Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? (19077 Views)

Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. / Important Contents Of Your Contract, Employment Letter Before You Sign / 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by NobleG1(m): 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
It is your right to demand it. But it may cost you the job if your boss is unreasonable and doesn't like to follow standard procedures.

Receiving payments every month from them is also a proof that you work there because their company name will be on the payment info. and that can also be used legally to sue.

And some companies do have work ID, which can also be used in the court.

But the Letter of Employment is better and makes things easier. So my advice is to do one of the following;

1. Politely demand for a Letter of Employment. That you receive it each time you get employment.

2. Lie to him that you found a new apartment you want to rent but the landlord is demanding for a document that shows you have a job because he doesn't want a jobless tenant. Then you ask for the Letter of Employment
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Cheechy(f): 2:55pm On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
I recently just got a job and i wasn't offered an employment letter. They just told me my salary, period of probation and when to resume verbally without making it official. I'm kind of skeptical about the offer because the firm is a new one.
I want to know the implication of this before committing myself to the job.

You will be a slave with no rights.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by vikaosi: 3:15pm On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
I recently just got a job and i wasn't offered an employment letter. They just told me my salary, period of probation and when to resume verbally without making it official. I'm kind of skeptical about the offer because the firm is a new one.

You need not panic. The employer has up to three months to formalise it. Till then, the oral terms agreed on by both of you guides your employment.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Kulas: 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2016
If u dont have job presently,then u can accept it while seriously looking for another job.But if you have a job already,then shun this one.You are mature enough to know the disadvantages of job without employment letter.Also note that if ur Boss is a man,then prepare to enter bed room servicing contract with him.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Boyooosa(m): 3:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
stag:

Hahahaha! grin
You remind me of PennyWise, Wealth Solution, Nospetco! This boss of mine fell in too deep for their stories with all his savings, went to his village and collected money from nearly all the elderly women he could find. When the calabash fell and broke he nearly fainted. He sat down, unbottoned his shirt in the office and was sweating profusely inside A/C! He didn't need anybody to tell him when he checked the company's account balance by himself and saw it frozen. He went on self imposed exile. Haven't heard of that man since then. It's now funny but that year, it wasn't undecided

So I'm sure you can imagine how laid back I am with a smile watching these folks talk proudly of one ponzi scheme in all its glory grin

Back to the topic, ask for it at/before resumption.
Teachers nko? Dem suffer for their hand. Imarle self fall for them, I never too tap then (although I dey doubt them then but I no get sound analysis to do so I couldn't convince any body). But now, I will tell anybody that is ready to learn that 'network marketing- trenee, Omega h3, gnld and the likes' Are all modern slavery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Headmaster055(m): 3:54pm On Sep 11, 2016
Is Nigeria anything goes!!!......
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by labiola: 3:56pm On Sep 11, 2016
Fire you without any reasons
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by pressplay411(m): 3:58pm On Sep 11, 2016
Yomieluv:
the boss must be a cunny person, by doing that, you have no evidence against him/her in defaulting in payment of salary..

You have no job designation also, meaning your job is anything goes..

In the event of searching for another job, you have no document to back your Years of experience...

You can also be fired without any compensation..

In short, you aren't employed, you are just a busy person..

lol @ busy person. been there done that so that hit home.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Henrichemeka(m): 4:18pm On Sep 11, 2016
Some establishments gives offer of employment letter immediately you are offered the job while some don't. Just be patient with them and wait for some time, then if nothing happen meet the boss in charge and gently ask him
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by itsmisterdavid: 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
My dear, demand for an employment letter before you resume. Even if it's a temporary one. This thing happened to my cousin in Abuja. After one month, they told him to go...no pay. Be wise, shine your eye. This is Nigeria oooo
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by joshrare(m): 5:19pm On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:

