Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist (17101 Views)

Top 10 Weakest Currency In Africa (See List) / Naira Among Worst Performing Global Currencies In 2016 / Naira Now Africa’s Worst Performing Currency Of 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by EmekaBlue(m): 3:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
Nigeria is in trouble.. D worse is yet to unveil.. Impeach d dullard
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by Smooyis(m): 3:41pm On Sep 06, 2016
The fact remains, everything that goes up must come down. This hard time won't last long. I pray for God's intervention. Nigeria needs restructuring.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 06, 2016
if u ave any question u can call/whatsapp 08145897734 and if u want tl register you can do so via http:///?i=Oyegbadesunny@gmail.com
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by president3h: 3:53pm On Sep 06, 2016
Once dis kind of news surfaces, u will not see that idiot called hungerbad , he will hide his dirty ass as if he no read dis one, but where he is, God will always punish him and his likes for supporting buhari and evil

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by mrZENographer: 3:53pm On Sep 06, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:
Buhari has finally finished us...

Fina? if i hear u..
This is first year of Buharo administration and your saying finally? Just negodu.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by manutdrichie(m): 3:58pm On Sep 06, 2016
agarawu23:
We dont need a soothsayer to tell us angry

Hope u are not wailing?
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by Opeade939(f): 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2016
manutdrichie:
Our prayer now is that he should even take us back to May 29, 2015
And how is that even possible?
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by smileysmiley(f): 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2016
God please give Nigeria the much needed miracle... if we decide to start running away from the country now, where will we run to Nigeria is ours, help us keep her alive
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by wristbangle: 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2016
God of mercy crycry

Have mercy on your children. Things are really tough but we believe it will get better In Jesus Name.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by MissingBudget: 4:37pm On Sep 06, 2016
We said it, but zombies said even with NEPA bill, they'll vote for Buhari. grin
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by Rekyz(m): 4:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
Ain't finding this funny anymore. Someone need to be axed!
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by ashala(m): 4:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
Chai Chai Chai
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by datigbogirl: 4:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
LordVarys:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21702474-new-floating-exchange-rate-was-fixed-may-be-changing-if-you-love-it?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/ifyouloveit

A currency is supposed to perform irrespective of the past administrations woes.... For Naira to be the worst preforming currency immediately after takeover is a sign of ineptitude...
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by InvertedHammer: 4:53pm On Sep 06, 2016
/
Am I surprised?

All those textbook quasi-economists (even on nairaland) who were proponents of devaluation have gone deaf and dumb.

While I argued that devaluation must have a foundation on certain indices, they embraced the phantom analysis of the IMF.

Well...enjoy yourselves. I will like to see naira exchanged at N1000 per dollar. Like I always say, "not my problem".
\
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by banio: 5:03pm On Sep 06, 2016
ClitRaider:
Nigeria needs NOI & Adesina asap.
Perhaps GEJ too.
APC are bunch of incompetent basterrds.

I concur. Is Angola not in Africa?. They are doing great because of a good leader. It will take Nigeria over 2yrs for our currency to go back to 29th May 2015
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by 4wrd9ja: 5:07pm On Sep 06, 2016
mengho:
Buharis economic team are not doing enough. CBN got no extra dollar to cushion the effects of dis recession & some stup*d Nigerians keep hoarding d dollar so they could get rich as thier country & the naira dies while they grow rich.

The middle & upper class + plus nairalanders should stop the blame games, after all even toilet paper you buy d imported one & you expect d naira to magically gain value, keep deceiving urselves
it's the government job to do the job it's elected to do ,not blame every body if it's not previous. government,its falling oil prices or the citizens importing what they need but not available in the country, meanwhile the real culprit is the government who is spending over 40% of scare forex importing products we have in abundance thereby putting unnecessary pressure on the naira because it lack the political will to do its job, waiting for three years for dangote refinery is very silly.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by chloride6: 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
Am I surprised?

All those textbook quasi-economists (even on nairaland) who were proponents of devaluation have gone deaf and dumb.

While I argued that devaluation must have a foundation on certain indices, they embraced the phantom analysis of the IMF.

Well...enjoy yourselves. I will like to see naira exchanged at N1000 per dollar. Like I always say, "not my problem".
\

We haven't gone deaf,we are just tired of this president and his docile economic team.

Did they de-value at the right time?

De-valuing when economic indices are already in the red.

De-valuing 9 months ago would have avoided this situation. De-valuing then would have allowed continued flow of dollars in form of bonds and stocks. Who want to bear your exchange rate risk for you?

They know what to do but are too stubborn to do it. They need the IMF package even God knows it.

You have less than $25 Billion in external reserves and are still forming stubborn.

The Nigerian economy cannot thrive beyond the N250/$ threshold.

Watch the dollars go to 500, once it touches 450.

