in this world were written by inspired human beings right? Now in the case scenario of wedlock, it is essential for both parties to know their roles to play, the world as u can see is evolving, things are changing by the minute, and of course we have to keep up with the trend, gone are the days when women just sit at home being just house wives, even men are not looking for house wives anymore, they are looking for wives/business partners, no man is willing to marry a woman who won't in one way or the other support the family financially, which makes the work load double on the women's part, u can't go through the stress of cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids with their unending incessant needs and also taking care of your husbands tummy, sexual needs and his laundry all alone, especially those men that sex is as good as food and can have sex if given the opportunity 7 times a day!!!!!! Common we are all humans and not robots, one needs some help here please! But all these chores can be taken care of by both parties when the mutual understanding and respect is present, that's why I said when ur married, two becomes one, where one is failing, the other is there to lift up and correct with love and respect.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by joseph1832(m): 4:59pm On Sep 03, 2016
Berbierklaus:

lalasticlala wink
That woman is drunk with delusion.

1 Like

Re: How True Is This? by postmann: 5:23pm On Sep 03, 2016
joseph1832:

grin grin grin
Re: How True Is This? by crackhaus: 5:38pm On Sep 03, 2016
Berbierklaus:

Why?

TV.01
crackhaus grin

First of all, this Nkechi Bianze is allowed to do as she wishes with the man she gets married to.. I'm just wondering how she would go about setting the ground rules for her husband—like will there be a timetable pasted on all access points in her house scheduling the days/times for who will do the cooking and who will look after the kid(s)? undecided

The problem with her opinion isn't the novelty (heck, we've heard and seen this a little too much from girls who love Telemundo), it's the practicality.

My stance on this issue has always remained the same:
If Nkechi Bianze is lucky enough to marry a man who is completely hands-on with the chores in the house as well as the kids, then she should be thankful. On the flip side however, should Nkechi Bianze get married to a man who isn't about that life of cooking/cleaning then this her sermon will not take her very far unless she intends starting a conflict.
You do not force a man to go into the kitchen to cook/clean or assist with the chores—if he's someone who's sensitive enough to do these things on his own, then that is how it is...no more, no less. (Notice how I didn't include helping with the children, cos I'm of the opinion a man must help with the kids in any little way he can)

At the end of the day, most of the women with such opinions always end up being the chief cook/cleaner/child-minder in their homes...but they will never openly admit to it. gringrin
Na their way!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by crackhaus: 5:42pm On Sep 03, 2016
joseph1832:
There is some sanity to be found in her yet, to my utmost surprise.

https://m.facebook.com/nkechi.bianze/posts/10154880104472195
Re: How True Is This? by joseph1832(m): 5:51pm On Sep 03, 2016
crackhaus:

Yet, what she spewed above bothers on delusion. No man, unless he's a weakling and total wuss bag will applaud her for that nonsense she posted up there.
Re: How True Is This? by crackhaus: 6:02pm On Sep 03, 2016
joseph1832:
Yet, what she spewed above bothers on delusion. No man, unless he's a weakling and total wuss bag will applaud her for that nonsense she posted up there.
Lol..

1 Like

Re: How True Is This? by TV01(m): 6:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
Nothing to see here really. Just another arriviste of sorts forming enlightened ontop an ideology that is faulty, and one she probably doesn't fully grasp.

I take care of household tasks, I spend as much time as I can with my children - i.e. Saturdays I take the children shopping and on to the park, while Mama goes to the gym - and I bring home the bacon. She is not spewing this for todays man or family minded woman.

As ever these "gender equality" types parse everything through their 1 dimensional lens of finances and chores. Equality of the sexes in the sense described is neither optimal, or really desired by most of either sex.

The perceptions, motivators, triggers, stimuli and burdens for males and females vary in such a way as for them not to want this. They always overlook this essential real-life dynamic. Theirs is an "on-paper" ideology.

True equality would be higher earning/status women taking on lower earning/status men as spouses, like men have been doing for eons. Yes all doors have been opened or forcibly kicked down. There are no strictly sex-based roles, no societal demands or conventions one must adhere too.

Oya now equalists, show me where the above, as a general rule, is occurring in large, and successful numbers. Or even where conceptually, women accept this as quite an attractive proposition, then I'll take you seriously - otherwise it's more "running mouth" instead of "running homefront". And yes, lets see what her domestic set-up is.

TV

Berbierklaus:

Why?

TV01
crackhaus grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How True Is This? by TV01(m): 7:15pm On Sep 03, 2016
crackhaus:

I personally see this as more of the same bovine scatology - pardon my French grin. Her thrust in that post was "Financial independence is a non-negotiable prerequisite for gender equality".

Financial differentials are not as a result of "gender inequality (I hate that word gender used in the context of male female angry). In a pared down sense, sexual difference just means it makes more practical sense for men to till the field and women to tend the home front.

To be clear, it is at least as valid to see the biological difference as driving the role difference, which in turn drives the financial earning difference, as it is to assume the financial earnings (responsibility difference) drives the role difference. Equalising earnings/income will not equalise any other aspect of men and womens make-up.

I do take her point about women effectively prostituting themselves (although shouldn't real feminism just see that as their legitimate freewill choice?), but the truth is the majority of women - no matter their earnings or status - will always desire a higher earning/status man.

TV

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 03, 2016
Na so! Nigerian feminist: fierce online, extremely loyal at home. grin

Lemme not talk yet.

2 Likes

Re: How True Is This? by crackhaus: 12:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
TV01:

I personally see this as more of the same bovine scatology - pardon my French grin. Her thrust in that post was "Financial independence is a non-negotiable prerequisite for gender equality".

