Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Jollof Rice - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Jollof Rice (1317 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jollof Rice by amberacious: 4:00pm On Sep 03, 2016
JOLLOF RICE

Like a Pope, I preside over dishes' synod.
Once mere Benachin, then I became a god.

Indeed, I stand a citizen of Wolof tribe,
Bequeathed heritage of West Africa to imbibe.

Senegal fathered my father.
Gambia mothered my mother.

Distinct in nations ruled by cassava,
Even in Mali, I erupt as a molten lava.

In Sierra Leone, I am a national dish,
Yet I glory as every hungry man's wish.

A traditional Sunday Liberian dinner.
Skip me for dinner and become a sinner.

Nigeria serves me at parties for free.
In a parade that is a wonder to see.

In Ghana, with Shito, I do the magic.
Cooked into a taste that beats logic.

In Cameroun, my secret lies in my flavour,
With Coconut milk sauce, I make them savour.

Yes, I am the almighty Jollof rice.
Taste me once, then you want me twice.

- Amberacious Poems (c) 2016.

Photo credit: Google pictures.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jollof Rice by amberacious: 4:01pm On Sep 03, 2016
JOLLOF RICE By Amberacious Poems.

“It was delicious, it was really good. I was told not to compare the Jollof rice to that of neighboring countries.”
- Mark Zuckerber's comment on Nigeria Jollof rice.

Literature Review

Background of the poem
The poem is on Jollof rice, a delicacy that transcend the boundaries of West Africa. Jollof rice originated from the Wolof tribe of Senegal and Gambia before it was introduced to the neighboring Africa through migrants. Though each of these "Jollof rice nations" has her own peculiar method of preparing this sumptuous meal, the end product is always pleasant to anyone that tastes of it, no matter the geographical source. Its efficacy for satisfaction is emphasized by the saying, "I can not please everybody, I am not Jollof rice."

Plot of the poem
The plot is centered Jollof rice's talk about itself, stating its origin, native name, dominance amongst other local dishes and it's peculiarity among the West Africa nations.

Structure of the poem
The poem is a 20 line poem written in couplet form with no particular feet, meter, or syllable structure.

Theme
Traditional dish, African Delicacy, Culture.

Vocabulary
Synod: from the Greek word "synodos" meaning "assembly" or"meeting". It is used in the church setting as assembly of bishops.

Wolof tribe: An ethnic group in Senegal ,The Gambia, and Mauritania. In Senegal the Wolof form an ethnic plurality making up about 43.3% of the population. In Gambia, about 16% of the population are Wolof. In Mauritania, about 8% of the population of the are Wolof. They speak the Wolof language. The Wolof are mostly Sunni Muslims.

Benachin: The name the Wolof tribe call Jollof rice. Benachin literally means “one pot” (bena is one in Wolof, and chin is pot).

Shito: A Ghanaian black pepper sauce used in the preparation of Jollof rice.

PS: So there is this trending debate on who cooks the best jollof rice among these jollof rice nations. Whose jollof rice do you think is the best?
Re: Jollof Rice by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 03, 2016
Wow...Is this how much you love jollof rice? cheesy
Nice poem tho. If I wasn't already in love with jollof rice,reading this would make me want to eat it all day long.

Ps..Naija jollof rice.
'cause I haven't tasted any other.

2 Likes

Re: Jollof Rice by amberacious: 8:43pm On Sep 03, 2016
colik:
Wow...Is this how much you love jollof rice? cheesy
Nice poem tho. If I wasn't already in love with jollof rice,reading this would make me want to eat it all day long.

Ps..Naija jollof rice.
'cause I haven't tasted any other.

Lol..... What shall separate us from the love of jollof rice... Hmmm.... Naija jollof rice? ... I smell patriotism.... cheesy
Re: Jollof Rice by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 03, 2016
amberacious:

Lol..... What shall separate us from the love of jollof rice... Hmmm.... Naija jollof rice? ... I smell patriotism.... cheesy

I'm a patriot alright. grin

1 Like

Re: Jollof Rice by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 08, 2016
I go blank trying to praise you. The fitting words are not just there. This work is amazing...

1 Like

Re: Jollof Rice by Godspower12(m): 3:28pm On Sep 08, 2016
wow nice work.... Not many will carry out this much research on a poem

1 Like

Re: Jollof Rice by amberacious: 7:09pm On Sep 08, 2016
TheAgba:
I go blank trying to praise you. The fitting words are not just there.
This work is amazing...

Awwww.... #Blushing..... I 'm humbled.... Thanks.
Re: Jollof Rice by amberacious: 7:12pm On Sep 08, 2016
Godspower12:
wow nice work.... Not many will carry out this much research on a poem

Thanks.... Anything for the love of poetry and jollof rice.... Lol.... Thanks i'm glad you like it.... Hope you love jollof rice as well?
Re: Jollof Rice by Godspower12(m): 8:26am On Sep 09, 2016
amberacious:

Thanks.... Anything for the love of poetry and jollof rice.... Lol.... Thanks i'm glad you like it.... Hope you love jollof rice as well?
. Yes na....who no like jollof rice??

(1) (Reply)

A Sample Of My Latest Crime Story / Post Your Christmas Poems Here / A Whisper In The Dark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.