You get fired by sms

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by dapiluv: 5:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
I got my present job five(5) years ago without employment letter,since then i have not really regret it.But its not the best way to secure employment.In this type employment you don't have say because there are no set condition for your employment by virtue of this you have to accept every rubbish by closing late,by calling you all sort names all in the name that you are just favoured.My brother,in absence of none i advice you to take while searching for another one.God help us.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by aigbokiejohnson(m): 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2016
Dangerous trend. Had a similar experience but had to worked away after a verbal notification since dre is no reference or terms of agreement officially. Pls, ask for it and let be registered that you did.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by justmi1: 6:37pm On Sep 11, 2016
Ironically, I have been working for a year now, without any employment letter, and my salary no dey pass 26th, in fact my employer don't have my CV or any other employees CV, we family grin, we good!!! No wonder we find it hard to leave and she finds it hard to sack us. One love
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by vkon2(m): 6:59pm On Sep 11, 2016
saintkeppy:
. My sis was in the same situation as yours. Infact She had to lie pretty, just to get part of her salaries owed but she still left 4months unpaid salaries behind without notice or resignation letter cos there was no sign of salary payment at all infact they did'nt take staff welfare serious. She could not bring up any case against them cos there was no proof of "Offer of Employment letter".
She felt so bad &since moved-on.
If i may ask how do u cope with TP atleast?
about the TP
Our company Lodge there workers in a guest house close to any working site
And thank God for me, I saw alert, one month salary last night, I guess it's because of the SALA.
And wen I said four months salary, we all only work two months and the remaining two months we are all at home
Since they did not give us redundancy whenever they gat the money they will pay, they only deduct ten% from our salary still we start full time work, by then our salary will be 100%
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by saintkeppy(m): 7:13pm On Sep 11, 2016
vkon2:
about the TP
Our company Lodge there workers in a guest house close to any working site
And thank God for me, I saw alert, one month salary last night, I guess it's because of the SALA.
And wen I said four months salary, we all only work two months and the remaining two months we are all at home
Since they did not give us redundancy whenever they gat the money they will pay, they only deduct ten% from our salary still we start full time work, by then our salary will be 100%
. Ok, 2months at home? O'boy! thats enuff time to run some professional skill based certification short course or serious biz 4mo' income. i can see u work with a construction company, na flexin' tinz u dey na. enjoy!
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by vkon2(m): 7:34pm On Sep 11, 2016
saintkeppy:
. Ok, 2months at home? O'boy! thats enuff time to run some professional skill based certification short course or serious biz 4mo' income. i can see u work with a construction company, na flexin' tinz u dey na. enjoy!
sure frnd
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Pritipat: 9:42pm On Sep 11, 2016
if it is not a well structured organization dont worry yourself as long as you are been paid at the end of the month, but if the reverse is the case keep reminding them of your appointment letter, you might be under watch. once they are ok with you,you will definately get your appointment letter.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Ayoola171(m): 12:09am On Sep 12, 2016
KillerBeauty:

Hello, may God crown our effort.
Don't mind my different opinion and don't bother if the said company is outside Lagos. After reading your question, i was inspired to ask you some few questions due to the fellow i knew that had similar experience.
Though you stated that is a new company, but like how many staffs do you met during recruitment process?
Did the company have a functional office?
Do you normally have meeting with the CEO of the said company around un-official enviroments like hotel lounge or Mr. Biggs?
Those that recruit you are a black man as chairman and a bit fair man as the assistance?
Their names start with "grin" and "V" respectively?
If the company you're taking about has different features from all these clues, then you can go ahead and ask for your employment letter. But if all i said are common to them, then we can talk more. All the best.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Collins2028(m): 6:09am On Sep 12, 2016
[quote author=KillerBeauty post=49246167]I recently just got a job and i wasn't offered an employment letter.

I got a job with Consultant firm that started operations in less than a year now, that only send agreement latter through our corporate mail if accepted that we'll be confirm within two months off probation. since January until date the appointment latter the firm promised that will send to us through hard copy have not be sent to us, even the money the company promised to pay haven't be upgraded to that level.

friends! I want u the to help me to find out why delay to fulfill the promise and suggest to me the step I'll take and what is the implication of delay to confirm or to send the hard copy of the appointment latter to us.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Brightgem(f): 8:03am On Sep 12, 2016
Mintayo:
Please ask for the letter. Otherwise, you have not gotten a job yet dear.
Also, no job description, meaning you may be asked to do things you wouldn't want to do.
Kikikikikkki like go and buy Akara for oga. OP U need that letter.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Mintayo(m): 8:19am On Sep 12, 2016
Brightgem:
Kikikikikkki like go and buy Akara for oga. OP U need that letter.
I am telling you.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by aduje(m): 9:15am On Sep 12, 2016
KillerBeauty:

