Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,003 members, 7,838,515 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Young, Consistent&perfect Squad Player, Do Arsenal Really Need Joel Campbell? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Young, Consistent&perfect Squad Player, Do Arsenal Really Need Joel Campbell? (525 Views)

Meet Joel Obi's Wife And Son (Photos) / Joel Obi Set For Eagles Return, Stars For Torino Vs Juve / Which Top Player Do You Want Your Club To Buy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Young, Consistent&perfect Squad Player, Do Arsenal Really Need Joel Campbell? by luciomoggi(m): 10:13am On Sep 08, 2016
By Ewah Chika.

When Joel Campbell was signed from Deportivo Saprissa in 2011, Arsenal fans did not take the signing serious until the youngster burst unto the scene at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, driving his team to the quarter-finals with his sublime performance after qualifying with Uruguay from a group which also comprised of England and Italy. It was highly believed at the time that the youngster will return to Arsenal after the tournament but such didn't happen as Campbell was sent on a fourth loan to Greek champions Olympiakos.

The Costa Rican returned to Arsenal and started the 2015/2016 season with the North London club and although it took him time before featuring for the team , the 24-year-old did not just provide goal threat he also put a defensive shift on the right side of attack which quickly won over the fans. Campbell proved to be a reliable squad player for the team after seizing the opportunity of playing following the injuries to first team players like Aaron Ramsey, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade Chamberlain last season.

"You want to be surprised by the quality of your players and where he (Campbell) surprised you is in the intensity of his teamwork . I flat-refused to let him go on loan because I saw something in him that gives you belief , because of his attitude," were tge revelations of Arsene Wenger in January during the Costa Rican's good run of form.

This was why it was shocking that the attacker was withdrawn in the league game against Swansea after opening the scoring in a game which Arsenal dully lost 2-1. Things will only get worse as Campbell was also not started when Arsenal faced Barcelona in February in the Champions League quarter-final as Wenger preferred Chamberlain on the wings after the Englishman returned from injury (at the end, Arsenal were thoroughly beaten home and away by the Spanish side ). From then on, it became clear the Costa Rican wasn't Wenger's favourite which was vindicated this season after he was sent on loan while Wenger retained the services of Chamberlain, Yaya Sanogo and Theo Walcott after the trio have blown hot and cold, yet to repay the faith placed on them by the coach since their signings years ago.

"I am at an important step in my career and saw that I would not have many chances to play at Arsenal so I asked to go on loan.

"I could have chosen to stay and have a good salary, but I'd rather go after my dream," declared Campbell last week after growing frustrated with limited game time and sealing a loan move to Sporting Lisbon in the summer.

This would be Campbell's fifth loan in Europe as an Arsenal player after playing on loan for the likes of Lorient, Real Betis, Villarreal and Olympiakos. In total the attacker played 30 games in all competitions for Arsenal scoring four goals although it was his zeal and team effort that won him over to the fans.

Although not yet world class or a finished product, no one will argue that Campbell should have been given more chances at the North London club judging from his performances of late. Arsenal had an above average summer transfer by their standards after spending an excess of £80 million in signings of the of Lucas Perez, Mustafi and Granit Xhaka , yet this hasn't gone down well with the fans after the sale and loaning of Serge Gnabry and Joel Campbell who are believed to have more quality than the trio of Theo Walcott, Yaya Sanogo and Alex Oxlade Chamberlain respectively . For now, it is too early to say whether it was a mistake to let Campbell go considering the poor and pathetic injury record of the Gunners, but come May things will only become clearer.

Source: Mailtelegraph..com

http://mailtelegraph..com.ng/2016/09/young-consistent-and-reliable-do.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

I Am As Good As Messi & Ronaldo – Alexis Sanchez / Jose Mourinho & Pep Guardiola Shutdown Rivalry Of Manchester Derby / Toure Won’t Play Until He Says Sorry – Guardiola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.