Financial differentials are not as a result of "gender inequality (I hate that word gender used in the context of male female angry). In a pared down sense, sexual difference just means it makes more practical sense for men to till the field and women to tend the home front.

To be clear, it is at least as valid to see the biological difference as driving the role difference, which in turn drives the financial earning difference, as it is to assume the financial earnings (responsibility difference) drives the role difference. Equalising earnings/income will not equalise any other aspect of men and womens make-up.

I do take her point about women effectively prostituting themselves (although shouldn't real feminism just see that as their legitimate freewill choice?), but the truth is the majority of women - no matter their earnings or status - will always desire a higher earning/status man.

TV
Well let's just say I chose to see the post within that link as glass-half-full rather than glass-half-empty, considering how her opinions in the OP calls to question her sensibilities.
She's the glass BTW. cheesy

The bold text in your post above is the benign truth which some of these ladies still haven't come to understand, hopefully I'll still be alive when Nkechi Bianze and her cohorts finally get it.
Although their argument in that case would certainly flow along the lines, "gender roles being a consequence of biological make-up is molded by the exact same thing they're fighting—patriarchy... ergo, it is not even meant to be so in the first place.

All I say to them though is, keep up with the sermons...it don't hurt. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Sep 04, 2016
Berbierklaus:

lalasticlala wink

This is not feminism, its two adults taking responsibility, I clean the house for my younger brothers because they are lazy and wash the dishes and do the whole scrubbing of bathroom and parlour, first we are all boys and I am someone who hates to depend on people to do things after asking twice coupled with the fact that I went to Navy boarding school and all this were compulsory. So really doing in it in my house hold won't be a big deal.

Feminism considers empowerment of women-hood and opportunities to those who aren't given any prob due to traditional values or culture. e.g Women should not go to school, women must be housewives, women shouldn't work, women shouldn't be drafted into the army. This is just civic adult responsibilities.

*Smokes weed and flies away*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is This? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 04, 2016
crackhaus:

First of all, this Nkechi Bianze is allowed to do as she wishes with the man she gets married to.. I'm just wondering how she would go about setting the ground rules for her husband—like will there be a timetable pasted on all access points in her house scheduling the days/times for who will do the cooking and who will look after the kid(s)? undecided

The problem with her opinion isn't the novelty (heck, we've heard and seen this a little too much from girls who love Telemundo), it's the practicality.

My stance on this issue has always remained the same:
If Nkechi Bianze is lucky enough to marry a man who is completely hands-on with the chores in the house as well as the kids, then she should be thankful. On the flip side however, should Nkechi Bianze get married to a man who isn't about that life of cooking/cleaning then this her sermon will not take her very far unless she intends starting a conflict.
You do not force a man to go into the kitchen to cook/clean or assist with the chores—if he's someone who's sensitive enough to do these things on his own, then that is how it is...no more, no less. (Notice how I didn't include helping with the children, cos I'm of the opinion a man must help with the kids in any little way he can)

At the end of the day, most of the women with such opinions always end up being the chief cook/cleaner/child-minder in their homes...but they will never openly admit to it. gringrin
Na their way!

lol but seriously without being forced any sane guy would want to relieve stress from his partner, but you're right someone explicitly stating down laws for me is a no-go area. before you know it, Sex would soon become a thing of reward thus Sexless marriage. cool

2 Likes

Re: How True Is This? by poundlander: 5:43pm On Sep 04, 2016
k
Re: How True Is This? by crackhaus: 4:45pm On Sep 05, 2016
pcguru1:

lol but seriously without being forced any sane guy would want to relieve stress from his partner, but you're right someone explicitly stating down laws for me is a no-go area. before you know it, Sex would soon become a thing of reward thus Sexless marriage. cool
Absolutely @bold text, but if we were to go by your interpretation of a sane guy, then it means there are a lot of insane men out there bro...and the funny thing is, the wives of such men hardly make a fuss of it. cheesy
Re: How True Is This? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 05, 2016
crackhaus:

Absolutely @bold text, but if we were to go by your interpretation of a sane guy, then it means there are a lot of insane men out there bro...and the funny thing is, the wives of such men hardly make a fuss of it. cheesy

insanity is relative, a husband can be both insane in one household and sane in another smiley
Re: How True Is This? by crackhaus: 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2016
pcguru1:

insanity is relative, a husband can be both insane in one household and sane in another smiley
True that.

My point was...there are quite a number of men who wouldn't know how to locate the cooking spices or the cupboard that houses the serving trays in their kitchen, but are still husband of the year to their wives.

1 Like

Re: How True Is This? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 05, 2016
Well I guess the couple should also alternate who carries the pregnancy of their children, births them and breastfeeds them, just to make everything equal. No cheating, right?
Re: How True Is This? by JuanDeDios: 7:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
pcguru1:

This is not feminism, its two adults taking responsibility, I clean the house for my younger brothers because they are lazy and wash the dishes and do the whole scrubbing of bathroom and parlour, first we are all boys and I am someone who hates to depend on people to do things after asking twice coupled with the fact that I went to Navy boarding school and all this were compulsory. So really doing in it in my house hold won't be a big deal.

Feminism considers empowerment of women-hood and opportunities to those who aren't given any prob due to traditional values or culture. e.g Women should not go to school, women must be housewives, women shouldn't work, women shouldn't be drafted into the army. This is just civic adult responsibilities.
Spot on.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right For A MIL To Bring Food For Her Son (he's An Only Child) & Recently / Help With House Guest / 9 Best Places In Lagos To Raise Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.