Have a nice day and stop praising the president!
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by tiwiex(m): 5:54pm On Sep 06, 2016
kaylex1994:
You think this picture illustration nah lie?
Haba, this naira still fat oh
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by agarawu23(m): 6:04pm On Sep 06, 2016
manutdrichie:

Hope u are not wailing?
no sir!
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by isnovic(m): 6:15pm On Sep 06, 2016
...and he keeps disappointing.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by Aroh48(m): 6:25pm On Sep 06, 2016
Buhari have finish this country
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by Fidelismaria: 7:01pm On Sep 06, 2016
Buhari Needs To Be Impeached Bad News Everywhere
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by isnovic(m): 7:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
In case you are wondering what is happening.....like me.

I did the Math and the result stood tall and was staring me in the face no matter how much I tried to rationalize it.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. Super Economic Corodinator.

Okonjo-Iweala was educated at the International School Ibadan and Harvard University, graduating magna cum laude with an AB in Economics in 1976, and earned her PhD in regional economics and development from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1981. She received an International Fellowship from the American Association of University Women (AAUW) that supported her doctoral studies.[5]

Kemi Adeosun

[img][/img]

She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from the University of East London and a Postgraduate Diploma in Public Financial Management from the University of London. She qualified as a Chartered Accountant with the Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales in 1994.

Plus her principal who is too head stuck in old ways she will continue to reap poor results like this.

She stands no chance with her experience.

Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by Realist2: 8:31pm On Sep 06, 2016
Another bad record breaking by buhari.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by peterjero(m): 9:07pm On Sep 06, 2016
Was it not this same Economist that called GEJ an ineffectual buffoon, and made our youngsters who wouldn't bother reading their history books to know Buhari was the worst performing military head of state in the 1980s and voted him into office to destroy structures of progress laid down by GEJ.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by InvertedHammer: 9:53pm On Sep 06, 2016
chloride6:

We haven't gone deaf,we are just tired of this president and his docile economic team.

Did they de-value at the right time?

De-valuing when economic indices are already in the red.

De-valuing 9 months ago would have avoided this situation. De-valuing then would have allowed continued flow of dollars in form of bonds and stocks. Who want to bear your exchange rate risk for you?

They know what to do but are too stubborn to do it. They need the IMF package even God knows it.

You have less than $25 Billion in external reserves and are still forming stubborn.

The Nigerian economy cannot thrive beyond the N250/$ threshold.

Watch the dollars go to 500, once it touches 450.

Have a nice day and stop praising the president!
/
There is no appropriate time for devaluation of naira. Devaluation without a manufacturing and exporting base is idiotic. Countries like China, Japan, etc that play currency manipulation games do it to favour their exports. The only thing naira relies on is oil which price Nigeria cannot control. Devaluation leads to inflation. But in an import dependent economy like Nigeria, it has led to stagflation-- inflation on top of stagnant economy. Let me see Nigeria wriggle out of it. Every policy should be tailored to the interests of a nation.

As I stated, the textbook economists in Nigeria like to vomit crammed thesis without critical analysis of the underlying principles. Not only in economics, Nigeria is a country full of first class students in various fields that cannot stand the test of time because they lack the basic grasp of the applications of learned subjects. Remarkably, those empty barrels are the ones that are quick to show off the long list of useless certificates.

Take a closer look at China. How did China become an economic giant? They bypassed R& D, copied prototypes and produce/manufacture with minimal overhead. What do Nigerians copy? Sagging, ear-rings, plaiting of hair. While the Chinese are building factories, Nigerians are building hotels.

Do you want to know how shameless Nigeria is? Think about Rio Olympics.
\

2 Likes

Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by damton(m): 1:41am On Sep 07, 2016
banio:

I concur. Is Angola not in Africa?. They are doing great because of a good leader. It will take Nigeria over 2yrs for our currency to go back to 29th May 2015

Did you just say Angola?

I hope you are aware that Angola inflation just shoot too over 30% and their currency too have lost over 30% within the period in question.

The truth is, you can divorce the influence of global oil price crash to the present predicament of most oil producers.
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by addicted268(f): 4:54am On Sep 07, 2016
LordVarys:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21702474-new-floating-exchange-rate-was-fixed-may-be-changing-if-you-love-it?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/ifyouloveit
Hello op. I'm very curious. Not about this your thread o,cos it's obvious to d blind that naija is in trouble . of all d characters in game of thrones, Please why did you choose lordvarys as your moniker?
Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by nigerianvenom(m): 7:18am On Sep 07, 2016
Just tired of staying in this country. No good news since this man came to power,not even one. What sort of life is this? Isn't this cruelty to humanity? U made so many promises, yet can't keep them and can't allow things be the way it was before u came to power. Buhari, why are u so wicked? Nigerians, why did u guys vote in this old useless dullard? I can't even buy things I used to buy before now without groaning.
God help us before 2019!
2019 us to far.

Re: Naira is Worst Performing Currency In Africa In 2016-The Economist by nigerianvenom(m): 7:19am On Sep 07, 2016
damola311:
You will never see dem passingshot, omenka, Ngwenu-bigmouth and Co In this kind of thread.

But If Power increased by 1KW, dem go rush for FP

grin grin grin angry grin grin grin
It's no longer funny bro. Things have gotten worst.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Convert Federal Reserves To Chinese Currency / Femi Otedola, Dangote And Donald Duke Pictured At An Event / 5 Profitable Businesses A Student Can Venture Into On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.