@OP, if you have not resumed, please ensure you get the appointment letter stating the condition of service, position, status, salary, bonuses, targets, annual leave etc. Also, job specification is important. I have fallen victim, I have been struggling to come out of a similar lockjam I put myself. I lost my job sometimes in 2010, as a sales executive. And without waste of time, I started doing freelance and commissioned sales work (glorified hawking). Then a friend and a senior colleague in my former place of work called me and shared a dream of establishing a company and making me the business/operation manager. In 2012, we got office, and kicked off. I didn't have an appointment letter, no job specification, no condition of service, no job description. He was giving me allowances per month and per week. (Not fixed, he does that as he is pleased). In February 2013, the company leap with contract breakthrough, he employed additional 3 staff with appointment letter and conditions of service. He gave me a used car and placed me on a salary of 50% of my net at our former place. No letter no memo. This is 2016, I'm still on that salary, no fuel and maintenance allowance for the official car attached to me. Each time I raise issue of welfare or pay rise, he gets angry and then persuade me to be patient. He frequently credit my account with amount I never solicit for and detuct it monthly (imposed loan) because of that, I couldn't dump the job. Till date, no annual leave, no bonus, no salary increment. I don't have file as a staff, the only thing I have is staff ID card and the official car. No job specification, no closing time. Sometimes we do weekend and public holidays job depending on the contract we have.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 12, 2016
KillerBeauty:
Okay. I will have to demand for it on resumption day then. To avoid stories

nice move!
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by ArcToyin(m): 7:58pm On Sep 12, 2016
I have been working in a company for two months now yet to receive my appointment letter but my two months salary has been paid. Though, the excuse the admin manager who happened to be the son of the MD said he is weak in typing it cos he couldn't find the prototype they often use. In case of any negative action, I have their work on my system which I will just hold on to. so Op just try to have any of their doc to hold in case they want to tell u any story when you are supposed to be paid.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by compuseun: 12:47am On Sep 13, 2016
They are trying to tell you that you are just a casual worker.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by lekebanko: 4:31pm On Sep 18, 2016
This is a tricky one for most job seekers/fresh recruits due to the blinding effect of job insecurity and poverty prevalent in our society.

Your obtaining an employment letter, clearly specifying your job designation and other entitlements/obligations is important as it is the foundation of a contract of employment.

Your letter of employment is also one of the vital documents required to successfully institute and prosecute a court case if you were to be unlawfully dismissed or wrongfully terminated from your job.

You could trick your employer into handing you the letter by informing him that you need same for an official purpose.

For instance, you could say that as a requirement to pay your tax, tax officials demanded 1. your letter of employment, 2. a letter of introduction from the employer as proof of your employment in the company, 3. staff ID card and 4. your salary account statement from your bank in order to verify your employment status and to correctly ascertain your Monthly income.

By so doing, your employer's hands would be tied and he'll be left with no other option than to avail you of all your entitlements unless, of course, he has ulterior motives.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by mecho13(m): 8:20am On Sep 19, 2016
compuseun:
They are trying to tell you that you are just a casual worker.

That's simply the summary of it. I'm a victim of that
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by toprealman: 8:58pm On Sep 20, 2016
DMeanMan:
It is like getting married without a Marriage Certificate.

At the very end, you'll have nothing to show for it.
Are you for real? Go tell that to Sunny Ade.....his response will wake you up from SLUMBER.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by cabsense: 12:08pm On Sep 21, 2016
You should know if the company is a fraud or not, where i worked before they gave me my employment letter after one month and with my observation i was able to know that they cant do that bad, but if you are working already request for it before you resign to avoid story that touches.
toprealman:
Are you for real? Go tell that to Sunny Ade.....his response will wake you up from SLUMBER.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ushers Needed In Lagos / Massive Recruitment At Akwa Ibom Water Corporation / Baker Hughes Massive Recruitment 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.