Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,378 members, 7,864,721 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 04:26 AM

Are They My Family Members? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are They My Family Members? (697 Views)

Funny Accusation From Extended Family Members / Doctor, 3 Family Members Die In Auto Crash (Photos) / Guy Brought His Oyinbo Wife Back Home & His Family Members Were Astonished -pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are They My Family Members? by solace2013: 2:36am On Sep 05, 2016
I chose my family members. That someone is related to my father or mother doesn't make that person my family. I lost my dad when I was a teenager, his siblings colluded with some unscrupulous members of his extended family to pounce on the landed property, his farmlands, cocoa, oil palm and kolanut plantations he left behind and share among themselves. They sold out these parcels of land with the crops in them. I heard from one of them who didn't know me at that time that "they should do quick with the sales since his children were growing fast and would challenge them when they have the means". I'd wanted to actually challenge them legally since I have access to certain important documents through my father's friends few years ago after graduation but my mother insisted I shouldn't, saying God is our portion on earth. I and my siblings went through hell to get education, my mother engaged in several derogatory menial jobs for us to feed. That's the wife of a man who left 9 hectares of cocoa plantation at time of his death in 1995. I met two of my father's siblings at the funeral of my fathers half elder brother two weeks ago, the late uncle was a very truthful and peaceful retired postman (Baba PM), these two came to me where I was seated at the reception to ask me if I know they're my family, l told them straight off that it was my late dad who died 21 years ago who's their family and not me, they left quietly. I chose my family members myself though I am trying to relieve myself of all grudges against them, they can never be my family members. A son of one of these members of my father's family have just written a long letter to me in Yoruba language, I learnt he's an auto technician in Ibadan, he begged seriously on behalf of these people and pleaded that I and my siblings should learn to forget the past and that we should come together to form a united family unit that we ought to be. Apology accepted but coming to regard these criminals as my family? No! I haven't replied him yet, I'm even thinking of not replying him.
How do you see my action? Are these people really my family members?
Re: Are They My Family Members? by kennybabs1980: 2:54am On Sep 05, 2016
What was the contribution of the late "truthful and peaceful" Baba PM? Didn't he made attempt to reconcile you with these "unscrupulous" family members before he died?
Re: Are They My Family Members? by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 05, 2016
This life sha
This happens time and time again but no one ever learns
The ones who sold the land and dispose of another mans sweat & cheat the rightful widow and children still never do well in life.
With all the money they stole, their kid still ended up as a mechanic.

Tell them you have accepted their apology, but do keep them at arms length.
I assume you have your own family now
Focus on your own family.
They are your responsibility and more important

God forbid anything happens to you, however And please please please its never to early to write a will and put things in place, so that your loved ones wont suffer as no one can be trusted,
No one prays to die young, but it happens.

3 Likes

Re: Are They My Family Members? by Mafio: 9:26am On Sep 05, 2016
Hmmm
Forgive
My own and my sis hmmm
It was terrible, thank God.
Accept them and keep ur distance.
The shame that is killing them.....
I bet never is their wildest imagination have they y think you will survive.
And be what u are today.
Pls let the anger in u go, it hard but forgive them.
But make sure u tell them in person, let them know how u feel let it all out ....
Re: Are They My Family Members? by ifyalways(f): 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2016
Forgive them but deal with them from afar.

(1) (Reply)

Female Professional Drivers / A Humble But Hilarious Advice From A Facebook User Regarding Inlaws / Recession: No End Of Year Party For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.