Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,450 members, 7,770,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:20 AM

Mikel Admits He Paid His Own Money To Save Nigeria's Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Admits He Paid His Own Money To Save Nigeria's Olympics (640 Views)

This Guy's Job Is To Distribute Condoms At The RIO Olympics / Marjorie Enya Proposes To Isadora Cerullo At The Olympics (PICS&VIDEO) / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Admits He Paid His Own Money To Save Nigeria's Olympics by delikay4luv: 8:35pm On Sep 10, 2016
John Obi Mikel has slammed the Nigeria Football Federation after he was forced to put up his own money to help his country achieve their remarkable bronze medal at Rio 2016.
The Nigeria captain organised travel, paid for meals and booked training pitches while trying to physically and tactically prepare for games.
The bronze medal, Mikel explained, was his country's only moment of glory during the Olympics amid the troubles he had in Brazil.
"I think if we talk about the money that I put into the team I think it was more than [£30,000]," Mikel told
Goal . "But we just had to do it.
"I said to myself, 'I won’t let this happen. If I can help, I’ll try to help'. Sometimes there was no food, sometimes there was no pitch to train on, there was no bus to go to the training ground. So all of this was what me and the coach had to figure out, and get money together.
"I came to the camp. I sat down with the boys in Atlanta and I could see the frustration, the pain and the anger. Their aim was to play in the Olympics, their goal was to play in the Olympics.
"And for me being there and seeing what they are going through, they are young boys, they want to start their career and someone in the ministry is trying to crush that dream."
Mikel and his Nigeria team-mates' problems began in the United States as they trained in Atlanta, where Nigeria won a shock gold medal in 1996 after a thrilling 3-2 win over Argentina.
He had to work closely on off-the-pitch arrangements with the Nigeria coach Samson Siasia and told of how, after problems with funding for the flights to the tournament, his team arrived only hours before their first game, which they remarkably still won against Sweden.
"There was just no flight provided by the Nigerian ministry," he added. "We planned to leave three or four days before the tournament, but we ended up leaving the day of our first game. It was a difficult one. I don’t think I have ever seen something like that before, it was crazy.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-gb/news/25362/olympic-games/2016/09/10/27384292/mikel-admits-he-paid-his-own-money-to-save-nigerias-olympics?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Mikel Admits He Paid His Own Money To Save Nigeria's Olympics by prinsam30: 8:59pm On Sep 10, 2016
And the confused minister with him white beard peakmilk NFF Boss claimed all the glory.

thank you very much Obi Na Fire, God bless u very plentiful
Re: Mikel Admits He Paid His Own Money To Save Nigeria's Olympics by iyyke(m): 9:44pm On Sep 10, 2016
from page news ooo . God bless Obi.. as for de Red Barret Sargent.. Mke I no tok much
Re: Mikel Admits He Paid His Own Money To Save Nigeria's Olympics by Busch: 12:20pm On Sep 11, 2016
when the government dey hold money, Common player dey help promote hin country

thunder fire Apc
,and don't ask me what APC has to do with this...

GOD BLESS MIKEL, AND GIVE HIM A BETTER FORM FOR CHELSEA.

(1) (Reply)

Pogba’s Agent Plotting Another World Record Deal? Check Out His Latest Target / West Ham Donates £35,000 To Anambra FA, Grammar School As FMIA Kicks Off (pics) / Chelsea Players Pay Their Tribute To The Plane Crash Victims, Chapecoense Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.