Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,429 members, 7,850,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:52 PM

Absence Of Security In Nigeria In The Presence Of It - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Absence Of Security In Nigeria In The Presence Of It (347 Views)

A Pregnant Woman Raped By Fulani Herdsmen Dies In Presence Of Ortom (photo) / Man Beaten Up By Policemen In The Presence Of His Lady In Port-Harcourt. Photos / "Man Attacked In The Presence Of Policemen In Edo". Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Absence Of Security In Nigeria In The Presence Of It by RCINC: 8:36am On Sep 09, 2016
This is a rant.
Every night while going home, our cab stops at a check point where our driver gives a fancy handshake to a policeman after a minute of worded combat.
I live at the satellite town in Calabar, an safe haven for my thoughts I might say as its tranquility is of a different breed from that in the main town, should there be any in the main town.
It's where a lot of folks with a thirst for environmental serenity reside, and this lot of folks include some politicians and lots of individuals with hefty bank accounts.
It's no wonder why the neighborhood has become prey to malevolent young men and their cohorts, waiting for the next fence to jump and rob. It is because of them and the agitation they give raving dogs that we no longer sleep at night.
Rarely would you find a house without a dog waiting to rip the next intruder apart, yet, with each passing day there are sorry tales of a burglary in a house close to yours that leaves you anticipating your turn with fear like a child at the dentist's.
I have never fallen prey to these ones but I kid you not I have awoken to a pair of thieving eyes  peering at me in the dark through the window and scampering away at the outburst of my screams.
Welcome to the satellite town, that has young men trafficking guns to enrich their pockets off another's sweat.
The satellite town where a car parked in your house is done so at your risk.
The satellite town where fences as strong as Jericho's wall is child play to thieves.
The satellite town that now has the security of the police every night.
The police are there to scan cars and ensure that nothing shady passes by.
They are there to ensure the thieving young men don't get to destination.
They are there so we can sleep at night or pray or Bleep without interruption from barking dogs
They are there however to enrich their pockets and get hold of hundred and fifty naira's.
Under their watch, we have had robbery cases
Under their watch crimes still get committed
Why?
Because of the incompetence that is the Nigerian security system.
Because oga police would lazily collect his change and forget to properly scan the vehicle.
Because oga police doesn't care about the security.
Because oga police might be the first to run should in case a gun is shot.
Because "hold it, your particulars there" is another way of saying "I want fifty box".
We were sitting in this cab watching one shamelessly drag 'change' with the cab man, when our cab moves I hear the many sorry tales of the Nigerian police and how evil continues to escape under their watch and I'm ashamed!
"Give them 1000 naira, you go turn suspect, give them 50 box ehen na wetin dem want be that"
Nigeria, which way?

https://theadoraweb./2016/09/09/absence-of-security-in-nigeria-in-the-presence-of-it/
Re: Absence Of Security In Nigeria In The Presence Of It by agwom(m): 8:57am On Sep 09, 2016
hmm

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Driver, Others Arrested For Conspiracy And Impersonation / N13 BILLION In Frozen Account Belongs To Me - Says Patience Jonathan / 52 Illegal Refineries And Kidnappers Camp Destroyed In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.